Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Yogyakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Yogyakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Srisarin
I’ll assume you meant 4AM, but recognize that Indonesia is a Muslim country and call to prayer should be expected in Yogi and elsewhere

There are 5 daily prayers, so it’s easy enough to get confused.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Srisarin
I’ll assume you meant 4AM, but recognize that Indonesia is a Muslim country and call to prayer should be expected in Yogi and elsewhere

Corrected.

The surprise wasn't the call to prayer, it was that it was so loud from within our room.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 54austin
Corrected.

The surprise wasn't the call to prayer, it was that it was so loud from within our room.
You don’t know loud. I once lived with 3-4 mosques nearby in different directions in Jakarta. Just as one would stop another would start.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

Also did a 3 night stay here last week (and yes I was awoken by morning prayer call too but I expected that) and have very mixed feelings. I booked a standard room on points at 5k, good deal but consistent with cash rates more or less. I applied an Explorist club upgrade to the reservation and expected a club room. Yes I know that according to WOH rules, club award means or can mean club access only not club room but in my experience using the awards from my account and my wife's account this past year other properties have always put us in a club room. Anyway instead of Club I was "upgraded" from Standard to a Deluxe room- which is really nasty. Old, dirty furniture, smallish (almost impossible to fit in the extra bed we requested) and an ancient, ugly, I-don't-wanna-touch-any-surface-with-my-body kind of a bathroom, with ancient, cracked, grotty subway tile and a one-piece tub shower. I think the walk-out porch (which is nice) is the only difference between that and the standard room, but trust me, you don't want this room. Anyway so when I get to the hotel (at normal checkin time) they keep sending me to a sofa for welcome juice saying they are working on our paperwork and will be right with us- but this goes on for like half an hour. Then another half an hour trying to get them to understand I am using a Club upgrade (which I had called both WOH and the hotel directly about well in advance to be sure it was applied). Then when we finally get to our "deluxe" room, aside from being a subpar room, there are no bath towels, robes or slippers and the Internet doesn't work with our credentials. So I spend the next hour raising a stink and trying to get hold of a manager, who eventually agrees to move us to a club room. The club room is much nicer-- still old but a little larger, with a nice marble bathroom with separate shower and bath, looks like it was renovated maybe 5-10 years ago vs the other room that looks like it was circa the Brady Bunch era. Anyway so it was a rough start but the lounge turned out to be quite nice, and the breakfast buffet (included w the Club room I guess or the upgrade or for Explorist or because I was a squeaky wheel) was phenomenal, best one we had in two week trip in S.E. Asia. A lot of delicious local delicacies, which to me is the key to a great breakfast. The western items were average but the Indonesian ones were excellent. The grounds are indeed beautiful and one of the main reason we chose the hotel. But they are not too well maintained, for example the trail that we used for morning runs is deteriorating and slippery in spots and not well marked. And the pools are lovely- if you manage to find a time to use them. They close down at 6:00 p.m., so if you are out during the day seeing the temples- which are the main reason to be in Yogya- by the time you get home they will be closed and it will be dark. They have lighting but don't turn it on. The lounge staff actually told me that we could use the pools after 6 p.m. and that lights would go on automatically- but they don't. As a result there were maybe a dozen guests in and around the pools in total darkness, really bizarre and unsafe. When we arrived slightly after 6:00 the pool attendant was still there so we asked for towels and he tried to tell us that since they were now closed we would have to go back to our rooms and bring our bath towels to use. Eventually I prevailed upon him to bend over and reach down to take out a few towels for us but he made sure we knew he was doing us a special favor. Oh and they have "towel cards" for each guest warning that you will be charged if you do not return the towels to get your cards back. Real class act. The spa was old and equally poorly staffed. Had to beg and cajole to get someone to turn on the whirlpool. The location is okay, if you plan to hire taxis or a car and driver as we did (cheap and worth it) but the traffic can be horrendous. The hotel does supposedly offer a shuttle service to Malioboro Rd but we were told when we checked in that it is by reservation only, and it was already booked for that evening as they only have 11 seats in the van and run it infrequently, so we had to catch a cab instead. Again, not a great level of service. Overall, it was okay for our purposes though I was also considering the brand new Marriott which has some good reviews- though we ultimately chose the Hyatt because of the grounds and the fact that we wanted to be in nature instead of attached to a shopping mall. But really the only outstanding thing about it is the breakfast and the lounge. I would not recommend staying here in anything other than a club room or a suite. Standard and deluxe rooms/bathrooms are like an old 2-3 star motel in the US.

Last edited by gil123; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
has anyone stayed here in the last month or so? curious about the condition of the hotel/ property
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
has anyone stayed here in the last month or so? curious about the condition of the hotel/ property
A friend stayed here this month. Seemed in good shape. The staff was really attentive.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I stayed here recently on the $15++ mistake rate the hotel generously decided to honor. I really can't say enough good things about the place. The physical plant is old and in need of some refurbishment (which the GM told me will start happening next year). I was given a club room, which was decent (reportedly, standard rooms are not). Common areas are still fine IMO. Everyone was super friendly, greeted me by name, and I was given constant attention. The breakfast buffet (full restaurant breakfast is included for club guests and Globs) had a huge spread, with good daily variation. The chef and restaurant manager approached me every day and offered to whip up things that aren't on the buffet, but I never really tired of the selection. The club hour has nice appetizers (some cold cuts, salads, fried stuff) and a noodle soup station with a daily special. Very friendly staff who mix good drinks and make sure your glasses never sits empty.

The place was completely dead during the week, and weekends got crazy. I loved the pool, and M-Th I was almost the only person there until about 3pm, when it would pick up a little. IMO, this pool is comparable to many $200/nt Bali properties (no beach of course). The grounds are well-kept, and the walkways are fun. Food was tasty, and of course prices are ridiculously low -- a poolside or room service Cesar salad or Nasi Goreng sets you back some $4. I did ponder the idea of coming back for a few weeks next year for easy Glob qualification -- I like the hotel/grounds/pool enough to consider this, but Yogyakarta doesn't hold a whole lot of excitement for a long-term stay. I would say a considerable downside for a long-term stay is that there's really nowhere you can walk from the hotel (there are some stores and a great bakery when you walk outside and to the right, but the walk is extremely unpleasant, along a very busy road with no sidewalks), and although Grab is cheap, traffic is terrible.

I also tried the Sheraton for a night (on a 700k IDR BRG -- basically a free stay when factoring the 2000 BRG reward points), and while it's roughly the same age as the Hyatt, it's a polar opposite experience. The grounds are poorly kept up, the pool is unappealing, the club lounge food looked foul (didn't want to risk food poisoning, so didn't try), and the breakfast buffet lame. There's also a brand new and shiny Marriott, attached to a large mall in the city, and after touring it (not staying, though) I'd say that's the best hotel in town. Still, the Hyatt has amazing staff, a lovely pool, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
I reread some of the unfavorable comments about this property, and then read the comments JPDX made...and I totally agree with JPDX. The place was a complete surprise to me...I used a suite upgrade, the room was fine but yes needs some TLC. Several of the electrical outlets weren't working, and the international configurations on 3 of them didn't work for US plugs. Not a major thing, but here it is. The carpets need to be replaced, and the curtains, but the bathroom was large , with both a tub and a separate shower..and pretty much all beautiful marble. The grounds are huge, and gorgeous, very well maintained. I was looking for relaxation, and sure got it--the grounds are very tranquil and well, Asian. I walked them every afternoon enjoying the tranquility. The pool is beautiful, very spread out and meandering, with slides etc. The kids there had a blast--theres also a kids club, golf course, tennis courts and a small obviously not used very much soccer area. What really shines is the staff--every comment or request is created with a smile and gracious response, the food is well prepared and fresh. I commented in the restaurant that I cannot tolerate spicy foods (ok go to Indonesia right) and a staff member walked with me and explained the contents of every single dish. I spent a week there, and loved it. Yes, its very inexpensive by our standards..I'm normally a 'public transportation' type of person and I had a driver pick me up and take me back to the airport when left. Also had a driver take me to the Borobudur for sunrise ..leaving hotel at 0330!!. Unfortunately the sunrise didn't happen, it was misty and overcast, but the spell was amazing. There were numerous Buddhist monks meditating, and for the most part people were quiet and respectful. I'm planning to go back again! There are some good size modern malls (I went to one to have something repaired) and I was usually the only blue eyes there so attracted a lot of attention there from the kids. I will probably couple my return visit with some time in Bali.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:23 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Just had a quick night stay here on award points... 5k/night. The hotel entry and lobby area are gorgeous, a welcome drink and cool towel was provided on checkin. The room itself though felt a bit dated. The bathroom only had a tub instead of separate shower, and the plumbing fixtures leaked when turning on the water.

I was only there from 8PM until 4:30 AM so can't say too much about it otherwise.

Welcome drink

Pool

Last edited by hauteboy; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Update: 26-29 JUL 2022 regency executive suite #409

Having stayed with my family at the Intercontinental Bali Jimbaran, we made our way to Yogjakarta for a 13 nights visit to experience the city and the region. We broke our stay in a 9N stay at the heritage Accor MGallery Phoenix hotel ....

And we decided for the remainder to stay at this Hyatt Regency.
Although this is an older hotel, the unique selling points are as many have said:
- the gardens
- the Mount Merapi volcano view
- the extensive swimming pool complex that keep young ones happy
- excellent Javanese hospitality
- suites come with a balcony

I booked this hotel as a basic WoH member,
Price for the regency executive (premium) suite was a bit steep at $375 but then again :
- it came with buffet breakfast daily
- there was the cocktail happy hour + nibbles daily
- the balcony for fresh air and to satisfy my niccotine addiction
- every morning stunning view of mount Merapi volcano (S/O made some amazing timelapse videos)
- the suite had 2 toilets

For the pictures of the standard room please refer to the prior post, it still looks the same.

We had an insightful talk with manageress Mrs Dama in excellent English about the hotel and its direction, she explained:
- hotel got greenlight for renovations but were postponed due to covid19
- owner prefered to prioritize his new Park Hyatt Jakarta and Andaz Bali for cashflow/operational reasons
- hotel cooperates with Plataran group https://www.plataran.com
- management appreciates Globalists and tries to upgrade them to the regency (standard) suite but is bound due to limited amount of suites + very strong local domestic demand whom are eager to book suites at any price (especially domestic holidays or weekends)
- hotel has strong occupancy with local weddings / meetings
- every friday an evening buffet will be held
- tour groups are returning
- globalists still enjoy free breakfast
- regency club on level 2 is closed : there is an alternative offered :
the Paseban lobby lounge will serve Globalists+club+suite guests
during the day free flow non alcoholic drinks
during cocktail hour: complimentary alcoholic drinks menu
nibbles + hot items + live cooking station
breakfast will be offered in the Kemangi bistro restaurant

So let's start with the photos:

A notice due to covid19
All domestic guests + staff were wearing masks

Covered walkway from the hotel driveway to the lobby

First impressions

A closer look

Wide open vista on the greens

Seen from the greens back to the lobby

A very nice place to walk or to play golf

Reception and in the back the Paseban lounge where regency club/suite guests can enjoy the cocktail hour service

And ofcourse some foreigners refuse to wear masks

Excellent WoH recognition

Promo

Promo

Lobby seating

Lobby seating

Welcome drink of teh jahé : ginger tea

Welcome amenity of care kit: mask + wipes

Every day there is an activity buzz

The hotel seen from the greens: its shape mirrors the borobudor temple

A folly mimicing a temple ruin with water slide : on the right hand side behind the folly is the lower pool

Seen from the folly towards the main pool

Location of the main pool versus the hotel building

Lay out of the complex:
Level 7 : presidential suite
Level 6 + 4 : regency executive premium suites
Level 5 + 3 : regency standard suites

Our regency executive suite #409 was located on the 4th floor.
According to WoH, this is a premium suite
It faced the north towards mount Merapi Volcano and had a 180 degrees wrap around balcony
It showed some wear and tear but there is no denying that the amazing space compensated it 10fold.
An amusing relic is the telephone but then again it is part of the charm.
S/O mentioned the suite had 3x airconditioning units which worked excellently to his prefered taste of deep freeze : worth every penny!

You know a room has to be good when it has double doors:

The double doors leading to the regency executive suite, the room to the left has a connecting door with our suite

Clean seal

Floorplan of level 4

Entry vestibule

Living room

Living room seen from dining room

Living room seen towards entrance vestibule, the door on the right leads to the airing cupboard complete with iron and board

The dining room with table for 6

Dining room seen towards the living room

View from dining room

Microwave

Nespresso capsule coffeemachine and kettle, you can always ask for more capsules

The extra toilet next to living room

Toilet has a Toto Japanese basic washlet

Bedroom

Bed is a true KING:
pillow menu is available

Closet space with safe at waist height

Bathrobe and slippers

Notice this is an older hotel: the telephone is a relic from a bygone era

Amenities

Spacious tub

Seperate shower

Bathroom amenities

This hotel remembers my previous stay preferences: tuba rose as welcome flower

House brand amenities

You could shower with the curtains open .....

Refillable containers with bath products

A niggle: the bathroom does not contain its own toilet, you must step out of the bathroom, to step across to the toilet next to it.

Welcome amenity

Laundry pricing : we used it twice and it came back in good clean condition

A statue of a deity

Items available upon request

Hyatt Regency Yogjakarta grounds map

The airing cupboard complete with iron and board

A minibar filled with 2x beer + 1 water + 1 sparkling water,
enough space to store your own drinks

The huge terrace

Side terrace leading of the bedroom

View from the side terrace

View from the front terrace towards the folly, see the contour of Mount Merapi volcano...

Even more welcoming amenity

Sunset views from the dining room side terrace

TV - channels and welcome letter

Seating area (we missed cushions)

All info by QR

A clip from the timelapse videos of Mount Merapi volcano made by S/O

My own attempt

And indeed from Hyatt USA corporate :
don't worry though, the housekeeping guys were more then happy to fully clean the room daily

Conclusion:
A clean room with enough bottled water replenished every day
enough space for a family
2 toilets with basic Toto washlets made everybody happy
Very strong airconditioning made S/O very happy
the amazing terrace for morning coffees would be better with cushions for the seats

Some delightful art by a local artist scattered around the hotel,
This is the gentleman: https://www.instagram.com/arthapararta/
Great to see that the hotel provides exposure to interesting art:

From the Hindu Ramayana epic : Rama & Shinta

The greek goddess Hera

The topeng (mask) dance of Bali

The mystical Barong Ket of Bali

Kandjeng Nyai Ratu Loro Kidul together with Panembahan Senopati

And now we move on the most important part for the community....
The regency club cocktail hour or aka Globalists bennies of slosh with snackypoo.

As the hotel's regency club is closed, the alternative offered is cocktail hour being held at the Paseban lobby lounge complete with a small buffet set up of appetizers, desserts, fruits + 3 choices of hot snacks + a live cooking station.
This is daily from 17 - 19 H

Paseban lobby lounge entry

Appetizers

Hot items

Hot items 2

Hot items 3

Live station (changes daily)

The complimentary cocktail hour drinks menu for regency club guests / suites / globalists

Cheeses

Cold cuts

Sweets

Fruits : snake skin fruit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salak

Seating : you can also sit outside at the outdoor terrace

Live cooking station

Traditional soto ayam soup

Spread on a different day

Different day of sweets

Live station on a different day

Different hot items

Different hot items

Different hot items

From the bar: nibbles & nuts

AND NOW ...
MAJOR RANT VENT WARNING:

As we all know and love from the club cocktail hour about drinks and buffet is that one can enjoy in tranquility a drink or nibble of choice at your seat. However one night at this Hyatt Regency, both guests in the Paseban lounge and the staff were horrified when this happened.......

A big French family descended like locusts on the buffet and in 5 unbelievable unguarded fast minutes:
- eating directly from the buffet standing
- the childeren sampling the cakes and fruits and put it back with teethmarks on the buffet display
- the parents putting the empty amuse spoons from what they've eaten back on the buffet display
- spitted out remains of pits / seeds on the buffet table
- eating their soups standing and gulping their martinis standing
- uneaten soupbowls plus spilled martinis
- leaving a disaster area behind because they were in a rush to go out to catch their evening tour

i might get flamed for this but please don't be like these guys whom cause embarressment and horrific looks:

and don't even get me started on the hygiene aspect!!,

Yes , YOU eating the amuse spoon directly from the buffet and putting it back!

Parents to occupied with themselves that they don't see their kids taken things from the buffet and putting half eaten things back!

Gobbling up their soups standing

Half eaten stuff and a spilled martini wasteland

We just shook our heads,
the Flemish family next to us was speechless,
the Chinese couple next to them was staring with open mouth....
What did we just witness .... ?! WT*!

Fortunately nothing then praise for Mrs Mel and her team working in the Paseban lounge,
In the 5 minutes that French family came, ate and went, (veni vidi vici in the wrong way)
She and her team immeadiatly removed all food items from the buffet to be discarded,
Instructed the cook to get fresh new items for the remaining guests,
Personally cleaned and removed the waste and cleaned the spillage the family had left,
While her team cleaned the buffet area and sanitized the remaing surfaces.

I demanded to speak with the manager whom fortunately was nearby as it seemed, managed to see with her own eyes the last 1 minute of onslaught that family brought. This was our meeting with Mrs. Dama whom herself could not believe what had just happened.
She was very supportive of the empowered actions of Mrs. Mel and her team and it was great to talk to her about the hygiene measures the management of this Hyatt hotel applies if situations like these arise so that swift action can be taken. This made be feel much better that this Hyatt adheres to international food hygiene safety standards. We are glad to have met Mrs Dama as she was patient and willing to answer all our questions.

It was an evening to remember !
In a point and staring kinda way......

RANT/ VENT mode over

Continued part 2....
demue, projectmaximus and weibelt like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 7, 2022 at 9:05 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Lightbulb Part 2 : breakfast + verdict

continued from part 1

And now on to the breakfast part.
This is served daily at the Kemangi Bistro restaurant with indoor and outdoor stations and indoor and outdoor seating.
Nothing more then praise for Mrs Sri whom was serving our section and remembered our daily drink preferences and was always happy to recommened the jamu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamu and getting us special hot drinks like teh jahe sereh = ginger lemongrass tea.

Very friendly waitresses roamed around clearing empty plates and dishes so that the restaurant did not have an unkempt messy look.

Also a shout out to friendly chef Arianto who made his daily rounds with fresh crispy croissants and pain au chocolat!

Fruits and yoghurts

An instruction about peak times

Peek into the kitchen

Chef Arianto doing his daily rounds with fresh croissants and pain au chocolat

Hot items

Beef bacon
----
pork bacon is available from around the corner behind the screen on demand only
as not to upset local sentiment

Outdoor egg station

Hot items

Hot itens

Local favorites

Outdoor seating

Seating next to the pool

Local favorites

Fresh pancakes (serabi) and waffles

Breads

Bakery items

Cereals

Hot items

Hot items

Hot items

Hot items

Hot items

From the carvery: chicken

What's Indonesia without nasi putih

Ranging from insane to atomic to demon heat in spicyness

Add on for the rice congee = bubur

Local favorites

Salads

Salads

Kroepoek

Fruits

Cold items

Yes: the jamu counter ! OMG i drank myself silly of these

Juices

Cold cuts

Indoor seating

We had a talk and laugh afterwards about what happened with the French family disaster at the cocktail hour

And AHUM:
people wearing hotel room slippers to breakfast aka common areas ......
no comment....
i have said to much with my rants already .....

Verdict:
Still my preferred hotel to stay in Yogjakarta,
pools, gardens and authentic Javanese staff are really providing the relaxing holiday atmosphere,
nothing wrong with the room in space and amenities but it really needs some TLC and renovations pronto,

MR Owner if you read this: renovate your hotel and it might even arise to a cat 4/5 ! Think about the advantages!

but for now recommend to combine a stay here with a stay at the more citycentre located Heritage Accor MGallery Phoenix hotel . My Review: The Phoenix hotel Yogyakarta
to get the best taste of both worlds and a better understanding of Yogjakarta.

Hope this comprehensive review will be of help to future travellers to Yogjakarta!
chad75, demue, pWei and 3 others like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Thanks for the very detailed review and pictures! Makes me want to go.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:36 am

Yogjakarta travel suggestions

Here is my list of things to do/see/eat in Yogjakarta and environs

The house of Raminten (Mirota Batik) at Malioboro street (or at Jl. Kaliurang)
Led by the enigmatic Miss Raminten (alter ego of Hamzah Sulaeman of the Mirota dynasty)
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamzah_Sulaeman
Seeing is believing.... but there is a great adherence to local Javanese products and specialities!
Reasonable fixed pricing and airconditioned shopping....

See his face of amazement that the House of Raminten sells any type of local souvenir under the sun

Enough choice to be spoilt

About the art of jamu

About the art of batik

Objet d'art in every shape and size

And if like my S/O you prefer to sit it all out while others shop, the house of Raminten also has a coffee shop on the 3rd floor

Malioboro street
Yogjakarta's main street full of shops and at night full of eateries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalan_Malioboro

Some colonial facades

Street is filled both sides with shops

Malioboro street has transformed into a pleasant promenade

All souvenir stands and local sellers have their stands moved from Malioboro street to 2 new central hubs called Malioboro teras 1 + 2
Here you can browse and haggle and explore the creativity and vastness in products available

Malioboro teras 1

Malioboro teras 2

Part of the experience is also Pasar Beringharjo
The central market

Front entrance

Side entrance: the place can be a maze

Best place to pick up the Gojek motor taxi is at pasar Beringharjo

Gemah Ripah on Malioboro street
Local delicacies and exotic Javanese flavours can be found here
To eat yourself or to give away as souvenirs
https://www.instagram.com/gemahripah_jogja/?hl=en

An institution in Yogjakarta for local delicacies

Just a small sample, they have a lot of choice in crispy snacks and much more

Kripik items such as emping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emping

-------
For those interested in visiting the classical historical temples / ruins called in Indonesian "Candi"
or like us like to go temple hopping to experience the Indiana Jones feeling,
may i refer to this wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candi_of_Indonesia

Temple hopping route #1
combine a visit to
situs Arca Gupolo together with Candi Ijo

situs Arca Gupolo is a remote place where an intact statue of the Vedic sage Agastya still stands insitu next to a grove of palm trees, it was discovered during Dutch colonial times and has never been moved
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_Arca_Gupolo
And meet Agastya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agastya
locals have told us, that as long as the Agastya statue still stands, the sage will give wisdom insights for those using sincere meditation for positive cultivation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kejawèn
Citing folkore, it is believed that many would find wisdom if done turning to inner meditiation and to have a retraite in nature just like the ancient sages did as hermits.

The hermit sage Agastya, other meditational Buddhas are clustered around

In the near vicinity is located the Hindu temple complex of Candi Ijo
This terraced temple complex is dedicated to the triad of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva
It offers spectacular views over the valley plains, so come here early at sunrise or later in the day during sunset.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijo_Temple
Above wiki link shows the photo during the dramatic play of light & dark

My less impressive pictures:

The top terrace with the main temple and the 3 perwara temples,
Actually the complex has multiple terraces on which most buildings are still in ruins waiting to be restored, 1 complete structure has been completed already serving as prototype for the others

1 of the perwara temples has a statue of Nandi, the vehicle of Shiva

The main temple has inside carvings of celestial nymphs :
Apsara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsara

This is the amazing view from Candi Ijo towards the valley : even more spectacular during sunrise or sunset

Temple hopping route #2
Candi Sambisari with Candi Sari together with Candi Plaosan
These smaller temples are close to the Prambanan complex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambisari
a Hindu temple dedicated to the triad of Agastya, Durga and Ganesha

This temple was submerged by earth, dirt and ash from Mount Merapi Volcano eruptions

One of the few temples where access is still allowed

Closeby is Candi Sari https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sari_temple
A temple that used to be a buddhist monastery, its design was so unique that it was sent in the 1900s as a pavillion during the Paris World Fair.
Its exterior design has many carvings and although the interior is empty, it does host amazing Kala / Makara carvings in the cella.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kāla

A serene cool interior invites for meditation

The cella has intrensic carvings

Close by is Candi Plaosan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaosan
A twin buddhist temple complex

Candi Plaosan : one of two identical temple buildings

[In the past both buildings were open for visitors and still in situ in the cella are stone boddhisatvas and reliefs depicting the visit of Khmer royalty to this temple complex +/- AD850]

Exquisite details

Hall of Buddhas and Boddhisatvas
Next to the other identical temple building

Individual shrines

Try local beverage Es Dawet
Nothing beats this tasty mix after a hot day out at the temples
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawet

Or if you prefer an authentic dish from Yogjakarta, try out Gudeg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudeg

Most famous is that with the serene smile of Mrs. Yu Djum
Beware though, there are approx 13 businesses owned by her children and grandchildren so the taste could differ at each venue.
Even locals have no idea which out of all these places is the mothership with the orginal recipe

Try out Bakso Bethesda 74
An authentic roadside stall serving the most tasty Bakso soup.
Located next to Bethesda general hospital
Discovered on my first visit by motorbike, took the S/O and then the family and it became our regular stop every time we visit the region

Menu

Yummy : the whole family always enjoys a bowl or two on every visit

Fairly non descript but worthwhile!
Closes at 14H daily

Restaurant Mang Eng King
https://mangengkinggroup.co.id
Several branches exist but the one in Godean has amazing ricefields view
Superb seafood to satisfy any craving

Supermarket SuperIndo at Jalan Solo or offical address: Jl. Urip Sumoharjo No.38A
https://www.superindo.co.id
For me, the most complete supermarket in Yogjakarta city

Quality is excellent because the parent company is Dutch Ahold (Albert Heijn) and Belgian Delhaize

Clean and a lot of stock - accepts all major creditcards

So cute! Borobodur and Prambanan bread !

Survey the excavation of Candi Losari
(site of a Hindu temple dedicated to local goddess Dewi Sri)
and have a talk with the very knowledgable archaeologists on site
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candi_Losari

Try out tasty martabak
Comes in both sweet and savoury flavours
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtabak

Artisanal made and very tasty and filling!

If your sweet or savoury tooth did not get a beating,
or your waist is still yes to more local delights,
my last suggestion is to get fresh Klepon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepon

Fresh hot klepon with flavoursome melt in the mouth,

Fairly nondescript stands at Jl. Solo but the the tasty treats they turn out......

The stands mostly operate from late afternoon till end of the evening

Hope these tips might be helpful and who knows...... see you at one of those food places

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 18, 2022 at 3:16 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by pWei
Thanks for the very detailed review and pictures! Makes me want to go.
Most welcome!
Hope this will also appeal to the armchair traveller but glad you find it informative!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures, @HadesNL. I didn't consider this hotel when we stayed in Java. What a shame as it is much more appealing than I anticipated. I particularly liked the views over the grounds when arriving at the hotel. You were very generous in taking the time to give us a comprehensive review of the property. And I really appreciated your section on what to see and do in the area.
kyushuman and HadesNL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.