Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Yogyakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:49 pm
sy7
Original Poster

I recently spent a few nights at the Yogya Hyatt in Java, as an extension of a Bali trip (thanks to flyertalk and CO for the cheap fares!). Yogya is about an hour flight from Bali, and if you get the tickets in Indonesia, ~$70 for the RT (vs $260 if you want to ticket in the US).

I reserved the hotel at the rack rate of $59 ($70 with tax). This represents the best hotel in terms of quality and price that I've ever stayed at (including priceline rates). While I wouldn't recommend going to Yogya just to stay at the Hyatt, it makes a great base for touring Borobudur. Borobudur, the world's largest Buddhist temple, was one of the seven wonders of the world and is beautifully restored and definitely worth making the detour for if you are already in that part of the world. Just be sure to go as early as possible (it opens at 6 am), and to totally ignore the swarms of vendors that pester you--forget being polite to them by acknowledging them, it will only cause you more hassle in the end. There are other sights in Yogya as well, and the shopping is cheaper than that in Bali.

The Yogya Hyatt is a very beautiful resort-like property. It has beautifully landscaped grounds with a large tiered swimming pool and water slide, similar to the Grand Hyatt in Bali. Overall, the pool area is slightly smaller than the Grand Hyatt, but the Grand Hyatt also has ~2.5x the number of rooms.

The RC room I stayed in was pristine. I had a plate of fresh fruit in the room, a nice flower arrangement, and a welcome note from the GM. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and extra amenities (though they're the same brand as those found in the other Indonesian Hyatts). The only unfortunate thing is that I disliked the scent of the shampoo/conditioner offered--I think it is supposed to be lemongrass, but it smelled somewhat industrial to me. The room felt newer than the Club room at the Grand Hyatt Bali, though also more "hotel-like" (vs a resort) because it didn't include a balcony. However, apparently the Grand Hyatt Bali will be starting to renovate all their club rooms starting 1/05!

The RC had great concierge service. The breakfast items included two hot entrees as well as the normal pastries, juice etc. They also offered a different nightly selection of appetizers and desserts, enough for a light meal.

There is also a spa located within the hotel. It is billed as a spa/healthclub, and I would say it veers towards the healthclub side. However, it was convenient and cheap (by US standards), eg $20 for a 1hr massage though that is apparently twice the market rate in Yogja! Also, you won't get gold passport points credited for the spa charges.

There were some service issues with the hotel, but because the rate was so inexpensive, this wasn't unexpected. The air-conditioning was turned off (or low) during most of the day in the public areas (which can be a plus for people who think most hotels are kept way too cold). The internet is slow and expensive but I think a fast internet connection simply doesn't exist in Yogya. I needed to make a phone call to GoldPassport customer service during the stay, and the business center connected me to Jakarta and then charged me for the cost of the phone call (without telling me that they would do so before I made the call--I wondered if they would also have charged me for a phone call to make a reservation at another Hyatt!). Also, I would have expected that the hotel would have complimentary airplane ticket confirmation service. However, they make you use the onsite travel agent which charges ~$1.10/ticket. The RC concierge also would not reconfirm the tickets for free. However, because the rate is so low, I can understand why they do this (though the charge for the ticket reconfirmation still strikes me as egregious).

I think the regular rooms are smaller than the RC rooms. Since occupancy isn't too high at the moment (and probably won't be for the forseeable future), I imagine diamonds won't have a problem upgrading, and otherwise you can easily upgrade with PLAT certificates or points (or pay the extra $35). I upgraded using the PLAT certificate, and I was given full breakfast vouchers for all nights at checkin. The RC breakfast looked pretty comprehensive, but of course didn't include the omelet/waffle station in the restaurant.

Anyway, I told the RC concierge that I would be sure to recommend the hotel to everyone I know, and fellow flyertalk members are the best potential target audience.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Hyatt Yogyakarta, GH Bali, and Bali Hyatt

Was also there in early August, and got a cheaper nett rate for Indonesian citizens (I'm one) and residents. The rate is approx. the same, the exception being taxes and services are included. If you want good food, there is a very low-key, but extremely good seafood restaurant in the narrow street across the hotel entrance. The black pepper crab is to die for.

I mostly agree with the OP about the hotel. The hotel's grounds are very nice. The interiors of the hotels are also OK, except for the cheap furnitures. They look and feel cheap, even though they are much newer than the ones in GH Bali or the Bali Hyatt, where the furnitures are also in need of serious upgrading. Spa was OK.

As for value, I consider the HR Hua Hin in Thailand as one of the best value for a Hyatt hotel (or any hotel). HR Yogyakarta would not make the list.

While in Yogyakarta, definitely go to Borobudur. I understand there are two rates to enter the temple: IDR7,500 (less than USD1) for Indonesian citizens and residents, and USD10? for others. Other tourist attractions in Yogyakarta are in serious need of funding/upgrading/renovation. The tour of the palace (keraton) of the king is rather boring. The royal gardens (Taman Sari) is even worse as this vast area of the former garden of the palace and bathing pools of the king's wifes is now full of squatters and the grounds even has a wet market and bird (the Javanese keeps singing birds as sort of "pets").

As for GH Bali, my wife spoke to several staff/friends at the GH Bali (she was one of the hotel's staff during GH Bali's early days including pre-openng), and was told that the hotel was due for upgrading of the furniture in the early 2000's, but the plan was scrapped after the Bali bombing and the SARS epidemic in Asia. Looks like they will finally do it, probably due to competitive pressures with the new Conrad Resort and the re-branded Westin Resort opening nearby.

Bali Hyatt is another story. Although I really like this hotel due to the quiet area and the beautiful grounds (I especially like the gardens and the RC lounge), the physical buildings are really old (one of the first hotels build in Bali I think) and somewhat dilapidated. I am not sure if anything can be done to improve this condition without actually tearing them down. Like GH Bali, the furnitures (especially bed/mattress) need upgrading.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Here's a review of my stay at this property, at the beginning of the month.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...rta-jog.18396/
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 pm

HR Yogyakarta

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently and can tell me its condition?
thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 am

Just completed a 6 night stay here.

The hotel is 17 years old and it show in some areas but the hotel grounds are outstanding. Pool is great for kids and the hotel is great for kids.

Diamond benefits include breakfast either at the lounge or at the restaurant. If you take it at the lounge then you can request items from the restaurant and they will bring it to you in the lounge.

Check in is at club lounge. Club lounge has limited snacks with some spirits and wine to drink, again basic selection.

The GM is Balinese and came up through one of the Hyatt's in Bali before taking the GM job at this hotel. Very unassuming guy and you probably wouldn't know he is the GM unless he introduced himself to you but I saw him each morning watching his staff take care of guests during breakfast.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
As part of my recent stops in Indonesia I spent a couple of nights at the Hyatt JOG. Beautiful grounds. A real resort feel. Infinity-like koi ponds - really neat. Room was nice too. Diamond breakfast and lounge food/drink were also very good. Where the hotel fails is in CS. Horrible. While as mentioned above, this hotel is in a great place to get to Borobudur and Prambanan*, you might not be able to find either. I rented a scooter from a 3rd party working out of the hotel (great way to see the area and a great 3rd party vendor - great Balinese gal that typically rents to students/locals) but when I asked for directions to Borobudur, I was told by one of the concierges that she didn't have a map. And that was it - no map and thanks for asking. Next. I eventually persuaded the concierge to Google map directions for me but it was akin to pulling teeth. Same for asking for assistance with printing a boarding pass in the lounge. No computers in the lounge so I asked the desk agent to print my BP. No can do and thanks for asking. Really? I was told to go to the concierge if I wanted something printed. . Other tourist-like CS was also lacking. Similar type responses. Me "Where can I find 'X'" (a type of food). Concierge "the place that serves that is closed." Me "Is there another restaurant that serves 'X' I have a scooter and can drive to it." Concierge "the restaurant is closed." (a representation of one of my conversation with a concierge). Maybe the typical tourist doesn't leave the hotel because it is a resort and the concierges just don't know how to deal with a more adventurous guest (?). Conversely, food service was great. Very helpful staff in the restaurant (e.g., What is that? Full answer with an explanation why I might or might not like it).

*North of the city so a lot of the traffic is avoided on the way to Borobudur. Near the ringroad so one can avoid some (most with a scooter) traffic to Prambanan. However, being north of the city means that one either has to wait for the every two-hour shuttle to town or pay for a taxi. There isn't much near the hotel itself. As an aside, Prambanan was more impressive than Borobudur but the scooter ride to Borobudur and the smaller temples on that route make it well worth the trip.

Cheers -
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by thegrailer
As part of my recent stops in Indonesia I spent a couple of nights at the Hyatt JOG. Beautiful grounds. A real resort feel. Infinity-like koi ponds - really neat. Room was nice too. Diamond breakfast and lounge food/drink were also very good. Where the hotel fails is in CS. Horrible. While as mentioned above, this hotel is in a great place to get to Borobudur and Prambanan*, you might not be able to find either. I rented a scooter from a 3rd party working out of the hotel (great way to see the area and a great 3rd party vendor - great Balinese gal that typically rents to students/locals) but when I asked for directions to Borobudur, I was told by one of the concierges that she didn't have a map. And that was it - no map and thanks for asking. Next. I eventually persuaded the concierge to Google map directions for me but it was akin to pulling teeth. Same for asking for assistance with printing a boarding pass in the lounge. No computers in the lounge so I asked the desk agent to print my BP. No can do and thanks for asking. Really? I was told to go to the concierge if I wanted something printed. . Other tourist-like CS was also lacking. Similar type responses. Me "Where can I find 'X'" (a type of food). Concierge "the place that serves that is closed." Me "Is there another restaurant that serves 'X' I have a scooter and can drive to it." Concierge "the restaurant is closed." (a representation of one of my conversation with a concierge). Maybe the typical tourist doesn't leave the hotel because it is a resort and the concierges just don't know how to deal with a more adventurous guest (?). Conversely, food service was great. Very helpful staff in the restaurant (e.g., What is that? Full answer with an explanation why I might or might not like it).

*North of the city so a lot of the traffic is avoided on the way to Borobudur. Near the ringroad so one can avoid some (most with a scooter) traffic to Prambanan. However, being north of the city means that one either has to wait for the every two-hour shuttle to town or pay for a taxi. There isn't much near the hotel itself. As an aside, Prambanan was more impressive than Borobudur but the scooter ride to Borobudur and the smaller temples on that route make it well worth the trip.

Cheers -
This is a very timely post!
I was extremely happy with my Hyatt Yogya 4-night stay last month, an especially good value for someone without Hyatt status.

Found a rate of US$46 for regular room, $84 for Club Room on Agoda.com, so I submitted a BRG. Hyatt.com was around 30% more, and the BRG was approved for US$66 for a Club Room.
Even at $84 from Agoda it would be great.

Gorgeous grounds and pool, one of the nicest I've seen. Super friendly staff BUT funny enough I ran into the same kinds of CS issues-- tons of staff around but none asking if I needed anything; never once was coffee refilled; flagging down staff was quite a challenge in restaurants, by the pool, etc.
Club lounge offerings are great. Food quality and prices are also great.
Outside hotel there are lots of good options for food (next door there is a great restaurant) and also there are several good laundry options-- for around $2 per kilo (!), I had about 30-40 pieces of laundry, for around US$4.
Had dinner at Bogey's Terrace, the 2nd restaurant, twice, and it was very good.
So, just have low expectations for service, but high expectations for food, beverage, lounge, facilities, etc. Totally recommend!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kyushuman
This is a very timely post!
I was extremely happy with my Hyatt Yogya 4-night stay last month, an especially good value for someone without Hyatt status.

Found a rate of US$46 for regular room, $84 for Club Room on Agoda.com, so I submitted a BRG. Hyatt.com was around 30% more, and the BRG was approved for US$66 for a Club Room.
Even at $84 from Agoda it would be great.

Gorgeous grounds and pool, one of the nicest I've seen. Super friendly staff BUT funny enough I ran into the same kinds of CS issues-- tons of staff around but none asking if I needed anything; never once was coffee refilled; flagging down staff was quite a challenge in restaurants, by the pool, etc.
Club lounge offerings are great. Food quality and prices are also great.
Outside hotel there are lots of good options for food (next door there is a great restaurant) and also there are several good laundry options-- for around $2 per kilo (!), I had about 30-40 pieces of laundry, for around US$4.
Had dinner at Bogey's Terrace, the 2nd restaurant, twice, and it was very good.
So, just have low expectations for service, but high expectations for food, beverage, lounge, facilities, etc. Totally recommend!
We stayed for a few nights in April. Our arrival coincided with a political protest that left us wondering whether we'd actually remain for the 4 nights that had been paid for.... when we inquired about it there was a long pause before they finally had any clue what we were talking about.... even with the legions of fully masked riders on their motorbikes audible inside the lobby.

We did manage to get some printing done at the concierge desk without paying for it... but at first that was the only option given to us.

The food was cheap and service was poor. We actually didn't think the food quality was so good.

Our takeaway was that staff desired to give great service but had no idea how to because management took no lead.

We wound up enjoying our stay and the grounds were indeed fantastic. That first day though, over an hour from the train station, was nerve wracking. A multitude of PPP (?) supporters tying up traffic, fully masked and menacing, in myriad groups circling town. That was not a very welcoming environment.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: mix and match
We stayed in January this year and it was a huge disappointment. The entire property needs a major facelift. Had a big expectation of the property (Stay there a few times in the early 2000s) but age keeps up really fast.

Positive: The garden is pretty much well kept.

Negative:
Signages are no longer in perfect state. Some letters (details!) are missing.

The room is alright, but the toilet has that ageing-stain that on all corners (and on the seats, YIKES)

The pool is murky, the outdoor jacuzzi is not working, the health club facilities are pretty much non-functioning.

The once charming rooftop dining area is now an empty deck with lots of waste woods (probably from the tents and they didn't bother to clear it)

The food (including the jamu) is underwhelming. Even the fruits are disappointing (I believe fruits should be chilled. Warm honeydew and watermelon on a hot and humid morning just don't appeal to me).

On a side note, the new local hotel across Hyatt is swanky (at the same price point). Altho... that hotel has a strong corporate feel and not one that guests can laze around in.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by SRflyer
We stayed in January this year and it was a huge disappointment. The entire property needs a major facelift. Had a big expectation of the property (Stay there a few times in the early 2000s) but age keeps up really fast.

Positive: The garden is pretty much well kept.

Negative:
Signages are no longer in perfect state. Some letters (details!) are missing.

The room is alright, but the toilet has that ageing-stain that on all corners (and on the seats, YIKES)

The pool is murky, the outdoor jacuzzi is not working, the health club facilities are pretty much non-functioning.

The once charming rooftop dining area is now an empty deck with lots of waste woods (probably from the tents and they didn't bother to clear it)

The food (including the jamu) is underwhelming. Even the fruits are disappointing (I believe fruits should be chilled. Warm honeydew and watermelon on a hot and humid morning just don't appeal to me).

On a side note, the new local hotel across Hyatt is swanky (at the same price point). Altho... that hotel has a strong corporate feel and not one that guests can laze around in.

Your post reminded me that I had meant to post a review from a recent stay, but it had slipped my mind. So I will add my $0.02 as well.

I stayed with the wife and 2 kids for 4 days in early March 2016, and similar experiences, but sounds like ours were a bit better. At that point, the pools were all clean and well kept, including the outside Jacuzzi which was functioning fine.

Also, the grounds were well kept and the staff were universally nice.

We were in a suite on the first floor, booked with as a normal room for ~$75/night USD and then a DSU. The hotel and the room were definitely tired, but for the price they were fine. The suite had a bit of a feel and quality level of the Hyatt Bali and HR Kuantan. Tired, and old, but ok-ish.

The regency club, and the food in general, was lacking both in selection and quality. The club offerings for both breakfast and in the evening were again "ok" but nothing special. I'd have been annoyed if I had paid a premium to upgrade for club access.

We also tried their Easter Brunch and it was definitely not worth the cost. Again, so-so food, but at a premium price which wasn't worth it.

One thing we did find was that although the room service menu was pretty limited, if you ordered in the regency club, they had the full restaurant menu available for delivery there and there was the bonus of the free drinks from the lounge vs paying the inflated restaurant prices.

Both my wife and I tried the spa and again is was "ok", but pretty well priced. I'm sure if you walked down the street off the property, the spa prices would have been a fraction of the Hyatt, but it was still cheap and easy.

All in all, we very much liked Yogyakarta and enjoy our visit immensely, but the Hyatt was "adequate", not great by any means. That said, we did have a big suite for $75/night, lounge access, and the kids loved the pools. So, as long as you go with properly adjusted expectations, it was just fine.

The advice that we've given some friends who have been on the fence about going is to absolutely go and enjoy Yogyakarta and the temples for a few days, it was great. Don't let the hotel keep you away - in this case, it was lodging to serve the need vs a central point of the visit
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I must reply and just mention that I also was VERY happy with my stay, but with the caveat that this was for about US$80 per day for a Club Room. If you're expecting international luxury hotel standards for $80 Club Room rates, you're fooling yourself.
That said, for $80 (no upgrade, I don't have Hyatt status) I was thrilled. Great pool, grounds, decent gym, well located (about 1 hour to Borobodur, 20-30 minutes to Prambanan, and 20 minutes to city center). Nearby some decent to good restaurants, super cheap laundry, mini marts for snacks and drinks. While the food isn't great, it's also some of the cheapest hotel food I've seen, so if you're feeling lazy by the pool, you can order and not worry about spending too much money.
I'd go back for sure.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Stayed at this property about a week ago and agree whilst it's slightly dated, it's an amazing value for about $60 USD per night (rates quoted at this or any Hyatt ID property is always in USD not IDR).

I spent a night here and a night in Sheraton Mustika near JOG. Overall, I think Sheraton is a nicer property with newer facilities and I was upgraded to a lovely suite at the Sheraton. Sheraton also provides complimentary shuttle to/from JOG airport (it's about 1-2 km from JOG) and also a complimentary 08:00 shuttle to Prambanan temple (you make your own way back from Prambanan or Sheraton can pick you up for IDR 100,000).

As a diamond, I was given a choice of breakfast in the lounge or the restaurant. While the lounge offering was somewhat limited, the restaurant had a pretty extensive selection of local and international breakfast spread. The quality is somewhat lacking relative to Sheraton, but it was decent.

The hotel is about 20-30 minutes away (with free shuttle that runs every other hour) to Jalan Malioboro (Road) and about 1 hour away (1.5 hours on the way back due to traffic) from Borobudur temple. I organized a private drive to Borobudur for sunrise (pick-up was at 04:00, but the drivers usually ask you for a 03:30 pick-up and I value the extra 30 minutes of sleep instead of getting to Borobudur at 04:30 for 05:30 sunrise) for IDR 350,000. Hyatt is closer to Borobudur by about 20-30 minutes compared to other central Yogya hotels or the Sheraton.

The hotel grounds are very nice with pools and a manicured golf course. Just outside of the hotel tho is somewhat lacking. I walked around the street leading to the Hyatt and couldn't find much other than a few local restaurants. The restaurants were great, but if you need something other than food, you might need to make the trek to Malioboro street (free shuttle or around IDR40-50,000).

Having that said, I wouldn't mind staying in this hotel again especially if I need stay/night credits. The hotel was fine (the rooms were slightly dated, but I am not the person who spends my entire vacation time in the room).

My review of the Sheraton Mustika Yogya here.
Sweet Willie likes this.

Last edited by nov11; May 10, 2016 at 10:40 am
Old May 13, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nov11
The hotel grounds are very nice...
Thanks for the comparison with Sheraton. How was the Sheraton grounds in comparison? The Hyatt grounds look gorgeous and big.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks for the comparison with Sheraton. How was the Sheraton grounds in comparison? The Hyatt grounds look gorgeous and big.
Sheraton's grounds are very nice too, but not as big as Hyatt (Sheraton does not have a golf course IIRC). Room views from Sheraton are a lot nicer for elites because you'll have a view of Mt. Merapi with pools/lagoons at the first floor.

Overall, the Hyatt grounds is nicer with fish ponds just outside the hotel lobby, bu having that said, Sheraton is pretty nice as well. If you are going for the grounds, Hyatt wins, but if you are going for the room or breakfast, Sheraton wins hands down.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:00 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Checking in tomorrow but already I'm not happy with the staff. I booked 2 rooms back in April and applied a DSU to one room. emailed the property to confirm that the regular room would get club and they confirmed. I emailed the property today regarding the airport pickup and to use a DSU on the other room (have a few that are expiring) and they told me that the room that was upgraded to a suite has club, so the other room won't have club, and I would have to pay for club or use points, which I disagree with as the upgraded room includes club by default.
I'm going to escalate this to the diamond line if I don't get a response back soon from them. If I knew this I probably would of just done the Sheraton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.