Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I'm not sure this is written anywhere, but I have been led to believe that the occupancy rules are different for suites. One might be able to book a single occupancy rate, upgrade to a suite and then add another person (possibly two as maximum occupancy is listed as three).

The double occupancy fee for Intercontinental Ambassadors and Royal Ambassadors is waived. That would be a welcome addition to Diamond benefits.
Hilton Honors waives the double occupancy fee for "spouse" (very loosely defined), for ALL members. Probably the only advantage that Hilton has over Hyatt GP.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:40 am

At the PH Zurich now. Slight delay with a 10AM check-in, but they let us into the room quickly enough, even with being "nearly sold out" the night before. Relatively unspectacular, especially considering the regular $1,000 rate, but it's Zurich, so what can you do.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by hboxster98
At the PH Zurich now. Slight delay with a 10AM check-in, but they let us into the room quickly enough, even with being "nearly sold out" the night before. Relatively unspectacular, especially considering the regular $1,000 rate, but it's Zurich, so what can you do.
Simply stay at the new Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel, roughly 60-70% less expensive and from a design and service perspective only a bit inferior..., but then again you save a bündle.

The Park Zurich is the perfect example of what Hyatt International expects Park Hyatt to be, very understated and minimalistic, very calm and steady and therefore exactly the opposite of what certain travelers expect a hotel to be, especially in that price range.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:34 am

I have 2 night in February planned with my parents and wife. I'm sure that $1,000 gets you a lot less in Zurich than any other city, but we're excited to experience another PH. We haven't been let down before (Sydney, Tokyo, Paris).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by FD1971
Simply stay at the new Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel, roughly 60-70% less expensive and from a design and service perspective only a bit inferior..., but then again you save a bündle.
How about the location of the Renaissance, is it convenient as the Park Hyatt?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
The Park Zurich is the perfect example of what Hyatt International expects Park Hyatt to be, very understated and minimalistic, very calm and steady and therefore exactly the opposite of what certain travelers expect a hotel to be, especially in that price range.
I disagree. To me, an important component of luxury is to be "calm and steady" (i.e., consistency), and "understated and minimalistic" certainly does not exclude a hotel from being luxury so long as the product is functional. The problem is that IME the PH Zurich fails on both counts.

Thanks for the tip on the Renaissance, though.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by gengar
I disagree. To me, an important component of luxury is to be "calm and steady" (i.e., consistency), and "understated and minimalistic" certainly does not exclude a hotel from being luxury so long as the product is functional. The problem is that IME the PH Zurich fails on both counts.
Interested in why/how the Park Hyatt Zurich fails to meet your expectations.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
Interested in why/how the Park Hyatt Zurich fails to meet your expectations.
I posted thoughts from my stay earlier in this thread. I haven't read anything here or on other review sites that indicate anything has really changed.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Park Hyatt Zurich, 2 night stay, April 2014

Park Hyatt Zurich, 2 nights, April 2014.

|| PARK HYATT || ZURICH || SWITZERLAND || April 2014 || We enjoyed our stay here incl. gorgeous Park Room with King bed, eating and drinking, plus the fabulous design focus, location and the on-demand services too. || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

When we learned that Hyatt was devaluating their loyalty program Gold Passport we decided to burn our points at the Park Hyatt Zurich for two nights, where we wanted to stay for a longer time, and the hotel was one of the properties which had been devalued since, from 22.000 points a night to 30.000 points a night needed.

We arrived at Zurich Airport with Swiss, which was a great experience. We had more leg room, comfortable seats, a Mediterranean Quiche and chocolate, which was delicious, and in flight entertainment (Mr. Bean and other child friendly programs).

We took the train to Zurich Main Train Station and paid ca. 44 CHF (ca. 36.15 Euro or ca. 50.20 USD) for two 1st class return tickets. From there we had the choice of public transport or taxi. We were looking for a more comfortable and hassle free way, so we took a taxi. It should cost under 20 CHF (ca. 16.45 Euro or ca. 22.82 USD). The journey took around 10 minutes.

At the hotel we were welcomed by the door man and accompanied to reception.

Check in was done quickly, and we were brought to the room by the receptionist. He explained the room features. Our suitcase arrived shortly afterwards.

Our room was large and filled with natural day light. The color scheme was gold, brown and beige.

There was a large king sized bed, a chair with ottoman, coffee table and a writing desk with two chairs.

The headboard was interesting, a canvas with a print of some kind of fruit, maybe olives.

The large flat screen TV provided international channels like Bloomberg, CNN and CNBC, some regional and to our surprise UK channels.

Internet access was free, fast and reliable. We also received a fruit plate, which we liked, because it included an apple, a pear, grapes and a plum.

There were different magazines as well, including the Hyatt and one from the Bahnhofstrasse, one of the most expensive shopping streets in the world, based in Zurich.

Another unusual feature was the "grass". It was part artwork and also part of the night light.

Our room overlooked an apartment building and we could spot the Sheraton Neues Schloss to one corner.

There was also a cupboard and wardrobe, Nespresso Coffee Machine with complimentary capsules and a minibar.

Having a sweet tooth we took the Gottfrieder praline filled wafer. It was very good and cost 7 CHF (ca. 5.80 Euro or 8 USD).

The rest of the mini bar was more or less what one would expect and started from 8 CHF (ca. 6.60 Euro or 9.10 USD).

Free water was also every day provided.

The bath room was large and had a shutter, which could be opened to the room. The bath tub and shower were set up like a Japanese wet room. There was also a large sink, a plant, a TV in the mirror - the remote control didn't work too well, for example going down channels was not possible - and toilet, which could be sealed off with a door. The amenities were by Laura Tonatto. We love the products, knowing them already from our stays at the Park Hyatt Milan. This one was slightly different than the one in Milan and even bath salt and mouth wash was included.

We used the 24 hour room service for our breakfasts and dinners. One time we had the healthy breakfast, the other time a la carte.

The healthy breakfast included Green Tea, a smoothie, a juice of our choice, scrambled eggs with sundried tomatoes, radishes and peppers with guacamole, cream cheese, plain yogurt, jams and fruit bread rolls. One of us has a raisin allergy. Checking with room service confirmed the rolls were made with them, but the Hyatt was flexible in this and one set of the breakfast came with other rolls.

Both breakfasts were excellent. We loved the high quality, tastiness and how appetizing and colorful the meals looked.

Cost for the healthy breakfast was for two 95 CHF (ca. 78 Euro or ca. 107.75 USD) including tip, the a la carte was 110 CHF (ca. 95.40 Euro or ca. 130.45 USD).

Having informed ourselves before the travel we knew that there was a specific cuisine available, developed by a nutritionist, either at The Lounge or through in room dining. Besides The Lounge there are also the fine dining restaurant Parkhuus, Onyx Bar and Cafe Z. The cuisine is divided into three groups Beauty, Brain or Mood food.

Items were available individual or as two or three course meals. We had always a three course and it was not only healthy, but also very tasty and allowed us to eat things we hadn't tried before like Perch Pike or Canadian Bison. Whenever possible the ingredients are sourced locally, so the pike and trout for example came from Lake Zurich.

Our favorites were the veal carpaccio, the trout and vegetable lasagne (this dish has a twist), the bison steak and of course the not so sweet desserts, Lingonberry Cheesecake with grape salad and chocolate mousse with blueberry ice cream.

We paid including drinks and tip between 155 CHF and 165 CHF (ca. 127.25 Euro and ca. 135.45 Euro or ca. 175.80 USD and ca. 187.15 USD)

The hotel also has a spa, the hotel is very good located, just a few blocks from the lake and the Bahnhofstrasse or Old Town.

The Park Hyatt is also famous for their Art Concept. The hotel has a large collection of modern art pieces. They call it classic modern. Some of the artists on display are Sol LeWitt, Heinz Mack and many others.

All the staff encountered was very friendly, but also efficient and knowledgeable. It was nice to have contact with the same people, for example room service was mostly delivered by the same person and the gentleman, who checked us in, took one of our calls and was also there at check out.

Even if the overnight rate is steep, we believe strongly it would be worth paying for.
The comfort of the room is great, the food outstanding and the employees do everything possible to make your stay a memorable one. Should we be in Zurich and not looking for a different experience, we are going to stay again.

Would we stay again at this hotel? YES! ^
Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 am

Here are some photos we took during our stay at the Park Hyatt Zurich in April 2014:

For more photos we took during our stay at the Park Hyatt Zurich in April 2014:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/uggboy...7643689004214/

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
uggboy,

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

The pictures give a very objective and fair overview.

As pointed out before, several Park Hyatt properties in Western Europe are starting to get old. Hamburg is leading the pack, but even a very conservative and timeless set up, like at the Park Zurich, is simple not really vowing anyone anymore in 2014.

The arrangement of furniture, the combination of wood, leather and the respective colours is still beautiful, but newer hotels are catching up at a third of the price the PH charges.

Both the Ren and Sheraton offer nice views, easy access to public transport aside from a club lounge.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:43 am

uggboy,

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

The pictures give a very objective and fair overview.

As pointed out before, several Park Hyatt properties in Western Europe are starting to get old. Hamburg is leading the pack, but even a very conservative and timeless set up, like at the Park Zurich, is simple not really vowing anyone anymore in 2014.

The arrangement of furniture, the combination of wood, leather and the respective colours is still beautiful, but newer hotels are catching up at a third of the price the PH charges.

Both the Ren and Sheraton offer nice views, easy access to public transport aside from a club lounge.
Thanks FD1971 for your compliments regarding our trip report and pictures, personally we found the Park Hyatt Zurich a wonderful hotel, super location, elegant spaces and large rooms, of course newer hotels will be more timely and yes, the Park Hyatt will eventually have to renovate here in Zurich and anywhere else in Europe and the world, but it's a unique property with a beautiful location and superior food / drink offerings, I believe that the Park Hyatt Zurich has a lot of mileage ahead right now, regarding the Park Hyatt Hamburg, we've stayed there twice over the years and yes, you're right, this one needs a refreshment in terms of rooms and service, on our second stay we felt the service there was slipping and the design wasn't that "wow" while good, it wasn't that great, but that's Hamburg, which is different from the Park Hyatt's in Milan or Zurich, we enjoyed them both very much, more than the Park Hyatt in Hamburg which needs to be rethought regarding what's on offer and what not. Cheers.

Thanks for the recommendations for the Renaissance and the new Sheraton which are all located in the new and upcoming business district, I believe called Zurich West / Sihlcity, having said that, there's the Sheraton Neues Schloss which is located very near the Park Hyatt too, within easy 5 minute walk to the lake and 10 minutes to the old town, no public transportation needed to see the attractions from these hotels.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:17 pm

Just checked into PH Zurich after four days at Paris Vendome - I am VERY impressed with Zurich. This is a family (2 adults, one 13 yearold) trip so I had booked a suite using points just before the deval. Upon arrival we were upgraded (with out request) to what I believe is a queen executive suite. Its a giant room with two queen beds, one spectacular bath (including bidet) plus a half bath, office, living and dining room (probably about 1000 square feet).

The FDC showed us to the room and verified that diamond breakfast was available via room service. We had a full-sized bottle of nice red wine (better than the amenity at PH Vendome IMO) and cheese waiting for us (but it was not the diamond amenity, I had requested points). In addition they provided an impressive chocolate covered apple and an amazing fruit tray in the dining area.

A quick walk around the neighborhood was -very- satisfying, lots of dining and dancing options on the lake, basically this is a great location. Finally, the lobby bar is clearly the most glamorous place in central Switzerland on a Wednesday night.

Overall, I am very impressed with the PH Zurich (despite the lack of acquafresh)
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Help me decide between cash and points for this category 7 hotel or $594 a night for a 3 night stay...?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Help me decide between cash and points for this category 7 hotel or $594 a night for a 3 night stay...?
IMHO it looks like a wash, maybe points plus cash a bit cheaper depending on what you value of Hyatt points plus you will pay tax only on $300 So if you have plenty of points use points plus cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.