Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Room upgraded on the app but downgraded during check in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Had a situation that never happened with me before. Globalist, booked two queen room with points, in the morning app showed that I was upgraded to lake view 2 queens room. During check in was informed that they are oversold on lake view rooms and was downgraded back to the standard 2 queen room.
interesting fact: my in-laws check in right after( staying with Guest of Honor award that I gave them) and got lake view 2 queens room.
Is anyone had similar experience?
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rusikusa
Had a situation that never happened with me before. Globalist, booked two queen room with points, in the morning app showed that I was upgraded to lake view 2 queens room. During check in was informed that they are oversold on lake view rooms and was downgraded back to the standard 2 queen room.
interesting fact: my in-laws check in right after( staying with Guest of Honor award that I gave them) and got lake view 2 queens room.
Anything can happen. Maybe the room wasn’t ready when you checked in.
More commonly, someone else arrived earlier and asked for an upgrade.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
yup. The opposite can also happen (getting an upgraded room to a better room after already getting an "upgrade" in the app). Consider nothing safe until you're standing in your room.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rusikusa
Originally Posted by SP03
This is why I ALWAYS screenshot the app when it shows I was upgraded and to what room or suite. If I was upgraded then downgraded and had the proof I’d request whatever other upgrade is currently available.

Also, I had a similar situation too.

Booked a GOH for Father in Law he was pre-upgraded to a suite (showed online ahead) and checked in right away. I went to check in 2 minutes later was not pre-upgraded needed to request a Globalist upgrade and had to wait 2 hours for the suite to be ready. For reference we both checked in at 1pm so not crazy early and it was a fairly large property so plenty of suites inventory.
kevino likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Has happened to me the other month as well, but on a Prive reservation which should've guaranteed a one-category upgrade after booking. Confirmed seeing the upgrade until a few hours before checking in, when my reservation changed to a regular room.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Has happened to me the other month as well, but on a Prive reservation which should've guaranteed a one-category upgrade after booking. Confirmed seeing the upgrade until a few hours before checking in, when my reservation changed to a regular room.
Did you not contact your Prive’ advisor? It’s kind of their job to get you at least the promised Prive’ benefits.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Did you not contact your Prive’ advisor? It’s kind of their job to get you at least the promised Prive’ benefits.
It was through one of those sites that lets you book Prive rates online, so not exactly the personalized service that you otherwise would get by emailing. However, it makes the booking process a lot easier when you just want to get things done ASAP, while having the option of canceling/rebooking if rates drop without feeling like you're bothering the advisor.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:31 pm

It was through one of those sites that lets you book Prive rates online, so not exactly the personalized service that you otherwise would get by emailing. However, it makes the booking process a lot easier when you just want to get things done ASAP, while having the option of canceling/rebooking if rates drop without feeling like you're bothering the advisor.
Never heard of a site that lets you book Prive’ on your own, I think that’s just a bad idea overall as shown in your situation. Along with Prive’ advisors being able to set up special accommodations or even further upgrades.

If you need to cancel a Prive’ booking you can just cancel it in the Hyatt app no need to even contact them. If you need to make a minor change just email them. They get a commission that’s what they’re paid to do.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This has happened to me as well, on a prive booking.

Booked partial view room and confirmed into a full ocean view. Day of the app showed upgraded to the standard suite, but upon check-in was no longer available.
Was put into a non-view room, so I ended up complaining and reaching out to my advisor. Was eventually upgraded to the suite.

But as a rule I always book a room I'd be happy in because you never know, and I'd hate for the lack of an upgrade to ruin a stay.
MasterPlanner and wantan like this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Had this happen to me as well. Shown an upgrade to an executive suite the morning of check in. Checked in through the app and when I looked later that afternoon it was downgraded to a regular room. I'm going to guess the weather caused the hotel to become nearly full with distressed airline pax because when I arrived at 11pm there was a line out the door to get checked in and I could no longer use OLCI after the downgrade. Took nearly an hour to get through the line. I even went down and asked in the morning what happened because at that point I just wanted to get in to the room. I was told that I was in a suite (I was not). I have no idea how she was under the impression that the downgrade from a suite to a room with a view or something was considered a further upgrade. I ended up getting 10k points for the trouble after the fact at least.
kevino and Rusikusa like this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

How do you see you've been upgraded ahead of time? Android app and website only displays the original booked room even after check in and upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

On the iPhone app on the day of the check-in you’ll see notification that you was upgraded. Actually you can check it 1-2 days before the check in if you go Stay details in the upcoming stays section and press manage. Sometimes it’s updated few days before check in. Not sure about Android
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I had the similar experience last week - saw my room upgraded to a premium suite on the app but downgraded to a lower tier suite before checking-in. I didn’t want my room to get even lower to non-suite so just checked-in using the app (I usually check-in in person). Iirc, the app was showing something like “Your xyz suite is confirmed” during the app check-in.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Had this happen to me as well. Shown an upgrade to an executive suite the morning of check in. Checked in through the app and when I looked later that afternoon it was downgraded to a regular room.
I had this happen at the HR LAX. Showed an upgrade to a suite in the afternoon, but when I was on my way to the hotel after landing late evening, it showed a regular room. I had always wondered if I should have checked in on the app as soon as I saw the suite on my reservation, but I guess it wouldn't have made a difference.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I had this happen at the HR LAX. Showed an upgrade to a suite in the afternoon, but when I was on my way to the hotel after landing late evening, it showed a regular room. I had always wondered if I should have checked in on the app as soon as I saw the suite on my reservation, but I guess it wouldn't have made a difference.
I don't think the OLCI means anything in practice. I've done it and its shown me with upgrade rooms, but upon getting keys at the desk the room often changes (when changes happens maybe half upgrade above what is shown and half downgrade from what is shown). I would say more often then not if they hotel does not do true OLCI with digital key then its likely you wont get the room shown either.
TerryK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.