Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Not upgraded at Eliza Jane NO but friends with no status were

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Staying at the Eliza Jane in NO for a few days. Globalist. Checked in and app showed an upgrade room available, I asked about it and he said, none were available for my whole stay.

Two friends staying at same hotel. One used the GOH that I gave him, Explorist. Checked in 5 min after me and they gave him the upgraded room that I wanted. Another friend, no status, just signed up for Hyatt today, so Explorist. Got a standard suite upgrade. We all booked the base room with cash. All of us staying the same length of days. I confronted the front desk agent and he was sorta apologetic, said they messed up and understands why I'm upset. Said that rooms were preassigned by someone else and that's why he said that room I wanted wasn't available. It's Sunday, so no manager on duty, can speak to them tomorrow.

Do I have a legit complaint per the terms? And is this how Hyatt does upgrades...lol... if I didn't have friends staying, I would have no idea why I didn't get a Globalist upgrade. I can speak to the manager tomorrow or also contact my Concierge.

Anyway, wanted to share my experience. I need to decide what compensation to ask for too, if I have a valid complaint.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between you and the other Globalist (your friend on the GoH award), I don't think there's a clear decision on who gets the upgrade. In the eyes of the hotel, you both deserve it. So if it was really preassigned (seems possible) then that could just be the way it goes. Globalist A or Globalist B. If they dug in and saw one was a GoH award, maybe that would tip the needle, but maybe not.

The no-status friend who signed up today? Seems very wrong to me. Maybe the suite was occupied until after your check-in time? At which point they could have potentially asked you if you wanted to wait for a suite upgrade. How much time elapsed between your check-in and theirs?
kevino likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Oh, yes, this one is legit. Hyatt is the one chain that honors the upgrade rule. You should enjoy your talk with the manager. Of course, be very polite, but point out the WOH terms on upgrade. Your friend who just joined would not even be Explorist. Base is not even Discoverist--which takes 10 nights (https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ts.html#charts). EJ, while not a place I want to stay (due to some rooms not having windows) is pretty well regarded within WOH, and they will not want to have you feeling slightest. Sounds like a mistake, but one that they will correct. Please let us know how.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:53 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Oh, yes, this one is legit. Hyatt is the one chain that honors the upgrade rule. You should enjoy your talk with the manager. Of course, be very polite, but point out the WOH terms on upgrade. Your friend who just joined would not even be Explorist. Base is not even Discoverist--which takes 10 nights (https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ts.html#charts). EJ, while not a place I want to stay (due to some rooms not having windows) is pretty well regarded within WOH, and they will not want to have you feeling slightest. Sounds like a mistake, but one that they will correct. Please let us know how.
How is Eliza Jane well-regarded? They reportedly still charge a credit card surcharge even though Hyatt told them not to. The rooms are filthy, staff has horrid attitudes, and they don’t even cover a full breakfast, in my experience. This prison masquerading as a hotel almost led me to quit Hyatt for good.
bbbb, notquiteaff, Kacee and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
How is Eliza Jane well-regarded? They reportedly still charge a credit card surcharge even though Hyatt told them not to. The rooms are filthy, staff has horrid attitudes, and they don’t even cover a full breakfast, in my experience. This prison masquerading as a hotel almost led me to quit Hyatt for good.
By people who like NO. Not by me, if you catch what I said. No dream of mine be in a humid city in a windowless room, but people in some of my Hyatt groups cannot wait to be there. I think the staff would not appreciate more negative publicity because people still seek it out. Clearly you and I won't be among them.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
Between you and the other Globalist (your friend on the GoH award), I don't think there's a clear decision on who gets the upgrade. In the eyes of the hotel, you both deserve it. So if it was really preassigned (seems possible) then that could just be the way it goes. Globalist A or Globalist B. If they dug in and saw one was a GoH award, maybe that would tip the needle, but maybe not.

The no-status friend who signed up today? Seems very wrong to me. Maybe the suite was occupied until after your check-in time? At which point they could have potentially asked you if you wanted to wait for a suite upgrade. How much time elapsed between your check-in and theirs?
My first complaint was after my friend checked and I went to my room and then I went to his room and I'm like, this looks like the room I wanted. Checked his app and it was the upgraded room, I asked about. Then I went downstairs to ask what happened, that's when the whole thing about being preassigned was explained. I let it go at this point, annoyed but okay.

My next friend checks in later about 1 hour after us and he did have to wait for his room, so it was being cleaned but I wasn't offered the opportunity to wait for an upgrade, was told no upgrades available. I go to his room and it's the standard suite, that's when I went back down to make a point about upgrades to them and ask for the manager, who isn't here until Monday.

I made a mistake, my friend with the GOH is a Discoverist, he stayed about 10 nights last year and as the other post mentioned, the one that signed up today is a base member.

Yes, the rooms are dark. The room they gave me, the base, has more lighting than the standard suite that my second friend got. The better room is the friend with the GOH, he got the magazine street view room, so it's a suite but at least it has a window facing the street, so light comes in. The standard suite is dark.

Haven't had breakfast yet, was told $30pp, will report back in the Eliza thread after with a full review. We're here for a conference and this was the closest Hyatt.

We have one friend that I checked in as a Diamond Ambassador to the IC New Orleans and he was upgraded to the 1 bedroom suite from the base room.
Another friend is staying at the Q&C AC Marriot around the block and from the base room, he got upgraded as a Platinum to the skyline view room, which seems to be one of their best rooms.
The point being the Eliza Jane was the worst hotel of the 3....lol... I booked this because it's a Hyatt and got punished...haha
kevino likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by moolman
My first complaint was after my friend checked and I went to my room and then I went to his room and I'm like, this looks like the room I wanted. Checked his app and it was the upgraded room, I asked about. Then I went downstairs to ask what happened, that's when the whole thing about being preassigned was explained. I let it go at this point, annoyed but okay.

My next friend checks in later about 1 hour after us and he did have to wait for his room, so it was being cleaned but I wasn't offered the opportunity to wait for an upgrade, was told no upgrades available. I go to his room and it's the standard suite, that's when I went back down to make a point about upgrades to them and ask for the manager, who isn't here until Monday.

I made a mistake, my friend with the GOH is a Discoverist, he stayed about 10 nights last year and as the other post mentioned, the one that signed up today is a base member.

Yes, the rooms are dark. The room they gave me, the base, has more lighting than the standard suite that my second friend got. The better room is the friend with the GOH, he got the magazine street view room, so it's a suite but at least it has a window facing the street, so light comes in. The standard suite is dark.

Haven't had breakfast yet, was told $30pp, will report back in the Eliza thread after with a full review. We're here for a conference and this was the closest Hyatt.

We have one friend that I checked in as a Diamond Ambassador to the IC New Orleans and he was upgraded to the 1 bedroom suite from the base room.
Another friend is staying at the Q&C AC Marriot around the block and from the base room, he got upgraded as a Platinum to the skyline view room, which seems to be one of their best rooms.
The point being the Eliza Jane was the worst hotel of the 3....lol... I booked this because it's a Hyatt and got punished...haha
My impression continues to sink. I never understood the appeal, but people continue to laud its "charm."
You better not have to pay for breakfast as a Globalist! Sheesh! Call your concierge if this gets worse!
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:57 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
this is very weird and does not sound correct at all.
typically Hyatt hotels do have a "ranking" of guests, so you as the "true" Globalist should have gotten the best room, certainly before someone using a GoH-Award.

Keep us posted, please.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
that's when I went back down to make a point about upgrades to them and ask for the manager, who isn't here until Monday.
Is it normal for a hotel to not have a duty manager on site?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 59Impala
this is very weird and does not sound correct at all.
typically Hyatt hotels do have a "ranking" of guests, so you as the "true" Globalist should have gotten the best room, certainly before someone using a GoH-Award.

Keep us posted, please.
Where do you see that a "true" Globalist should get upgraded before a GoH Globalist? Is that in the terms somewhere?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:32 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by josephstern
Where do you see that a "true" Globalist should get upgraded before a GoH Globalist? Is that in the terms somewhere?
no, not in the terms. but Hyatt does have rankings of Globalists and other guests. And that is my view, that a "true" Globalist should be treated better than a GOH-guest.

VIP Code - FlyerTalk Forums
IggySD and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Most hotels with a lot of globalists preassign a day in advance or in the morning of arrival. I guess your friend got lucky and got the upgrade assigned and you didn’t.

That’s how it works. I suppose hotels can preassign based on how many rolling stays you’ve had in the last 12 months. Or based on stays in the last year. Or based on number of stays at that specific hotel.

But reality is hotel just want a quick and easy way to get this done.
cmjaffe likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SP03
Most hotels with a lot of globalists preassign a day in advance or in the morning of arrival. I guess your friend got lucky and got the upgrade assigned and you didn’t.

That’s how it works. I suppose hotels can preassign based on how many rolling stays you’ve had in the last 12 months. Or based on stays in the last year. Or based on number of stays at that specific hotel.

But reality is hotel just want a quick and easy way to get this done.
That would perhaps explain/justify the GoH booking getting an upgrade, but not the brand new member without any status, I think?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is it normal for a hotel to not have a duty manager on site?
No. Highly unusual
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That would perhaps explain/justify the GoH booking getting an upgrade, but not the brand new member without any status, I think?

Two friends staying at same hotel. One used the GOH that I gave him, Explorist. Checked in 5 min after me and they gave him the upgraded room that I wanted. Another friend, no status, just signed up for Hyatt today, so Explorist. Got a standard suite upgrade.

Anyway, wanted to share my experience. I need to decide what compensation to ask for too, if I have a valid complaint.
I’m not sure if the no status friend got the suite. He said the GOH friend for the upgraded room he wanted. The sentencing is confusing.

Frankly, the hotel can upgrade whoever it wanted. If it made a mistake and pre upgraded your friend for whatever reason, and then there’s no upgrade left when it comes to your room, there’s really nothing you can do.

I think you should be happy that you gave your friend a suite as a result of your GOH. Instead of letting it sour your own experience.
cmjaffe and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.