Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Recent DPs in Extending or Converting Expired Awards (2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent DPs in Extending or Converting Expired Awards (2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:52 am
soy
Original Poster

Programs: various
This seems like a glitch and when the system attempts to consume the cert on June 21 it will be expired, resulting in having to pay cash/points to check in. Be great if it was true but it would be a complete outlier.
IHG free night certs used to be like this until they revamped their program a couple of years ago
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
This would be a nice change. I always thought it was weird that Hyatt tied the expiration date to the date of the stay rather than the date of booking.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by soy
This seems like a glitch and when the system attempts to consume the cert on June 21 it will be expired, resulting in having to pay cash/points to check in. Be great if it was true but it would be a complete outlier.
IHG free night certs used to be like this until they revamped their program a couple of years ago
this is the scenario that scares me. Like once the cert expires it will be removed from my account and the hotel will not be able to redeem it for reimbursement from Hyatt
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:08 pm

Hello all, I have a Category 4 free night award (30 qualifying night reward) that expires on March 9, 2024. I've inquired with friends and family, but no one is interested in using it. Additionally, I have no travel plans and am hesitant to sell the free night to someone I don't know. Does anyone know if Hyatt still offers 10,000 points for an expired free night? Any recent DP would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Toastsandwich; Feb 29, 2024 at 8:22 pm
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Toastsandwich
Hello all, I have a Category 4 free night award that expires on March 9, 2024. I've inquired with friends and family, but no one is interested in using it. Additionally, I have no travel plans and am hesitant to sell the free night to someone I don't know. Does anyone know if Hyatt still offers 10,000 points for an expired free night? Any recent DP would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Awards from credit card spending will get no special treatment. You can normally get points for expired milestone awards. Theres no easy way to tell the difference between the two types.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:31 pm

Thank you! I believe it's a 30 qualifying night reward (valid for only 180 days).
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:54 pm

I was able to get 15,000 points for my 4 expired Club Access rewards. For reference, I am Globalist.

First Attempt (chat): Firm No, 'we don't do that'
Second Attempt (chat): "it might be possible but I cannot do it over the chat, you need to call customer service over the phone"
Third Attempt (phone): success

This was a lot better than I was expecting - I was ready to give up after this third attempt. Even getting 250 points for each reward would have made me my day.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeonS
I was able to get 15,000 points for my 4 expired Club Access rewards. For reference, I am Globalist.

Second Attempt (chat): "it might be possible but I cannot do it over the chat, you need to call customer service over the phone"

This was a lot better than I was expecting - I was ready to give up after this third attempt. Even getting 250 points for each reward would have made me my day.
I think youd have a better chance selling me a bridge.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

It nice that you got something for your expired rewards.
Rant on
I am only an explorist who does earn Club Access awards. The problem is that I cannot find a place to use them. My last stay at the SD Grand Hyatt, there was "no availability" for club access. The reward expired unused.
My next stay, at the Hyatt Chicago Downtown, there is "no availability " for the dates I will be staying there. The reward will expire unused.
All the agents are so sweet, saying their apologies about unavailability ....blah blah and call back. But we know how this is going to end
If you are going to give me a reward which is never available at the hotels where it can be cashed in, what good is it for me? (I know why it is good for Hyatt!!)
There is the old joke about a man questioning a retailer about an incredible 90% off deal and being told the item on sale is unavailable. The disappointed customer then grouses. "Well, if I don't have an item, I too can sell it for 90% off."
Rant off.

Airlines do it, hotels do it. Phony points, worthless rewards. Oh well
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It nice that you got something for your expired rewards.
Rant on
I am only an explorist who does earn Club Access awards. The problem is that I cannot find a place to use them. My last stay at the SD Grand Hyatt, there was "no availability" for club access. The reward expired unused.
My next stay, at the Hyatt Chicago Downtown, there is "no availability " for the dates I will be staying there. The reward will expire unused.
All the agents are so sweet, saying their apologies about unavailability ....blah blah and call back. But we know how this is going to end
If you are going to give me a reward which is never available at the hotels where it can be cashed in, what good is it for me? (I know why it is good for Hyatt!!)
There is the old joke about a man questioning a retailer about an incredible 90% off deal and being told the item on sale is unavailable. The disappointed customer then grouses. "Well, if I don't have an item, I too can sell it for 90% off."
Rant off.

Airlines do it, hotels do it. Phony points, worthless rewards. Oh well
Just FYI if your stays were after 1/1/24 thats likely the issue because Globalists could gift these Club Certificates that were useless to them to basically anyone who could use them. In doing that Club Lounges became and will remain overcrowded.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Just FYI if your stays were after 1/1/24 thats likely the issue because Globalists could gift these Club Certificates that were useless to them to basically anyone who could use them. In doing that Club Lounges became and will remain overcrowded.
Thanks for the explanation.
It doesn't make me feel any better having nothing more than a worthless paper (or electronic notification) reward that expires unused. At a minimum, they could comp me breakfast for the darn thing
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Thanks for the explanation.
It doesn't make me feel any better having nothing more than a worthless paper (or electronic notification) reward that expires unused. At a minimum, they could comp me breakfast for the darn thing
So I take it these stays were in 2024?

Also, if you want to use them Id recommend booking 6+ months in advance.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Any recent data points? I have a Cat 1-7 award expiring in two weeks and don't have a good use right now. Would really like 20K points instead...
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke777
Any recent data points? I have a Cat 1-7 award expiring in two weeks and don't have a good use right now. Would really like 20K points instead...
Mine expired March 30. Emailed my concierge a couple days after it expired asking if could get points in lieu and she said, well it's not really Hyatt policy, one time courtesy, blah blah, here's 20k points.
Duke777 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold

Following your message I asked for the 10th time to my (very good) concierge and still got the same answer that they can only give points for expired free night certificates (but not for club access or suite upgrade ones).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.