Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are Free night cert extention possible due to CV19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Free night cert extention possible due to CV19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Message from my Hyatt Concierge:

At this time, World of Hyatt is offering extensions to those who live in or travel frequently to the Asia-Pacific area. The safety and well-being of our guests and colleagues is always a top priority, and we are still closely monitoring the situation for any changes and other regions impacted.”

Seems like small improvement, hoping for more positive changes.
Does Hawaii qualify as living in the Asia-Pacific area?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Does Hawaii qualify as living in the Asia-Pacific area?
For this offering, what territories are considered within Asia Pacific?
American Samoa, Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Caroline Islands, Greater China (including Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan), Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, North Borneo, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pitcairn, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Wake Island, Wallis and Futuna.
COVID-19 FAQs
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Limiting this to APAC makes no sense at all. The US and Europe are now much harder hit.

Hyatt needs to stop up and extend the certificates for everyone. It's going to leave a very bad taste if they don't.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
In my recent post-expiration call for a cert I was given the 10K pts and gLOB extended through Feb 22 because a preponderance of my stays were in Asia. The rep felt I should contact WOH to get the cert reinstated but I haven't bothered to date. Upcoming certs have not had their expiration dates changed so this will be interesting.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I just reached out for my May 15 expiring Chase 1-4 certificate (I have the old CC) and was told that at present they are not offering anything that are out

Okay sure I will wait 4 weeks and try again when nothing has changed. Give me a break Hyatt (and FWIW I had to cancel my use of it because our trip to Japan in March was canceled due to COVID19 so it's not like I didn't try to use it).
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Duke787
I just reached out for my May 15 expiring Chase 1-4 certificate.
You would have much better luck calling back on May 14/15, not March 29.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by mhdena
You would have much better luck calling back on May 14/15, not March 29.
Yes, that’s correct. The way it works is calling after it has just expired, Not before.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
I just reached out for my May 15 expiring Chase 1-4 certificate (I have the old CC) and was told that at present they are not offering anything that are out ....
Call again on May 16th.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have 3 certificates I already reserved for August that I'm hoping to be able to use.

I'm waiting to see if Hyatt does anything about extending them and/or extending our status.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I phoned Hyatt to extend my free night cert expiring in 6 days(or to get the 10k points which seems to be what is happening). I was told that all certs were being extended until 2021 and I could just let it expire and it would be extended. I think this is incorrect information though and is actually only true for APAC members?

Should I phone again, or wait until it has expired in 7 days?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:01 am

I haven't heard anything from my concierge and I'm sure he'll notify all his people when they're extended.

I have a cat1-7 expiring in June, and 3 1-4 expiring this summer.

But, I might prefer them to be turned in for points. We get more benefits using points rather than a certificate.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I phoned Hyatt to extend my free night cert expiring in 6 days(or to get the 10k points which seems to be what is happening). I was told that all certs were being extended until 2021 and I could just let it expire and it would be extended. I think this is incorrect information though and is actually only true for APAC members?

Should I phone again, or wait until it has expired in 7 days?
I’ve heard from other Globs and Concierge there’s supposed to be an announcement from Hyatt today or this week regarding certificates. Not sure if it’s going to say an extension until 2021 or what, just know it’s an announcement about them.

Fingers Crossed!

Originally Posted by Mary2e
. We get more benefits using points rather than a certificate.
How do you get more benefits using points than a certificate?

I know you get more flexibility like trading a Cat 7 for 20k Points you could stay at a Cat 3 and a Cat 2 or a Cat 4 and a Cat 1.

Some would argue though that you get more benefits using a free night certificate than points. As some properties that offer Globs Comp Parking have misunderstood the WOH T&C only to grant it when using a Free Night Certificate, not using points. This is despite Hyatt Corporate clarifying a full points booking is also defined as a “Free Night Award”. HR ABQ is one of these properties. It’s a Cat 1 and to many on here they’ve insisted complimentary parking for Globs is only available when using a Free Night Certificate which is ludicrous because who in their right mind would use it at a Cat 1?

I can understand a Cat 3, but DataPoints over the last year have indicted just to let it expire and exchange for 10k points so even a Cat 2 wouldn’t make sense.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I’ve heard from other Globs and Concierge there’s supposed to be an announcement from Hyatt today or this week regarding certificates. Not sure if it’s going to say an extension until 2021 or what, just know it’s an announcement about them.

Fingers Crossed!

How do you get more benefits using points than a certificate?

I know you get more flexibility like trading a Cat 7 for 20k Points you could stay at a Cat 3 and a Cat 2 or a Cat 4 and a Cat 1.

Some would argue though that you get more benefits using a free night certificate than points. As some properties that offer Globs Comp Parking have misunderstood the WOH T&C only to grant it when using a Free Night Certificate, not using points. This is despite Hyatt Corporate clarifying a full points booking is also defined as a “Free Night Award”. HR ABQ is one of these properties. It’s a Cat 1 and to many on here they’ve insisted complimentary parking for Globs is only available when using a Free Night Certificate which is ludicrous because who in their right mind would use it at a Cat 1?

I can understand a Cat 3, but DataPoints over the last year have indicted just to let it expire and exchange for 10k points so even a Cat 2 wouldn’t make sense.
You can apply a suite upgrade to a points reservation but not one using a free night award. This is a big one for me. I have 3 nights booked on award certs this summer and could not apply an upgrade certificate to it, nor in any other hotel I've tried.

I've also received free parking on both free night awards and points reservations.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
You can apply a suite upgrade to a points reservation but not one using a free night award. This is a big one for me. I have 3 nights booked on award certs this summer and could not apply an upgrade certificate to it, nor in any other hotel I've tried.

I've also received free parking on both free night awards and points reservations.
I guess if you’re combining several Category Certs into 1 booking it can be helpful. Mostly I used mine 1 at a time so it’d be a waste to use a Suite Upgrade Award.

I too have received free parking in Points stays and Category Certificate stays. That’s how it’s supposed to be, it’s just Hyatt’s language in the T&C says “Complimentary parking for Globalists on Free Night Awards”. Which you even just differentiated a Free Night Award from a Full Points reservation when in fact Hyatt considers Category Certificates and Full Points bookings both “Free Night Awards”. Clarified by Hyatt Global Contact Center and Hyatt Twitter Concierge.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:51 pm

Just to note Hyatt’s Twitter Concierge has confirmed they are offering points for certificates expiring prior to 4/30/2020 this was asked today.

beltway likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.