Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are Free night cert extention possible due to CV19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Free night cert extention possible due to CV19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
And is there something wrong with that? I wish Hyatt came out with cert extension before Marriott so I wouldn't had to start this thread.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
People...it's the weekend. Lot of internal deliberations are likely going on at their HQ now. Have some faith in Hyatt, they will do the right (and smart) thing with this one.
I can always contact my Globe concierge to request point credit... That may be even better than extension.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I asked about extending a Cat 1-7 award night that expires 4/20 (current used for a 4/14 reservation) and this is the response I got [bolding theirs]...

"We are aware of the closing of Beaver Creek and Vail Mountain in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Given the quickly evolving nature of the situation, it is simply too early to suggest revised award expiration beyond members in Asia Pacific. However, we know that adjustments will need to be made, and we are committed to communicating these as soon as we can.
You may cancel your reservation up to 24 hours prior to arrival with no penalty so we ask that you just allow us time to determine how we will proceed to best serve our most loyal members such as yourself."
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I asked about a status extension given that I'm not allowed to travel for the next couple of months, not that there are any flights where I usually go; Brazil.
This was the reply from my concierge:
"Given the quickly evolving nature of the situation, it is simply too early to suggest revised elite tier qualifications and award expiration beyond members in Asia Pacific. However, we know that adjustments will need to be made, and we are committed to communicating these as soon as we can. The safety and well-being of our guests and colleagues remain our highest priority. Please feel free to reach out to me for updates, and you can also visit www.hyatt.com if it is more convenient."
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
"we are committed to communicating these as soon as we can. "
I think soon is NOW. Make up your mind as certs are expiring daily and we cannot use them in US without the fear of contracting CV. I really don't understand their hesitation.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I think soon is NOW. Make up your mind as certs are expiring daily and we cannot use them in US without the fear of contracting CV. I really don't understand their hesitation.
I'm sure if your expiration is this April, they will make an exception to you.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic

Dramatic! I like it! Its a cert. Relax. Either you are traveling or you aren't.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Marriott and Hilton are extending to January 2021. While that is a great start, it is not entirely fair as I'm sure other (like me) have certs expiring in December/January that we were planning to use in the next two months. Depending on how this shakes out we may not be able to use them as planned (since the hotels I had reserved are currently closed) and my personal travel is always light in the 2nd half of the year.

So ideally I would like to see a blanket extension to 2022 or at least one year from the date the quarantines/shelter-in-place orders end. But not holding my breath.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I guarantee that everybody in this thread has lost far more money in the stock market / 401k plan / whatever in recent weeks than the $255 it will cost to buy 15,000 points for a Cat. 4 or $510 to buy 30,000 points for a Cat. 7. (when the 40% promo comes around) And that's without considering that Hyatt usually gives you 10k or 20k for an expired certificate...

I suppose it's what they say about academia - the smaller the stakes, the more people fight over them...
TerryK, Boraxo and tjae like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
My Cat. 1-7 Award night is expiring 3-31-20. Had planned to use it at GH Kauai next week but had to cancel due to this travel mess. I wrote W of H today asking for an extension and this is response I received. Not happy...We certainly understand that during this time, the information about the coronavirus can be overwhelming. Please rest assured Hyatt is closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and taking the necessary steps to ensure the health and safety of our guests and colleagues. We have shared a comprehensive guide about COVID-19 with all Hyatt hotels globally that outlines what is COVID-19, how to protect against transmission of virus and more.

We are continuing to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak and making the necessary changes to our World of Hyatt program as we see fit. At this time, we are not offering any extension of free night awards. However, you are able to gift this award to a friend or family member that may be able to utilize this award prior to the expiration date. Please contact after your award has expired so we may reevaluate your membership account and awards.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused for you. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Hyatt Care Team | Global Contact Centre
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
I was in similar situation, i had booked the park hyatt in majorca using the cert--well guess what the hotel is closing until the end of the month. The hotel even made contact asking the cert be extended: No no no no.
However, my hyatt conscierge said we could be given 20,000 points for it. I took it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I was in similar situation, i had booked the park hyatt in majorca using the cert--well guess what the hotel is closing until the end of the month. The hotel even made contact asking the cert be extended: No no no no.
However, my hyatt conscierge said we could be given 20,000 points for it. I took it.
Same. Canceled a stay at PH Paris after French Open was postponed and my concierge said nope even after I rescheduled the same stay for September. Offered 20k points but said extension couldn’t even be considered.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819
Same. Canceled a stay at PH Paris after French Open was postponed and my concierge said nope even after I rescheduled the same stay for September. Offered 20k points but said extension couldn’t even be considered.
Same here, we’ll see what Hyatt corporate decides.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'd be happy with 20k points - I know that's not enough to cover the top properties but the flexibility and lack of expiration are worth a lot.
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Hyatt already extended my status though 2020 due to heavy APAC travel and pushed off devaluation until next year.

I think 20k is more than fair and will gladly take it if I'm not able to use my FN by June. I would have likely used that 10k on properties that went up or peak nights if traveling anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.