Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are Free night cert extention possible due to CV19?

Old Mar 14, 20, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver

I have a free night cert expiring in mid April. Has anyone successfully extended it due to the CV19?
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Would also like to know if anyone had success in extending it and how (phone, concierge, email).
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:33 am

I got an email from Marriott this morning that they are extending the expiration on free night awards that expire this year to 1/31/2021, and are extending the expiration of all suite upgrade awards by one year. It would be nice if Hyatt matched this move as well.
ceebee100 and aceboy44 like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton GLD, Hyatt GLB
I reached out to my concierge and she said she could only give points (20k). I have a cat 7 that expires in June. I wish they would extend it for one more year or 6 months.

The way she replied kind of implied that itís a system limitation rather than something that can be done. Iím hoping Hyatt will allow these to be extended. If it is a system situation then Replace them with fresh new ones!
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KL808 View Post
I reached out to my concierge and she said she could only give points (20k). I have a cat 7 that expires in June. I wish they would extend it for one more year or 6 months.

The way she replied kind of implied that itís a system limitation rather than something that can be done. Iím hoping Hyatt will allow these to be extended. If it is a system situation then Replace them with fresh new ones!
I also have a certificate expiring in June and have upgrade awards expiring next year that I'm hoping will also be extended. I email my concierge last week about having my Globalist status extended as over half my travel the last few years has been to Asia. She quickly extended my status to 2022 but none of my awards were extended. I emailed her back and asked if they would be extended and told me that a separate department deals with the extension of awards and that she has no control over it, but that they are looking into it. I guess it's simply wait and see for now.
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gspurr View Post
I also have a certificate expiring in June and have upgrade awards expiring next year that I'm hoping will also be extended. I email my concierge last week about having my Globalist status extended as over half my travel the last few years has been to Asia. She quickly extended my status to 2022 but none of my awards were extended. I emailed her back and asked if they would be extended and told me that a separate department deals with the extension of awards and that she has no control over it, but that they are looking into it. I guess it's simply wait and see for now.
Same situation. I mentioned it in the other COVID APAC thread. Concierges have discretion to extend Globalist status, but awards, TSUs, etc. are out of their hands... waiting on a policy change from Hyatt corporate.
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Just got this.. maybe they are rethinking it under "Benefit Extension"

Evaluating Elite Tier Qualification and Benefit Extension:

In February, World of Hyatt extended elite tier status and award expiration dates for qualifying members residing in Asia Pacific. Visit the World of Hyatt COVID-19 FAQs for details.

Given the quickly evolving nature of the situation, it is simply too early to suggest revised elite tier qualifications and award expiration beyond members in Asia Pacific. However, we know that adjustments will need to be made, and we are committed to communicating these as soon as we can.
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

And this is from Marriott:

We are focused on how the coronavirus is impacting our Marriott Bonvoy Members and have made some important updates to our loyalty program to provide greater flexibility when planning future travel. Specifically, we have paused points expiration until August 31, 2020 allowing Members ample time to redeem their points. In addition, we have extended the expiration of suite night awards (SNAs) with an expiration date of December 31, 2020 by one year to December 31, 2021. Lastly, Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021. We understand that earning status for 2021 may also be on your mind. As the current situation is still evolving, it is too early for us to make any changes. We will keep you updated on all loyalty program changes through our Marriott Bonvoy member benefits
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Hilton is also extending free night expiration. From email just now:
[QUOTE]For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems.[/QUOTE]

So just hyatt and ihg holding out.
Old Mar 14, 20, 1:01 pm

Had to cancel a trip I had booked using my Cat 1-7 for April Cert expires in May so Iím really hoping they extend as Hilton and Marriott have.
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:43 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I asked the same question on the CC thread, but no response so far. I am hopeful that Hyatt will follow as two of bigger chains have already led the way.

LAX
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:08 pm

In the same situation. Cat 1 - 7 promo award expiring mid-April.

-David
Old Mar 15, 20, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
People...it's the weekend. Lot of internal deliberations are likely going on at their HQ now. Have some faith in Hyatt, they will do the right (and smart) thing with this one.
dpb132, mbmd, invalyd and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
<deleted - the new FT editor really sucks for multi-quote>

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 15, 20 at 2:40 pm
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic View Post
And this is from Marriott:
Originally Posted by lmwong1977 View Post
Hilton is also extending free night expiration.
The two most popular complaints on FT:

My program isn't following someone else!
and
My program is following someone else!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: