Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nsx
When you're asleep it doesn't matter where you are. When I'm at Ventana I want to maximize my time outside the room on the grounds or nearby enjoying nature. If the weather is clear I also enjoy driving Highway 1 before dawn when it's completely empty. To spend the day in Monterey and arrive late at night seems like a waste. On the other hand, if the points cost is similar and you want to start the next day at Ventana, why not? The drive between Monterey and Big Sur should be easy at night, even if there is fog, assuming that one of the vehicles in front of you will be setting a slow pace.
I def want to maximize my time there. I was just wondering if there's enough to do for 3 nights. With 2 nights, I have one full day at Ventana, then I'll spend some time at Carmel by the Sea on the way up and do the 17 mile drive.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SP03
I def want to maximize my time there. I was just wondering if there's enough to do for 3 nights. With 2 nights, I have one full day at Ventana, then I'll spend some time at Carmel by the Sea on the way up and do the 17 mile drive.
Ventana isn't about activities or sightseeing as much as it is about relaxing and enjoying nature and quiet. You can drive to Pfeiffer State Park and to Julia Pfeiffer, each of which has a shortish walk to a waterfall. You can hike up Coast Ridge Road for miles starting at Big Sur House. But just enjoying the sun and scenery is my favorite. That and the 100-mile drive to San Simeon and back at dawn.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nsx
Ventana isn't about activities or sightseeing as much as it is about relaxing and enjoying nature and quiet. You can drive to Pfeiffer State Park and to Julia Pfeiffer, each of which has a shortish walk to a waterfall. You can hike up Coast Ridge Road for miles starting at Big Sur House. But just enjoying the sun and scenery is my favorite. That and the 100-mile drive to San Simeon and back at dawn.
Thanks! That's really helpful! I'll keep it at 2 and 2 then. Just relax and enjoy some spa and the Japanese bath house.

I assume the bath house is naked like in Japan?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SP03
I assume the bath house is naked like in Japan?
Only if you want it to be. The people I saw had swim suits on, but I wasn't there late at night.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Only if you want it to be. The people I saw had swim suits on, but I wasn't there late at night.
it's definitely a mix, even late at night.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Yet, every night I was present a bill for the booze (fine) with a giant circle in pen around "Gratuities not included on alcohol."
there was a certain dinner waitress that always circled it for me too. I was going to and did tip anyways but I thought the circling was a bit of a turn off.

the passive aggressive circling is something I’d expect at a neighborhood bar not at a 5* hotel/restaurant.

but maybe that’s just me.

I think the tipping concept makes sense, tip for things you buy extra but if it’s already included then tips are not required, but we did tip sometimes tip extra when we had very good service.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
there was a certain dinner waitress that always circled it for me too. I was going to and did tip anyways but I thought the circling was a bit of a turn off.

the passive aggressive circling is something I’d expect at a neighborhood bar not at a 5* hotel/restaurant.

but maybe that’s just me.

I think the tipping concept makes sense, tip for things you buy extra but if it’s already included then tips are not required, but we did tip sometimes tip extra when we had very good service.

Exactly- not what I would expect from a place charging $3K night.

And just to be clear, I am fully onboard with tipping for non-included items like guides, spa treatments etc. But the waitstaff is not likely to be compensated less based on the hope/premise of tips on booze as others have stated.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Exactly- not what I would expect from a place charging $3K night.

And just to be clear, I am fully onboard with tipping for non-included items like guides, spa treatments etc. But the waitstaff is not likely to be compensated less based on the hope/premise of tips on booze as others have stated.
I see both sides, so not trying to be argumentative, as customer this seems tacky and off-putting, would prefer staff works concerns with management to print and present the tipping policy with sufficient detail, selectively/manually adding a circle is off putting. That said, I get the staff member’s perceived value of emphasizing, since it could directly add money to wait staff pockets, especially with the wine list and clientele. So guess I am fine with printed note but manual circling/highlighting seems in poor taste?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:49 pm

I'm thinking about an early December trip but curious if the weather might make it a less enjoyable experience. I don't necessarily want to feel chilly whenever I'm trying to enjoy the outdoors and the grounds. Also, if I book a standard suite whats the likelihood of getting a Globalist upgrade at check in?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:06 pm

I'm going in early/mid December but we're from the Midwest so the weather I'm sure will be better than where we're coming from!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Just completed a two night stay using points and a TSU. We were upgraded to a Big Sur Spa Suite which had a partial view of the ocean. We enjoyed the food that was part of the all inclusive package, and our favorites were the lamb, sea bass (without the garlic), carrot cake, and French toast. You can now order lunch at check in and check out days as part of the all inclusive plan.

We enjoyed the on property guided hike, walking the coastal trail, and the weather was perfect in the afternoon for relaxing at the pool. Overall a great stay, and I have already booked two nights for July next year!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
The French Toast is fantastic.

The addition of lunches is wonderful.

It's time to book another stay indeed.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Southdown13
You can now order lunch at check in and check out days as part of the all inclusive plan.
How does lunch work with the 4pm check-in time and 11am check-out? Do you check-in early (before room is available) and hang out at the pool for lunch? And on check-out day, just continue to hang by the pool? We're there next week and I'm down to maximize our meals if possible. Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by ccqueenanne
How does lunch work with the 4pm check-in time and 11am check-out? Do you check-in early (before room is available) and hang out at the pool for lunch? And on check-out day, just continue to hang by the pool? We're there next week and I'm down to maximize our meals if possible. Thanks!
You can check in early, order at the pool bar to eat there or take it to go. Our room was ready early, so we had the lunch delivered to our room. We didn’t order lunch from the pool bar on check out day, so I don’t know if they allow you to hang around and order food. They offer a Hiker’s Lunch (bag lunch) which we chose on our check out day and picked it up at the Social House. You have to order the Hiker’s Lunch the night before.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:47 am

I’m dropping a base room award booking for Aug 23-27, 2021. If anyone wants this and wants to coordinate when I cancel my reservation feel free go pm me. Not sure if it will go back into inventory, but happy to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.