Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Benjh
Thanks! What about that “too big for 2” vs “cost” feeling? Were you comfortable inside the villa?

Also side question: is there a rocking couch on the villa’s deck like in the suites?
We were very comfortable in the suite. It's all on one floor so easy to move around. We like having the kitchen, even if it is just for popping popcorn. And we like the complimentary snack that is dropped off in the afternoon. The deck is double wide with a day bed and chairs at one end and the table with chairs at the other. No, there is no rocking couch.

If you choose a villa, be sure to ask for one on an upper floor. It makes a big difference in the view. If you are on a low floor, you are looking out into foliage rather than the stuning view out to the Arch.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Chiming in here. SD1K's really good previous reviews helped inform my first stay here recently. Based on those reviews, particularly the commentary about the views, I was *thisclose* to spending more money or points to get into a villa.

I want to be very clear to anyone considering any rooms at this property: there may be valid reasons to splurge on the villa (for me, that would be the full kitchen, as I love to cook on vacation, especially when I'm staying someplace for a week), but view unequivocally is NOT a reason.

Obviously me and SD1K's hubby will have to disagree on the view.

I've spent 3 weeks here over the last 6 weeks in a suite, and had the chance to check out the villa because I was curious and will inevitably end up in one at some point when I genuinely need the kitchen.

The villas are predictably stunning/incredible, but I just don't want anyone to think booking a suite vs a villa will result in an inferior view in any way whatsoever. The way the property is set up, there isn't a room type with a bad view.

Yes, there are slightly different angles with respective rooms, but this doesn't result in anything like a "partial ocean view" vs "full ocean view" situation at all.

And if anyone books a suite, request second floor. The second floor suites have significantly larger balconies than identical suites located on other floors.
SanDiego1K and Benjh like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:01 pm

Thank you travelingchef, that’s great advice! Wow, 3 weeks out of 6, that’s some serious time
Did you meet Melissa from Top Chef? I saw that she guest cooked at the hotel recently!
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Benjh
Thank you travelingchef, that’s great advice! Wow, 3 weeks out of 6, that’s some serious time
Did you meet Melissa from Top Chef? I saw that she guest cooked at the hotel recently!
I wasn't there for that unfortunately but I'm a big fan of her. I love her though!

Last edited by TravelingChef; Sep 13, 2021 at 1:55 am
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Was this property affected when Hurricane Olaf went through Cabo?

David
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an award reservation for two queens (all that was available for 25k, I prefer one king). Thompson Suites are not available, so I can't use a TSU, but Junior Suites are available for cash, but not for any kind of redemption or upgrade.

Since they appear to be a lower category than Thompson, is it worth seeing if they'll take the TSU for a Junior, or is that kind of thing not done in the program?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
I have an award reservation for two queens (all that was available for 25k, I prefer one king). Thompson Suites are not available, so I can't use a TSU, but Junior Suites are available for cash, but not for any kind of redemption or upgrade.

Since they appear to be a lower category than Thompson, is it worth seeing if they'll take the TSU for a Junior, or is that kind of thing not done in the program?
It really depends on if you'd be genuinely disappointed with the base room.

I was in this situation last week. All of my previous stays had either been TSU or paid suite.

I'd keep an eye on inventory leading up to your stay and hold off on the TSU. The junior suite category had availability every day for three weeks leading up to my stay. Four days out it disappeared. The day before check-in it was available. When I arrived it was still available on the app and they gave it to me with no fuss.

Obviously that kind of situation is purely a gamble and I won that time. Could have easily gone the other way (and I'd have been fine).

What are your dates? I've been here regularly for the last few months and Sunday through Wednesday I think you'd be safe rolling the dice. If Thursday through Saturday then I wouldn't expect you to get lucky with the Jr suite upon arrival, as I see a noticeable occupancy uptick starting on Thursdays.
Doppy likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the week of Christmas (though checking out before the holiday) so I presume they're going to fill up eventually.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
It's the week of Christmas (though checking out before the holiday) so I presume they're going to fill up eventually.
100% will be full for sure, so TSU (if they'll let you) or cash upgrade is only hope.
Doppy likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No luck on the junior suite compromise - I offered to use a certificate or pay. They said I could inquire about paying at check-in.

I found the Thompson is available for part of my stay, so I broke it up into multiple reservations and will see if any other nights open up, otherwise I'll just switch rooms
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:56 am

Does anyone know what the Globalist breakfast allows for? We are a party of four, with two children. Do the children get their own allotment?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kirk T
Does anyone know what the Globalist breakfast allows for? We are a party of four, with two children. Do the children get their own allotment?
I don't have kids but this property is very generous with the breakfast allowance and doesn't try to play any games with limiting what you can get. For me it's arguably one of the best breakfasts you'll find at a North American Hyatt property.

In my many recent stays I've never been quoted a dollar amount. In advance of the first stay I emailed asking specifically and their reply was essentially "your breakfast will be taken care of."

So my typical breakfast is I start with a chocolate banana almond milk protein smoothie, the cochinita pork and avocado sandwich, or the amazing short rib mole, a latte, and conclude with an order of the french toast for "dessert." That comes to about $60 just for me. Amazing and delicious.

I don't have kids, but don't the WoH terms include breakfast for them as a part of a Globalist stay? If so, basically the 4 of you will be able to get whatever you want.

One annoying, minor thing that happens about 50% of the time: if you order a smoothie or green juice (they're all in the $10-$12 range I think), the server will say that it's not included in the free breakfast. Which of course would likely make you change your mind about ordering it. But the servers are incorrect. When I check out, they have always wiped out all breakfast charges, including the smoothies/juices.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:48 pm

Thanks, very useful. I'll try to report back after the trip.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
So my typical breakfast is I start with a chocolate banana almond milk protein smoothie, the cochinita pork and avocado sandwich, or the amazing short rib mole, a latte, and conclude with an order of the french toast for "dessert." That comes to about $60 just for me. Amazing and delicious..
We were there in April and were not allowed to have two mains per person. We wanted the French toast as an additional dish one morning. The waiter worked it out by making it into a birthday dessert for my husband. (It was legitimately his birthday.)

I always get a fresh coconut. I drink the coconut milk and they then send a package of the coconut meat with me. They also have a great chai. We asked them how they made it. It turns out they use a chai mix from a San Francisco company. We now order it and have it at home. It is fantastic.

This is our favorite Hyatt property in North America. We're fortunate it is just 2 hours from San Diego.
TravelingChef and AWood like this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 1, 2021 at 3:28 pm
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is our favorite Hyatt property in North America. We're fortunate it is just 2 hours from San Diego.
THIS. 100% agreed. 2hrs for you. Just under 3 for me. It's by no means an under the radar property, but I quietly laugh to myself when I see the traffic other Hyatt resort threads get on FT that definitely aren't in the same league as The Cape, yet they cost the same or more.

I can understand if someone is East Coast based, or even Midwest. But anyone west coast based is definitely missing out if they opt for other places, especially on points.
SanDiego1K and AWood like this.

Last edited by TravelingChef; Oct 1, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.