Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Do you recall what dishes were offered in the 5 course dinner at Manta?
Originally Posted by Benjh
- manta: we ate there one night, booking the 5-course menu. This is a great experience, elevated take on Mexican cuisine. Not quite Michelin starred but not that far. The dining room is gorgeous. $100/per person flat, without gratuity and drinks. It’s a good deal!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Do you recall what dishes were offered in the 5 course dinner at Manta?
sorry not precisely. We have some food restrictions so it probably wasn’t the regular dishes, and I believe that’s seasonal anyway.
i can tell you it started with sashimi, and there was one great fish taco.
the full menu is on the hotel’s website from Thompson, which is a great website btw, has all menus, awesome 3D rendering of all rooms and suites, and more.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:05 pm

Did the 5 course tasting menu back in October 2021. You are free to choose any 5 courses off the menu, with a few exceptions such as the octopus dish. I went with my spouse, and we always share everything, so we had ten different dishes. The menu looks basically the same as when I went, so perhaps they do not change the menu very often (or at all). Also liked it a lot, though it is not on the level of Pujol in Mexico City (both Olvera restaurants).
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:27 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Cool Junior Suite with plunge pool > thompson suite with no plunge pool.

Posting this while im in this property, burned Cat7 FNCs here - thompson suite was not available. Instead they upgraded me to a Junior suite with plunge pool!!!

This room is probably even better than the thompson suite which doesnt come standard with the plunge pool. Globalist recognition here goes pretty damn well here.

Heres a few pics from my room. Will report more details once i check out in a few days.

Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: SIA *G, MB Tit, Hyatt Globe
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Posting this while im in this property, burned Cat7 FNCs here - thompson suite was not available. Instead they upgraded me to a Junior suite with plunge pool!!!

This room is probably even better than the thompson suite which doesnt come standard with the plunge pool. Globalist recognition here goes pretty damn well here.

Heres a few pics from my room. Will report more details once i check out in a few days.
You're lucky then that I opted out of that suite at check in today and chose the top floor Junior suite . I agree on the globalist recognition here, I've always gotten an upgrade and a nice bottle of Antoine and chocolates, although at this time of year Thompson suite availability is sparse. Also currently burning a couple FNCs here, shoot me a PM if you want to meet for a drink.

Edit: Having gone over the thread its seems most details have been covered fairly well but I saw no mention of the ongoing Sunday Funday promotion at this hotel. It includes breakfast and books off of the Deluxe room (which is more readily available than the base room) up to penthouse suites. It's a great promotion especially for non globalists. The rate is also upgradable with SNA to the Thompson suite if available. I've booked for as low as $245++ for 4-5 night stays as recently as early March, although lowest rates I've seen during the peak periods seem to in the $400s for this promotion. There's also no rhyme or reason as to how multi-night stays price out compared to the individual night rates so it's worth playing around with the dates if flexible. As mentioned it's a great place to burn FNCs during peak nights at 29k/night also.
https://www.thompsonhotels.com/hotel...s/sundayfunday

Last edited by Raybull; Apr 11, 2022 at 1:13 pm Reason: Add info
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:40 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but we're a family of 4 (kids 18 and 15) and I was planning to book a 2 queen ocean view room with points and then applying a SUA to get into a Thompson Suite. My question is will it be able to accommodate 4 people? Do they have rollaway bed as an option? Figure someone can take the couch and another the rollaway if possible. What am I missing out if I decide to just stay in the 2Q w/ OV room instead? Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Thompson suite is huge and plenty of room for an extra bed, but technically I don't think you're allowed to have more than two adults.

The extra space and half bath would be helpful for your family though, and it's also nice that you can close the doors to have some extra privacy / separation for the bedroom.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Nivek23
Sorry if this has been asked before, but we're a family of 4 (kids 18 and 15) and I was planning to book a 2 queen ocean view room with points and then applying a SUA to get into a Thompson Suite. My question is will it be able to accommodate 4 people? Do they have rollaway bed as an option? Figure someone can take the couch and another the rollaway if possible. What am I missing out if I decide to just stay in the 2Q w/ OV room instead? Thanks!
We stayed in the Thompson suite as a family of 4(younger kids 7 and 5), rollaway bed was available for a fee(I think it was $100). The design of the Thompson Suite is an open concept so when anyone is showering the rest of your family would likely need to be in the living room. Might want to check with the hotel since your kids may be considered adults.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:06 am

@Doppy, @faboi0us thanks for the info. I've already reached out to MHC for more info and options, but might be worth a shot to reach out to the hotel as well.

Anyone have a good contact # or email I should use or just what's posted on their website. I'm a globalist if that helps any.

Last edited by Nivek23; Apr 21, 2022 at 11:11 am
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:57 am

I would go for the Thompson suite. You'll have more space both in the room and on the balcony.
And don't trust anything MHC will tell you, like any hotel that's not "marriott metal", it's really managed by the hotel team and corporate will likely have no say on room repartitions. Also they won't know the room as well, or at all...
Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: WOH Glob
Originally Posted by Nivek23
Would you please update on what you find out? We are booked into the 2Q room for a week in February, kids are teens...wondering the same thing. We could use the extra space but can't book into that room with our numbers.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:00 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The rooms up to the junior suites are very open, with only a relatively sheer curtain available to separate the bed(s) portion of the room from the bath, shower, and sinks in the bath portion. A suite is imperative if your family members value any kind of privacy.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:06 pm

@TIVAgal So here's what I did. I booked the 2 Queen and then called the Globalist line to apply my SUA to get the Thompson Suite. At first the agent wasn't able to find the Thompson availability because he had us down as 4. I told him to try 2 and then he was able to book us. He didn't seem concerned either (but that could be little comfort if it becomes an issue at check-in)

From a few email exchange that I had with the resort, they didn't seem to have a problem with 4 people staying in the Thompson Suite. I brought up the subject of getting a rollaway (they quoted me $50 btw) and having the 4th person sleep on the couch and they seemed fined with it. They didn't say anything to the affect that it was against resort policy so I think our chances are good. I have a stay coming up on June 27-30 2022 so can update after as well.

Here's the actual email exchange. Let me know if maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly:

Dear Kevin, Thank you for your reply. The Thompson suite, has capacity for 2 adults if we add a rollaway we could add a 3rd guest although for the 4th adult it is the sofa but I do not think it will be than comfortable. If you would like to add rollaway bed on any of the rooms this will be with an additional cost of 50 USD per night plus tax plus service.
Please let mi know what room category would you like to book..

Kind regards,

LIVIER ROJAS
RESERVATIONS AGENT

Last edited by Nivek23; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Does anyone have any information on cabana rentals at this property? Looks like there's plenty of seating around the pool, but sometimes it's just easier to have guaranteed seating out of the sun as we like to spend our day in the pool.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:47 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kevinjm
Does anyone have any information on cabana rentals at this property? Looks like there's plenty of seating around the pool, but sometimes it's just easier to have guaranteed seating out of the sun as we like to spend our day in the pool.
We were charged $250/day for a cabana this past week. This included the cabana and 4 reserved lounges just in front of the cabana.

If the hotel is fully occupied, there is definitely not enough seating. People are staking out their spots starting around 7am and there was nothing available after 9:30 or so. While the property says seating can't be reserved, there's no enforcement of this, except for the lounges in front of the cabanas.

Note that the pool is a major party scene, with cocktails flowing freely by 9am, loud EDM starting at 1pm, and people falling down drunk by mid-afternoon.

Other posts have noted this, but IMHO, this is not a property for older pre-teens or teenagers. The vast majority of guests appeared to be in their mid-late 20s to early 40s, and were there having a "good time". A very few had infants and/or toddlers with them. There were a handful of older children, but there's not much for them to do here. The beach is small and almost un-swimmable. The property itself is a ways from anything else and is a poor base for doing things in and around Cabo. Ubers, which weren't particularly reliable, or taxis are required to go anywhere.
kevinjm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.