Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mecheallekruger
I just found a 50k “Premium Suite Free Night”… could this be the penthouse or is a villa considered premium?
It's not the 3 bedroom penthouse that had the mistake points availability early 2021. It is in the same building as those, but it's a one bedroom. It DOES however include cocktail happy hour at the bar (I think you just get one drink), but does not include VIP pickup and dropoff at the airport IIRC.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:24 pm

Good to know!
Surprising that only 3 floors are enough to soften music and bass from a club-like rooftop but I’ll take it! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Daftryan
We were on the third floor and could not hear the rooftop music. That said, I actually slept better in the junior suite on our last night which is one tower over and not under the rooftop bar. I don't think it was because of music or anything, but more just my body takes time to get accustomed to a hotel bed.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:25 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays here that occurred over a weekend (Friday - Sunday)? The club/bar music seems to be nuisance during these days if there are more people.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Any recent stays here that occurred over a weekend (Friday - Sunday)? The club/bar music seems to be nuisance during these days if there are more people.
We were there this past week staying in the Thompson Suite on the top floor (floor 5). Saturday was the loudest and latest music. However we still slept with the doors on the balcony wide open the whole night. It was noticeable, but still not too bad in our opinion. The waves crashing were probably louder on every other night of the week.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:28 pm

Anyone know how easy it is to get upgraded to a junior or standard suite? Debating booking the suite with points directly vs. the base room and hoping for an upgrade for a weekday stay in March.

Last edited by untrueparadox; Feb 18, 2022 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Stayed here this week in a Thompson Suite, TSU applied but no further upgrade. My first stay at a Thompson property and had a decent experience. As others have stated waiters at the ledge will inform you of an uncharge for Smoothies/Juices even as a Globalist. I even had to sign a separate check but everything was removed from our folio at checkout.

Service was great at the pool and in the restaurants. My check in experience was somewhat awkward. They didn't direct us to the elevators or tell us if breakfast via room service was included for Globalists. Also when we got to the room the keys weren't programmed...I also requested for late check out(1pm) and was denied, that was fairly dissapointing. I do understand it is subject to availability but the front desk agent mentioned this was a "Resort" property and late checkout is not a perk...

Overall a great stay but I may opt for the Park Hyatt Cabo San Lucas property once that opens up.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:29 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Globalist Sunday Brunch benefit?

Any globalists stay here on a sunday? Was there any limitations to use your breakfast benefit during theit sunday brunch hours? Apparently its a different menu!
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just had a globalist breakfast for two this past Sunday at The Ledge, I did not notice a different Sunday brunch menu. Ordered the octopus chilaquiles, lobster benedict, 2 juices and 2 coffees, and it was all waived
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:48 pm

Louisc clearly didn't understand the question.

The Sunday brunch buffet is not included in the globalist benefit. You are allowed to order off the a la carte menu, which is the same as it is everyday, but the buffet is about $70 a person. I didn't try it (actually didn't even know about it until it was too late), but it looked extravagant, delicious, and worth trying next time.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, AC 25K, UA Silver
The Sunday brunch for a Globalist is about $42 per person, otherwise $70 as mentioned above.

Does anyone know if this property allows for 4pm late checkout as a Globalist or is it considered a resort? Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by bpatient
The Sunday brunch for a Globalist is about $42 per person, otherwise $70 as mentioned above.

Does anyone know if this property allows for 4pm late checkout as a Globalist or is it considered a resort? Thanks
I was granted a 4pm checkout last June without issue.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by untrueparadox
Anyone know how easy it is to get upgraded to a junior or standard suite? Debating booking the suite with points directly vs. the base room and hoping for an upgrade for a weekday stay in March.
Only way to guess at this is to see what availability looks like on the website. I think in March you're going to be dealing with spring break families, plus those still looking to escape the cold in the US, so I would imagine the hotel will be busy.

Note there are only five "standard" suites (Thompson suites) per the definitions of the program. Not sure how may junior suites there are - maybe five or ten? So it's not a ton of inventory you're working with.

Originally Posted by bpatient
"Resort" and on availability. I asked for 1pm and was refused; they barely gave me 12:30. I get it - if they need the room, they need time to turn it; on the other hand, it doesn't take three hours to turn a room, so you can solve this with some planning. On the third hand, I was annoyed when I arrived because my room wasn't ready until 4pm.

I actually wouldn't have minded so much if they immediately responded with a, "have a drink at the bar on us," which is customary at a high end property. As opposed to, "please enjoy the 85 degree weather and full sun standing around the lobby for an hour in those winter clothes you were wearing on the plane while we hold your bags that the bellhop demanded to take from your taxi behind the desk."
FlyHappy33 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Only way to guess at this is to see what availability looks like on the website. I think in March you're going to be dealing with spring break families, plus those still looking to escape the cold in the US, so I would imagine the hotel will be busy.

Note there are only five "standard" suites (Thompson suites) per the definitions of the program. Not sure how may junior suites there are - maybe five or ten? So it's not a ton of inventory you're working with.

"Resort" and on availability. I asked for 1pm and was refused; they barely gave me 12:30. I get it - if they need the room, they need time to turn it; on the other hand, it doesn't take three hours to turn a room, so you can solve this with some planning. On the third hand, I was annoyed when I arrived because my room wasn't ready until 4pm.

I actually wouldn't have minded so much if they immediately responded with a, "have a drink at the bar on us," which is customary at a high end property. As opposed to, "please enjoy the 85 degree weather and full sun standing around the lobby for an hour in those winter clothes you were wearing on the plane while we hold your bags that the bellhop demanded to take from your taxi behind the desk."
I had a similar experience as far as waiting around for a room in the sweltering heat past check in time. Zero warmth or hospitality from the front desk staff. We werent offered water, let alone a cocktail.
Sounds like I was lucky to be granted a 4pm checkout.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyHappy33
I had a similar experience as far as waiting around for a room in the sweltering heat past check in time. Zero warmth or hospitality from the front desk staff. We werent offered water, let alone a cocktail.
Sounds like I was lucky to be granted a 4pm checkout.
As is my customary practice when nothing is offered in these situations, I suggested the they buy us a welcome drink, and it was granted grudgingly. Honestly it costs them pennies to do something like this and makes all the difference.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:00 pm

Back from The Cape

I’m currently in a taxi to the airport after 4 wonderful nights at The Cape.
I want to thank everyone of the members who contributed to this thread for helping make this stay unforgettable. Your advice helped tremendously.
In that same spirit, I would like not to post a full review, as there’s plenty of great info on this page already, but to give the answers to the few things I was still wondering about before making the trip.

The hotel is incredibly beautiful, with a serene vibe, beautiful views, friendly staff. Pictures don’t do it justice. It’s one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at. This hotel feels small even though it’s quite big. Lots of places to eat, hang out, sunbathe. Most importantly, it has a distinct character, personality.

My biggest question was the choice between a Thompson Suite, in the hotel main building, and a 1-bedroom villa, in the “exclusive” building.
I ended up picking the suite and I am so so so happy I did.

This suite is one of the best hotel room I’ve ever been in. The decor, the layout, the finishing touches, everything is spot on. I could have stayed forever. The bed is super comfy, although on the soft side. I liked it but some might not. The bathroom with their signature coper bathtub are just stunning.

The Thompson suites are all on top of each other, 5 of them numbered 110/210/310/410/510.

They are not directly below the rooftop as suggested earlier in the thread, and I doubt even 510 gets noise from the rooftop. Sound isolation throughout the hotel seemed very solid by the way.

The balcony is to die for. We had a swinging couch/sofa (I believe 90% of the rooms and suite have one) where we could watch whales, the sunset and el arco from. There is also a small table with 2 chairs (if you order room service) and 2 loungy chairs. We only used the swinging couch!
Thompson suite balconies are twice the length of regular rooms. The rooms have the couch and a table.

The way the hotel is designed, floor 1 and 2 have balconies twice as deep as floors 3, 4 and 5 (main building only). Meaning a Thompson suite on floor 2 has 4 times the space a regular room has. IMHO these are almost too big. The sofa is in the back of the balcony, meaning you don’t get a direct view of the ocean and el arco. Pros are you get more shade because of a small awning overhanging. Also note on those deeper balconies you get a bit less privacy because you can peek at your neighbors (you have to do it on purpose though, not actually a concern).

In the end, those balconies, big and small, make the hotel, IMO. You’re looking directly at the ocean. It’s almost as if you’re on a cruise ship.

And that’s partly why I didn’t like the 1-bd villa. Because of availability when I made my reservation back on July, I had to move on my last night. All Thompson suites had been booked on that night for a wedding, and there was nothing I or the hotel staff could do (they tried).
When entering the villa we were immediately dissapointed (first world problem here, very much so). Like most “villas”, it has a rental feel. It’s perfect for long stay when you want to cook and entertain people, but it doesn’t feel as cosy and cute as the rooms and suites. The furniture isn’t as good, the finishing touches are missing. The bathroom is actually smaller because so much space is devoted to the living room and kitchen. The balcony is huge, but the feel couldn’t be more different from the suites. Because of this building’s position, you’re not directly looking at the ocean. You can see the pool and part of the hotel grounds in the foreground. Another building (where the residences are), is right there, very imposing. Behind is the ocean and el arco, so it’s in no way a « partial ocean view », but still.

I want to stress this is my personal opinion. I know a lot of people like the villas more (SanDiego1K, for one). I don’t mean to say rooms and suites are better than villas as a matter of fact. If you like bigger, if you like a kitchen, or a washer/dryer, go for the villa. But if you like “hotel”, “cosy”, “intimate”, “boutique” go for the suites.

Villas also come with amenities such as a personal concierge (the main concierges were always available without a wait, so I didn’t see the point), free breakfast and happy hour drinks and snacks. But that’s not enough to justify the extra spend, all other things being equal.

So, we asked the front desk if they could move us back to the main building, even to a regular room. After consulting a manager and working on her computer, the very friendly person I was taking to told me that because I spent so many points (50k for that night), she wouldn’t move me to a regular room but to a junior suite, and that I could keep all the extra amenities, including free breakfast. I want to stress that I didn’t ask for a refund of the extra point at any time, as moving back was my personal choice. It didn’t feel right.

Concerning free breakfast, I can confirm it was entirely taken care of. Even the premium drinks, presented on a different check by the breakfast staff as not included, were missing from the final bill. Only the extra gratuity showed up.

The junior suite isn’t quite as great as the Thompson but it’s very close. There’s no living room, and the bed is directly facing the ocean. It’s a fantastic room, I would have been happy to spend my entire stay there.
In fact I suspect I would have been happy in a regular room. It has the balcony with swinging couch, the great bathroom, the view. If you can only get/afford a regular room, don’t be frustrated! They’re awesome!

The other big concern I had prior to travelling was my fear that the hotel was a party scene. For the first 3 nights this was a complete non-problem. The hotel seemed to be packed with spring breakers… 15 years later. With a job, money and a loved one, only their college cap was reminiscent of their rowdier days The rooftop was the lone exception, blasting loud music one night, and two tables were partying loudly. We left for the sunken bar and were very happy there. The hotel is big enough that you can find your happy place no matter what.

On the last day the wedding party arrived and things changed a bit. It felt like the mood had shifted. Loud people, bigger parties. We left that day but I can imagine it being bothersome if you’re looking for a silent retreat. And this is a big wedding hotel. One every week-end at the least from what I was told. Don’t go during a week end if that’s your fear.

I also want to mention I exchanged emails with the general manager before hand (I found out we went to the same school). He was gracious, tried to help with the last night situation but couldn’t help ahead of time. We had a personal handwritten note on our suite when we arrived, along with some Prosecco and candies to mark our wedding anniversary. When we ate at Manta he had two flutes of champagne sent over. We didn’t actually meet him and I didn’t feel like I was treated any differently than another guest, except for these kind gestures.

This is already long: so here are some quick points of what we liked and disliked:

Disliked:
- the orange juice at breakfast. We were told it’s freshly squeezed early to save time (3am) but I doubt it. It’s watery and tasteless. No pulp. That’s a pretty big miss for a hotel with such good food and fresh fruits. The staff was so nice, they made us a « fresh » one after a bit of friendly discussion. This was night and day. Even the color was different. Our waiter, Luis, couldn’t believe it, and told us he would check to see where the regular OJ goes « wrong ».
- the occasional, intermittent party scene.
- not a problem from the hotel, but Uber we’re a pain to order. Usually a 15-min wait, with many cancellations. Looks like Ubers are tolerated but not quite legal. There was some kind of demonstration in town about this. I expect things might change soon.
- front desk staff not as great as rest of the staff. Not sure why. They weren’t rude either, definitely not like some of you experienced.

Loved:
- The staff, not just friendly but curious, genuine, patient. We had conversations about the culture, the food. Issues were not just taken care of but comprehended with a listening ear. This only comes from great management.
- The architecture. Lots of concrete, monumental style. Somehow it works. It’s stunning.
- Breakfast. The French toast is the best I’ve ever had. Their pastries are better than most French boulangeries (born and raised in Paris here).
- the « other » swimming pool, on the middle of natural rocks. It was always empty. I was able to swim laps there everyday by myself, pausing only to watch some whales. My own private pool and happy place!
- the food. Top notch, tasty, fresh.
- manta: we ate there one night, booking the 5-course menu. This is a great experience, elevated take on Mexican cuisine. Not quite Michelin starred but not that far. The dining room is gorgeous. $100/per person flat, without gratuity and drinks. It’s a good deal!
- Did I mention the balconies?

I would come back to the Cape in a heartbeat. Please don’t hesitate to ask or PM me if you’d like to know more about this or that. Here are some pictures (all mine and my wife’s!).

French toast

Rock pool

Junior suite interior

Junior suite balcony, 2nd floor (regular width, double depth)

Thompson suite balcony (part of)

Thompson suite

Thompson suite bathroom from walk-in closet

Thompson suite balcony

Thompson suite bathroom

Thompson suite balcony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.