Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Well I made a two week booking here from the 14th May when Greece is set to open up again.

Reading the reviews here I'm a bit shocked...
What's the shocking part? Seriously. I'd like to help, maybe not allay your fears if you are unhappy that it isn't in the center of the tourist scene. (That's why I favor it.) My bias aside, i don't think the reviews here are, on-balance, incorrect or unfair. Perhaps you can rebook.

It is (typically) inexpensive for a reason; ain't everyone's ideal.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Here now for the "grand reopening" of Greece for USA folks. Like comments above note, it's...not exactly what I was expecting for a Grand Hyatt. Booked Parthenon Ste for $349, asked for Globalist room upgrade pre-checkin and upon checkin, in spite of wide open availability, declined. Don't recall the last time I was ever declined an upgrade of some sort, so yes, disappointed. In fact I'll be hitting 100 Hyatt stay nights for this year while here, so that's that. Site says coffee making setup and hot water pot supposed to be in room but nothing here. Fridge empty (no snacks or drinks). No shelf of any kind in walk-in shower, bottles sitting on floor. Where the heck am I supposed to put my razor? I don't remember anything like that at any hotel I have ever stayed at. Weird.

Upon arrival it looked like a tour bus had dropped off a couple hundred people, all milling around the front. Difficult in fact for our driver to enter for all the people blocking drive. Turned out it was some sort of English language testing going on here, no idea what that's all about. Lobby was clear so at least that was controlled.

I'll update this post upon checkout with b'fast and dinner experiences.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Here now for the "grand reopening" of Greece for USA folks. Like comments above note, it's...not exactly what I was expecting for a Grand Hyatt. Booked Parthenon Ste for $349, asked for Globalist room upgrade pre-checkin and upon checkin, in spite of wide open availability, declined. Don't recall the last time I was ever declined an upgrade of some sort, so yes, disappointed. In fact I'll be hitting 100 Hyatt stay nights for this year while here, so that's that. Site says coffee making setup and hot water pot supposed to be in room but nothing here. Fridge empty (no snacks or drinks). No shelf of any kind in walk-in shower, bottles sitting on floor. Where the heck am I supposed to put my razor? I don't remember anything like that at any hotel I have ever stayed at. Weird.

Upon arrival it looked like a tour bus had dropped off a couple hundred people, all milling around the front. Difficult in fact for our driver to enter for all the people blocking drive. Turned out it was some sort of English language testing going on here, no idea what that's all about. Lobby was clear so at least that was controlled.

There is still a construction site next door?
Never been there but I'm booked for end of this week and the more reviews I read the more I wonder if this is Grand Hyatt.
Waiting for your feedback regarding breakfast & F&B.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
There is still a construction site next door?
Never been there but I'm booked for end of this week and the more reviews I read the more I wonder if this is Grand Hyatt.
Waiting for your feedback regarding breakfast & F&B.
Yes, ha, I noticed it as driver turned onto the frontage road. Its blocked from view by a wood wall (plywood or something) with a coating of what seems to be ubiquitous in Greece- graffiti. Not anything that's affecting our stay, can't see from room.

Just ordered room service, I'll update after eating.

Also was advised coffee making stuff and hot water pot removed from room due to Greek covid laws I guess a lot of people died from making coffee and hot water for tea.

I will say the people are all very nice, so there is another datapoint.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Yes, ha, I noticed it as driver turned onto the frontage road. Its blocked from view by a wood wall (plywood or something) with a coating of what seems to be ubiquitous in Greece- graffiti. Not anything that's affecting our stay, can't see from room.

Just ordered room service, I'll update after eating.

Also was advised coffee making stuff and hot water pot removed from room due to Greek covid laws I guess a lot of people died from making coffee and hot water for tea.

I will say the people are all very nice, so there is another datapoint.
For Nespresso they used to charge 3 euros per capsule even in suites, even for globalists )) anyway I have separated bookings, if not ok I cancel the second part of the stay.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium

Why didn't you ask them to call Corporate?

I'm thankful I cancelled my reservation here, seems a total mess. I got a lovely Airbnb just off the central square instead of down the highway where this Hyatt is.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Why didn't you ask them to call Corporate?
I sent an email to my concierge, let's see if anything comes from that.

Further Updates:
Room service last night crazy expensive, think soup of the day 15 euros. Club sandwich 19 euros, plus service charges. The sandwich was ok at best. Wife had "pork fillet" at 28 euros which I thought was tasty, but not 28 euros tasty. Chocolate souffle (pathetic offering you could buy at the grocery store for $3) was 15 euros. We were told at check-in due to lounge being closed there was a 20 euro per day credit on room service but not in-restaurant dining. We asked room service delivery person why credit was not applied to ticket, they replied credit was only for in-restaurant dining, the exact opposite of what was told to us at check-in. They advised they would apply the credit anyhow. Upon picking up the plating later on they advised credit could be used in restaurant or room service, so definitely a "fluid" credit usage policy (being charitable)

Breakfast was buffet style, self-service, where you were asked to get plastic gloves on to serve yourself. Because we all know covid loves to transmit via buffet. In all fairness, that is probably another idiotic Greek rule as opposed to a Grand Hyatt rule. Nothing looks as moronic as people helping themselves to a buffet while wearing blue plastic gloves.

An a la carte breakfast menu was asked for by me, and provided. We ordered the Eggs Benedict with was noted as having prosciutto and black truffle. It was served with no prosciutto or truffles, along with an immediately delivered bill for $10 per person for the benedicts. We are Globalists, and rather than fight the waitress I'll take the charge up at the checkout desk and will follow-up to report result. I sent it back after spending the time and effort to point out in detail to the waitperson how the item was described on the menu and that this was not it. 15 minutes later it was re-served with a wafer thin quarter sized slice of prosciutto and some fried mushrooms (not truffles) on the top.

I called over to the Hilton this morning to ask if they had in-room coffee machinery and supplies and was advised no, however, upon my request they would make that happen (the correct reply), as well as guarantee up-front and immediately assign and block the room upgrade (booked base suite -> to a much upgraded suite) to my points booking with them. I did the booking subject to cancellation on how things develop. It's a sad, sad day when Hilton outperforms a Grand Hyatt. Let's see what happens at checkout tomorrow AM and if they will remove the breakfast charge and block the upgrade for my return this weekend, or give excuses why they "can't".
Old May 17, 2021, 3:29 am

Seems accountants rule at this Grand Hyatt....
Old May 17, 2021, 3:52 am

Will be there this week end ) Coffee if you want and are there.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
Will be there this week end ) Coffee if you want and are there.
Absolutely, sounds great! Great to chat up a fellow nomad Let's see how things shake out here and if ok I'll message you here. We are going to give late lunch/early dinner a try in the restaurant later today.

Acropolis, approx 20 minute ride from Hyatt, was great, a few folks there but our guide said like 5% of precovid (none of the cruise ships back yet).
Old May 17, 2021, 6:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I get the initial experiment of staying at the Hyatt and seeing what develops, but in a city as vibrant as Athens with some amazing hotels and even more amazing restaurants, why would you continue to stay here? Clearly the Hyatt is failing. No one should have to take a 20 minute taxi ride to the acropolis.....when there are some brilliant places to stay within walking distance. Eating a main meal at the Hyatt? Wasted opportunity.
SPLP007 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by david55
Clearly the Hyatt is failing.
No, it's not. This hotel has/had lots of business from group tours, to the extend that its owner bought the cinema complex next door and demolished it to build a new hotel wing and increase room count to 550.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:21 am

I attached the in-restaurant menu below for those who care. The good news is late lunch/dinner in the restaurant was very good. Service was excellent. We had the Shrimps Wrapped, Ceviche, Angus burger and Crispy Chicken. I asked for grilled veg in lieu of fries with my burger and they were perfectly grilled and seasoned which for some reason is a hard thing for most restaurants. Everything had unique flavors which we also appreciated given we eat out so much. Based on our experience I would urge not to order room service and just head up to the restaurant. Peter the gentleman who checked us in came up as we were asking for the dinner bill to further explain the closed-lounge Globalist credit and reiterate it was applied correctly yesterday and also tonight in spite of the initial confusion. I also brought up the breakfast situation this AM. I appreciated his personal attention, that kind of thing goes a long way to putting me in a charitable mood.

So, overall it's a bit of a mixed bag- after all the covid theatre ends, that will presumably fix some of the issues (no in-room coffee or tea pot, no pillows on couch, no flowers in vase, no stocked mini-bar, wearing of giant blue plastic gloves for breakfast). I can't fault service or attitudes which I found to be very good. Housekeeping also was good. Fix the Globalist upgrade situation and install some small shelves in the shower and it would be a choice for those who are otherwise Hyatt loyalists.

Old May 17, 2021, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On the salad menu, bacon powder on a chicken caesar salad sounds scary. I hope this is a mistranslation for bacon bits.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:32 pm

Staying here for 4 nights in July (despite the mediocre at best reviews). Using a Suite Upgrade and got the room for €102/night. €20/day plus breakfast as a Globalist instead of a lounge works for me.

Is the only real way to get to the Acropolis from the hotel by taxi/Uber? Bus/tram/subway doesn't connect conveniently, is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.