Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
We stayed last month in a suite which was extremely well-appointed and huge but there was a foul smell (as noted on TripAdvisor the construction next door is causing plumbing issues—very odd but staff confirmed this). Staff were all excellent but the breakfast was inedible and it IS a zoo up there, at least during the summer. Coupled with the less than optimal location for downtown we wouldn’t stay again.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 5:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by janehoya
We stayed last month in a suite which was extremely well-appointed and huge but there was a foul smell (as noted on TripAdvisor the construction next door is causing plumbing issues—very odd but staff confirmed this). Staff were all excellent but the breakfast was inedible and it IS a zoo up there, at least during the summer. Coupled with the less than optimal location for downtown we wouldn’t stay again.
As I mentioned up thread the location sucks for most of the tourist sites of Athens. The only people staying I would think would be cruise passengers who tour by bus anyway, conventions, or independent travelers trying to burn points.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Breakfast only at the restaurant. Restaurant has 100x more offerings than grand club! Use uber - 30 mins to the airport! or walk, like I did to/from the Parthenon
How long is the walk?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
How long is the walk?
It's a hike to the Parthenon. I would say a good 30 minutes +. Don't quite remember exactly since it has been a few years but honestly, we really only walked to the center once or twice because despite the claims that it is a brief jaunt, it is long enough to get old quick. Although, EVERY cab ride requiring constant vigilance against scams and overcharging gets really old quick also, so dealer's choice I guess.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:58 pm

Here now and was upgraded to a "Junior Suite" (as Explorist) in the NEW building. Yes, all that construction was an expansion of the hotel. I was told it opened to visitors Sept 1.

Room is fine and clean (I'm probably visitor <6). Overlooks the busy street but high enough up (floor 7 of 8) that it's not an issue. Many of the new rooms are on the side street though.

Check in was a circus. When I walked in I was astounded by the number of people waiting to check in (and their ungodly attire - my mother would be horrified. When did "gym appropriate" (and this is even a stretch) become "everywhere appropriate"?). I scanned the room to try to find an authoritative looking face. Found one and asked if there was an Explorist/Globalist check-in and he whisked me away...to the complete annoyance of the guy in front of me who was a Guest of Honor. He followed my lead though.

From pictures, the new rooms are clones of the old. So far very functional but not exciting. The "junior suite" moniker is a hoot. It's an executive room with a small settee instead of a chair.

The roof seems to be where they're going to make a splash (pun intended). The small pool up there next to the rooftop restaurant is still all the rage. Don't plan on bringing your family here and getting chairs. It's all bronzed pool skanks who park there all day long. No chance of cutting in.

But there is development on the top of the "new" building that will add another pool and some cabana structures. Won't debut this season, based on construction progress but next year for sure.

I walked over to the Acropolis and the Plaka - took about half an hour. Wasn't hard. If you like to walk, it's no big deal.

Had dinner upstairs at the rooftop restaurant. The menu was a bit odd. Lots of things that *almost* sounded good. As a low carb eater, it was tricky to find anything to order. Ended up with a ball of burrata on tomatoes and other veggies and it was delicious. The "new" rooms seem to be causing an issue in the POS system and they couldn't seem to get my check to register, but they comped me a glass of rose and I went away pleased as punch.

The roof views are nice for sure. Not as nice as the GB or others nearer the Plaka but I don't think it tilts the scale. Not loving the group tour/convention vibe (mostly because the group that's here is very "in your face" and all about themselves) but the hotel is solid. I'll be back in a week and a half and jury's still out whether I'll Bonvoy closer to the Plaka or stay here.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:25 pm

My guess, and I think I mentioned this upthread, is the hotel is probably catering to mid-tier cruise ship passengers before or after their cruise who are moved around by bus and don't need to walk to the sites. From your description of your fellow hotel guests, it doesn't sound like I was that far off.
janehoya likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:33 am

Any thoughts on this hotel vs. the IC?

I'm planning an off-season stay that's leisure for the most part (except for one quick meet for "networking" purposes).
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ffgap
Any thoughts on this hotel vs. the IC?

I'm planning an off-season stay that's leisure for the most part (except for one quick meet for "networking" purposes).
similar question for a stay in early April or any other recommendation instead
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
similar question for a stay in early April or any other recommendation instead
Reading the thread will probably give you your answer as well as some recommendations. To summarize.... If you are coming to Athens for sightseeing and leisure....this is not the hotel. Bad neighborhood, far walk to sights with the alternative of cab or uber in a city that is really made for walking.
janehoya likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
I think depending on your itinerary. In our case, we rented a car so we visited Delphi and Peloponnese for 2 days and taxi to ferry for a neighbor island. 2 days are enough to see the key sights in Athens and each taxi/uber ride was 7~10 Euro. There were 4 of us so we decided to take the taxi direct to our sightseeing spot instead of walking to the subway. We did made a mistake of getting into a taxi already in taxi line and had an "extended" city tour for 17 Euro to get back to the hotel.

Price was right, had suite upgrades to burn, excellent breakfast buffet and an odd lounge next to the bar that provided limited food. As a tourist and our first trip here a year ago, not sure if I would consider this as a bad neighborhood. My teenager got hungry so we walked behind the hotel towards restaurants in the residential area, never felt unsafe even at midnight (jet-lag). We were glad that we didn't stay at A77 which will required some walking to the hotel and parking logistic would be a nightmare.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Any recent stays here? I understand the location is less than ideal, but any feedback on the property itself? Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Seems like hotel has blocked off entire summer for points redemption with only "deluxe" rooms available.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Mariott Ambassador, Emirates Platinum, Lufthansa Senator
Anyone recently stayed there / with insights on their renovation? Some rooms & suites appear to have plunge pool now? Read a report about a lounge? Thanks!!
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by german_traveller_2
Anyone recently stayed there / with insights on their renovation? Some rooms & suites appear to have plunge pool now? Read a report about a lounge? Thanks!!
I haven't stayed here, but I do believe they have a lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Mariott Ambassador, Emirates Platinum, Lufthansa Senator
Just stayed there recently. Nice lounge actually! Nice light snacks all day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.