Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by david55
location... location. ...location
Agree. There are some okay neighborhoods, tree-lined streets within a short walk, but even the Metro is some distance. Mostly bus service here.

Also, limited services for a GH. One retaurant, the lobby bar, a humble gym, maybe a spa someday. The end.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Nov 14, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

When there are so many good ( even excellent) hotels in the heart of the Plaka and neighboring the ancient ruins of Athens....why would you stay in any other area? Even loyalty to a brand doesn't make sense here. There is a reason why the hotel that the Hyatt took over failed..... there is just too much compelling competition.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by david55
When there are so many good ( even excellent) hotels in the heart of the Plaka and neighboring the ancient ruins of Athens....why would you stay in any other area? Even loyalty to a brand doesn't make sense here. There is a reason why the hotel that the Hyatt took over failed..... there is just too much compelling competition.
Because I am here to work, not to be a tourist. This hotel is convenient to my office and under my employer's hotel rate limit.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Because I am here to work, not to be a tourist. This hotel is convenient to my office and under my employer's hotel rate limit.
Got it.... I think only as tourist.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HAT
On a positive note, Suite Upgrade Voucher gets you a Grand Executive Terrace Suite with a chance to get a further upgrade to Parthenon Suite on the check in.
Grand Suite King is the TSU suite here per Hyatt and per previous posters...however, I just applied a TSU and it now shows "Grand Executive Acropolis View Suite with 1 King Bed," so I would be super happy about that.

Going to give this place a shot next year when I go to Athens. Thought about the new SLH option..the Theoxenia, but decided against it given the distance out of the center and other reviews.

Last edited by antonius66; Dec 9, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:00 am

Over my week there, I came to prefer the location to being "in the center". Fifteen minutes of Syntagma, ten of Plaka, five of Monastiraki.... Nearer the hotel, nice tree-lined areas along Falirou or Dimitrakopolux or between the hotel and Dafni were more appealing. (I don't shop.)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Has anyone been able to use points here? Website and app have nothing available ever with points. I’m going to try calling.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Has anyone been able to use points here? Website and app have nothing available ever with points. I’m going to try calling.
Yes, I had used points...sort of.

My three-night stay was back in Oct, and I had booked using points a good six months ahead. I was even able to apply a TSU to the reservation. Then, a couple of weeks prior to my stay, I saw that the cash rates had plummeted to about EUR 130/night (or thereabouts), so I cancelled my points reservation and booked cash instead. However, I was not able to apply the TSU since suites were no longer showing as available.

Upon check-in, I still got the upgrade to the Acropolis view suite. Thus, even saved me from using my TSU!
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Does anyone have a contact email? I have a complex reservation I’m trying to make and I’m hoping to email someone at the property to assist.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:08 am

I am back, seven months on. The "Club" or "Lounge" situation is still a bit confusing to me. Behind the bar, in the afternoon and evening "snacks" are available. Some drinks too. (I don't know about alcohol. Maybe I will find out tomorrow.) Evening offerings today were all room temp, but looked nice: mini pizza things, little crostinis, shrimps in martini (?) glasses with quinoa (?), cakes, tarts, cut melon, bread. (Sorry I'm vague on some of this; its almost all outside my diet.)

The room doors still strike me (figuratively, so far) as massive. The lower ground level, where the fitness center is, still smells of smoke. And I'm still liking the neighborhood. Grocery store three blocks plus a €108 room rate, and I'm almost within per diem.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I stayed here about 2 weeks ago as an Explorist with a Club level award (CLA?) redeemed on a paid stay. Only reason I chose this is because the Marriott hotels (Grand Bretagne and King George) were not available on points (and are outrageously priced) for 2 of our nights in Athens and a paid rate of €116 was hard to pass up on. The first expression my wife had was "this does not look like a Grand Hyatt." While the hotel and rooms are nicely renovated, they just don't have a Grand feeling. At check-in, the two people engaged with me could not confirm if I had lounge access and how it worked. When I protested on my use of the Club Level award, the manager came in and engaged. This is what I determined... all Explorist and Globalist receive access to the lounge (which is on the Ground floor and open 6-8 PM and includes any type of base alcohol. The lounge does not serve breakfast and is not included with this perk. Since I had redeemed a CLA, the manager comped us breakfast in the lounge and was reflected in the room manifest at the restaurant each morning. The bathroom isn't thought through fully and they've opted for design over functionality. The shower isn't fully enclosed and due to poor drainage, floods the bathroom if you have a longish shower. The soaps were some Greek brand (Olive something) and both my wife and I rather liked them. I don't believe we received any sort of upgrade on the room.

For the price I paid, the hotel is fine and I am satisfied. But I would look elsewhere if the rate is €180 or more as there is better value to be had in Athens. I don't think the location is too bad; its less than a €6 (most cases ~€4) ride to the historic part and Uber Taxi works perfectly if you don't want to deal with currency.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by zakami
I stayed here about 2 weeks ago as an Explorist with a Club level award (CLA?) redeemed on a paid stay. Only reason I chose this is because the Marriott hotels (Grand Bretagne and King George) were not available on points (and are outrageously priced) for 2 of our nights in Athens and a paid rate of €116 was hard to pass up on. The first expression my wife had was "this does not look like a Grand Hyatt." While the hotel and rooms are nicely renovated, they just don't have a Grand feeling. At check-in, the two people engaged with me could not confirm if I had lounge access and how it worked. When I protested on my use of the Club Level award, the manager came in and engaged. This is what I determined... all Explorist and Globalist receive access to the lounge (which is on the Ground floor and open 6-8 PM and includes any type of base alcohol. The lounge does not serve breakfast and is not included with this perk. Since I had redeemed a CLA, the manager comped us breakfast in the lounge and was reflected in the room manifest at the restaurant each morning. The bathroom isn't thought through fully and they've opted for design over functionality. The shower isn't fully enclosed and due to poor drainage, floods the bathroom if you have a longish shower. The soaps were some Greek brand (Olive something) and both my wife and I rather liked them. I don't believe we received any sort of upgrade on the room.

For the price I paid, the hotel is fine and I am satisfied. But I would look elsewhere if the rate is €180 or more as there is better value to be had in Athens. I don't think the location is too bad; its less than a €6 (most cases ~€4) ride to the historic part and Uber Taxi works perfectly if you don't want to deal with currency.
Isn’t the view supposed to be phenomenal?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Isn’t the view supposed to be phenomenal?
Indeed it is at the rooftop (pool, restaurant). Our room looked in an interior courtyard.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by zakami
Indeed it is at the rooftop (pool, restaurant). Our room looked in an interior courtyard.
Three cash stays as a Globalist, I've only had interior or uninteresting exterior views.

Lounge - consistently referred to as "Globalist Lounge" (?) during my stay (it seems too crowded/busy for just that, though I'm not seeing a "Club" rate) - also has afternoon hours with snacks.

Restaurant remodel since December 2018. Seems to have much more seating space. Maybe a little more on the breakfast buffet.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:10 am

Grand Hyatt Athens

Grand Hyatt Athens

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Athens

Leof. Andrea Siggrou 115 Athens, GR

Grand Hyatt Athens (0 Photo)

Grand Hyatt Athens

Check In

Check in was easy and fast.  They explained where the breakfast was as well as the pools and gym.  No issues.

Room

Booked a basic room and used a DSU and got a Grand Executive Suite with Acropolis view.  The room was nice and had 2 balconies, both of which you could get a decent view of the Acropolis from.  You also got a great view of the very busy street down below, which is a major thoroughfare in Athens, as well as the numerous sex clubs and shops in the area.  

The room was large enough but honestly beyond that was not anything special.  It had a separate area which could be closed off from the bedroom with couch and chairs, as well as a table and second bathroom.  A very nice room, but as mid/upper level suites go, it was just fine.  

The shower was a good size rain shower, which was nice, although it was one of the style with an open entry and no door, which of course, gets water everywhere.  

The bed was comfortable enough, although the thermostat in the bedroom did not seem to work on auto, so you had to either leave it off and the room got hot, or turn it on manually, which eventually got it too cold.  

The road noise from the highway is significant here.  I mean, I slept fine, but it is plenty loud, at least from the 4th floor, so if that is an issue for you you might not want a room on that side.  

Service

The service here was honestly pretty bad and was one of the biggest failings.  The first day they did not replenish the water bottles they provided, and I had to call down to get some water.  After some discussion on the line, they said they would send some up and the maid who brought them up was VISIBLY irritated at having to do that.  

The second day, the housekeeping had not serviced the room when we returned at 1345 hours.  I mean, I know they have "until 1700" technically, but when you are offering 2 servicings a day, are you seriously going to service it at 5pm and then at 8?  We then took a nap and at some point between about 2-5 they tried to service it and left a card. 

We went to dinner and when we returned, they had serviced it but failed to replace a few towels or the water again. I went down stairs to talk to the desk about if they could send up water and replenish the missing towels.  The gentleman at the desk was pleasant but tried to tell me the water was once per stay, and I had to show him the Glob terms, which irritated me.  I hate having to educate you on the benefits, just provide them.  We went to the bar and had a drink and upon returning we saw the same housekeeper in the hallway who gave us a very nasty look after taking the cart from our room.

The next day, we returned at around 6pm after leaving at 0730 and it was not cleaned yet again.  My wife wanted to get a snack from the little informal "club" area, which is just an area in the back of the lobby which is kind of blocked off.  I passed by the desk and asked them to clean the room again, and I guess I was talking to the desk manager who apologized.  

We went to the little club area, and sat down and grabbed a few mediocre food items, and the waiter never once asked if we wanted a drink.  Passed by several times, but never asked, and I even tried to flag him down once or twice, but to no avail.  

Overall, no one was ever rude or anything (although the housekeeping lady was pretty visibly pissed off), but the service just was not up to snuff at a Grand Hyatt.

Dining

Breakfast here was very good.  The buffet was excellent, with a large variety of excellent local pastries, fruits, yogurts, cheeses, meats, hot western items, and fresh juices.  Very good and one of those buffets where I ate way more than I should have every morning.  An excellent value for Globs, and I believe it was 32 euro if you were paying.  I did not dine in the restaurant otherwise.

The location here is, as most have mentioned, pretty substandard.  It also is not as bad as many make it out to be.  The area itself is just fine, although it is filled with sex clubs and strip joints, but honestly, you see a lot of those all over Athens.  It did not feel dangerous or anything.  

As for the main sights, it is about a 25-30 minute walk to the main sights of Athens for tourists, and it is a straight and easy walk.  A cab is the only real other option (the Metro is about a 15 minute walk away and we never used it).  The main issue with cabs is that honestly, while it should be easy to get a cab to the center in about 5 minutes for about 5 euro, 95% of the cabs in Athens are out to screw you and cheat you in every possible way and it gets tiresome.  There were honestly a couple of times we did not leave the hotel when we kind of wanted to because we did not feel like walking and did not feel like dealing with cab nonsense.  Having to always be demanding the meter be turned on, checking the money you give, watching out for BS added surcharges, incorrect fares, etc gets old, and since it is pretty requisite to being able to stay here, it has an impact.  Sure you can walk once or twice, and while it is not hard, like I said, it is a solid 25-30 minutes.  Maybe 20 if you walk fast.  

Overall

I paid 110 euro a night out the door and given the room I received and the breakfast quality, overall I was happy with it.  That being said, without a significant room upgrade using a Globalist upgrade instrument and free breakfast, I would be a lot less happy here.  The hotel was fine, but was not great and the polish was certainly not there.  The location was not horrible as said, but was a definite detractor overall.  There is a reason the rates are so cheap.  Would I return?  As a Glob at that price...probably.  I would definitely look closely at other options first though regardless.  As a non Glob?  No way.

Grand Hyatt Athens

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Athens?

No, thank you.
Yes
Warriorconcept likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.