Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
I called over to the Hilton this morning to ask if they had in-room coffee machinery and supplies and was advised no, however, upon my request they would make that happen (the correct reply), as well as guarantee up-front and immediately assign and block the room upgrade (booked base suite -> to a much upgraded suite) to my points booking with them. I did the booking subject to cancellation on how things develop. It's a sad, sad day when Hilton outperforms a Grand Hyatt. Let's see what happens at checkout tomorrow AM and if they will remove the breakfast charge and block the upgrade for my return this weekend, or give excuses why they "can't".
Checkout follow-up: I'm out of here and doing Hilton instead of Hyatt on way back this weekend. Had to press very hard upon checkout to get 10 euro x2 removed from the bill for the two eggs benedict at breakfast. No only was I booked on a free breakfast rate, as a Globalist there should never be any breakfast charges at a Hyatt flagged property. Ever. Only Thompson (in program but not flagged Hyatt) has ever tried to charge me for misc breakfast items. So paying full fare and not receiving any room upgrade + charged for breakfast items, I'm not going to play that.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Checkout follow-up: I'm out of here and doing Hilton instead of Hyatt on way back this weekend. Had to press very hard upon checkout to get 10 euro x2 removed from the bill for the two eggs benedict at breakfast. No only was I booked on a free breakfast rate, as a Globalist there should never be any breakfast charges at a Hyatt flagged property. Ever. Only Thompson (in program but not flagged Hyatt) has ever tried to charge me for misc breakfast items. So paying full fare and not receiving any room upgrade + charged for breakfast items, I'm not going to play that.
Shocking that eggs Benedict are not part of the eggs station menu... greedy for the least.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
Shocking that eggs Benedict are not part of the eggs station menu... greedy for the least.
Might be wrong but I'm left with the impression the entire a la carte breakfast menu was chargeable and only the lackluster buffet was not. Benedict was one of about 12 items on that menu. Omelettes, pancakes, etc etc.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:18 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Might be wrong but I'm left with the impression the entire a la carte breakfast menu was chargeable and only the lackluster buffet was not. Benedict was one of about 12 items on that menu. Omelettes, pancakes, etc etc.
The breakfast is a shame. Poor quality, limited selection. Even the cheapest Hyatt Place anywhere does 1000% better. Pathetic place if you ask me.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:06 am

We just checked into the Hilton, it's night and day difference. Even for a huge Hyatt loyalist like me there is no question, hands down the Hilton is the choice. Also as a Hilton Diamond I received a very nice room upgrade and breakfast is free. Rooftop bar is epic.
saint and anchor79 like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It seems the Athens Hyatt is going after the middle range tour groups. Not really made for independent travelers. The higher value tours would be using the Grande Bretagne or some of the newer hotels opened recently in the Syntagma Sq. area. As would savvy business travelers. A 20 minute bus ride to the sites of Athens is not a deal breaker for a tour group who travels around by that mode of transportation anyways.

For us....When in Athens we want to walk out our hotel and be in the heart of it all.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
The breakfast is a shame. Poor quality, limited selection. Even the cheapest Hyatt Place anywhere does 1000% better. Pathetic place if you ask me.
What a shame. When i stayed there a couple of years ago the breakfast was sensational.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Anyone stay here recently? (Hopefully the F&B situation improved since LoungeLizardHugo's experience in May?)
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Anyone stay here recently? (Hopefully the F&B situation improved since LoungeLizardHugo's experience in May?)
Had breakfast here today, just a Buffett no a la carte menu but the buffet is large. Hotel is booked full and everyone seems to have breakfast included so the place is a madhouse with groups hovering around waiting to find a table, will probably just go somewhere else for breakfast the rest of my stay as it was not a pleasant experience.

Overall it's not been great with management so far as I booked a Acropolis view grand executive suite and was "upgraded" to a base level suite with no view. After seeing the room and going back down and telling them I was in the wrong room they denied it until I showed them my confirmation, at that point they apologized and said it was a mistake. I'm assuming my booked room was given to the convention that is currently in the hotel. Hotel is full but I ended up in a much nicer room, more of a strip club view room than a Acropolis view but it works. Club lounge is closed and no globalist benefits were mentioned at check in.

A taxi to syntagma square is easy to get, takes about 10 minutes and has been 5-7 euros. The hotel also has a shuttle that runs once a hour. The location is a bit seedy as others have said but not as much of a inconvenience as I was expecting.

I paid $178 a night on a Hyatt Prive rate so the price was very cheap, you get what you pay for
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:07 am

Which hilton?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by trey
Which hilton?
Downtown Athens, next to the art museum
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Skoolz60
Had breakfast here today, just a Buffett no a la carte menu but the buffet is large. Hotel is booked full and everyone seems to have breakfast included so the place is a madhouse with groups hovering around waiting to find a table, will probably just go somewhere else for breakfast the rest of my stay as it was not a pleasant experience.

Overall it's not been great with management so far as I booked a Acropolis view grand executive suite and was "upgraded" to a base level suite with no view. After seeing the room and going back down and telling them I was in the wrong room they denied it until I showed them my confirmation, at that point they apologized and said it was a mistake. I'm assuming my booked room was given to the convention that is currently in the hotel. Hotel is full but I ended up in a much nicer room, more of a strip club view room than a Acropolis view but it works. Club lounge is closed and no globalist benefits were mentioned at check in.

A taxi to syntagma square is easy to get, takes about 10 minutes and has been 5-7 euros. The hotel also has a shuttle that runs once a hour. The location is a bit seedy as others have said but not as much of a inconvenience as I was expecting.

I paid $178 a night on a Hyatt Prive rate so the price was very cheap, you get what you pay for
It sounds dreadful.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by david55
It sounds dreadful.
its getting worse as the stay goes on, the pool only has about 10 loungers for 300 rooms... I just keep telling myself how much $ I saved over staying at the Betange. We had amazing stays at the SLH properties on the islands so I'm wishing I would have tried one of the ones in Athens
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:12 pm

I've got a stay coming up this month as a Globalist -- €102/night and used a suite upgrade and have a confirmed Acropolis View Suite. I have low expectations based on this thread.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by antonius66
What a shame. When i stayed there a couple of years ago the breakfast was sensational.
Thanks to this thread (and tripadvisor reviews from people with more than 1 review) I have changed my mind about booking here - saved again by ft!
tobikosan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.