Wiki Posts
Search

Free bottle of water.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Free bottle of water.

I checked into a HP today and when I got to my room, I dug into the key packet and found a coupon for a bottle of water. Redeemable at the front desk where I just was.

Now I can understand not tasking housekeeping with that at a HP. Those angels have enough to deal with. But why not just offer me a bottle of water at the FD instead of a coupon for a bottle of water?

I did trek down to the FD for the water. Maybe that's what constitutes the HP fitness program.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I just ask when checking in at HP and HH for bottle of water. I've not been offered a coupon for water at HP.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:41 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Upon checkin at an HP in Texas, I was offered two bottles of water. (I was also told that, as a Globalist, I get 15,000 bonus points per stay.) Let us therefore assume that training is not yet complete, and that the events surrounding a stay might change. With that caveat in mind ...

The next morning, I was given a stack of five cards (the size of business cards), one for each night of the stay. I was told to come to the front desk and redeem one card per night, for a free bottle of water.

I replied (cordially, I hope) that they just now added a new daily "chore" to my to-do list. Yet in fact I already have plenty of daily chores (hence a weeklong stay and 12-hour workdays at a customer's site) and I do not actually need a new daily task. I traded in the deck of five cards for five bottles of water, thus immediately discharging the newly-added daily chore.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
HR Boston offered me a bottle of water at checkin and handed me two. Got into the room and there were two bottles on the dresser. Looked in the fridge and there were two more in there. Those four were all branded as free for WOH members. So, in all, six bottles.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd take that 15k per stay at a HP, for sure. One day stays, followed by a day booked from my wife's account, and so on.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd take that 15k per stay at a HP, for sure.
Two HP stays = free night at PH Vendome!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Two HP stays = free night at PH Vendome!
FFN.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
FFN.
Ahhh, FNN....the thing that stole me away from Marriott for a year or two.

I am not sure I've ever encountered a more customer friendly promotion, and one that had to have been an absolute bath for the company.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Ahhh, FNN....the thing that stole me away from Marriott for a year or two.

I am not sure I've ever encountered a more customer friendly promotion, and one that had to have been an absolute bath for the company.
And the free bottle of water brought you back again.....
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I checked in the Hyatt Place in Tampa yesterday, my first trip as a 'Globalist', and too received a single coupon for a bottle of water upon checkin. The front desk agent said I would get one each day, but only got one coupon. I used my coupon today, and didn't get another one back. No water in room either. Guess I will have to ask for another coupon tomorrow. . .
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's always funny how much a 20¢ bottle of water seems to matter.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Mar 7, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Hyatt Places have generally been remarkably good with giving things away at check-in (even while getting the arrival points).

A few places have a silly coupon for a free beverage, but I generally grab a couple sodas at check-in and say, "put these too the room", and they almost never show up on the bill. I would say that it is 50/50 regarding whether pre-packaged snacks and/or candy would show up on the bill.

I'm going to go with the side of the angels and assume they are just remarkably nice rather than too lazy to go through the trouble of putting it on the room.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm waiting for the "why is the bottle so cold" or "the bottle was warm" or "why can't the bottle be bigger" or "i don't like water, why can't it be something else" Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm fairly indifferent to whether they give me the water or make me get it, I'd just like to have a general blanket rule that says I can drink any water bottles that happen to be in the room without worrying that it might really end up costing me $9!

(Every now and then there's a bottle of something and, somewhere within a foot or two, turned upside-down, is the hang-tag that is supposed to be on the water bottle with the large price in small font hidden somewhere on it. I hate that.)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Just completed a stay at HR O'hare, no water in the room. ...! Not even water for purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.