Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
And the GM is the former hotel manager from PH Tokyo.
I did speak with a very regular guest at PH Tokyo who didn't have great things to say about the GM. Didn't really push him for specifics.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
I believe PH Busan, Seoul, and Tokyo cleans the same way. Maybe a brand standard?
Ritz Kyoto cleaned the same way, so as Suiran, they don't want you to see carts in hallways.

Ritz Kyoto was able to provide morning cleaning and evening turndown, So I guess high end property at least in Asia service like that.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by invalyd
I did speak with a very regular guest at PH Tokyo who didn't have great things to say about the GM. Didn't really push him for specifics.
I don't have anything good to say about him either. 😎
I just hope he would maintain or exceed the PH Tokyo standards for his new property.
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:22 am

I don't have anything good to say about him either. 😎
I just hope he would maintain or exceed the PH Tokyo standards for his new property.
I certainly would be curious to know what management's perspective is on all these issues.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:07 am

Ah, I've never really noticed this cleaning style so it's nice to know that it's not main cause of the logistical problems.

Coincidentally a work colleague of mine also just checked into this hotel today and they said the check-in problems were still occurring. They left to explore Kyoto and their bags were misplaced, hopefully accidentally in someone else's room...

Hotel staff also just barged into our room about 10m ago at in the late evening even though we had the privacy light on. Why are hotel staff going into rooms so late in the evening?

I'm rather enjoying my experience though, this is my first time staying in a hotel that has been open for less than a month and all the little failures have been a pretty interesting experience.
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:45 pm

Just arrived at property. Took a taxi to Kodaji which ran Ą1400, taxi drivers definitely not familiar with the property yet. No line to check in at 130pm, suite not ready yet which wasn't a big deal. They have 4 Park Suites in total. Was able to order Japanese breakfast for in room dining. Will report back more later.
solewalker likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:04 am

Few pics of Park Suite. Room wasn't ready till 530pm but they provided free drinks while we waited.

Last edited by invalyd; Nov 27, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:29 pm

Huge teething issues but recovery was fine

Just checked in yesterday Dec 27 at 4:30pm. Room was ready. Thanks to the forum, I booked with points for three nights and paid the difference for a view room. In my opinion, it is totally worth it. I am on the 3rd floor not far from the elevator.

Here are some issues and things that future guests should be aware of:

1: As people have been saying very few cab drivers know the place! I even used MK taxis which is used by Hyatt Regency for their good service. I gave the driver the address and mentioned Kodaji but he said he kind of know the area but was not sure. I ended up Skyping the hotel and had them talk to the driver for the exact location.

2: Here is the main issue. When I arrived three staff were standing at the driveway. A man was talking to a woman and then a 2nd man went to the back of the car. I got off and almost did not get the receipt but in the last minute I asked for it (thank goodness). The first guy said “welcome back” and gestured me to the entrance. I thought it was odd but assumed it was because I called and being a member and all that:-). I looked back at the first guy and pointed to the trunk where the 2nd guy was standing and he nodded his head and again gestured me to the entrance. Well I thought this is the Park Hyatt they will take care of everything, silly me. I checked in and the lady walked me to the room. I sheepishly enquired about my bag. She said since you sounded worry about your bag I will personally check on it. Half an hour later still no bag. I went back downstairs and found out no one had checked on it. So I insisted on staying there to make sure they locate it. They found out they did not unload it off the cab!!!! I remembered reading this on another forum about another high end hotel and thought it is just urban myth:-). The duty manager was very apologetic and accepted that it should never have happened. Luckily I got the cab receipt and he called and was able to retrieve the bag in about 15 minutes. He asked what can he do to compensate me and suggested a few options. I told him whatever he thought was appropriate. I went out for dinner at tempura Endo and came back to find a half bottle of Ruinart Blanc de Blancs (nice one and I think it retails at around USD 25) and some grapes waiting. I thought it was nice and he also offered me ice tea when I was waiting. Anyway sorry for the long winded text, but always get your cab receipt and make sure you see that they unloaded your bag!

3: There were other minor service issues that should not have happened at a hotel of this quality but I have to say the location is just amazing!!! When I was walking back in the Higashiyama at night, groups of people with serious looking cameras and equipment were taking pictures of the pagoda and the street. I was happily walking back to my room and knowing that I will be staring at it in my bed.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I stayed at this property last week and booked a room on points. Was given a King View room and was disappointed with the layout and space:

The three lowest category of rooms are 45sqm (King, King Terrace, King View) which should be sufficient space but due to a foyer, hall and the small width of the room you end up with a claustrophobic living room:

Besides the king bed there is the sofa and an oversized table and an armchair and there is just no space left to move. The back of the sofa faces the window so you can forget about enjoying the view. I personally thought the sofa is uncomfortably firm and looks like an uncovered mattress with a mattress topper and some pillows on top. Not Park Hyatt at all.

There is no space to work in any of the rooms and suites: no desk available and the oversized table is too high for working whether you are seated in the armchair or on the sofa. I was offered to work out of the Bistro or the Tea Lounge.

The bathroom has a separate shower and bath and the actual bathroom is very very small and the double sinks have no space to put any toiletries.

There are so many things wrong with the lowest room categories in terms so I am really puzzled why all the impracticalities were not caught during the design phase.

Looking at the pictures above, the King Suite looks gorgeous and going through the room types again I think the Deluxe Rooms are big enough to fix some of the issues I faced in my room.

Summary: Avoid the three lowest room categories to avoid disappointment and go for the Deluxe Room at a minimum.

Breakfast: the breakfast is not the standard or quality you would expect at a Park Hyatt and especially a Japanese Park Hyatt. No effort made here.

Gym and sauna: The gym is small spaces left and right a floor leading to the sauna which comes with the smallest sauna I have ever seen: the space of the hot saune is less than a square meter (or 10 sft). There is tight space for two adults to sit next to each other. While your bathroom amenities are Le Labo they went no name for the sauna. Think Park Hyatt Tokyo and they have Aesop everywhere.

What struck me the most is how unjapanese the place felt. I think very highly of Park Hyatt Tokyo and actually stayed there two nights ago for a direct comparison but Park Hyatt Kyoto has a long way to go to match that standard.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
. He asked what can he do to compensate me and suggested a few options. I told him whatever he thought was appropriate. I went out for dinner at tempura Endo and came back to find a half bottle of Ruinart Blanc de Blancs (nice one and I think it retails at around USD 25) and some grapes waiting.
Really shocked to hear this but happy you got your bags bag. We also found a bottle of Ruinart in our room. Seems to be their go-to apology bottle
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

In room Japanese breakfast. Wouldn't agree with above comments with that it's not up to PH standards but maybe the western buffet is not, will check it out tomorrow.
They did make me sign a bill though which I have a suspicion I'll need to have removed at checkout.

lamont2718 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77
I stayed at this property last week and booked a room on points. Was given a King View room and was disappointed with the layout and space:

The three lowest category of rooms are 45sqm (King, King Terrace, King View) which should be sufficient space but due to a foyer, hall and the small width of the room you end up with a claustrophobic living room:

Besides the king bed there is the sofa and an oversized table and an armchair and there is just no space left to move. The back of the sofa faces the window so you can forget about enjoying the view. I personally thought the sofa is uncomfortably firm and looks like an uncovered mattress with a mattress topper and some pillows on top. Not Park Hyatt at all.

There is no space to work in any of the rooms and suites: no desk available and the oversized table is too high for working whether you are seated in the armchair or on the sofa. I was offered to work out of the Bistro or the Tea Lounge.

The bathroom has a separate shower and bath and the actual bathroom is very very small and the double sinks have no space to put any toiletries.

There are so many things wrong with the lowest room categories in terms so I am really puzzled why all the impracticalities were not caught during the design phase.

Looking at the pictures above, the King Suite looks gorgeous and going through the room types again I think the Deluxe Rooms are big enough to fix some of the issues I faced in my room.

Summary: Avoid the three lowest room categories to avoid disappointment and go for the Deluxe Room at a minimum.
The lower category rooms do look rather tight, I've booked 3 nights in April with points in a standard King but am only a Discoverist. I'm guessing they won't even have availability to upgrade me.

As bad as the rooms are, do you think it's worth it to pay cash to upgrade from a King to King View? I imagine the King feels even more claustrophobic with no view...
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
In room Japanese breakfast. Wouldn't agree with above comments with that it's not up to PH standards but maybe the western buffet is not, will check it out tomorrow.
They did make me sign a bill though which I have a suspicion I'll need to have removed at checkout.

That is pretty spectacular. If only they could do something about the electricity poles in the background.
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Japanese breakfast looks good quality. Do they provide a sheet about the contents?

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Just checked in yesterday Dec 27 at 4:30pm. Room was ready. Thanks to the forum, I booked with points for three nights and paid the difference for a view room. In my opinion, it is totally worth it. I am on the 3rd floor not far from the elevator.

Here are some issues and things that future guests should be aware of:

1: As people have been saying very few cab drivers know the place! I even used MK taxis which is used by Hyatt Regency for their good service. I gave the driver the address and mentioned Kodaji but he said he kind of know the area but was not sure. I ended up Skyping the hotel and had them talk to the driver for the exact location.

2: Here is the main issue. When I arrived three staff were standing at the driveway. A man was talking to a woman and then a 2nd man went to the back of the car. I got off and almost did not get the receipt but in the last minute I asked for it (thank goodness). The first guy said “welcome back” and gestured me to the entrance. I thought it was odd but assumed it was because I called and being a member and all that:-). I looked back at the first guy and pointed to the trunk where the 2nd guy was standing and he nodded his head and again gestured me to the entrance. Well I thought this is the Park Hyatt they will take care of everything, silly me. I checked in and the lady walked me to the room. I sheepishly enquired about my bag. She said since you sounded worry about your bag I will personally check on it. Half an hour later still no bag. I went back downstairs and found out no one had checked on it. So I insisted on staying there to make sure they locate it. They found out they did not unload it off the cab!!!! I remembered reading this on another forum about another high end hotel and thought it is just urban myth:-). The duty manager was very apologetic and accepted that it should never have happened. Luckily I got the cab receipt and he called and was able to retrieve the bag in about 15 minutes. He asked what can he do to compensate me and suggested a few options. I told him whatever he thought was appropriate. I went out for dinner at tempura Endo and came back to find a half bottle of Ruinart Blanc de Blancs (nice one and I think it retails at around USD 25) and some grapes waiting. I thought it was nice and he also offered me ice tea when I was waiting. Anyway sorry for the long winded text, but always get your cab receipt and make sure you see that they unloaded your bag!
I'm sorry but half a bottle is really half of an apology. Just chintzy to give the 375ml one for a PH in Japan.
I'm glad your bag got back to you safe but this could have ended rather badly. They're so casual and careless for Japan.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 28, 2019 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
That is pretty spectacular. If only they could do something about the electricity poles in the background.
I believe those are TV antennas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.