Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jameswes
Even over New Years, I'm only seeing nightly rates of $750, which given the current 25K/nt is 3cpp. Still a great use of points, but I'm not seeing anything with rates over $1250/nt.
Um, you know that taxes and resort fees are not charged on awards, right?

The per night cost for my stay is $799 for lagoon view; with all the add-ons, it's well over a grand a night. With the points rebate promo, five nights will cost 93,750 points. Ergo, over 5 cpp.

You might reconsider your math since you're apparently not including taxes and fees in your value calculation (and at this property, those costs can exceed 40% of the room rate).
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Um, you know that taxes and resort fees are not charged on awards, right?

The per night cost for my stay is $799 for lagoon view; with all the add-ons, it's well over a grand a night. With the points rebate promo, five nights will cost 93,750 points. Ergo, over 5 cpp.

You might reconsider your math since you're apparently not including taxes and fees in your value calculation (and at this property, those costs can exceed 40% of the room rate).
You're right, I wasn't included taxes and resort fees. And you're also correct that there are a LOT of taxes and fees here (and I've previously ignored the resort fees because they've been waived for globalists either way, and I forget about that). And I typically just compare the very base room cost because if you book with Prive you get a complimentary room upgrade, and most of the time for a stay like this I'd apply a TSU and move to a suite anyway. And if you're not Globalist, then the Prive breakfast benefits easily save $100/day.

Still being said though - if you're going to count points rebate promo, then you should also count the spend promo. At 4x points for a resort and 4 points/dollar with the Hyatt card, you're earning 24 points/dollar on your spend. That's 90K points for the 5 night stay you'd be earning.

Paying with points:
25K/night, * 5 - 25% rebate = 93,750 points.
+ Breakfast (~$500 for 2 people for 5 days)

Paying with $$ on Prive:
$749/nt + taxes/fees * 5 = $5025
+ earnings of 90K points

Doing the math there, the total value ends up being around 2.3 cpp, which is still well above any reasonable redemption rate for Hyatt.

I think you're right that points is a great deal at Mayakoba in the Christmas-New Years holiday when their rates are abnormally high.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by fangtl
No plans yet, just exploring possibilities in MX.

In the age of C19, is using a TSU worth it here or is it pretty much a guarantee that Globalists will receive it?
I personally feel like this property isn't very proactive with upgrading globalist further than their booked room. I stayed there in July and the resort was close to empty(10% capacity) and didn't get proactively upgraded. Had to go back to ask for an upgrade after we toured the room.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by faboi0us
I personally feel like this property isn't very proactive with upgrading globalist further than their booked room. I stayed there in July and the resort was close to empty(10% capacity) and didn't get proactively upgraded. Had to go back to ask for an upgrade after we toured the room.
Some properties are proactive and some strictly adhere to the T&C where it’s if it’s available on the date of check in. I always check my stay a few days prior to check in to see if anything was upgraded. If it’s not upgraded prior to check in, I look at what’s available in terms of standard suites and ask at the desk for the upgrade. It definitely shouldn’t be an issue, especially when it’s 10-20% capacity.

I’ve had properties proactively upgrade us months ahead, but those are properties we stay at frequently so they have us on a “VIP” list of frequently staying Globalists I believe. Not sure how many properties are like that, but like I said if it’s available at check in just ask and you shall receive.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Any idea what sort of work space this property offers for Work From Hyatt?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Any idea what sort of work space this property offers for Work From Hyatt?
TPG did an odd article about it today which seems like it may have been sponsored by Andaz (given some of the quotes and the way it's been written). The whole article was about work from home... but they managed to totally butcher it. They suggest they were upgraded to a suite because of their discoverist status (unlikely - possibly because they were from TPG, possibly because it was WFH and the suite was intended to have a "separate workspace". But then they also suggest that they were offered a separate workspace and declined it because they preferred to work from their room?! TPG is mediocre at the best of times, but this article was pretty terrible (given its supposed focus on the WFH promo/rate - but also, who the hell puts parsley in guacamole?!?).

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/work-...ndaz-mayakoba/
JustinTJ likes this.

Last edited by coleslaw; Oct 26, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
TPG did an odd article about it today which seems like it may have been sponsored by Andaz (given some of the quotes and the way it's been written). The whole article was about work from home... but they managed to totally butcher it. They suggest they were upgraded to a suite because of their discoverist status (unlikely - possibly because they were from TPG, possibly because it was WFH and the suite was intended to have a "separate workspace". But then they also suggest that they were offered a separate workspace and declined it because they preferred to work from their room?! TPG is mediocre at the best of times, but this article was pretty terrible (given its supposed focus on the WFH promo/rate - but also, who the hell puts parsley in guacamole?!?).

Clearly says right at the top that the article is "Brought to you by World of Hyatt" and is therefore a paid, sponsored article.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Clearly says right at the top that the article is "Brought to you by World of Hyatt" and is therefore a paid, sponsored article.
Ah, yes, it does show that if you visit the webpage. That doesn’t show up if you use an RSS aggregator like Feedly.

The fact that it’s an openly paid, sponsored article just makes it look even sloppier.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

I'm a Discoverist but not a famous blogger, so wondering what might be available to plebians like myself.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I'm a Discoverist but not a famous blogger, so wondering what might be available to plebians like myself.
Haha that's the best part - when I asked the about what is used as the "separate private workspace" for the Work From Hyatt rate a few weeks ago they said they would give me a space in their vegan restaurant and set up a desk with a chair. Not exactly "private"... unless maybe Andaz Mayakoba is particularly unpopular with vegans and the restaurant is always empty?!

This setup was even worse than the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen who said they would give me a space in their club lounge. I guess maybe this is why the TPG author preferred not to use the "separate private workspace" and sit in the vegan restaurant all day? Such a misleading article.

If you're not booking a WFH rate then you'll probably be lucky to get a one category upgrade.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

It was likely cilantro but not recognized as such by the author.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Pretty much everything TPG posts is paid for, one way or another. While it may have started as a real blog way back when, it's just paid marketing at this point (and very shoddy paid marketing, at that).
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Pretty much everything TPG posts is paid for, one way or another. While it may have started as a real blog way back when, it's just paid marketing at this point (and very shoddy paid marketing, at that).
Another garbage article from TPG posted today.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium; Hyatt - Globalist; United - 1K
Which resort / property to choose?!?

Looking to book a 4/5 night stay in early December, but struggling to decide between the GH PDC and the Andaz Mayakoba (also considering Cancun Zilara). Based on reading through both of the property discussion pages, here is what I have distilled -

Andaz - Portion of property is closed (including spa / some restaurants). More remote location (limited off-property dining options).

GH - Club Lounge is closed. Beach access is limited / not accessible.

Anything that I should consider further? Just looking to get away for a few days and haven't visited either property previously. Looking to pay cash rate, if that matters.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SecondCity
Looking to book a 4/5 night stay in early December, but struggling to decide between the GH PDC and the Andaz Mayakoba (also considering Cancun Zilara). Based on reading through both of the property discussion pages, here is what I have distilled -

Andaz - Portion of property is closed (including spa / some restaurants). More remote location (limited off-property dining options).

GH - Club Lounge is closed. Beach access is limited / not accessible.

Anything that I should consider further? Just looking to get away for a few days and haven't visited either property previously. Looking to pay cash rate, if that matters.
From recent calls with the management team at the Andaz, the entire resort should be fully reopened within the next couple of weeks as occupancy levels based on current bookings for the next few months are back to over 50%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.