Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:53 am

Been playing around with numbers looking at the various promotions going on and what it would cost to buy nights via points or buy status right now. Given the cheap rates out there, any of this could likely be done through a cheap extended stay on a qualifying rate but still thought interesting to play with the math, as I don't have an ultra cheap hyatt near me but do have some Cat 1s.

This combines the 30% bonus on buying points (net cost of 1.85cpp bought) with the 25% points rebate for WoH card holders.
Edit to add: the 30% only applies to 55k points bought, so that makes this moot if you're trying to go 0 to 30 or 60 but still interesting for the marginal costs.

Then, if you look at doing this for 60k nights before Dec 31, you would earn status for both 2021 AND 2022 (using rollover nights), as well as a double set of milestone rewards:

2x cat 1-4 nights
2x cat 1-7 nights
8x suite upgrades
2x $100 GCs (or whatever you pick at 40nights)
8x club access awards
75k points via rebate

Food for thought. Better than paying rent
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Surgee

Food for thought. Better than paying rent
Also worth looking for properties where you can get a rate that less than (or around the same as) your net cost per night. Then you'd be earning points on the spend as well as getting the elite night credits.

There looks to be plenty of Hyatt Place / House / Regency in the $60-70 (+tax) price ranges.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Quick questions about current Hyatt rules

Globalist in 2020, extended through 2/22 like everyone else. I haven't traveled much since February, but have racked up 40 nights including 30 nights of credit card spend. I expect to log at least 6-8 more nights through the end of the year, including a couple actual nights of stays..

I haven't paid enough attention to all of Hyatt's status and cert extensions and promotions, so pardon my ignorance in asking these questions;
- are nights booked and stayed between now and Dec. 31, 2020 earning double night credit?
- will any/all of these nights also count towards 2021 earning status? single or double credit in 2021?
- if I get to 60 nights by end of year 2020, when will the Diamond status expire - Feb 2022 (in which case, there's no benefit other than Suite upgrades and the rollover nights?) or Feb 2023?
- is there any reason, other than the suite upgrades, to push for 60 nights? There are plenty of cheap matttress run options given a good reason....

Again, sorry for being so out of touch but I just haven't even thought about travel for most of the past 6 months and I'm hoping it's nearly time to start planning for next year! Appreciate your input.
Thanks,
ST
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Globalist in 2020, extended through 2/22 like everyone else. I haven't traveled much since February, but have racked up 40 nights including 30 nights of credit card spend. I expect to log at least 6-8 more nights through the end of the year, including a couple actual nights of stays..

I haven't paid enough attention to all of Hyatt's status and cert extensions and promotions, so pardon my ignorance in asking these questions;
- are nights booked and stayed between now and Dec. 31, 2020 earning double night credit?
- will any/all of these nights also count towards 2021 earning status? single or double credit in 2021?
- if I get to 60 nights by end of year 2020, when will the Diamond status expire - Feb 2022 (in which case, there's no benefit other than Suite upgrades and the rollover nights?) or Feb 2023?
- is there any reason, other than the suite upgrades, to push for 60 nights? There are plenty of cheap matttress run options given a good reason....

Again, sorry for being so out of touch but I just haven't even thought about travel for most of the past 6 months and I'm hoping it's nearly time to start planning for next year! Appreciate your input.
Thanks,
ST
First -

The pros of hitting 60 nights would be -

4 Suite Upgrade Awards with 2022 expiration (very valuable).

1 Category 1-7 Certificate 12/31/21 Expiration (Conservatively $500 Value). Normal expiration is 6 months but Hyatt is giving an extra extension for any Free Night Awards earned in 2020.

As far as the night credits question -

For any stays between now and checking out by 12/31 you’d receive 1 Elite Night Credit towards 2020 Status and 1 Elite Night Credit towards 2021 Status. So logging 20 Nights would get you Globalist (Through 2022) and all the above mentioned Milestone Rewards AND it would net you 20 Nights towards 2021 status (plus 5 for having the CC) meaning you’re starting 2021 with 25 Nights. Those nights also count towards Milestones, so you’d only be 5 Nights from a Cat 1-4 Certificate in 2021.

Night credits earned through the CC do not count double or towards 2021 status (Only nights earned by stays count) in case you were wondering.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Thanks, Matt - pretty much what I thought, but things have changed often enough during the year (and I wasn't paying normal attention) so needed your help.

I had completely forgotten the Cat 7 cert. There are properties here in the Bay Area that are under $70 a night, so 14 nights would cost me about $1000 - not nothing, but not unreasonable, IF I can leverage the suite awards in 2021, a reasonable cost. Will have to think about it a bit more, I still have 4 of them available due to the extension!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Thanks, Matt - pretty much what I thought, but things have changed often enough during the year (and I wasn't paying normal attention) so needed your help.

I had completely forgotten the Cat 7 cert. There are properties here in the Bay Area that are under $70 a night, so 14 nights would cost me about $1000 - not nothing, but not unreasonable, IF I can leverage the suite awards in 2021, a reasonable cost. Will have to think about it a bit more, I still have 4 of them available due to the extension!
Yeah, no problem.

There’s also the supposition that I’d your stay bridges December and January checking on 1-1-1/4 that you would receive 0 nights for 2020 and Double Elite Nights for 2021 status. That would be a good route to go if you don’t value (Or don’t want/need) the Suite Upgrade Awards or Cat 1-7 Certificate much.

Not only all of what I mentioned before and what I’m mentioning now, but also you’d receive 16.5 points per $1 spent getting those nights. So let’s just say it’s exactly $70 a night for those 14 Nights that alone nets you 16,170 points conservatively worth $250.

Just laying it all out there for you.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
How is a rate below $40?? I’ve honestly never seen a rate below $40 after taxes/fees (that includes MLife with their $7 Rates but $38 Resort Fees).

Is the property in the US or abroad? Just wondering personally as it inspires me to keep looking for stays for next year.
Sorry for the late reply. Check Hyatt Places in Mexico. I'm currently in Aguascalientes. I'm going to go to Leon Hyatt Centric for a few days, then come back for another 10-20 days. But shhhhhh, let's keep it between us.

edit: If anyone comes and wants to get some dinner, hit me up.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by itcheroni
Sorry for the late reply. Check Hyatt Places in Mexico. I'm currently in Aguascalientes. I'm going to go to Leon Hyatt Centric for a few days, then come back for another 10-20 days. But shhhhhh, let's keep it between us.

edit: If anyone comes and wants to get some dinner, hit me up.
Very interesting the only Mexican Hyatt Place I’ve ever looked at was Tijuana with very expensive nightly rates for TJ (usually over $100 US).

Enjoy your stay!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:47 pm

Very interesting the only Mexican Hyatt Place I’ve ever looked at was Tijuana with very expensive nightly rates for TJ (usually over $100 US).

Enjoy your stay!
Thanks! TJ seems to be the highest cash price for all of Hyatt Places in Mexico, but it's a Cat 1 if you want to use points. This is a great place for a mattress run. I'll definitely come back if I ever want to top off my nights with a paid stay.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:52 am

Currently at a property that also sells its rooms like a HRC. We had a Globalist 4pm checkout and were just called by the Front Desk (after the maids showed up and we turned them away) saying a realtor wanted to show the room between 12pm and 4pm today (our date of checkout).

Very awkward situation she offered to move us to another room, which for us would be a lot of packing in a rush as when we were told it was almost 11:30am.

We kindly let her know that wouldn’t be an option as we’d just gotten up and had breakfast. Nowhere close to packing up and being ready for the day or to leave after a 5 day trip with a little one. We did offer to checkout by 2pm to show some courtesy on our end though which they said they could make work.

Just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

Also, really strange that in the age of COVID they’d do a showing the same day as a guest’s checkout.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Currently at a property that also sells its rooms like a HRC. We had a Globalist 4pm checkout and were just called by the Front Desk (after the maids showed up and we turned them away) saying a realtor wanted to show the room between 12pm and 4pm today (our date of checkout).

Very awkward situation she offered to move us to another room, which for us would be a lot of packing in a rush as when we were told it was almost 11:30am.

We kindly let her know that wouldn’t be an option as we’d just gotten up and had breakfast. Nowhere close to packing up and being ready for the day or to leave after a 5 day trip with a little one. We did offer to checkout by 2pm to show some courtesy on our end though which they said they could make work.

Just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

Also, really strange that in the age of COVID they’d do a showing the same day as a guest’s checkout.
What is HRC? A similar situation have happened to me at a Marriott in China while I was a Platinum. The front desk called me room at about noon and asked if I can check-out by around 2 PM since they need to sell the room. I was shocked by the polite request. I said no. Fortunately for me, they didn't push it any further. I checked-out at 4 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What is HRC? A similar situation have happened to me at a Marriott in China while I was a Platinum. The front desk called me room at about noon and asked if I can check-out by around 2 PM since they need to sell the room. I was shocked by the polite request. I said no. Fortunately for me, they didn't push it any further. I checked-out at 4 PM.
HRC = Hyatt Residence Club where the rooms/suites are more like homes or timeshares.

At this property a lot (if not all) of the Standard Suites (and Premium Suites) are actually owned by individuals and they allow the hotel to rent them out when they are not in use by the owners.

Very interesting, in your case I’m guessing it was just to “sell” the room for an individual stay though. We didn’t want to lose any Goodwill with the hotel so we checked out by 2pm instead of 4pm the front desk was very thankful, maybe they’ll make a positive note about us internally for our future visits. Always good to keep a good rep with properties you hope to frequent, and this was definitely one we stay at frequently with good treatment.

Just was wondering if this had happened to others with a realtor needing the room, and I did think it odd that they were using it for that the same day as many properties are letting rooms aerate for 24 hours prior to even entering by housekeeping.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HRC = Hyatt Residence Club where the rooms/suites are more like homes or timeshares.

At this property a lot (if not all) of the Standard Suites (and Premium Suites) are actually owned by individuals and they allow the hotel to rent them out when they are not in use by the owners.

Very interesting, in your case I’m guessing it was just to “sell” the room for an individual stay though. We didn’t want to lose any Goodwill with the hotel so we checked out by 2pm instead of 4pm the front desk was very thankful, maybe they’ll make a positive note about us internally for our future visits. Always good to keep a good rep with properties you hope to frequent, and this was definitely one we stay at frequently with good treatment.

Just was wondering if this had happened to others with a realtor needing the room, and I did think it odd that they were using it for that the same day as many properties are letting rooms aerate for 24 hours prior to even entering by housekeeping.
I'm not sure how I could have lost any goodwill with that property. It was my first time being there and 4 PM check-out is part of my perks of being a Marriott Platinum. I didn't made a big deal over it as long as they didn't made a big deal over it.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it’s paid for with her Credit Card (her card being used for the deposit) you likely won’t get credit for it. Best way to do situations like that would be to book then pay with your card and ask her to reimburse you.

Not saying you 100% won’t get any credit, just saying if it’s paid for with her card and was originally booked under her name the credit wouldn’t go to you, it’d go to her and if she doesn’t have a WOH account then it’ll sit in limbo.
I just want to update you on the situation. So I contacted Hyatt and at the time they said I had to wait at least 72 hours before they'll investigate. Today, I saw nothing and messaged them on Facebook. The rep asked for the folio and I send it to her via FB Messenger. The folio have my name and address on the top left corner and my Hyatt number in the bottom left corner. The folio also shows the last 4 digits of my Chase Hyatt card. The rep responded by saying the folio appears to show that my girlfriend paid. I was shocked and ask how did she made that conclusion. She noted my girlfriend's name in one of the lines, but at the same time, it shows the reservation changed to my name. Furthermore, I asked if she can see the last 4 digits of my Chase Hyatt card saved in the app. She didn't addressed that. Rather than debate this further, the rep said she'll do a one time courtesy and give me the points and night. I was surprised by her comment and pressed her on it. By looking at the folio myself, I don't see how it's possible for her to make a conclusion like that. I asked her what would happen if this happens again and she said we'll deal with it at that time. This is so weird.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not sure how I could have lost any goodwill with that property. It was my first time being there and 4 PM check-out is part of my perks of being a Marriott Platinum. I didn't made a big deal over it as long as they didn't made a big deal over it.
I’m not saying you would have lost any goodwill. There’s just a large difference between needing the room for another guest vs. needing it for a realtor to actually sell. In your situation they could just give someone a better upgrade and problem solved, but ours is the same as selling a house you need to see the actual exact place, and there’s no replacement. The value of the Suite/Residence we stayed in was about 1 Million USD. Because of the special situation we did the best we could to pack and check out giving them still a reasonable window for the realtor still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.