Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atourgates
Globalist Guest-booking at Small Luxury Hotels question.

After earning globalist in early 2020 just in time for the pandemic, we're finally starting to make some bookings.

What are the rules about making award reservations in someone else's name, with your Hyatt points at SLH locations?

We offered to give a few nights at a SLH location to friends as a wedding gift. But then when I went to book, my concierge initially said that not only could I not do a Guest of Honor booking at a SLH location, but I was initially told that I couldn't even make a booking for someone other than myself.

The concierge then (kindly) came back a bit later and said that she double-checked, and found that she could make the booking, but I couldn't apply any suite upgrade certificates or the GOH benefits at a SLH location.

Just wondering what the "rules" are about booking rooms for someone else with your points (at SLH and other locations), and if it's true that you can only ever use suite upgrade certificates for bookings in your name.
Globalist benefits don't apply at SLH properties - but you still get breakfast and a one category room upgrade regardless of your WOH status. You can't use TSUs at SLH properties.

World of Hyatt members receive on-property benefits including complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi, early check-in (based on availability at check-in), late check out (based on availability at check-in), and a one category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in).
BENEFITS FOR WORLD OF HYATT MEMBERS STAYING AT PARTICIPATING SLH PROPERTIES

When spending an Eligible SLH Night at a Participating SLH Property, Members will receive certain in-hotel benefits as specified here. Those benefits are subject to change and an updated list of the benefits will be posted on that site. Certain benefits may only be available to a specified number of guests and may be available for additional guests for an additional fee (e.g., complimentary continental breakfast is only for two (2) guests and is available for a fee for additional guests).

Please note Members who book a stay at a Participating SLH Property through Hyatt Booking Channels are not eligible for benefits of SLH’s Invited loyalty program.

Please also note that the In-hotel Benefits provided to Members when they stay at a Hyatt hotel or resort are not provided to Members staying at Participating SLH Properties. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, and as noted above, please note that the Globalist benefit of a waived resort, destination or facility fee when paying an Eligible Rate is not valid at Participating SLH Properties.
atourgates likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks coleslaw - are you generally allowed to make bookings for someone else outside of GOH - at SLH or "normal" Hyatt properties and pay with points? Or no?
Old May 6, 2021, 1:43 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by atourgates
Globalist Guest-booking at Small Luxury Hotels question.

After earning globalist in early 2020 just in time for the pandemic, we're finally starting to make some bookings.

What are the rules about making award reservations in someone else's name, with your Hyatt points at SLH locations?

We offered to give a few nights at a SLH location to friends as a wedding gift. But then when I went to book, my concierge initially said that not only could I not do a Guest of Honor booking at a SLH location, but I was initially told that I couldn't even make a booking for someone other than myself.

The concierge then (kindly) came back a bit later and said that she double-checked, and found that she could make the booking, but I couldn't apply any suite upgrade certificates or the GOH benefits at a SLH location.

Just wondering what the "rules" are about booking rooms for someone else with your points (at SLH and other locations), and if it's true that you can only ever use suite upgrade certificates for bookings in your name.
there is an SLH sub-forum with a sticky on Globalist benefits. Unfortunately the sub-forum is not very active, but you may find some additional valuable information and reviews here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...otels-slh-772/

would be great if you added your experiences, too, to give a boost to the Hyatt sub-forum
atourgates likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
My family and I are thinking of going on a trip to Asia in 2022. I'm currently a Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond. We haven't decided on a city yet, but it'll probably be either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. I think Marriott limits free breakfast from my Titanium status to 2 people. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with Hilton and Hyatt's rules. In terms of breakfast for 4 people and points accrual, am I better off with Hilton or Hyatt?
Old May 7, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
My family and I are thinking of going on a trip to Asia in 2022. I'm currently a Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond. We haven't decided on a city yet, but it'll probably be either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. I think Marriott limits free breakfast from my Titanium status to 2 people. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with Hilton and Hyatt's rules. In terms of breakfast for 4 people and points accrual, am I better off with Hilton or Hyatt?
My past experience has been that Hyatt limits Globalist lounge access to people staying in the same room. Assuming you book two rooms, the second room doesn't get any benefits.

The workaround is to book the second room as a "Guest of Honor" points booking (i.e. under wife's name), in which case Globalist benefits apply. Downside is that the points won't be in your account, but could be transferred in a future booking.

(Hopefully this info is still accurate, someone please correct if it has changed.)
lsquare likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:48 pm

Can one use a club access award cert for a second room in this case? That could possibly cover breakfast, depending on hotel..?
Old May 7, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
Can one use a club access award cert for a second room in this case? That could possibly cover breakfast, depending on hotel..?
Yes, as long as you (/the award holder) is also staying in the hotel at the same time.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 1:29 pm

\\\\\
xooz and lsquare like this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 22, 2024 at 9:14 am Reason: IBJ
Old May 7, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wh6cto
My past experience has been that Hyatt limits Globalist lounge access to people staying in the same room. Assuming you book two rooms, the second room doesn't get any benefits.

The workaround is to book the second room as a "Guest of Honor" points booking (i.e. under wife's name), in which case Globalist benefits apply. Downside is that the points won't be in your account, but could be transferred in a future booking.

(Hopefully this info is still accurate, someone please correct if it has changed.)
Its not likely I'll have enough points so I rather just pay cash and not worry about getting value from an award stay.

Yes, I intend to book two rooms and we will all be staying there at the same time.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes, as long as you (/the award holder) is also staying in the hotel at the same time.
Oh! Totally forgot about this!

Yes, I'll be staying at the same time as the rest of my family. I do notice in my account that I have 4 club access award in my account expiring in February 2022. How does a CAA work and how many days does it cover? Asia have excellent lounges so this could tip the selection to Hyatt over Hilton and Marriott.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:35 pm

Oh! Totally forgot about this!

Yes, I'll be staying at the same time as the rest of my family. I do notice in my account that I have 4 club access award in my account expiring in February 2022. How does a CAA work and how many days does it cover? Asia have excellent lounges so this could tip the selection to Hyatt over Hilton and Marriott.
You can apply each award for a stay of up to 7 nights. The property will need to have "club" room types available to apply the award (even though you book into a standard room type initially). If you're going to use an award and not book a suite, then I would just book the cheapest room you can get. You usually get upgraded to the club floor along with getting club access.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:38 pm

Have a reservation for tomorrow and had requested early check in when booked. Will the APP tell me tomorrow if I have been granted the early check in or when our room is ready? Curious how that works and/or if I have to call and check to see if it's available. Thanks for any experience you could share.
Old May 7, 2021, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by shand32783
Have a reservation for tomorrow and had requested early check in when booked. Will the APP tell me tomorrow if I have been granted the early check in or when our room is ready? Curious how that works and/or if I have to call and check to see if it's available. Thanks for any experience you could share.
You won't see anything in the app. You just turn up and hope they can accommodate you.
shand32783 likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
You can apply each award for a stay of up to 7 nights. The property will need to have "club" room types available to apply the award (even though you book into a standard room type initially). If you're going to use an award and not book a suite, then I would just book the cheapest room you can get. You usually get upgraded to the club floor along with getting club access.
I think I need more details from you since I'm not a Hyatt expert. I generally book the cheapest room at any Hyatt property and ask for an upgrade at check-in. So if I were to stay at a Hyatt in Asia, I would book two of the cheapest rooms and then ask for a suite upgrade. If I get it, great, if not, that's fine too. So in this case, how would I apply the CAA? I've actually never used a CAA before.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I think I need more details from you since I'm not a Hyatt expert. I generally book the cheapest room at any Hyatt property and ask for an upgrade at check-in. So if I were to stay at a Hyatt in Asia, I would book two of the cheapest rooms and then ask for a suite upgrade. If I get it, great, if not, that's fine too. So in this case, how would I apply the CAA? I've actually never used a CAA before.
CAA and Suite Upgrade Certificate are generally to be applied ahead of Check-In. You can ask your My Hyatt Concierge to apply the CAA to your stay, you will need to use one award per room, each being valid for 7 nights. You can also reach out to Hyatt CS by phone or chat, or contact them on Messenger or Twitter and it should only take a few minutes to solve.

You should note though that a CAA (at least according to my experiences) will not necessarily get you into a Club Room. If the property is fully booked, they will likely keep you into your standard room and offer free breakfast and lounge access.

As a Globalist, WOH rules say that you only get Lounge benefits for one room (I mean, without even having to use a CAA). So CAA are mainly useful on the second room to make sure that those travelling with you get Lounge access as well. That said, some Hyatt properties will extend Lounge benefits to the second room as well without having to use a CAA, so the interest can be limited. You can check with the Front Desk ahead of time what is their policy. It really depends on where you are staying, but if it's a property you stay at often, they are often happy to do so.

And yes, totally agree that Lounges in Asia are memorable.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.