Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
At this time, there are no changes to the Diamond Suite Upgrade policy. We are always evaluating the Hyatt Gold Passport program and benefits, and any changes would be communicated to members well in advance.
We've had no notification. I'm still relying on this statement.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:16 am

Ugh, I already have my eye on Aruba for April 2017. I was thinking I could use a 2016 DSU in March 2016 to book that as soon as it opens up. Now it looks like everything will expire by Feb 2017, and I'll miss my upgrade by 6 weeks. Phooey!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Ugh, I already have my eye on Aruba for April 2017. I was thinking I could use a 2016 DSU in March 2016 to book that as soon as it opens up. Now it looks like everything will expire by Feb 2017, and I'll miss my upgrade by 6 weeks. Phooey!
Yeah for this very reason it seems silly to prevent use past the end of that year. If the previous years expire end of Feb 2017, doesn't it mean that a reservation for March 1st 2017 could not be upgraded with a DSU until the new ones are issued that same day?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Looks like this web update is an "enhancement" in the Delta sense. Unfortunately the pending loss of SPG means that Hyatt will have lost its most direct competition so I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes like this coming.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ENIAC
Looks like this web update is an "enhancement" in the Delta sense. Unfortunately the pending loss of SPG means that Hyatt will have lost its most direct competition so I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes like this coming.
The merger cuts both ways. It may increase competitive pressures on Hyatt, as the much smaller footprint becomes an even greater competitive disadvantage compared to Marriott/Starwood, Hilton, and IHG. If Hyatt waters down Diamond, it is more likely to lose its high-value customers to one of the behemoths.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
This is similar to AA EXPs being able to use SWUs after expiration as long as upgrade inventory is available. Rumors has this will be taken away, but not yet. At least AA EXPs get new SWUs when they re-qualify throughout the year and do not have to wait until February. Hyatt probably should add DSUs when a diamond member re-qualifies.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Let's see...

Step 1: Give away Diamond Status like candy
Step 2: Attract hordes of people looking for Diamond freebies like DSUs
Step 3: Suite upgrade inventory dries up. Sr mgmt freaks out.
Step 4: Earlier expiration rolled out for DSUs to limit the hordes.
Step 5: Delay official announcement until after loyal Diamonds requalify for 2016.
Step 6: Hope/pray the freeloader hordes somehow convert into loyal customers to replace disgruntled Diamonds.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Rumor: Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

This sucks indeed, it's a change for the worse and not at all practical. At least now we know why they had to take the system down for several days. Are there more surprises ?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
My Hyatt contact told me that this system upgrade was rolled out to support a new system intended to allow more GP functionality at the property level. The website was (sadly) not a target for improvement for this release.

With respect to using DSUs for stays after expiration, I would point out that the current GP terms and conditions still explicitly allow this.

Originally Posted by banzani
This sucks indeed, it's a change for the worse and not at all practical. At least now we know why they had to take the system down for several days. Are there more surprises ?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by izzik
Let's see...

Step 1: Give away Diamond Status like candy
Step 2: Attract hordes of people looking for Diamond freebies like DSUs
Step 3: Suite upgrade inventory dries up. Sr mgmt freaks out.
Step 4: Earlier expiration rolled out for DSUs to limit the hordes.
Step 5: Delay official announcement until after loyal Diamonds requalify for 2016.
Step 6: Hope/pray the freeloader hordes somehow convert into loyal customers to replace disgruntled Diamonds.
I posted upthread how I felt the reason for doing this was to get all those DSUs out of the system as quickly as possible.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I posted upthread how I felt the reason for doing this was to get all those DSUs out of the system as quickly as possible.
You mean this is a bridge step towards removing DSU entirely on March 1 2017?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:46 pm

Not at all. It's a patch to get rid of all the DSUs in the system because of the match. Each person would have 8 to use at any time they liked in the next 14 months if they planned far enough in advance.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary fix, even though I rarely use all mine in any given year.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm hoping it's just a temporary fix, even though I rarely use all mine in any given year.
Since the staff now have to use a tricky, inconvenient workaround to provide the "normal" function, I would think that this change will be permanent.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:58 pm

Since the computers are still getting back to normal, I'm sure there are many hoops the staff has to use to get stuff to work for people.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Since the DSUs could never be applied on Hyatt.com, I can't see how the system maintenance and any change in DSU policy are related. Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.