Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm fine with the status quo, but I'd trade future booking for the ability to use DSUs on award reservations.
I'd be happy with that trade even if it were only at check-in, subject to availability.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Boghopper
There's no way they're answering that.
^

The Hyatt, now also Hilton status match is only the first ripple of future changes due to Marriott buying Starwood. I don't know what's next and am ready to adapt to any changes.

As far as using DSUs past expiry, I used 2 in 2015 past expiry and I've got one DSU that will expire in 2016. I don't know if I'll be able to use it due to lack of planned travel for early 2016 and expect to lose it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm fine with the status quo, but I'd trade future booking for the ability to use DSUs on award reservations.
Totally against this idea, esp given the reports of how properties are manipulating award buckets / rates.. I can see this being a fake "benefit" where actual availability of DSU-sponsored upgrades on awards are rare. Being able to use DSUs for reservations after expiration is somewhat immune to that kind of manipulation. (emphasis on "somewhat")
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
That's precisely what I don't want to happen. AFAIK properties aren't remunerated for the suite upgrade but at least they are getting significant revenue from the paid stay. + the DSU is driving business to their property instead of the competition, all else being equal.

Allow DSUs on award stays and you hugely increase the incentives for hotels to screw around with suite inventory.

In most cases it's not a big deal to book Points + Cash to be able to use the DSU...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
When I tried to apply a DSU to a reservation in May, I was told by Diamond Line person that there was no inventory available for DSU use.

When I followed up with HyattConcierge on Twitter, this is the response I received.

We have a new system which was preventing us from using the current awards past the expiration date. I have adjusted this reservation and new email confirmation has been sent to you.
So I am inclined to believe that this is NOT a rumor, and next year's DSUs will not be usable beyond February 2017.

Last edited by hailstorm; Dec 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional confirmation of impending policy change (no longer "rumor"):

In the future, this will be true. However, because terms and conditions for diamond members could not be updated in time, for 2016 you will be able to use 2015 DSU's in 2016. Internally there is a process we have to go through to issue the award. The same rules apply, that if you cancel the future reservation after 2/29/2016, you will loose the 2015 DSU award.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Additional confirmation of impending policy change
From whom?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
From whom?
HyattConcierge rep LM on Twitter.

You can wait for official confirmation if you like, but word from the trenches that the new system is designed to no longer accommodate this request is good enough for me.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hailstorm
HyattConcierge rep LM on Twitter.

You can wait for official confirmation if you like, but word from the trenches that the new system is designed to no longer accommodate this request is good enough for me.
Most unfortunate, but thank you for sharing hailstorm.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
It would be nice if the DSUs were issued at time of requalification rather than 3/1 in light of this policy change.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:14 am

I have a couple of DSU stays booked after Feb 2016. Under "My Awards" I can now see the following:
Your Suite Upgrade Awards are available to use on paid room nights at any participating Hyatt hotel or resort worldwide between now and February 29, 2016.
Further down it says:
Expiration: 26 Jun 2016
The date reflects the actual last night of my future DSU bookings. Before the website update the expiry date was Feb 2016. Looks as changes are coming...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
This would be a really unwelcome change. I tend to book my trips around a year out for the summer. Waiting till requal/reissue in Feb in order to book for June would pretty much guarantee suite space would be gone at a good number of properties.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:12 am

Yup. This change sucks.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have one DSU remaining which I will was planning to apply to a post Feb 2016 reservation and like the ability to roll it over so to speak (with the condition that is irrevocable). However, it did seem generous to allow such and so I can understand them rolling that back (which I am sure is not a popular opinion)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Miesque
I have one DSU remaining which I will was planning to apply to a post Feb 2016 reservation and like the ability to roll it over so to speak (with the condition that is irrevocable). However, it did seem generous to allow such and so I can understand them rolling that back (which I am sure is not a popular opinion)
Agreed to a certain extent but if you want to apply a DSU to a reservation right after the expiration date, say 3/15, you wouldn't be able to use it until after the "new" set is issued around 3/1 by which time the suite could be gone. This is a major downgrade IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.