FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1729067-diamond-suite-upgrades-may-not-usable-stays-past-their-expiration-date.html)

Stripy Dec 4, 2015 9:17 am

Diamond Suite Upgrades May Not Be Usable For Stays Past Their Expiration Date

A blogger has posted (here) details of a conversation he had with a GP customer services person who indicated that, from 2016 onwards (DSUs that expire in Feb 2017), the upgrades will soon have to be booked and used before the February expiration date.

Is this something a front-line GP representative would know about or could this just be a case of a rep make up an answer (for whatever reason)?

rbw5t Dec 4, 2015 9:28 am

Hyatt, say it ain't so!

Mary2e Dec 4, 2015 9:45 am

I'm thinking this is to get rid of some of the DSUs out there due to the twitter status match and am all for it.

Note that for the last several years I've benefited from this. In some cases I used them and in others, I had to make a change and lost it.

Gold Passport Concierge Dec 4, 2015 9:56 am

At this time, there are no changes to the Diamond Suite Upgrade policy. We are always evaluating the Hyatt Gold Passport program and benefits, and any changes would be communicated to members well in advance.

Stripy Dec 4, 2015 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge (Post 25813082)
At this time, there are no changes to the Diamond Suite Upgrade policy. We are always evaluating the Hyatt Gold Passport program and benefits, and any changes would be communicated to members well in advance.

Thanks very much for replying so quickly.

At the risk of sounding like I'm playing with semantics (and I'm genuinely not) your statement doesn't go as far as saying that this change isn't in the pipeline. It just confirms that, if there were to be any changes, they would be announced well in advance (which is always appreciated).

So, can you say if this is a change that's being considered?

Boghopper Dec 4, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Stripy (Post 25813209)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge

Thanks very much for replying so quickly.

At the risk of sounding like I'm playing with semantics (and I'm genuinely not) your statement doesn't go as far as saying that this change isn't in the pipeline. It just confirms that, if there were to be any changes, they would be announced well in advance (which is always appreciated).

So, can you say if this is a change that's being considered?

There's no way they're answering that.

christine Dec 4, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 25813010)
I'm thinking this is to get rid of some of the DSUs out there due to the twitter status match and am all for it.

Note that for the last several years I've benefited from this. In some cases I used them and in others, I had to make a change and lost it.

I heard about this change well before the twitter match.

Mary2e Dec 4, 2015 1:57 pm

Perhaps they were tossing it around and it got some traction after the twitter match, which is why the rep repeated it.

It's not something they would just pull out of their hats... someone is talking about it.

FriendlySkies Dec 4, 2015 3:22 pm

That would be a disappointment for those of us who earn Diamond the hard way. I've only been able to use one DSU in 2015. :(

Still not sure why they gave away all the DSUs with the Twitter match. Didn't they learn enough from the previous program that it was a bad idea?

Mary2e Dec 4, 2015 3:26 pm

When they gave away the DSUs it was for a diamond challenge. People accepted the challenge and voile, they were diamonds with all the perks, including DSUs. They got to keep them even if they never completed the challenge.

The second version was to give a challenge of 12 nights and then give status and DSUs. That was a lot better.

What this is is a status match - which, IMHO, was intended only for those with high status at other chains with no other restrictions. I don't have a problem with the intent one bit. High elites at other chains should be their target audience. Not people who grab what they can and move on to the next program.

akcae Dec 4, 2015 6:26 pm

This would be a disappointing devaluation to one of the greatest benefits of the greatest hotel loyalty program. When most of your stays are at a Hyatt Place or House without suites, it's difficult to use them all before expiration. At least if they can be applied to a future reservation, an occasional vacation trip with the family is guaranteed to be comfortable. Often when its me, my wife and the kids, and the choice is between Hyatt Place or House for $99 or Regency or Grand w/DSU for $200+, I'd pick the higher priced hotel for the added comfort/service of a suite and club lounge. DSUs aren't just a nice perk, they drive revenue.

aschuett Dec 4, 2015 6:58 pm

This would be a disappointment indeed. Especially since I'm already in the habit of booking the big trips with the Mrs. about a year in advance. Since hotels are closely coordinated with flights, this would be a very limiting change, and make my newly-matched Hilton status a bit less unattractive.

AA_EXP09 Dec 4, 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 25813010)

Which would be fine, as I have already used all of mine (20+ nights, all paid in advance.)

AA_EXP09 Dec 4, 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aschuett (Post 25815908)
This would be a disappointment indeed. Especially since I'm already in the habit of booking the big trips with the Mrs. about a year in advance. Since hotels are closely coordinated with flights, this would be a very limiting change, and make my newly-matched Hilton status a bit less unattractive.

Not really-I might try and wait for lucrative airbnb discounts.
(or use points.)

dtremit Dec 8, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm fine with the status quo, but I'd trade future booking for the ability to use DSUs on award reservations.