Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Does anyone know on what day of the week the hotel has fancy seafoods at their buffet restaurant? I remember on one day while we were there last year, the buffet had crab legs, claims, oyster, etc. We like good seafoods and don't want to miss it this year . Thanks.
danbnash likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Does anyone know on what day of the week the hotel has fancy seafoods at their buffet restaurant? I remember on one day while we were there last year, the buffet had crab legs, claims, oyster, etc. We like good seafoods and don't want to miss it this year . Thanks.
They have seafood every day. No set schedule for what is featured each day. Also varies by season and availability.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

They have seafood every day. No set schedule for what is featured each day. Also varies by season and availability.
They do have normal seafood (fish, shrimp, calamari) everyday. They definitely did not have crab legs, oysters, prawns, everyday while we were there last year .
Old May 4, 2019, 6:10 am

We just got back a week ago. Only thing I can add is that
​​​​​It seemed to be a trend that when the Asian restaurant was closed (1x per week) quite a bit more Asian offerings were at the buffet. I think it was a Wed night. Maybe. When Italian restaurant was closed (1x per week), quite a bit more Italian offerings were at the buffet. That was a Monday night. I think.

Not an exact answer to your question, but a little 411 for this thread
levilevi, asdfghjk and danbnash like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
We are waffling between Andaz Mayakoba, Baha Mar, and Ziva. We've crossed Baha Mar off because the suite upgraded rooms are capped at 2 people, and we've got seven people going.

Given the amount of money we'll spend at Makakoba on food, it would practically pay for one room at Ziva and then we'll use points for the other room.

We have four adults and three kids (6, 6, and 5) spread across two rooms. If we get the TSU suite at Ziva with another room, it should hold the seven of us.

We did Ziva Cabo a couple of years ago and liked it, and most everyone here seems to feel ZIva Cancun is better than Ziva Cabo,

Andaz Mayakoba likely will be more "chill" and relaxed than Ziva, and my wife is worried that Ziva will be full of families with teens since school is out for summer and will generally be more chaotic than Mayakoba.

The trip is planned for July 13-20, which would be prime family vacation time.

While it certainly will be busier and more crowded than Mayakoba, none of the reviews suggest chaos at Ziva either.

How busy/crowded/chaotic is it during the middle of the summer?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:47 pm

Ziva never feels crowded, even at capacity. So don’t worry you won’t feel over-run with other guests / kids. The property is HUGE and well spread out.

You can always do (2) nights at Mayakoba and (5) at Ziva. Very different experiences. And you are right Mayakoba is much more laid back and less things to do onsite. But I do feel Mayakoba is worth visiting. It’s a stunning property located inside a beautiful private complex. Personally I would visit it more often but all 3 times that I have visited it, baby lizards have been spotted inside our suites at night and I’m not a fan of all that so now I just stay away. It’s very sad but it’s a problem that they fail to address.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
We are waffling between Andaz Mayakoba, Baha Mar, and Ziva. We've crossed Baha Mar off because the suite upgraded rooms are capped at 2 people, and we've got seven people going.

Given the amount of money we'll spend at Makakoba on food, it would practically pay for one room at Ziva and then we'll use points for the other room.

We have four adults and three kids (6, 6, and 5) spread across two rooms. If we get the TSU suite at Ziva with another room, it should hold the seven of us.

We did Ziva Cabo a couple of years ago and liked it, and most everyone here seems to feel ZIva Cancun is better than Ziva Cabo,

Andaz Mayakoba likely will be more "chill" and relaxed than Ziva, and my wife is worried that Ziva will be full of families with teens since school is out for summer and will generally be more chaotic than Mayakoba.

The trip is planned for July 13-20, which would be prime family vacation time.

While it certainly will be busier and more crowded than Mayakoba, none of the reviews suggest chaos at Ziva either.

How busy/crowded/chaotic is it during the middle of the summer?
Never experienced any issues with crowds at Ziva. The facilities were designed for a lot more rooms than currently exist (there were plans for another big tower/hundreds more rooms - now thankfully shelved).

For the TSU suite at Ziva.... get a CORNER SUITE in the CLUB TOWER. Trust me, you'll be glad you did..... with the adjoining room it will feel like a private floor. The Pyramid Suite is just OK.

If I were you, with a week to play with, I'd do a split stay. Ziva + Playa area (either Mayacoba or GH) are two very different experiences.... plus I really find 3 nights at the Ziva to be optimal in terms of getting the most out of it, not getting bored, not spending lots of time away (which feels like a waste to me when your at an all-inclusive). Down at Playa you have tons of other fun stuff to do and since it's NOT all inclusive, you don't feel chained to the hotel...

Finally - I've said it already but I would strongly recommend the Grand Hyatt Playa. To me, it's nicer than Mayacoba but certainly in a more urban sense. If you want faux wilderness, then Mayacoba all the way. If you want lots of super cool shops, restaurants, culture, entertainment, and yet still in a wonderful and relaxing environment (and everything within walking distance) than the GH simply can't be beat...plus an excellent club lounge. Keep in mind you'll be pretty isolated at Mayacoba, and to me it feels like a high-end condo or timeshare. GH is near breathtaking in terms of architecture, great service, and KILLER TSU Ocean Front suites (you won't get that at Mayacoba, either, in fact you'll be lucky to be within walking distance of the beach).

Bliss to me = 3-4 days at Grand Hyatt exploring shops, going to an "X" park, and being a bit more active (but don't forget the amazing spa area) THEN 3 days of total relaxation at the Ziva... w/Ocean FRONT suites at both locations... but hey, just one opinion...
levilevi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
For the TSU suite at Ziva.... get a CORNER SUITE in the CLUB TOWER. Trust me, you'll be glad you did..... with the adjoining room it will feel like a private floor. The Pyramid Suite is just OK...
The corner suite and adjoining room would be spectacular, but the Pyramid Suite is the only one that allows 5 people, and we've got three kids with us.

I guess conceivably, if we got the corner suite with an adjoining room, we could technically have the third kid in the adjoining room, which might not necessarily be where he sleeps.

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any corner suites available while we are there, but between my concierge and the room manager, maybe we can figure something out as we get closer.

I do agree that heading down to Playa for a couple of days would be good, but with kids age 6, 6, and 4, they are unmoved by cool architecture, shops, culture, and atmosphere. The pools at Playa (at least in the pictures), look a little less kid friendly than those at Ziva.

If it were just the adults or even teenagers, I think splitting the trip would be cool, but with the little ones, it may just not be worth the hassle.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
The corner suite and adjoining room would be spectacular, but the Pyramid Suite is the only one that allows 5 people, and we've got three kids with us.

I guess conceivably, if we got the corner suite with an adjoining room, we could technically have the third kid in the adjoining room, which might not necessarily be where he sleeps.

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any corner suites available while we are there, but between my concierge and the room manager, maybe we can figure something out as we get closer.

I do agree that heading down to Playa for a couple of days would be good, but with kids age 6, 6, and 4, they are unmoved by cool architecture, shops, culture, and atmosphere. The pools at Playa (at least in the pictures), look a little less kid friendly than those at Ziva.

If it were just the adults or even teenagers, I think splitting the trip would be cool, but with the little ones, it may just not be worth the hassle.
Understood. Keep in mind the pools at Andaz are pretty basic. Two lagoon-style pools and not much else. One is fairly large but the other (by the beach) isn’t anything very special. The Grand Hyatt has approximately seven pools, two of which are infinity pools with beach views, and others are small “splash” style pools under the giant bridge. There’s even some wading pools. Bottom line: I would definitely not consider the Andaz pools to be any nicer or more elaborate than the GH ones.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Are you considering the kids surcharge fee at the ziva in your computations?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Are you considering the kids surcharge fee at the ziva in your computations?
Yep, paying cash for the room with the kids and then points for the room with the adults gets to a little over $700 a night (plus the points). The point surcharge for kids at Ziva Cancun is nutty (just get a second room if you are spending the points), and with three kids, it is even worse.

Seven people at Mayakoba or GH would churn through a fair amount of cash per day, even with the big breakfast in Mayakoba and the lounge at the GH.
Checking the menu at Mayakoba and its isolation, I think we'd pretty easily spend $400 to $500 a day on food for the seven of us, and two margaritas per day per for the four adults is going to be over $100 a day, and I can happily knock through more than two margaritas and other drinks per day on vacation.
The lounge at the GH seems great, but my wife and kids never find what they want in the lounge for daytime snacks or in the evenings to make a light meal (they all are, nicely phrased, particular eaters), so we'd be paying a fair amount for food and drinks there too.

Even at something like Coconut Point last year (that has a lounge that generally works for us), we were pretty easily going through $300 to $400 a day for seven people with lunches by the pool and dinner out, and the food prices in Florida prices are substantially cheaper than Mayakoba.

The money is not going to break the bank, but this is our "cheap" vacation each year that I try to do on points and frequent flyer miles for the extended family, so I'm a little more sensitive to costs than normal. I could use all the points for two rooms in Mayakoba plus the money for food, or pay for one room at Ziva with the kids (saving those points) and using points for the second room. The balance tips to Ziva.

I would go to the GH in a heartbeat. The cash costs for the rooms is very reasonable and the points are a steal, but being closer to Playa is unappealing to my wife and lost on my kids.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:17 am

Arriving next week with a toddler in tow. What's the best way to get to the hotel? I got an email from the hyatt staff offering special airport shuttle - RT $165. I'm SURE there are better options.

For those with little ones, did you travel with a car seat or did airport transportation come with a car seat to use?

Looking forward to relaxing. For those picky eaters (we are a paleo/pescatarian household), what are the goto places to eat?

TIA
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Arriving next week with a toddler in tow. What's the best way to get to the hotel? I got an email from the hyatt staff offering special airport shuttle - RT $165. I'm SURE there are better options.

For those with little ones, did you travel with a car seat or did airport transportation come with a car seat to use?

Looking forward to relaxing. For those picky eaters (we are a paleo/pescatarian household), what are the goto places to eat?

TIA
We used USA transfers and you can request a car seat for no extra charge. We found them to be very good (prompt, clean and friendly). I think the return rate to Ziva was around $60.

For food, I can't remember the name, but the steakhouse in the restaurant close to the adults and club tower is very good. I think it was the best of the a la carte restaurants. The buffet was also fairly expansive for both breakfast, lunches dinners, so you can probably find something for even the most picky eaters to eat.
gumercindo and levilevi like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Second USA transfers... used them twice roundtrip in the last few years... friendly, efficient, on time both ways... CUN arrivals can be a zoo, and they make sure to tell you exactly how to find them, and its spot on. I think $60 USD is right...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:21 am

USA Transfers or Canada Transfers are good choices. Prompt, friendly service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.