Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Some ambient bass and music in the background during the day is going to be an issue at lots of urban-ish Mexican resorts. Either go with it or don’t go.

Also... never seen the pools all that crowded. They do have like four pools facing the beach! The smaller ones are often empty!
“Ambient” bass and “background” music isn’t exactly how I would describe the scene on a Friday or Saturday around Coralina or the northern half of the “bridge” rooms. And definitely not for the rooms directly above Coralina. I agree it’s not like that every day - but if you’re there for a weekend trip then it’ll be loud (and a little obnoxious) for most of your stay.

Regarding the pools - I agree the pools aren’t ever all that busy from the perspective of number of people in the water. But the deck chairs (and lack thereof, with space instead given to paid cabanas) is an issue. It’s gotten a bit better lately now that the beach is back and they’ve rebuilt the decks that are between pool level and beach level, but there still seems to be a disproportionate amount of space being given to (paid) cabanas vs (free) deck chairs.
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
“Ambient” bass and “background” music isn’t exactly how I would describe the scene on a Friday or Saturday around Coralina or the northern half of the “bridge” rooms. And definitely not for the rooms directly above Coralina. I agree it’s not like that every day - but if you’re there for a weekend trip then it’ll be loud (and a little obnoxious) for most of your stay.

Regarding the pools - I agree the pools aren’t ever all that busy from the perspective of number of people in the water. But the deck chairs (and lack thereof, with space instead given to paid cabanas) is an issue. It’s gotten a bit better lately now that the beach is back and they’ve rebuilt the decks that are between pool level and beach level, but there still seems to be a disproportionate amount of space being given to (paid) cabanas vs (free) deck chairs.
Yes I’ll agree the proliferation of paid seating is annoying and I think they have overreached. It’s the same issue at Ziva. BUT the reason is they are dying financially.... hopefully when/if things return to normal some of this will be dialed back.

As for noise, it’s a urban location and should be compared to Waikiki or Miami Beach. If one finds those places unacceptable then they should probably avoid this property. It’s NOT the place to go for quiet solitude. But if you like urban energy, urban charm, very interesting architecture, lots of shops/restaurants nearby, people watching, and a good (but not great by Riviera Maya high standards) beach then this hotel rocks. The architecture alone is worth a visit....
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The pools were absolutely packed - like every chaise full - when we visited on Jan. 3. They're not particularly well spaced, either.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The pools were absolutely packed - like every chaise full - when we visited on Jan. 3. They're not particularly well spaced, either.
Strange. I’ve never experienced this in a half dozen pre-Covid visits.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ive had a few pre and mid COVID visits and I’ve also never seen the pools themselves to be packed, but I’d guess New Years weekend this year was probably particularly busy.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Were you on property on Jan. 3?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:05 am

Upgrades beyond Grand Suite

Has anybody had experience of getting an upgrade here beyond a Grand Suite (as a Globalist, without a TSU)?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Nope, still a Grand Suite on the bridge. Was thinking once reached lifetime Diamond (aka Glob) on our second stay something nicer will be available. I was wrong. No complementary spa access either unless your rate come with spa access or you pay the daily spa access rate for the semi-warm hot tub and out of order steam room.

Is it me or am I missing something here? Why would anyone use 25K points here when you can book at Ziva/Zilara for the same amount of points with food and drinks?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 168
Nope, still a Grand Suite on the bridge. Was thinking once reached lifetime Diamond (aka Glob) on our second stay something nicer will be available. I was wrong. No complementary spa access either unless your rate come with spa access or you pay the daily spa access rate for the semi-warm hot tub and out of order steam room.

Is it me or am I missing something here? Why would anyone use 25K points here when you can book at Ziva/Zilara for the same amount of points with food and drinks?
Or the Ritz-Carlton at $310!
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:13 pm

Has anybody had experience of getting an upgrade here beyond a Grand Suite (as a Globalist, without a TSU)?
No and I think it’s very unlikely. If you want it offer them $75/night and I bet they’d accept. The Grand Suites are very nice, however.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 168

I love Ziva but this hotel is a completely different experience. Especially when the club is fully functional there is a somewhat inclusive element to it with a very nice breakfast and evening spread (including cocktails) which make for a realistic dinner replacement. The location in Playa is also wonderful for those that enjoy a more urban setting.

In normal times, especially for a Glob with club access, I think it is worth 25k a night or $500/night -esp if you wind up in an ocean front suite.

When you can stay there for $250/night then it’s obviously not a good value.

It used to be a great value with points and cash and when/if they implement the previously announced change to throttle the cash component it could be a good value again...
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:33 pm

No and I think it’s very unlikely. If you want it offer them $75/night and I bet they’d accept. The Grand Suites are very nice, however.
Totally agree, the Grand Suites are great (as long as you’re not directly beside / above the beach club).

I was mainly just curious since I’ve had a few stays in the Grand Suites and at the time they weren’t even showing up as available for cash. Similarly there were no premium suites showing available either. Now i can see that both Grand Suites and premium suites are showing up with cash rates which made me wonder if they ever upgrade Globalists beyond the Grand Suite when capacity is low and there’s space available.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:47 pm

Totally agree, the Grand Suites are great (as long as you’re not directly beside / above the beach club).

I was mainly just curious since I’ve had a few stays in the Grand Suites and at the time they weren’t even showing up as available for cash. Similarly there were no premium suites showing available either. Now i can see that both Grand Suites and premium suites are showing up with cash rates which made me wonder if they ever upgrade Globalists beyond the Grand Suite when capacity is low and there’s space available.
I think they'd want some $$. Like most things in Mexico, I suspect further upgrades are very negotiable. Out of respect, I'd at least offer $75/night. The premium suites there look to be worth more than that.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
On my first visit I was upgraded to one of their Executive Suite Kings on the corner opposite the day club. It’s much nicer than the Standard bridge or Swim up suites. I basically talked my way into it by chatting up the club manager. I’ve been back 2 other times and no luck getting suite upgraded since the first visit.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Restaurant quality

Booked a Prive stay for our honeymoon this Fall via bcosinteno for 8 nights.
(edit: I should mention, there's rate for 4th night free which makes this resort a steal)
Currently an Explorist but will be Globalist by the time I check-in.

As some background, I'm a bit of a "foodie", not necessarily into expensive dinners, but I do appreciate the culinary arts to an extent. I am very interested in visiting the local restaurants many here have recommended (e.g. La Brocherie, La Cueva, Piola, etc.) This is also why I didn't book the Ziva, they're about quantity over quality by design. Nothing wrong with that, but for a honeymoon I wanted something a little more special and thought out.

However, the GH PDC has offered an "all-inclusive" option with very few restrictions for a very good price. But from reviews on TripAdvisor and comments here, I'm skeptical that the food from the restaurants at the resort won't get boring, and reviews seem generally underwhelming. And the food is graciously overpriced at the cash rate (mind you, I'm a native Spanish speaker who's visited other parts of Mexico). Every drink I see goes for approximately $10USD. I am mostly leaning to the all-inclusive option because we are heavy drinkers, and cocktails always seem to disappear while in my hands. If the food is any good, then that will settle this for me. Keep in mind I will be a globalist (club access) and on a Prive rate (breakfast included).

Thoughts on the restaurant food here? Namely, did you get bored of the menu? Does it change with the seasons?

Thanks!

Last edited by kevinjm; Mar 25, 2021 at 5:05 pm Reason: Adding note regarding Prive rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.