Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sockster
Just finished reading your report. EXCELLENT JOB!! We opted to cancel Zilara Rose Hall, and went to the adults only Zilara Cancun, which was quite wonderful!!
We're tempted to do that as we're supposed to go in a couple weeks...unfortunately it doesn't appear that points rooms are available at Cancun, so we may be stuck. It also sounds like Hyatt doesn't care...even legitimate complaints from Diamond members.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by itsamechristine
I figured since I had to write a review to my travel agent, I would just copy and paste it into here and add a few more tips. I know that this forum really helped me set my expectations for the trip and reviewing them while on-site provided me with much entertainment. So here ya go!

We were very disappointed to say the least. Upon arrival we were given a room on the "Zilara side" which I put in quotes because all signs stated Ziva (family side), it was connected to the Ziva building and overlooked the Ziva pool area. When we checked in, I mentioned that it was our honeymoon and the front desk attendant said that she would upgrade us and try to do something special for our trip. Apparently that upgrade included a view of the kids pool. Our room was in the old Ritz building and was not updated minus the paint, which had been dripped onto our comforter. After a few days of kids screaming at the pool and running up and down the hallways, we asked to be moved to a different room. We had met a guy who was checking out that day and told us to tell them we knew he was leaving and to give us his room as it was the same room type. The front desk attendant told us to come back in 10 minutes which turned into a half an hour and then to check out time so they could see how many rooms would be available. This had us scratching our heads since their computer system should have this information. We came back at 12:30 and she told us she was trying to get us in today but that she had no update. We told her not to even worry about it since others had been getting the same round about response and we didn't want to waste anymore of our time with these "check ins".

Our biggest complaint would have to be the false advertising of an "adults only experience". Throughout our entire trip, there was no means of separating the two sides. The concierge even admitted that they have no system in place to filter the kids out of the adults side. Which makes me wonder what all the security guards were doing. Everyday there were families camped out on the adults only side of the beach because theirs was not large enough to accommodate them. All but two restaurants are on the family side of the resort, including the only advertised adults only restaurant, Petit Pariz (which only had 18 tables and the night we ate in there had two children in there). All of the entertainment was also located on the family side. The Zilara side of the hotel was dead almost every night with nothing to attract guests to stay there. The lobby bar was nothing more than a place to give guests drinks while they complained. Sitting there listening to guests chew out hotel staff about not having their room ready at 9 pm isn't exactly a reason to stick around. The only late night bar (and consequently the only one with working TVs --well 1 working tv out of 7 in the room) was the sports bar that was located on the Ziva side and had children sitting at the bar every night. We attempted to endure the "kids disco" and karaoke in order to see if it would clear out and become a more adult experience but never made it and ended up just going back to our room. We were also informed that adults only was considered 16 and up until 2015 which might explain why 15 year olds were getting served at the bars on a regular basis. The day time activities are also on the Ziva side so you have to compete with children to use any of the water sports, ping pong tables, dart boards, etc. While their side had a DJ everyday, a Zilara guest plugged his own phone into the single speaker at the pool to avoid the same playlist we had been listening to for 4 days straight.

The other major factor was that the hotel simply wasn't complete or ready for guests. Every single day shared restrooms were out of order whether that be by the pool, in restaurants, the hotel lobby, etc causing men and women to have to share the same restroom and most days the same stall. The day we checked in, I had to use the men's restroom and another woman that was in there said, "welcome, this won't be your last time". The gift/convenience store was a joke. Not only did they have a limited amount of items guests would actually need (instead of tourist trinkets) there was no system in place for them to charge it to your room or a way for them to track inventory. They were writing paper tickets of what items guests were purchasing. The emergency alarms went off several times during dinner, while we were at the pool and at 9AM one day waking up many guests. There were holes in doors, ceilings with exposed leaking pipes, signs dangling from the ceiling, landscaping that was botched, construction still occurring, exposed wiring, hot tubs were never hot and the list goes on and on.

The only saving grace for this resort is the staff and the food. (Except for the time there was a rock in my husband's breakfast and when we notified our waitress she didn't really say much or get a manager to come apologize). The staff really went above and beyond to get people what they needed when it came to the restaurants. They would go to different bars to get specific liquor and they would accommodate my nut allergy problems. The staff at the front desk was polite and understanding, however, their hands were tied by poor management. The pool servers (or I guess they call them butlers) and bartenders are simply the best. They are always smiling and entertaining. You MUST try a dirty banana for it is the best way to start your day. If you want to get away from children at dinner-time, Horizons seemed to be your best bet and their food is phenomenal.

My advice would be to go in with low expectations and know that everyone has had a different experience. While we didn't have anything major happen like some other folks (even on our plane, someone didn't get a room assignment till 9 at night). It definitely is not what we paid for nor the experience we were expecting. Also, go reserve your chair at the pool early. We got up at 7AM every day and people were already out there choosing seats. The pool is definitely better than the beach.

I hope that this was helpful. If anyone has any questions or wants clarification on any details, please let me know! I'm happy to help!
Excellent, HONEST review sans cheerleading. Thank you! I'm hoping reviews like this that are honest help me temper my expectations. I dislike loud, rowdy children so I'll try Horizons! Although I don't think my time being there should have too many kids but we shall see. I have no problem disciplining other peoples kids if they don't but it's not how I want to spend my vacation. Also I'll be sure to get my pool chair early. Was there an extra charge for a cabana? Could you just lay your things on an unclaimed one and that was good enough?

To those saying that certain things 'shouldn't' ruin someone's vacation how dare you. You have no idea what is important to people on vacation. If you purchase an advertised vacation you have absolutely no reason to expect and accept less than what you purchased. Ever. Some people will vacation and have the attitude of 'the food was ok, but I'm happy because I didn't have to cook or clean!' and for me that is just not an acceptable thing. I expect dining and accommodations to be as advertised. Luckily it seems most people have enjoyed the food here. And since when I purchased I was not given a disclaimer that this would be a 'soft opening' which EVERY SINGLE restaurant or resort alerts people to (they don't just put out an inferior product and expect cheerleaders to say 'but hey, they just opened! It's a soft opening even though they did not advertise it that way so you could make an informed consumer decision) when booking I will complain and be sure to review very honestly on every forum I am a member of. That kind of feedback is the only way to fix the problem. Hopefully they will still be giving compensation if my room and vacation are not what I purchased.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Ritz/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by bmrisko
We're tempted to do that as we're supposed to go in a couple weeks...unfortunately it doesn't appear that points rooms are available at Cancun, so we may be stuck. It also sounds like Hyatt doesn't care...even legitimate complaints from Diamond members.
FWIW, you might want to contact Playa Resorts- who actually own the hotels. Good Luck!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
My wife and I waited too long to pull the trigger and change to cancun zilara. (The airfare is now $300 more per person and we have to add an extra $75-100 for transfers which is too much extra for a three day getaway.)

So we are going to make the best of things. We've been in touch with the property and have requested a room in building 4 to try to assure ourselves of a quiet, peaceful rooms without children nearby. Nothing was promised but they said they would try, which is something. We are also hopeful that this will get us a bed that won't aggravate my back and a functioning a/c unit.

Some questions for those who stayed on the zilara side:

(1) was management, including Mr. Hendrickson, the gm, accessible to address concerns? What is the best way to contact him? Was he on property on the weekend?

(2) does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on how to get a room if check in is delayed, as it sometimes seems to be?

(3) same as (2) on getting a new room after check in, if initial room is unacceptable?

(4) I'm very bad at using twitter but would it help to contact hyatt's twitter team if things don't go well while we are on property?

(5) is it worth it to ask for a paid upgrade to bldg 4? Has anyone done this? Any idea how much it would cost and whether it would be granted/guaranteed in advance?

(6) is there anyone higher up at playa we can contact to try to get a better experience?

(7) any other tips to have concerns addressed quickly on property--other than pray?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can offer and if anyone would rather not share on the open board, I promise to keep any info shared via pm confidential. I am hoping for the best and will post my experience when I return...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Originally Posted by NE flier
My wife and I waited too long to pull the trigger and change to cancun zilara. (The airfare is now $300 more per person and we have to add an extra $75-100 for transfers which is too much extra for a three day getaway.)

So we are going to make the best of things. We've been in touch with the property and have requested a room in building 4 to try to assure ourselves of a quiet, peaceful rooms without children nearby. Nothing was promised but they said they would try, which is something. We are also hopeful that this will get us a bed that won't aggravate my back and a functioning a/c unit.

Some questions for those who stayed on the zilara side:

(1) was management, including Mr. Hendrickson, the gm, accessible to address concerns? What is the best way to contact him? Was he on property on the weekend?

(2) does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on how to get a room if check in is delayed, as it sometimes seems to be?

(3) same as (2) on getting a new room after check in, if initial room is unacceptable?

(4) I'm very bad at using twitter but would it help to contact hyatt's twitter team if things don't go well while we are on property?

(5) is it worth it to ask for a paid upgrade to bldg 4? Has anyone done this? Any idea how much it would cost and whether it would be granted/guaranteed in advance?

(6) is there anyone higher up at playa we can contact to try to get a better experience?

(7) any other tips to have concerns addressed quickly on property--other than pray?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can offer and if anyone would rather not share on the open board, I promise to keep any info shared via pm confidential. I am hoping for the best and will post my experience when I return...
It seems like you've done all you can. The property will accommodate you if they have availability. If they don't, I'm not sure what you want them to do. You can complain but all you will get are apologies. Having said that, go into it like you would any other vacation and don't let the details that may or may not happen derail a wonderful time.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:00 am

Hi all. As promised I scanned the Zilara room service menu. It's in PDF. How can I share it here? I'm new to this forum... Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:20 am

I just noticed this from my reservation...sounds like they aren't quite adhering to this yet.

HYATT ZILARA ROSE H. IS AN ADULT ONLY ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT. CHILDREN
UNDER THE AGE OF 16 ARE NOT ALLOWED AT THE PROPERTY. PLEASE CONFIRM
THE RESERVATION IS FOR THE NUMBER OF GUEST STAYING IN THE ROOM. IN
ALL-INCLUSIVE RESORTS THE ROOM RATE CHANGES ACCORDING TO THE NUMBER OF
GUEST.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I just noticed this from my reservation...sounds like they aren't quite adhering to this yet.

HYATT ZILARA ROSE H. IS AN ADULT ONLY ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT. CHILDREN
UNDER THE AGE OF 16 ARE NOT ALLOWED AT THE PROPERTY. PLEASE CONFIRM
THE RESERVATION IS FOR THE NUMBER OF GUEST STAYING IN THE ROOM. IN
ALL-INCLUSIVE RESORTS THE ROOM RATE CHANGES ACCORDING TO THE NUMBER OF
GUEST.
I think that they recently increased the age to 18. However, these policies are meaningless if they are not enforced and/or if Ziva and Zilara guests are housed in the same building (just on different sides of the corridor.). Here again it would be helpful to have some clarification from Hyatt. There are conflicting reports on this forum and one does not know which are correct.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:42 pm

For a hotel that normally will charge about $1000 a night this place sounds like absolute GARBAGE. I mean we are talking $1000 USD per night!!! That is on par with some of best hotels in the world and this place sounds terrible. In my opinion you people are not getting mad enough. This place is a complete scam and i see people making excuses for Hyatt. You can't just steal people's money like this and give them a garbage stressful experience. Complete fraud!!!

Get angrier people. Do not be shy. Do not be afraid. Complain! This is YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY and you should have gotten a WORLD CLASS EXPERIENCE. Not this pathetic excuse for a resort.

Keep complaining!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
I had a great time Jan 9th to Jan 12th. I stayed on the Ziva side with my wife and kid. To be honest, even if we didn't bring our kid, I would still choose ziva. Ziva is where 80% of the restaurants are and all the entertainment. The food is good, not as spectacular as others have posted. I went to couples Negril 8 years ago, now they had spectacular food and it was couples only not just adults only. Anyway the thing that stood out to me most were that the beach is non functional but way better than zilara side and the pools are ice cold. We swam anyway because of our 6 year old but it was a process for me. The good, I have never had more attentive service. The waitresses were swarming. It may have been that the hotel was less than half full but still it was pretty great. I also liked that they called the morning before to set up airport transportation. loved the hotel personally, but I only paid 176/night. Little things would bug me more had I paid the 600 or more per night they were asking. I used points for my wife and I and we paid cash for the kid. TLDR, Hotel was great and relaxing, but totally not worth $600 - $1,200 a night with So So food and no beach
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by phdtomd
I had a great time Jan 9th to Jan 12th. I stayed on the Ziva side with my wife and kid. To be honest, even if we didn't bring our kid, I would still choose ziva. Ziva is where 80% of the restaurants are and all the entertainment. The food is good, not as spectacular as others have posted. I went to couples Negril 8 years ago, now they had spectacular food and it was couples only not just adults only. Anyway the thing that stood out to me most were that the beach is non functional but way better than zilara side and the pools are ice cold. We swam anyway because of our 6 year old but it was a process for me. The good, I have never had more attentive service. The waitresses were swarming. It may have been that the hotel was less than half full but still it was pretty great. I also liked that they called the morning before to set up airport transportation. loved the hotel personally, but I only paid 176/night. Little things would bug me more had I paid the 600 or more per night they were asking. I used points for my wife and I and we paid cash for the kid. TLDR, Hotel was great and relaxing, but totally not worth $600 - $1,200 a night with So So food and no beach
Thank you for the feedback!

But Hyatt points also have a value. Assuming a 1.5 cent value and 25000 pts/night, that's $375/nt. So you still ended up paying quite a bit.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rocklline
For a hotel that normally will charge about $1000 a night this place sounds like absolute GARBAGE. I mean we are talking $1000 USD per night!!! That is on par with some of best hotels in the world and this place sounds terrible. In my opinion you people are not getting mad enough. This place is a complete scam and i see people making excuses for Hyatt. You can't just steal people's money like this and give them a garbage stressful experience. Complete fraud!!!

Get angrier people. Do not be shy. Do not be afraid. Complain! This is YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY and you should have gotten a WORLD CLASS EXPERIENCE. Not this pathetic excuse for a resort.

Keep complaining!!!!
I Agree completely. We are not putting enough pressure on Hyatt or Playa to FINISH THE JOB. My stay is next week for six days and basically stuck with this place because I booked nonrefundable flights and Iberostar is all booked. Based on reviews, I feel like the 50% rates I booked is still a rip off. Frankly, I rather pay 100% and have this place meet 100% of my expectations than pay 50% and have it meet only 50% of my expectations. Doubt much will change by next week
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I Agree completely. We are not putting enough pressure on Hyatt or Playa to FINISH THE JOB. My stay is next week for six days and basically stuck with this place because I booked nonrefundable flights and Iberostar is all booked. Based on reviews, I feel like the 50% rates I booked is still a rip off. Frankly, I rather pay 100% and have this place meet 100% of my expectations than pay 50% and have it meet only 50% of my expectations. Doubt much will change by next week
Let it be said there are those who strongly disagree with the above. I was there there the first week it opened and yes there were issues, but the property is not the horror story that some portray. I've been fortunate to stay in the best in the Caribbean (my favorites are Viceroy on Anguilla and the Resort at Canouan) and while this Hyatt might not be those, it is a fine enough property for me to be returning twice during the coming year.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Maybe, just maybe, you should go into your trip with an open mind. If you go to the resort expecting the worst, you are just going to look for every flaw and will have a negative perception of everything. Not every review here has been negative and although the negative reviews have been more vocal, its pretty well established that those who are dissatisfied with something are more likely to leave a negative review than someone who is satisfied will leave a positive review. Just take a deep breath and remember you're on vacation.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by setho212
Maybe, just maybe, you should go into your trip with an open mind. If you go to the resort expecting the worst, you are just going to look for every flaw and will have a negative perception of everything. Not every review here has been negative and although the negative reviews have been more vocal, its pretty well established that those who are dissatisfied with something are more likely to leave a negative review than someone who is satisfied will leave a positive review. Just take a deep breath and remember you're on vacation.
I really dislike when people say 'remember, you're on vacation!'. Yes, of course I remember. I get very few of them so I they are very important. Vacation doesn't mean I shrug my shoulders at not getting what I paid for and say 'well, at least the sun is shining! Hey, it's vacation, it doesn't matter if things aren't satisfactory! I'm not at work!'. That isn't everyone's mindset. I love my job. Going on vacation isn't a vacation from my job. I don't lessen my expectations because I'm not at work.

I'm going into my vacation hoping it is exactly what I paid for and that I enjoy my stay. Now if I got a little sunburned or didn't care for some activities well that's just opinion and the way it goes, no biggie. If my room doesn't have the amenities and view I paid for, thats a very big deal and I will ask for compensation. If hot tubs don't function, thats also a big deal since from reviews I know they've had over a month to fix it. If elevators don't work, again, very big deal. That's just not even safe. Fire alarms going off all the time? Again, unsafe and very big deal. I wouldn't accept either of those last issues at a crappy motel much less somewhere I paid hundreds of dollars a night for. And I'm not sure why people think because it's 'a vacation' I should just nod my head, put an insipid smile on my face and shrug if these very real issues are still at hand.

Like I said, hopefully I'll simply receive what I've paid for which is not outlandish. If you order surf and turf at a new restaurant and get spam and canned tuna are you going to say 'it's ok! It was only $30 because it's the grand opening! Totally understandable!'? I sure wouldn't but then I work hard for my money I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.