Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by br0wntown
no one seems to talk about these too much

Want some more info on gajoen hotel as I'm deciding between that and GHT
I've stayed at the GHT several times and agree that the location is very convenient. The standard rooms are not particularly big though and are starting to seem a bit dated IMHO.

Although I haven't stayed there recently, in July I did a property tour of the Gajoen. Their base level rooms are far more spacious than the GHT and have been renovated fairly recently so feel fresher / more luxurious than the PHT. Also, the property and location has a lot of history and local charm partially owing to the fact that they've preserved part of the original hotel which dates back to the 1800's.

In terms of access, I believe they have a shuttle (best to confirm with the hotel as to schedule and availability) to the nearby Meguro station else the walk is about 10 minutes up or down the hill. Distance wise, it's not really any further from the station than the GHT is from Roppongi subway lines (Hibiya or Oedo).
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Stayed in Gajoen back in 2009, but that was in a suite, so I've no idea what the entry level rooms are like. It was fine as a curiousity, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a night there, and GHT is a much better base for an extended tourism stay.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
My comment was only in response to br0wntown's specific question. If returning to the overall question of Which Hyatt in Tokyo, first you should refer to some of hailstorm's comments. He lives in Tokyo and has stayed at all of the Hyatt's frequently. We're in Osaka and only go to Tokyo about once a year for a 5-10 night stay, but here are my personal recommendations.

1. Park Hyatt: Definitely my top recommendation for a Globalist using a suite upgrade
Thanks - I think I may switch my first 2 days from GHT to Andaz, and the last 5 from Andaz to PHT (would be my third time there) if I can use a TSU. Im getting great corp rates on Andaz (<$290/nt) and currently PHT is 2x that, but points (25K or 30K) are about the same for both. Points seem like not a great use if rates are that low for Andaz.

I have another only 1 more night needed for my first 2 TSUs of the year.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Grand Hyatt or Andaz

Looking for advice from the more experienced here - I will be spending 3 days in Tokyo next February en route to the US after a conference in Asia. Flights into/out of HND arriving early at 6am on a Sunday & departing late at 11pm on a Tuesday - as a lowly Explorist, I am not expecting a super early check-in or late check-out (beyond 2pm) at either property. Traveling alone with one checked bag and a backpack - presumably ok to transfer from/to hotel by train?
I do have a couple of Club Access awards that expire next year and wouldn't mind using one at the GH, which apparently has a pretty decent club lounge. I realize that I wouldn't be able to use a Club Access award at the Andaz - but wouldn't lose any sleep if those awards expired unused.
After breakfast at the hotel, lunch and dinner will likely be at a hole-in-the-wall in a neighborhood that I am exploring on that given day. Time permitting, I might hit the gym or swim a few laps in the hotel pool. Is the evening happy hour hosted by the Andaz worth it?
I do enjoy walking and exploring the City on foot - some posts indicate that GH location is convenient to access the train-lines and Andaz is a short walk to the station. I plan on visiting the Tokyo Fish Market on one of the mornings and grab some fresh sashimi too! Are there neighborhoods/areas of the City that you recommend walking to near either property, which would necessarily determine which hotel to stay at?
Andaz rooms are on 47th-51st floors and offer amazing views, despite the more recent construction nearby - if I could request a room facing a particular direction, which one should I request?
Let me know your thoughts and other criteria to consider for my stay.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Looking for advice from the more experienced here - I will be spending 3 days in Tokyo next February en route to the US after a conference in Asia. Flights into/out of HND arriving early at 6am on a Sunday & departing late at 11pm on a Tuesday - as a lowly Explorist, I am not expecting a super early check-in or late check-out (beyond 2pm) at either property. Traveling alone with one checked bag and a backpack - presumably ok to transfer from/to hotel by train?
I do have a couple of Club Access awards that expire next year and wouldn't mind using one at the GH, which apparently has a pretty decent club lounge. I realize that I wouldn't be able to use a Club Access award at the Andaz - but wouldn't lose any sleep if those awards expired unused.
After breakfast at the hotel, lunch and dinner will likely be at a hole-in-the-wall in a neighborhood that I am exploring on that given day. Time permitting, I might hit the gym or swim a few laps in the hotel pool. Is the evening happy hour hosted by the Andaz worth it?
I do enjoy walking and exploring the City on foot - some posts indicate that GH location is convenient to access the train-lines and Andaz is a short walk to the station. I plan on visiting the Tokyo Fish Market on one of the mornings and grab some fresh sashimi too! Are there neighborhoods/areas of the City that you recommend walking to near either property, which would necessarily determine which hotel to stay at?
Andaz rooms are on 47th-51st floors and offer amazing views, despite the more recent construction nearby - if I could request a room facing a particular direction, which one should I request?
Andaz is much nicer. GH is fine but dated and (imo) stodgy with poor ambiance.

I think Toranomon is a great base for what you want. It’s not far from Toyosu, and is very walkable to Hibiya, Ginza, Shinbashi. You will have ample holes in the wall to discover as you explore.

My feeling is that people generally underrate Andaz location.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan

I think Toranomon is a great base for what you want. It’s not far from Toyosu, and is very walkable to Hibiya, Ginza, Shinbashi. You will have ample holes in the wall to discover as you explore.

I'd second the Andaz recommendation as well. Don't waste your time with lounge food in a city like Tokyo
MattEvan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freckles123
I'd second the Andaz recommendation as well. Don't waste your time with lounge food in a city like Tokyo
I've never understood this sentiment. Grand Hyatt Tokyo lounge food is essentially a cross section of Grand Hyatt Tokyo restaurant food. Which is great! And free!

Every night in Japan doesn't have to be Jiro and Gonpachi. The option to chill within meters of your room and give your wallet a well deserved rest has merit.
Boraxo and TravisMT81 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I've never understood this sentiment. Grand Hyatt Tokyo lounge food is essentially a cross section of Grand Hyatt Tokyo restaurant food. Which is great! And free!

Every night in Japan doesn't have to be Jiro and Gonpachi. The option to chill within meters of your room and give your wallet a well deserved rest has merit.
The food, and especially the wines at the GHT lounge, are certainly light-years better than anything in most US hotel lounges, but the atmosphere is a bit dreary, especially with almost no windows in the dining area. For someone living in Japan or for a frequent visitor it is definitely a great money save, again especially the wines, as wine in Japanese restaurants is expensive.

But unless there is a compelling reason, such as mobility issues, young children, etc., it is a shame for someone visiting a foreign country such as Japan for the first time to choose to eat in a hotel lounge rather than even a down-market eatery such as Yoshinoya.

Of course, it is always possible to use the GHT lounge in the way that it is originally intended: have a pre-dinner drink and a tasty appetiser before going out to eat.

The Andaz happy hour is not even close to going out of the way for. The wines are what you would fine in the 500 yen bin. However, the 24-hour coffee, juice, soft drinks, etc., plus the (somewhat limited) complementary items in the room mini-bar can be even more convenient than have lounge access at GHT.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Every night in Japan doesn't have to be Jiro and Gonpachi.
I hope not, especially the latter, ever. And the former just to say you've been there. But between the GHT lounge and its "offerings" in the atmosphere from hell and a 4 AM Yoshinoya run with a drunken dude who missed his last train home, I'd probably go for the latter.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I do have a couple of Club Access awards that expire next year and wouldn't mind using one at the GH, which apparently has a pretty decent club lounge.

GHT lounge is awesome! Food is great, drinks are fancy…I don’t think any US Hyatt lounges offer free champagne (if you care and drink)…If you have Club Access award, use it here. It’s very nice.
tripmaster and hailstorm like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan

Thanks Matt. Having Hibiya, Ginza & Shinbashi within walking distance certainly tilts the scales towards Andaz.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:38 pm

The food, and especially the wines at the GHT lounge, are certainly light-years better than anything in most US hotel lounges, but the atmosphere is a bit dreary, especially with almost no windows in the dining area. For someone living in Japan or for a frequent visitor it is definitely a great money save, again especially the wines, as wine in Japanese restaurants is expensive.

But unless there is a compelling reason, such as mobility issues, young children, etc., it is a shame for someone visiting a foreign country such as Japan for the first time to choose to eat in a hotel lounge rather than even a down-market eatery such as Yoshinoya.

Of course, it is always possible to use the GHT lounge in the way that it is originally intended: have a pre-dinner drink and a tasty appetiser before going out to eat.

The Andaz happy hour is not even close to going out of the way for. The wines are what you would fine in the 500 yen bin. However, the 24-hour coffee, juice, soft drinks, etc., plus the (somewhat limited) complementary items in the room mini-bar can be even more convenient than have lounge access at GHT.
Thanks for the tip. I won't bother with the Andaz happy hour.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The food, and especially the wines at the GHT lounge, are certainly light-years better than anything in most US hotel lounges, but the atmosphere is a bit dreary, especially with almost no windows in the dining area.
What are you talking about? There are windows along the entire wall of the lounge. If that's not enough, you can even eat outside for a full 360 degree view of the outdoors.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
What are you talking about? There are windows along the entire wall of the lounge. If that's not enough, you can even eat outside for a full 360 degree view of the outdoors.
Yes, the lounge has windows along an entire wall (and it is the length and not width bit). But I do wish the lounge was on a higher floor.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Yes, the lounge has windows along an entire wall (and it is the length and not width bit). But I do wish the lounge was on a higher floor.
The Grand Hyatt Tokyo has the highest elevation of a Hyatt club lounge in the entire Kanto area.
Infinite1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.