Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Looking for the experts' advice regarding which Tokyo Hyatt to book during a HND layover.

We (2 adults + two kids ages 7, 10) will be landing at HND at 5:30 p.m. on a December evening, and departing again from HND the following morning at 11:20 a.m. I am a Hyatt Globalist.

We travel light (1 carry on each), however would still prefer a Hyatt with a simple public transport option.

Here are our priorities:
1) Easy public transport in and out of HND (train or airport limo bus).
2) Decent chance of an upgrade to a larger room as a globalist (I won't be using a TSU on this one-night stay)
3) Nearby dinner options within walking distance, or a decent club Lounge (still serving food around 7pm) for a light dinner.

Which Hyatt hotel would you recommend staying at for the one night?
For what it's worth, I did book both the HR tokyo, as well as HR Yokohama while they were still category 3 last month.

Thanks!
Bostonbali
I would choose HR Yokohama for the location. Evening Regency Club service if from 5-7 PM and the Club closes at 8:00 PM. Starting in June children under 12 will only be allowed in the Club until 5:00 PM.

Chinatown is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and has tons of places to eat plus it's fun.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
I would choose HR Yokohama for the location. Evening Regency Club service if from 5-7 PM and the Club closes at 8:00 PM. Starting in June children under 12 will only be allowed in the Club until 5:00 PM.

Chinatown is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and has tons of places to eat plus it's fun.
Yes. When I visit NYC for leisure purposes, I like to stay at the Hyatt House White Plains, or at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City if I'm feeling flush. Although I do agree if it's just a HND layover, Yokohama is not a bad option, maybe even better one than heading all the way in to the HR in Shinjuku.

Personally, I'd probably pick the Andaz, as it's easy to get in and out from HND on the Hibiya Line extensions, and the station is more "on top" of the hotel than the Roppongi Station is to the GHT.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Looking for the experts' advice regarding which Tokyo Hyatt to book during a HND layover.

We (2 adults + two kids ages 7, 10) will be landing at HND at 5:30 p.m. on a December evening, and departing again from HND the following morning at 11:20 a.m. I am a Hyatt Globalist.

We travel light (1 carry on each), however would still prefer a Hyatt with a simple public transport option.
i
As much as I love the Tokyo locations, (especially the Andaz, which is my absolute favorite in the entire Hyatt portfolio) Even as a globalist, out of practicality sake I have to actually suggest you book something different or consider alternative transport.

I'm going to make a few basic assumptions and please let me know if I'm wrong. I assume the connection is between 2 international locations and you will want to arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure.

Assuming you pass through customs and immigration and out within 1 hour of landing at 6:30, Public transport by rail to the HR Yokohama is about 1 hour with 1 train change and a walk with the Keiyu airport line to the negishi line During what will likely still have elements of rush hour train traffic. The estimated arrival time would be 7:40pm. The return the next day would take about the same time and you would leave at 7:19am to arrive at 8:13am at the airport on the reverse route. There is an airport Shuttle bus for the same cost each which should take about 30-40mins around those times too.

The Andaz is about the same amount of time with about 50 mins in transit with less walking, and 1 train change.

The HR tokyo is the Farthest, but again just a few mins over an hour with 1 train change.

Getting quick or light dinner in Japan is generally ridiculously easy, especially with their convenience stores. The food will also be much better than anything you would get at any lounge. I might be a weirdo in that I have skipped the lounges for food most of the time in Japan because there is so much I want to eat outside of the hotels.

I have actually stayed at the Royal Park Hotel at Haneda itself. It's directly connected to the international terminal. There is something to be said about just checking into the hotel right outside the gates and walking downstairs in the AM and checking in, or heck what I did and check in to flight, go back to room until you need to pass through security and stuff for the flight. Breakfast was good at this location. If you want cheaper there's the Hotel Mystays Haneda Just outside the airport or the JAL hotel Haneda City, which is 6 mins from airport.
IF you do want to go into city, I would recommend just staying somewhere around Hamamatsucho station as the Monorail goes express to Haneda to and from there and takes about 15 mins. I've been very pleased by the Japanese hotels I've stayed out outside of Hyatt with Mystays and Dormy Inn etc.

But whatever floats your boat. I just personally have a hard time wanting to put in 2 more hours of travel on an international trip between 2 presumably long international flights for relatively little payoff (don't even have the time to enjoy the places much)
MSPeconomist and Illinwu like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:53 pm

As hailstorm pointed out, there are a lot of assumptions here and while I hope my family will be able to head over here for a visit in December, there's no guarantee tourist visas will have resumed by then nor that even if they do there would not potentially be some form of quarantine rules getting in the way of this kind of plan. Regardless of the state of such things, I think the prospect of getting through covid stuff/customs/immigration/etc and out into the terminal within one hour of landing is unrealistic - I'd probably at least double that to be safe which means a much later dinner and lots of stuff (especially in Yokohama vs Tokyo) may still be closing early-ish depending on the state of things.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Looking at next May-June for a trip - surely they'll be open then! :-D

How come the 2 SLH (Gajoen, Tokyo Station) arent available? Have they not released inventory?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tripmaster

How come the 2 SLH (Gajoen, Tokyo Station) arent available? Have they not released inventory?
Traditionally hotels in Japan aren't available for reservations until several months before arrival.

OTOH, are you trying to book an award stay?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Cash for now!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Traditionally hotels in Japan aren't available for reservations until several months before arrival.

OTOH, are you trying to book an award stay?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I've found that, at least for Japan hotels, you're much more likely to find availability on the direct hotel site, rather than via Hyatt.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tripmaster

I recently booked a speculative Japan trip next mid-May in hopes things will be reopened, and also noticed those two SLH hotels in Tokyo were not available when I started searching. However, by the time I made my reservations, they were now available for mid May, so perhaps they just release rooms 11 months out or so? It didn't matter in my case, since I was planning on Hyatt flagged properties anyways, which were all available all along. This is actually something I've noticed beyond Japan. Often I book trips 13 months out as soon as Hyatt allows bookings, and more often than not, the SLH properties in the area are not available that far out, but then start showing availability it seems like roughly 11 or 12 months out.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: hyatt globalist
Planning help pls

can someone help me decide if the GH or the centric is a better option?

First time in Tokyo for 7 nights - 3 adults
Globalist.

We will be doing typical tourist stuff. One of us is elderly. Convenience and location is the most important.

id also appreciate your thoughts on 3 adults sharing 1 room at these hotels. (Trying to save some $)

thank you
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlee132132
can someone help me decide if the GH or the centric is a better option?

First time in Tokyo for 7 nights - 3 adults
Globalist.

We will be doing typical tourist stuff. One of us is elderly. Convenience and location is the most important.

id also appreciate your thoughts on 3 adults sharing 1 room at these hotels. (Trying to save some $)

thank you
I would probably go with the Grand Hyatt. As a Globalist, you'll get access to the excellent Grand Club Lounge, and the hosts there will be very helpful in helping you plan out your activities and travel itineraries with an elderly guest in mind. Also gives you a better place to chill on your off days, with access to a pool and nice public bathing facility for those that are up for that kind of thing.

3 adults in a room is not a problem, provided you actually book the room for three adults (e.g. no base level room at either place). Will likely need to pay for an extra bed at either place.

If you're looking to book a room (not suite) for three adults with points, then Andaz Tokyo is your only option for that.
jlee132132 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I would probably go with the Grand Hyatt. As a Globalist, you'll get access to the excellent Grand Club Lounge, and the hosts there will be very helpful in helping you plan out your activities and travel itineraries with an elderly guest in mind. Also gives you a better place to chill on your off days, with access to a pool and nice public bathing facility for those that are up for that kind of thing.

3 adults in a room is not a problem, provided you actually book the room for three adults (e.g. no base level room at either place). Will likely need to pay for an extra bed at either place.

If you're looking to book a room (not suite) for three adults with points, then Andaz Tokyo is your only option for that.
hailstorm I have a related question. I’m coming around Christmas time with 2 kids (3 in total in the room) and am debating between a standard twin room at the Grand Hyatt and I have a king suite reserved at the Hyatt Centric Ginza (using SUA - I’m Globalist). Which would you choose? I like the location of the GH better, closer proximity to the Christmas market/lights, and having lounge access would be easier, but the standard rooms there just seem small. No standard suites available at GH, otherwise the choice would be much easier. Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: hyatt globalist
Pls let me know how your stay goes, and where you end up staying. My stay is in March after postponing 4 times!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jch636
hailstorm I have a related question. I’m coming around Christmas time with 2 kids (3 in total in the room) and am debating between a standard twin room at the Grand Hyatt and I have a king suite reserved at the Hyatt Centric Ginza (using SUA - I’m Globalist). Which would you choose? I like the location of the GH better, closer proximity to the Christmas market/lights, and having lounge access would be easier, but the standard rooms there just seem small. No standard suites available at GH, otherwise the choice would be much easier. Thanks!
I personally would choose the bigger room. I've never been to Ginza during Xmas, but I imagine there would be things in the area worth seeing at that time. Worst case, you can walk to Marunouchi and see the pretty lights there.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I've found that, at least for Japan hotels, you're much more likely to find availability on the direct hotel site, rather than via Hyatt.
What does this mean? Aren't all the hotel sites hosted on hyatt.com only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.