Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:55 am

Review for 8/26-8/28

Stayed here for a weekend getaway to NY with my husband last month. Used my Award nights for this stay.

Loved the hotel, very spacious room, excellent service. I was greeted by name several times and they offered me 2 complimentary drinks and extended check out because I'm a platinum member. Also allowed us to check in at 11am as we had an early flight in. Was not expecting that.

We used the house car several times and they drove us even outside of the 10 block radius. Also used the shoe shine and dry cleaning services. Great location although there is really no view from the 8th floor. I will note that they are doing construction on the restaurant and it was very noisy when we checked in on Friday, but no noise after 5pm and for the rest of Sat & Sun.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Used one of the Hyatt CC cents for a stay last night. Was fine for free but I would never pay to stay there. The hotel was nice but I didn't find the bed to be all that comfortable. It was fairly firm and so were the pillows. The staff was decent but not spectacular. No real upgrade other than having a partial view of 57th St. Breakfast buffet is ridiculously priced for what you get but again for free it was not bad.

For such an expensive hotel, there was zero personal service. Even at a Westin I am asked what my preferences are, what my arrival time will be, and find a welcome letter and/or amenity in my room. I guess they get a lot of people using their credit card certs at this property and very few likely ever come back, so perhaps it is understandable.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
For such an expensive hotel, there was zero personal service. Even at a Westin I am asked what my preferences are, what my arrival time will be, and find a welcome letter and/or amenity in my room. I guess they get a lot of people using their credit card certs at this property and very few likely ever come back, so perhaps it is understandable.
I visited the property in April on 2 award nights. I did get a welcome letter and amenity in my room.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

I think that's a large part of the frustration - inconsistency. My experience as a diamond: first stay, in room welcome amenity (fruit and chocolate), but charged me $50 for valet even though I self parked. Second stay, no amenity, charged me a $3.00 overage on breakfast. Third stay, no amenity, everything else was fine.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I also did not like the bed here. A bit too firm for me. In fact I find Hyatt beds to be average at best. Westin's HB is my fav bed.

My last stay using free CC night netted me over 4K points. Mistake was made somewhere but not sure where. CC I used to checkin has no charges from this property.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Inconsistency is definitely the name of the game at this property. If you are going to charge ridiculous prices, the service should be flawless. I checked in online and came in a bit after my expected arrival time...around 430. When I arrived it was like nobody had given any thought about the arrival of a Diamond member until the person is standing in front of them. After much typing, it was like...we found you a nice Park King room. That's nice but that it the basic room type. Is there nothing else? Finally given a slightly better room as if it was a big favor to me. If there was nothing else at the beginning of the day and the front desk was aware, they should immediate say, we are sorry we can't upgrade you for this stay and offer some recognition of this. At the Chatwal, for instance, my room would have been ready and they would already have known I was arriving and had the key ready. At the St.Regis Bal Habour, every staff member knew my name--even the first time I stayed there. As soon as you walk into the hotel again after check in the staff knows who the guests are. At the Park Hyatt it was like they were working at a huge convention center hotel, just processing people through.

Anyway, again if I had to pay regular price--especially given that I did not sleep well in the bed--I would choose another luxury property. If they want to charge the rates they are charging they really need to step up their game.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Inconsistency is definitely the name of the game at this property. If you are going to charge ridiculous prices, the service should be flawless. I checked in online and came in a bit after my expected arrival time...around 430. When I arrived it was like nobody had given any thought about the arrival of a Diamond member until the person is standing in front of them. After much typing, it was like...we found you a nice Park King room. That's nice but that it the basic room type. Is there nothing else? Finally given a slightly better room as if it was a big favor to me. If there was nothing else at the beginning of the day and the front desk was aware, they should immediate say, we are sorry we can't upgrade you for this stay and offer some recognition of this. At the Chatwal, for instance, my room would have been ready and they would already have known I was arriving and had the key ready. At the St.Regis Bal Habour, every staff member knew my name--even the first time I stayed there. As soon as you walk into the hotel again after check in the staff knows who the guests are. At the Park Hyatt it was like they were working at a huge convention center hotel, just processing people through.

Anyway, again if I had to pay regular price--especially given that I did not sleep well in the bed--I would choose another luxury property. If they want to charge the rates they are charging they really need to step up their game.
Again, my experience was completely different than yours just months ago and I was on an free night. They asked my name at the door and that was transported through the building to checkin. Everytime I walked in/out the door, I was greeted by my name. Maybe things are starting to fall off there.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

It seems rooms and suites are not pre-assigned, except for speciality suites -- which is a shame. Other hotels in the same price range are doing much better in guest recognition. Baccarat and MO for example walk all over PHNY in this regard (and many others). I do recommend giving management the heads up if you have a special wish in terms of room allocation. That works most of the time!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I checked in online and came in a bit after my expected arrival time...around 430. When I arrived it was like nobody had given any thought about the arrival of a Diamond member until the person is standing in front of them. After much typing, it was like...we found you a nice Park King room. That's nice but that it the basic room type. Is there nothing else? Finally given a slightly better room as if it was a big favor to me.
Sounds just like the Manchester GH!

Oh wait, you mean PHNYC is not a 1000 room convention hotel?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds just like the Manchester GH!

Oh wait, you mean PHNYC is not a 1000 room convention hotel?
Great analogy,

I stopped by the Park Hyatt NY for drinks this week to find out my favorite bartender moved to the Andaz 5th Ave. During my visit I walked around the lobby and tried to soak it in... this place has such a cold and impersonal feeling. Walk by the front desk a few times, not one person lifted their face from their computer to smile, greet me or ask if I needed help.

We left the Park Hyatt because the lobby and bar were empty, it was like being at a public library. We stopped at the Mandarin Oriental, Lobby and Bar was vibrant, nothing but polite smiles greeted you.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Great analogy,

I stopped by the Park Hyatt NY for drinks this week to find out my favorite bartender moved to the Andaz 5th Ave. During my visit I walked around the lobby and tried to soak it in... this place has such a cold and impersonal feeling. Walk by the front desk a few times, not one person lifted their face from their computer to smile, greet me or ask if I needed help.

We left the Park Hyatt because the lobby and bar were empty, it was like being at a public library. We stopped at the Mandarin Oriental, Lobby and Bar was vibrant, nothing but polite smiles greeted you.

Ive found this to be true over both of my two stays at this hotel. The worst were the doormen, I regularly had to open the front door while they chatted amongst each other (perhaps they should learn from ritz carlton) and on my first stay had to roll my suitcase to my taxi and put it in the trunk myself.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:55 am

It really just seemed like the staff were in their own world and that was very consistent. Often there was nobody at the front door and it is a bit confusing as to how to check in when nobody is there. At the restaurant in the morning several people were standing around talking instead of seating guests. Once seated, things were fine. The concierges seemed to be entertaining themselves. The front desk people were always looking at their laptops. Even coming back from the pool the spa staff was loudly gossiping which I could clearly hear while waiting for the elevator. Maybe there is some management issue but I have had a better welcome at a Hyatt Place.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond

I keep getting back to this point, I have no idea how they are able to get away charging what they are. There are better hotel stay experiences in the area for the price or less. And its not like its slightly overpriced either.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miesque
I keep getting back to this point, based on my one point stay experience, I have no idea how they are able to get away charging what they are. There are better hotel stay experiences in the area for the price or less. And its not like its slightly overpriced either.
This seems to be an issue at many domestic high end hyatts, they fail horribly on service. I regularly stay at the ph beaver creek during the summer and we've started a game of guessing how many times there will be a noticeable service flaw. The best was the doorman who tried to chat with me as I started to load my car. Restaurant service at 8100 is among the worse, when I requested a different server my second morning from the hostess she literally just laughed snd sat me in the same section. Where does hyatt train these people?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I have stayed here twice and had visited the bar often, Fernando is one of my favorite NYC bartenders. For a new Flagship hotel located in the Big Apple the public areas are dead for NYC standards... I can see why he was moved to the Andaz 5th Avenue and why the back room is closed for a renovation... after only being open for 1 year??? These are bad signs for a new hotel of this caliber. The hotel is cold and impersonal, the lack of people in the lobby, bar and restaurant reflects that.

How much did Hyatt pay for the 5 star rating????

It really just seemed like the staff were in their own world and that was very consistent. Often there was nobody at the front door and it is a bit confusing as to how to check in when nobody is there. At the restaurant in the morning several people were standing around talking instead of seating guests. Once seated, things were fine. The concierges seemed to be entertaining themselves. The front desk people were always looking at their laptops. Even coming back from the pool the spa staff was loudly gossiping which I could clearly hear while waiting for the elevator. Maybe there is some management issue but I have had a better welcome at a Hyatt Place.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Sep 13, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.