Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
Minimum $20, if there is 3 passengers $30, 4 passengers $40

Originally Posted by feeb1
Quick question - how much do you think an appropriate tip would be for the driver?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Andaz5
You can take Uber (even a black car) for far less--$5 would be fine.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
That's very subjective. To each his own, but I would tip max $10, regardless of the number of pax. 4 passengers, $40 sounds steep! Am I too cheap for NYC? (LA all the way)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:19 am

I would tip at least $20, especially if the driver gave very good service.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a ride.... Getting from A to B with maybe the driver putting your luggage in/out of the trunk. $20 is more than enough for any number of passengers.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by cdmca
That's very subjective. To each his own, but I would tip max $10, regardless of the number of pax. 4 passengers, $40 sounds steep! Am I too cheap for NYC? (LA all the way)
I'm with you and wouldn't tip more than $10. It's a service provided by the hotel to their guests. Why would anyone pay more for it than it would cost to just buy it yourself.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The sad thing is that Hyatt worldwide is starting to lose their way with food and beverage
in a number of locations
Cost cutting ? Giving up and just saying whatever?
Do I even get started on dining without stays that never get posted without
calling the hotel or consumer affairs
The gleaming jewel and flagship property Park Hyatt New York appears to be just raising the bar for the old adage that the emperor is naked and at a steep tariff
I'm afraid keeping it simple and using high quality products rather than second rate suppliers is truly hurting brand perception execution and performance

I'd like to see Hyatt turn back the clock just 3 or 4 years ago before they started with what I perceive is advertising speak
Thoughtfully sourced,carefully served (don't let me finish the sentences
It's lovely to call your food healthy and follow industry trends to sound with it
But I have had to many recent plates of inedible slop to give kind words
The worst room service in 20 years goes to Andaz London more recently
Did I say it was awful? I took a taxi to the Hyatt Churchill after to avoid another
dreadful experience.Thankfully Montagu is still performing reasonably well at the Churchill

For decades Hyatt had impressive food offerings and impressive dining experiences at a number of locations
Perhaps Hyatt might listen to the food critic a little more seriously than its guests that have to deal with embarrassing performance and the price paid for it
Hyatt can seriously do better!! And has historically
Get back to basics Hyatt top brands best suppliers everything else second
And keep it simple!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 17, 2014 at 5:13 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I'm with you and wouldn't tip more than $10. It's a service provided by the hotel to their guests. Why would anyone pay more for it than it would cost to just buy it yourself.
And it's max 10 blocks. Should we all agree to tip $1 per city block, with a $10 minimum?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I would not tip anything less than $10. But this is New York City one of the greatest walking cities on Earth, a 10 block ride is a waste, I prefer to walk and enjoy the city.

Originally Posted by cdmca
And it's max 10 blocks. Should we all agree to tip $1 per city block, with a $10 minimum?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:50 pm

9/15 stay PH NY

Late post of stay at PHNY on 9/15. Note: I am not a frequent traveler but this year I had a spurt of travel in Aug-Oct. Because of this I was in the middle of a Diamond challenge (since completed). However this stay was a cc award booked in April. We chose this hotel partly because it has a base room that can accommodate 3, and originally booked 2 nights. Since then, our party dwindled to 2 and we let go of one night although it didn't go back into inventory.

Arrival
Doorman took our bags from the taxi and I didn’t see the bags again until I got to the room. As noted by others, you go upstairs, as you exit the elevator, you make a right and U turn to check in. There is a comfortable seating area (with the fruit infused water mentioned before). I thought it was a nice separation from the busier public area.

Room
Was upgraded from Park King to Park Deluxe King, room 2214, which faces west towards Seventh Avenue. There was some discussion earlier about upgrades, and I believe it's the next category up and the highest possible barring suites, as this property seems to have a large proportion of rooms labeled as suites. It was spacious for 2, but is not particularly large (I only say this based on a comparison with the description of the Park King. It was actually huge for NYC). A good portion of the room goes to the entry vestibule which some might think is wasted space, although I liked the additional privacy it afforded. I took a picture of the floor layout posted behind the door and there were very few of these smaller rooms on my floor.

Bags were already in the room, placed inside the closet in a neat manner. I was happy that this had required no additional interaction on my part.

The room was really quiet. I did briefly hear very faint hammering from above. It wasn’t directly above, and was so faint that it disappeared once my daughter put her cartoons on. The TV was only on briefly, and I did not hear it again during our stay. I expect all that noise is gone by now.

I thought the finishes were very good. Furnishings simple to the point of being just functional, actually very comfortable and luxurious. Great bed on the firm side. Excellent sheets. Huge bathroom, heated bathroom floor, tub with a view. Motorized window screens for both the room and bathroom. Doors are on the heavy side, including closet doors, and I wonder how they will hold up. I could see that housekeeping was having to make an effort getting in and out those doors, but I’m sure they greatly help with soundproofing. Bathroom doors are spring loaded for one hand operation – well thought out. Closets a bit narrow, but I see from other photos that not all rooms are like that.

I really liked the bar cabinet – complete, well designed and pleasing to the eye. Nespresso/ hot water machine, espresso cups as well as larger cups for tea (with residue of price stickers still stuck on to them). Drawer refrigerator that was fully stocked but still had some room to put a couple of your own beverages if you wanted to do so (I put in a small bottle of milk).

Multipurpose Tablet served as hotel information, radio, internet tablet. Superfast Wifi. No problems at all with Wifi or TV.

Pool
We used the pool the next morning and it was a beautiful and spacious area. Attendant gave us bottled water. While we were there a couple of guys came in who looked like they were inspecting the glass for leaks (did I mention it was raining, so it would have been a good time for inspection).

Amenity
At check-in, no mention of points or food amenity. An hour later, however, a milk and cookies tray was delivered to us, “for your daughter, courtesy of the chef”. So, was that my amenity? Not sure since I hadn’t particularly chosen it. But my daughter thoroughly enjoyed it and demolished it, actually.

(Since then I have stayed at the GH Tampa and the PH DC where I saw and learned how the Diamond Amenity should be offered with a card at check in.)

Breakfast
At check in, I was told straightaway that the breakfast amenity could be taken in the restaurant or in-room. Initially I was told, up to $57 pp. I realized she had meant “up to the value of the 57th St Breakfast” but for some reason she seemed flustered about explaining the breakfast benefit.

The next person I asked said we had 2 adults and 1 child in the reservation and she wasn’t sure if the child’s breakfast would be covered. (?!)

Forward to next morning ordering in-room breakfast. You can’t see the whole menu at once on the tablet – it is broken down into different pages - so there was a lot of back and forth while trying to order, which is not efficient. The breakfast arrived on time, nothing to sign, and was very good. Our total with gratuities and taxes was $131. At check out, the amount of $41 x 3 = $123 was removed.

Service
Housekeeping was very good and prompt. Evening turndown provided water and glasses placed on each side of the bed, and the slippers removed from the closet and laid out on a floor mat. Amenities were replaced.

Doormen were great. The car driver was very friendly (tipped him $10 for 4 passengers incl 2 children. We were only going to Columbus Circle but it was raining).

I think the weakest link was the Front Desk – not yet consistent and lacked information and confidence. Everyone was friendly and polite, but seemingly not intuitively knowing what one needed. Of the ladies I met, one was a transfer from Grand Hyatt Tampa and another was from Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. So I can see perhaps there’s a gap in the service level… but I believe it will get better. I had no interaction with more senior staff, or the restaurant, spa, etc.

Last Thoughts - As I believe Radiant Flyer mentioned, it really is a beautiful property and I left wishing I had kept my two night booking. As little time as one spends in the hotel in NY, I would have made an exception just to enjoy the room, the spa, etc. Just my .02 but if you are on award booking I wouldn't cancel a stay here.

Last edited by ENFO; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:29 am

link to photos - some are blurry I apologize
https://picasaweb.google.com/1023552...eat=directlink

Last edited by ENFO; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I view those upgrades as better than nothing. I would rather have the option of upgrading to a Jr. Suite than have the hotel opt out of allowing suite upgeades entirely.
I was upgraded to what I believe is a Park Executive Suite at the PH DC last weekend, no DSU. It was a 3rd Fl corner, 3-room suite - bedroom, office, living/dining area, with an extra half bath. I really have no idea why other than it was a Sunday night and it was an overnight stay. Now I'm going to duck, as I know there's a lot of debate here about the Diamond Challenge. : ) I just wanted to provide a data point about recent PH upgrades for Diamonds. Will post details later in that thread.

Last edited by ENFO; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:11 am

Is the ADA park doubles really 813 feet? it's bigger than the park studio suite. and the junior suite is bigger than the park studio even though the latter is more expensive. weird...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:12 pm

This is only one floor - 22/F. Hard to figure out room types from these different layouts. The red dot is a Park Exec King.

Perhaps it also has to do with views, not just size?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the included complimentary iron-pressed service for two items at the hotel only good for overnight service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.