Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Still my best PH experience.
Hope to return again before my diamond status expires next year.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Delete

Last edited by schriste; May 2, 2017 at 12:45 am Reason: I updated my post above instead.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Viennese Waltz

Park Hyatt Vienna

Map| 4 Reviews | 25% Recommended

Park Hyatt Vienna

Am Hof 2 Vienna, Austria

Viennese Waltz (28 Photos)

Park Hyatt Vienna

A lovely hotel, especially if you have some points to offset the price of the rooms here. My second stay at this hotel, (see my post upthread for last year's stay in a nicer room).

Status is not necessary here but obviously would provide a better room, however, even as the lowest level Hyatt status holder, I found the hotel and stay brilliant.

I can recommend the hotel and look forward to returning again when I am next in Vienna for more than one night.

Check In

I checked in at 2 PM, the earliest allowed time (for non status holders!) and had a decent experience at check in but not as good as my last stay. No mention of my hyatt membership number on file and no offer to check-in in the room as I received last year. Still, pleasant enough and friendly, I was soon on my way with my room key.

Reception desks are to the left when you enter up the main hotel stairs.

There are bathrooms also here behind reception at the very end of the hallway on this side of the building.

To the right (as you enter) is the cafe am hof and other special lounge areas for drinks / food.

If you keep going straight on (after entering) the main dining room is straight ahead and the rooms (and elevator) are up the stairs and to the right. (not sure how disabled people access the lift...)

Room

Park Hyatt Vienna | Studio Room.jpg

I had booked an entry level room on cash and points and was told I had received 'a nice upgrade' to a studio room. The room was small (certainly half the size of the room I had upthread, you can see pictures in that previous post) however, the room was very nice and perfectly fine for a single night stay. I would have been quite disappointed with the room though if I had paid the Euro 530 they were asking during that time of year...

Park Hyatt Vienna | 6th floor plan.jpg

The pictures will tell you much better than I can about the quality and detail they have put into this hotel and room, simply outstanding for attention to detail compared to a lot of other chains.

The room had a lovely warm wood feel with earthy tones and a classic design concept which was fitting to the hotel ambience and history. A very strong contrast to the Sofitel also located in Vienna which is very modern and minimalist.

I liked that there were a few power points on each side of the bed frame and that water was free and out for guests on the bedside tables. I also found it very nice that the hotel supplied a power adapter in each room in the wardrobe along with several other amenities (again for a non status holder in an entry level room). TV channels were good if slow to change and the wifi was also decent and free of charge (quite good for this level of hotel which usually charges for everything!).

Pictures:Park Hyatt Vienna | Amenities in room.jpPark Hyatt Vienna | Bathroom Doors.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Bedside Table.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Cool Box Drawer MiniPark Hyatt Vienna | Desk connections.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Desk Corner.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Electric controls foPark Hyatt Vienna | Mini Bar.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Other Bedside Table.Park Hyatt Vienna | Room Controls.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Safe drawer shelves.Park Hyatt Vienna | TV console.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | View back to EntrancPark Hyatt Vienna | View into room.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Wardrobe contents.jpPark Hyatt Vienna | Wardrobe.jpg

Bathroom:

Park Hyatt Vienna | Amenities.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Bathroom TV controllPark Hyatt Vienna | Bathroom TV.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Bathtub Area.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Bathtub detail.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Mirrored Bath doors.Park Hyatt Vienna | Shower.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | Sink Vanity Area.jpgPark Hyatt Vienna | WC.jpg

Service

The service was good but not quite as good as I remembered it from last year at this time when I last stayed here. The dining room staff at breakfast were very good and friendly, and although the items were slow to appear after ordering them, it was not the serving staff that were at fault and I have to admit they were extremely busy and still remembered everything and checked up without needing to chase about items that did take a bit longer to arrive. I didn't try out the other facilities during my stay so can't comment on them or the service at those locations in the hotel.

I had put the do not disturb sign on my room and would have received a turn down service otherwise but didn't need it. The housekeeping staff did leave a note to say that I could still get this if I required but would have to call down for it.

A nice touch was that my waiter brought me a small box of chocolates from Cafe Am Hof before i left the breakfast area as a way of apologising for the sometimes longer delays in getting items to the table. I had not complained at all and so found this a particularly nice gesture from him to try and compensate (for an issue that admittedly shouldn't be there but is).  I do have to say the restaurant is incredibly busy for breakfast with plenty of hotel and non resident guests coming to eat here...If they could sort out the delays they would be indeed be worthy of custom even as a non-resident.

Dining

I only ate breakfast at the hotel, in the main dining area. I had not booked a rate with breakfast and it was 37 Euros which I found expensive to be sure but the choices were good and varied with quite good quality. I do think that the nearby Sofitel had a far superior breakfast for the same money and better views but as you can see below, the restaurant is a lovely venue in its own right.

Park Hyatt Vienna | Dining Room.jpg

The cappuccino here was outstanding with an excellent steamed milk and strong coffee mixture, I certainly availed myself of a few! I particularly liked the fresh fruit quality (although the variety was a bit limited). Everything was fresh and of good quality.

The location of the hotel is good for walking in the more expensive streets with boutique shops nearby and expensive restaurants but it was a bit of a pain for using public transport (in my opinion and I'm being picky now) wtih the nearest station being the Stephansdom IIRC around 500 metres away. Obviously most people would use taxis here and there were plenty available outside the door.

The location is great for inner city tourist visiting and you could walk easily to most venues from here if the weather was good.

Overall

I had a good stay, especially as a nobody status holder and as I had used some points to offset the horrible cash rates this hotel can demand for this great city. I would not stay on cash rates for the room I had or for the good but not great breakfast to be honest but as this is a frequent flier forum, readers will realise this and not be booking with cash generally.

I did very much like the quality of the items in every single hotel room, from electric controlled blinds, to great bath amenities in large sizes, to electronic light controls, bathrobes, slippers, quality materials and a very nice bathroom.

We're spoiled so we can be choosy...this is a great hotel even in that situation and I would recommend it to others on this forum using some points. If you do have status, you should have a brilliant room and a great time in this convenient location.

Safe travels.

Viennese Waltz

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Vienna?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 3, 2017, 2:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you for an excellent report, BotB. That took a lot of time to prepare. I really appreciated all your comments and pictures.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Do we need to email the hotel ahead of time if we need to check in early?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Thanks BotB for this very informative review, lots of superb insights and photos. Well received and appreciated.

I'm glad you've overall enjoyed the Park Hyatt Vienna for your 2nd stay.

Would you stay again in your future with them within this particular chain at this location?

The Park Hyatt is equally a fascinating contrast to the Sofitel Vienna.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 4, 2017, 5:11 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by milemission
Do we need to email the hotel ahead of time if we need to check in early?
I'll hope others answer you with more conviction and a definite answer but in any case I'd suggest that contacting the hotel ahead of time is wise if you absolutely require an early check in before the usual time (as a top tier member they would likely accommodate you but depending on situation they might not have any rooms ready unless you communicate with them about this beforehand). It seems that plenty of people have posted with similar status and received rooms earlier without issue, however, sods law/murphys law will state that if you are arriving from a long haul flight and need a room at 08:00, that will be the one time that no rooms are available...unless you work something out with them beforehand to your satisfaction. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you for an excellent report, BotB. That took a lot of time to prepare. I really appreciated all your comments and pictures.
Thank you, appreciate the kind words. ^

Originally Posted by uggboy
Thanks BotB

Would you stay again in your future with them within this particular chain at this location?

The Park Hyatt is equally a fascinating contrast to the Sofitel Vienna.
Thanks for the praise and comments. ^

Would I stay again? Yes, but with a few caveats;

-i personally prefer the Sofitel over the PH for style and 'attitude' but that is just me so given a one or two night stay only, I'd stay in the Sofitel every time.

-I tend to try and stay one night out of a longer stay in Vienna at the PH, it is lovely and a nice change to other chains I usually visit but as I don't have status and don't stay with Hyatt much, my stays are limited to the points I do accrue with the chain as I don't find the PH value for money at 340 Euro or more a night (for my circumstances). So points and cash are my only option.

-Breakfast is very important to me, I am not a morning person at the best of times so woe behold if I haven't had a quiet 30 minutes to come to terms with the world over some good breads/rolls/pastries and a cappuccino or three. The PH had a lovely setting but it was busy and the made to order specialty coffee takes about 5 minutes to arrive each time so this plays a part in my saying the Sofitel wins as any ordered items never took more than 2-3 minutes to arrive and although the cappuccino was not as good as the PH, the rest of the spread was superior, along with the (for me) much needed quiet and stunning view with more outside ambient light to remind me to be human!

Shades of grey here but I'd not say no to a free night in either, but paying (with points or cash combos) I'd prefer the Sofitel myself but always try to spend a single night here as well if possible to enjoy the differences.

I did find the PH a bit more 'look at me' and generally people have higher expectations for the PH, whereas the Sofitel always seems to surprise people with the quality and design so they are less pretentious there and seem excited to be there instead of giving off the impression that 'oh, yes, we live like this all the time, don't you?' but I am being very black and white here to illustrate the point, it is subtler than that in reality...I just feel more at home in the Sofitel for a longer stay. YMMV!

Hope that helps, long may variety be the spice of life. ^
Old May 4, 2017, 5:38 am

This is a great review by BotB. BTW, the nearest metro stop is Herrengasse, just 150 metres from the hotel (and a direct line from Wien Mitte where the Airport CAT service stops). That said, you need to choose the right exit at Herrengasse as they are not clearly marked on the platform. It's a very handy stop. Stephansplatz is one station away, IIRC.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
This is a great review by BotB. BTW, the nearest metro stop is Herrengasse, just 150 metres from the hotel (and a direct line from Wien Mitte where the Airport CAT service stops). That said, you need to choose the right exit at Herrengasse as they are not clearly marked on the platform. It's a very handy stop. Stephansplatz is one station away, IIRC.
Ah, thanks for the correction, good to know. ^ (and for the kind words).

I also used the CAT train (IIRC 12 Euro one way, slight reduction on a return fare), it was very good, clean and a nice way to transfer into the city regardless of hotel that one is staying at. One benefit of the CAT is that you can check your bags in at the city CAT terminal if you are flying Austrian (but only with them)...I fly hand baggage only so didn't take advantage but a nice feature. I also believe they offer free wifi onboard so allows people to inform folks at home they are safe and sound before getting to the hotel (if they don't have roaming access with their provider).
Old May 4, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by BotB
Ah, thanks for the correction, good to know. ^ (and for the kind words).

I also used the CAT train (IIRC 12 Euro one way, slight reduction on a return fare), it was very good, clean and a nice way to transfer into the city regardless of hotel that one is staying at. One benefit of the CAT is that you can check your bags in at the city CAT terminal if you are flying Austrian (but only with them)...I fly hand baggage only so didn't take advantage but a nice feature. I also believe they offer free wifi onboard so allows people to inform folks at home they are safe and sound before getting to the hotel (if they don't have roaming access with their provider).
I was also going to mention the nearness of Herrengasse-- from the hotel to on board CAT, just under 15 minutes. It is a straight under 5 min walk to the metro, and then 2 stops to Wien Mitte for the CAT.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mauld
I was also going to mention the nearness of Herrengasse-- from the hotel to on board CAT, just under 15 minutes. It is a straight under 5 min walk to the metro, and then 2 stops to Wien Mitte for the CAT.
It's also a 20 minute taxi ride if there's no traffic. €42. With heavy traffic, our inbound taxi ride was 35-40 minutes. For two or more pax, not much savings taking the train.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's also a 20 minute taxi ride if there's no traffic. €42. With heavy traffic, our inbound taxi ride was 35-40 minutes. For two or more pax, not much savings taking the train.
Thanks for the information. Do you mean 20 minute taxi ride form the airport to the hotel? Do we need to reserve taxi ahead of time or just get it from the airport? First time to Vienna. Thank you!
Old May 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
If you keep going straight on (after entering) the main dining room is straight ahead and the rooms (and elevator) are up the stairs and to the right. (not sure how disabled people access the lift...)
I posted this upthread but handicap accessibility is a little nuanced. There are three relatively low (eight inch?) stone steps at the front of the building but no ramp. If you need access without any steps for a wheelchair or with a stroller, there is an alternative. There are no stairs/steps to enter Cafe Am Hof (on the right corner of the hotel when facing the main entrance). In the cafe there is an elevator that takes you up to (i) the level that the Bank restaurant in on and (ii) the level that the lounge is on. From the Bank restaurant you can take the main elevators on the other side on the restaurant up to rooms/down to the main lobby. From the lounge level you can access the glass enclosed elevator that also take you up to rooms and down to the fitness center. I don't know of any way to access the pool as the only access would seem to be down one level from the spa/pool entrance and then back up stairs.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:24 pm

Thanks for the information. Do you mean 20 minute taxi ride form the airport to the hotel? Do we need to reserve taxi ahead of time or just get it from the airport? First time to Vienna. Thank you!
A few options; book something with Uber, book a transfer with the hotel or simply walk out and join the queue for the taxi rank. The taxis here are generally Mercedes E class newer taxis and very clean and safe. You just need to follow the signs at the airport and there are always plenty of taxis there. They are a very light beige / almost white colour for the official taxis. The official airport page for the taxis is here: (please read the note at the bottom of that page)

http://www.viennaairport.com/en/pass...is__limousines

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I posted this upthread but handicap accessibility is a little nuanced. There are three relatively low (eight inch?) stone steps at the front of the building but no ramp. If you need access without any steps for a wheelchair or with a stroller, there is an alternative. There are no stairs/steps to enter Cafe Am Hof (on the right corner of the hotel when facing the main entrance). In the cafe there is an elevator that takes you up to (i) the level that the Bank restaurant in on and (ii) the level that the lounge is on. From the Bank restaurant you can take the main elevators on the other side on the restaurant up to rooms/down to the main lobby. From the lounge level you can access the glass enclosed elevator that also take you up to rooms and down to the fitness center. I don't know of any way to access the pool as the only access would seem to be down one level from the spa/pool entrance and then back up stairs.
Excellent info, thanks, always good to know and a shame that it is quite convoluted for disabled people to get around but at least possible which is not always the case in some places.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do you mean 20 minute taxi ride form the airport to the hotel? Do we need to reserve taxi ahead of time or just get it from the airport?
We came in from the airport on a Friday afternoon in heavy traffic and it took 35-40 minutes. The ride back to the airport on Saturday morning with no traffic took only 20 minutes.

As BotB mentioned, there is a queue for taxis at the terminal. The hotel told us they always have taxis available in front. We had a Mercedes both directions.

I will often take public transit, but it was raining when we arrived, we had heavy bags, and in this case the train would have offered minimal cost savings and required a transfer to the U-Bahn and then a moderately long walk to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.