Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I've been several times on low-demand dates and never gotten less than an ocean view suite.
There's always an exception to the rule.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:09 am

I've been several times on low-demand dates and never gotten less than an ocean view suite.
Am booked for June of next year, concierge was nice and booked me 10 nights for 2 rooms (600k points) BEFORE I had the points transferred in. Am hoping for one of the rooms to be suites, are you saying that you have always gotten suite upgrades upon checking in? My concierge is saying that there is no TSU availability.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Am booked for June of next year, concierge was nice and booked me 10 nights for 2 rooms (600k points) BEFORE I had the points transferred in. Am hoping for one of the rooms to be suites, are you saying that you have always gotten suite upgrades upon checking in? My concierge is saying that there is no TSU availability.
I've always used a TSU. I've only booked a room there when I saw TSU availability.

My point was, even though I was guaranteed a pool suite, I've never stayed in one - I've always gotten a further upgrade.

Frankly, I don't even know if the pool suite is good or bad, but I like the ocean view, and I really like the privacy. Those pool suites seem a little exposed to me.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:13 am

I've always used a TSU. I've only booked a room there when I saw TSU availability.

My point was, even though I was guaranteed a pool suite, I've never stayed in one - I've always gotten a further upgrade.

Frankly, I don't even know if the pool suite is good or bad, but I like the ocean view, and I really like the privacy. Those pool suites seem a little exposed to me.
same. 4 times confirmed in pool suite. always ended up in an ocean suite. i'm fine if i end up in a pool suite - at least once to try it.

it was no favor BEFORE. all globalists (which I assume you are as you mention TSU) can book full points awards on credit with the only requirement that you have the points in account 7 days prior to stay. used this perk a bunch.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Yes am globalist but didn't think 600k in credit was common, am happy about this though.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For those that have always gotten Ocean suite, was this a long stay (7 days)?

I'll be there in November and was thinking of asking for guaranteed Ocean view suite by paying cash on top of TSU?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
For those that have always gotten Ocean suite, was this a long stay (7 days)?

I'll be there in November and was thinking of asking for guaranteed Ocean view suite by paying cash on top of TSU?

Thanks!
I think mine have all been four nights.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
same. 4 times confirmed in pool suite. always ended up in an ocean suite. i'm fine if i end up in a pool suite - at least once to try it.
it was no favor BEFORE. all globalists (which I assume you are as you mention TSU) can book full points awards on credit with the only requirement that you have the points in account 7 days prior to stay. used this perk a bunch.
Wow, somehow I never knew this. I know that Marriott has had a standing policy for many years that allowed that. But even though I've been Diamond/Glob for ~5 years, I had no idea that Hyatt would do that.

I've also actually read the T&C a number of times (though not start to finish, so it's likely I missed something). Is there any details you can point to that shows it's a benefit? I'm just surprised that I've been pretty active with Hyatt, FT, bloggers, etc and never heard about this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Just an update, my concierge got back to me and said that they don't have any Andaz suites available till Sept 2020!!! This property plays games for sure because they require a 10 night minimum stay for awards then don't make andaz suites available for 10 nights..
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:41 pm

those are indeed serious games. i blame WOH program design mostly for providing insufficient revenue to the hotel for a redeemed TSU.

this goes in waves. some blogger will rip into the hotel at some point and you’ll see this loosen up a bit.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Just an update, my concierge got back to me and said that they don't have any Andaz suites available till Sept 2020!!! This property plays games for sure because they require a 10 night minimum stay for awards then don't make andaz suites available for 10 nights..
I see Andaz Suite available in November. Are you referring to suite and award nights on points at the same time?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Correct, andaz Maui requires minimum stays of 10 nights for awards and also then blocks the andaz suite so that its not available for 10 nights so you can't apply a tsu.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I admit that I haven't tested comprehensively, but this does appear to be correct, at least the 10 nights part.

In theory, you could find a stretch you want with suite availability, book ten nights around it on points, shorten the reservation to what you want, then apply the TSU.

But, this is truly getting ridiculous. And the prices here are also increasing rapidly.

Of course, many of us really like this place, so it's hard to argue with the rules of supply and demand.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
As much as I love the Andaz Maui, I think they're stretching too far with the continued games. I love the service and facilities.

The rooms are getting dated and are very bland. The furniture is uncomfortable. I've stayed 6 or 7 times on a mix of cash and full points, and each time have received a worse room (had a dumpster view last time). The Marriott next door is pretty nice after the refresh and quite a bit cheaper.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I admit that I haven't tested comprehensively, but this does appear to be correct, at least the 10 nights part.

In theory, you could find a stretch you want with suite availability, book ten nights around it on points, shorten the reservation to what you want, then apply the TSU.

But, this is truly getting ridiculous. And the prices here are also increasing rapidly.

Of course, many of us really like this place, so it's hard to argue with the rules of supply and demand.
I concur - if you know what to do and how to do it, you can still work within the availability that Andaz Maui provides. But it is annoying that a Hyatt owned and operated property would be intentionally skirting the rules for making availability to the top tier status guests.
josephstern likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.