Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by trev555555
Anyone know what kinda games they're playing with the TSU upgrade suites these days? Is the "Deluxe Ocean View Suite" a suite you can use a TSU for, or is it only the "Andaz Suite"?

Also, do you think the suites have enough space for a family of four (two boys, ages 9 and 6)? Do they give you two roll-aways, or do they have sofa beds or anything like that?
TSU books into only the Andaz Suite, nothing else (hope for an upgrade from that if you like). No games there (other than creating "false" lowest categories.

Yes, suites are huge... room for both on the sofa bed or add a rollaway for two separate "beds". You can also ask for second refrigerator and a microwave to fill out your "kitchen".
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Anyone stay recently? I'm curious if they are still allowing globalist breakfast via room service.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:59 pm

Just returned after spending two weeks at the Andaz. Globalist breakfast benefits are certainly being offered in Ka'ana Kitchen. Good job too as breakfast with 18% service charge is now just over $120 for two - never tried room service but the benefits seem to be the same as in the past for Globalists so I would assume room service breakfast is still offered to Globalists. When we first arrived buffet breakfast was being served by staff behind plastic screens etc, halfway through our stay it changed to self service for most items and the choice increased but probably still not back to pre-pandemic level. Not sure this was a good idea pending the arrival of Omicron in Maui particularly over the busy Xmas/New Year period.
Prices of food/drink have risen sharply - cocktails are now $21 each, grilled cheese lobster sandwich now $38. Food quality seems to have deteriorated in Ka'ana kitchen for dinner and Morrimoto is also not as good as in the past.
Beach is a noticeably smaller after the recent storm.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Anyone stay recently? I'm curious if they are still allowing globalist breakfast via room service.
I don't think so, I asked at check in - they were also not allowing individual orders at breakfast, buffet only. We just left the Andaz to move over to the Regency. Same thoughts about the property as the prior post. We've been here 3 times in the last year, each time different. But it remains a property close to our heart. Ah well, booked for next Christmas time anyways.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sam_goh
I don't think so, I asked at check in - they were also not allowing individual orders at breakfast, buffet only.
In early December I was able to order an omelet or fried eggs with the buffet. I didn't ask about room service.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
That part is still there, yes. I meant off a regular menu.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:33 pm

We have an 8 night stay in the middle of July that I used a TSU on. Does anyone know if July is considered a "high" season compared to the rest of the year? Just wondering about upgrade options to a partial or full ocean view suite. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scrotty
We have an 8 night stay in the middle of July that I used a TSU on. Does anyone know if July is considered a "high" season compared to the rest of the year? Just wondering about upgrade options to a partial or full ocean view suite. Thanks!
These days, I don't think there's any answer to what is 'high' season in Hawaii.

Further, availability at this hotel is very tight always. I honestly wouldn't expect anything other than what you get with the suite upgrade, so an Andaz Suite. If you want more, contact the hotel and see what they'd charge you to get a view.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I thought TSUs were only valid for a maximum of 7 nights?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scrotty
been there annually for years, always using a confirmed suite cert, and never ended up in the plain Andaz Suite - always had the partial ocean view or the pool suite. always during peak holiday weekends in Jan/Feb.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Colin
been there annually for years, always using a confirmed suite cert, and never ended up in the plain Andaz Suite - always had the partial ocean view or the pool suite. always during peak holiday weekends in Jan/Feb.
Same... until this Fall.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
These days, I don't think there's any answer to what is 'high' season in Hawaii.
These days there's only a high season and a very high season. I stayed there December 2020 and they were asking ~$600/night for the lowest room. December 2021 they were asking $1800+ for the same room at the same time (first half of the month). July 2022 looks like $1200+.

It's a great property, but honestly even if I hit the lottery twice I can't see any situation where I'd pay $1200 for a room with no view at this property.
suite2suite and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Colin
I was just there for our 4th time as a globalist, and we ended up in the no view andaz suite with an option to upgrade to partial view suite for $250/night. They wouldn't budge on the paid upgrade prices and the only other suite available for upgrade was the premier suite, but they wanted $3500/night for the upgrade, which was way more than the holiday price difference for the rooms so not sure they even wanted to sell that one. We didn't care about the view and stayed put to save the $250/night. It actually wasn't too bad at all other than the walkway from the spa through the adult pool down to the regular pool and beach goes right by the window, so we pretty much had to keep all the shades down if we wanted any privacy.

The chair situation was pretty nuts everywhere, but I'm guessing that will slow down after the holiday season. They leave towels out overnight and 98% of the chairs on the top couple of levels were gone with a towel and magazine by 7:30am and that is no exaggeration. The beach was slightly better, but there was typically a short line for chairs when the beach crew opened at 7:30am and the last of the first row beach chairs was usually gone around 9am. There were no issues getting 2nd row chairs at the beach later in the day. We actually go out to the pool/beach super early so it was a little frustrating that first morning when over the half the chairs sat all morning with no one using them. Unfortunately you just have to play the game here, and we had no issues getting chairs we wanted going down a little before 7am. They are only supposed to leave chairs unattended for an hour, but unsurprisingly this was never enforced.

Only other service difference we noted was that Morimoto was never open for lunch because of staffing issues and there was no bar service at dinner either. The bartender is still there making drinks for seated guests, but all the chairs have been removed so you can't actually sit at the bar and order anything. Still a solid hotel and on points it's really hard to beat (especially with current prices). Breakfast was really good, but there was typically a 20-30 minute wait from between 9-10am.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I was just there for our 4th time as a globalist, and we ended up in the no view andaz suite with an option to upgrade to partial view suite for $250/night. They wouldn't budge on the paid upgrade prices and the only other suite available for upgrade was the premier suite, but they wanted $3500/night for the upgrade, which was way more than the holiday price difference for the rooms so not sure they even wanted to sell that one. We didn't care about the view and stayed put to save the $250/night. It actually wasn't too bad at all other than the walkway from the spa through the adult pool down to the regular pool and beach goes right by the window, so we pretty much had to keep all the shades down if we wanted any privacy.

The chair situation was pretty nuts everywhere, but I'm guessing that will slow down after the holiday season. They leave towels out overnight and 98% of the chairs on the top couple of levels were gone with a towel and magazine by 7:30am and that is no exaggeration. The beach was slightly better, but there was typically a short line for chairs when the beach crew opened at 7:30am and the last of the first row beach chairs was usually gone around 9am. There were no issues getting 2nd row chairs at the beach later in the day. We actually go out to the pool/beach super early so it was a little frustrating that first morning when over the half the chairs sat all morning with no one using them. Unfortunately you just have to play the game here, and we had no issues getting chairs we wanted going down a little before 7am. They are only supposed to leave chairs unattended for an hour, but unsurprisingly this was never enforced.

Only other service difference we noted was that Morimoto was never open for lunch because of staffing issues and there was no bar service at dinner either. The bartender is still there making drinks for seated guests, but all the chairs have been removed so you can't actually sit at the bar and order anything. Still a solid hotel and on points it's really hard to beat (especially with current prices). Breakfast was really good, but there was typically a 20-30 minute wait from between 9-10am.
What's the globalist breakfast looking like these days? Do they put the "free" snacks and drinks in your room, or do you still have to request them?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Same... until this Fall.
New GM f(rom the Andaz 5th avenue) took over last June or so.

It's consistent with the tightening of TSU suites at the Andaz 5th a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.