Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Finished another great stay. We booked 4 nights (Citi 4th night free) for a full king ocean view - got a good rate months in advance and didn't want to risk not getting a full ocean view. VIP director reached out in advance and was able to secure a room on the top floor in our desired building, although she didn't confirm in advance. This was our 6th stay.

Service seemed a bit more polished this time. Check in was super quick despite us unexpectedly arriving much earlier than I had told them - they knew we had stayed many times and didn't waste time explaining features. Love how smooth the Globalist breakfast benefit runs without having to even mention I'm a globalist. Addressed by name multiple times throughout the hotel. No resort fee. Also had mochi ice cream by the pool this time, which was a nice free treat. Only service issues were with housekeeping - wish they'd clean when we're at breakfast early and turn down happened some nights but not others. It looks like turn down is on request, but we never requested and still happened a few times.

Resort is beautiful, although the rooms are starting to show their age a bit with scuffing. Any idea when they might do a refurbishment, which should include better lanai furniture and improve the terrible bathroom door? Maybe early 2020s since the resort will have been open since 2013?

We will continue to return despite the long travel. I'm also very interested in the Four Seasons Lanai but can't see how it's 2x better at it's steep price point when we already love the Andaz.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:12 pm

I was able to book 3 nights on points for Labor Day weekend a couple days ago -- thought I just got lucky, but I guess they are becoming more lax about availability.

​​​​I saw something about a Kihei parking option, can someone PM the details?

Also, I keep seeing mixed info about the resort fee on paid stays (without status) -- does anyone have first hand experience about being charged or not at this property?

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2018, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sml310
Also, I keep seeing mixed info about the resort fee on paid stays (without status) -- does anyone have first hand experience about being charged or not at this property?
Not sure what you're referring to because there's no ambiguity there. On a paid stay, if not Globalist, you will be charged the resort fee.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:45 pm

I was able to book 3 nights on points for Labor Day weekend a couple days ago -- thought I just got lucky, but I guess they are becoming more lax about availability.

​​​​I saw something about a Kihei parking option, can someone PM the details?

Thanks!
I’ve been searching every few days for Labor Day weekend and I never got any availability
Old May 30, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what you're referring to because there's no ambiguity there. On a paid stay, if not Globalist, you will be charged the resort fee.

Sorry - my mistake. I meant the mixed info about *award* stays. It seems Hyatt policy is that resort fees are waived ok award stays, but Andaz Wailea may or may not be an exception to that policy?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by slm9555

I’ve been searching every few days for Labor Day weekend and I never got any availability
The trick was not including Sunday night. There is still availability for Thurs - Sun that weekend! We are switching to the HR Kanapaali on Sunday.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Does anyone know how how points & cash works here? I've never done, nor even really read what others have done, at any property on points & cash... I've always been a points only person, but I might want to "extend my stay" beyond my current points balance for a stay here. Thx
Old May 30, 2018, 1:44 pm

The trick was not including Sunday night. There is still availability for Thurs - Sun that weekend! We are switching to the HR Kanapaali on Sunday.
Very nice! Unfortunately my flights are booked for 8/31 to 9/4. I would love to do 2 nights at andaz 31-2 but I seem to be stuck with “no availability” despite the fact that’s its available 30-2.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:04 pm

Very nice! Unfortunately my flights are booked for 8/31 to 9/4. I would love to do 2 nights at andaz 31-2 but I seem to be stuck with “no availability” despite the fact that’s its available 30-2.
From past posts, and some experience, it seems the way to do it is to book a longer stay using points (say 8 or 10 nights), then once you have the reservation call and change it to the desired length of stay.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
From past posts, and some experience, it seems the way to do it is to book a longer stay using points (say 8 or 10 nights), then once you have the reservation call and change it to the desired length of stay.
I agree and it will work on 3 nights but I only have 50k points currently
Old May 30, 2018, 4:03 pm

I agree and it will work on 3 nights but I only have 50k points currently
But it won't work for two nights? One can't shorten a longer booked award stay down to 2 nights as one can down to 3 nights? (I don't know, I've only done it to get down to 6 nights, never shorter).
Old May 30, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
But it won't work for two nights? One can't shorten a longer booked award stay down to 2 nights as one can down to 3 nights? (I don't know, I've only done it to get down to 6 nights, never shorter).
I would need to have 75k points in my account to book 3 nights and then drop it down to two nights. I cannot attempt because I only have 50k at the moment.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:31 pm

got a globalist friend?

1) Globalists can book full points awards w/o points in account
2) Hyatt allows name changes on reservations
Old May 30, 2018, 7:55 pm

I would need to have 75k points in my account to book 3 nights and then drop it down to two nights. I cannot attempt because I only have 50k at the moment.
Oh, of course, one would need sufficient points to book the fake reservation of more than desired nights... my bad.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Anybody have experience as an explorist on points stays here? We have six nights coming up, and hoping for a non-parking lot view. Cost to upgrade to an ocean view was quoted at $100 per night+tax. Trying to decided how much to gamble. Our last stay was in the Ocean View and it was nice, never saw the garden or partial view rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.