Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Terrible news. Maui Wailea is now fully booked for award stays during the week I wanted. Damn. Guess I'll have to do an AirBnb for that time and then switch over to the Andaz.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:28 am

Preliminary review after my first night.

Place is awesome. Hard product and soft are both impressive. Not quite as special as Park Hyatt maldives but close enough for a much easier to travel to location. This is one of my favorites Hyatt’s for sure.

I arrived around 12:20pm and met with a friendly host/receptionist who brought over the GM or front desk manager to introduce herself and thank me for my loyalty as a globalist.

I booked 3 nights on points and contacted the hotel in advance to put in a request for a suite and or ocean view room as a globalist member and for my birthday and wedding anniversary. The hotel went above and beyond my expectations as I figured I would probably get stuck with the parking lot view due to a busy holiday weekend. Without any prompting I was informed that I would get a full ocean view suite on the sixth floor. The suite is highly impressive and it was ready for me without a wait.

I got some lunch and returned to the room to find a bottle of champagne, cookies, and small box of chocolate. Another impressive touch.

Food is pricy but this was expected. The quality is very good though. All the staff I have interacted with have been very friendly and easy to talk with. Overall, this is a great resort and beautiful place.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slm9555
Preliminary review after my first night.

Place is awesome. Hard product and soft are both impressive. Not quite as special as Park Hyatt maldives but close enough for a much easier to travel to location. This is one of my favorites Hyatt’s for sure.

I arrived around 12:20pm and met with a friendly host/receptionist who brought over the GM or front desk manager to introduce herself and thank me for my loyalty as a globalist.

I booked 3 nights on points and contacted the hotel in advance to put in a request for a suite and or ocean view room as a globalist member and for my birthday and wedding anniversary. The hotel went above and beyond my expectations as I figured I would probably get stuck with the parking lot view due to a busy holiday weekend. Without any prompting I was informed that I would get a full ocean view suite on the sixth floor. The suite is highly impressive and it was ready for me without a wait.

I got some lunch and returned to the room to find a bottle of champagne, cookies, and small box of chocolate. Another impressive touch.

Food is pricy but this was expected. The quality is very good though. All the staff I have interacted with have been very friendly and easy to talk with. Overall, this is a great resort and beautiful place.
I'm glad you mentioned the PH Maldives. That's one of the things that always crosses my mind when redeeming points. If I spend 25k points on the Andaz Maui, that is 25k I could have used at a place like the Maldives for much higher value.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'm glad you mentioned the PH Maldives. That's one of the things that always crosses my mind when redeeming points. If I spend 25k points on the Andaz Maui, that is 25k I could have used at a place like the Maldives for much higher value.
But with another 20 or so hours of travel each way.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
But with another 20 or so hours of travel each way.
My last trip to the Maldives I was in the EY FIrst Apartment. So 20 hours, or even 40 hours, wouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My last trip to the Maldives I was in the EY FIrst Apartment. So 20 hours, or even 40 hours, wouldn't be a problem.
That sounds fantastic.

But be sure to add all of those miles to get an apples to apples comparison.

From California, it takes less than 75K miles to get to Maui in First in most cases. Plus four nights at the Andaz is 175K.

How many miles was the EY flight, roundtrip?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:38 am
Suspended

That sounds fantastic.

But be sure to add all of those miles to get an apples to apples comparison.

From California, it takes less than 75K miles to get to Maui in First in most cases. Plus four nights at the Andaz is 175K.

How many miles was the EY flight, roundtrip?
I actually spent 2 months in Asia. Initial flight was CX F from ORD-HKG. Then return was from Maldives via EY F Apartment. It was 115,000 AA miles (one way) which I consider almost worthless except for a few sweet spots and this was one of them.

But yes, I get what you're saying about the miles adding up. No doubt about that.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I actually spent 2 months in Asia. Initial flight was CX F from ORD-HKG. Then return was from Maldives via EY F Apartment. It was 115,000 AA miles (one way) which I consider almost worthless except for a few sweet spots and this was one of them.
But yes, I get what you're saying about the miles adding up. No doubt about that.
Also not to mention that for most of us in addition to the additional 24 hours of travel, that's an extra vacation day each way. Plus an additional day of feeling out-of-sorts from the timezone changes.

Maldives sounds wonderful - I just don't have the resources (time, money, miles) to make it work. Hawaii though, is much easier and looking forward to another visit
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:54 am

I would agree with the above comments that PH M and Andaz Maui is not really an apples to apples comparison. PH M is a special and remote place that’s great to celebrate milestones such as an aniversary or special occasion. You’re also stuck on the island and cannot explore outside of the resort itself. Andaz Maui is fantastic for more or an ordinary, not traveling to the other side of the world kind of vacation and there is more to do. When I went to the Maldives I was already in Europe for 4 nights to break up the flight. It’s too far for me to go direct.

Andaz Maui is a fantastic use of 25k night. In my case with the Hyatt CC rebate it’s only 22.5k/night, which is an unbelievable value considering the ocean view suite I was upgraded to.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by slm9555
I would agree with the above comments that PH M and Andaz Maui is not really an apples to apples comparison. PH M is a special and remote place that’s great to celebrate milestones such as an aniversary or special occasion. You’re also stuck on the island and cannot explore outside of the resort itself. Andaz Maui is fantastic for more or an ordinary, not traveling to the other side of the world kind of vacation and there is more to do. When I went to the Maldives I was already in Europe for 4 nights to break up the flight. It’s too far for me to go direct.

Andaz Maui is a fantastic use of 25k night. In my case with the Hyatt CC rebate it’s only 22.5k/night, which is an unbelievable value considering the ocean view suite I was upgraded to.
These kind of points are very important and something I think people often forget here.

Everybody is always in a rush to talk about the Maldives or whatever other currently hot super remote place. Yes, that is awesome and all, but for many people there is a lot more "value" (even if not in the strictest $/pt sense) in redemptions at other places that can still achieve great value.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by KParks
These kind of points are very important and something I think people often forget here.

Everybody is always in a rush to talk about the Maldives or whatever other currently hot super remote place. Yes, that is awesome and all, but for many people there is a lot more "value" (even if not in the strictest $/pt sense) in redemptions at other places that can still achieve great value.
How does one get the 10% rebate on points used? I'm Diamond, have the Hyatt CC... but I don't think I've received that rebate. Thx
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
How does one get the 10% rebate on points used? I'm Diamond, have the Hyatt CC... but I don't think I've received that rebate. Thx
I think the OP there was referring to an occasional promotion that Hyatt and Chase offer. I don't believe it to be in force currently.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I think the OP there was referring to an occasional promotion that Hyatt and Chase offer. I don't believe it to be in force currently.
Yes, I think you're right. There is such a promo running now or soon, but expiring by the time I do my late-Oct all points trip stay. Thx
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, there is one right now:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ointsback.html
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KParks

Absolutely. If you want to go one higher in the grand scheme of value proposition. Hyatt Ziva's are a fantastic points per value booking, given they are all inclusive. We love the Ziva in Cabo, and as far as AI goes, it's one of the best.

In the past year we've redeemed at the PH Maldives, Andaz Maui, and Ziva Los Cabos. All were around 20-25k points per night. All were great values, despite the different nature of each stay. At the end of the day, points are a way to simply augment your spend for a trip. The same person can extract different levels of perceived value depending on what they want. On purely a "cash savings" basis Maldives comes up a lot, as does PH Vendome/PH Tokyo, because you are normally spending $600-700 per night (or more) plus tax. Thus your 25k or 30k points are a great redemption value. But there is also great value for having a nice property within a short flight as well. That brings "added value" to the redemption. It was actually a hard toss up for me this last trip between Ziva in Cabo for 20k all inclusive vs. Andaz Maui at 25k /night for the family. Maui won out because we wanted the "island" feel and the quieter nature of Wailea, but felt both are great "values" when it comes to redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.