FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

nittanydave Sep 5, 2013 6:36 pm

kid friendly at Andaz?

wondering if the Andaz has enough for children ages 9 and 6 or if we should stay at the (less desireable otherwise) Hyatt in Kanapalli?

gmax58 Sep 5, 2013 7:36 pm

I got so excited about the car in the video (Tesla Model S) but I'm guessing it's not the shuttle service. Oh well. :)

Milezjunkie Sep 5, 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by nittanydave (Post 21395853)
wondering if the Andaz has enough for children ages 9 and 6 or if we should stay at the (less desireable otherwise) Hyatt in Kanapalli?

They do have a kid's club and activities for them. The resort is pretty empty since it just opened and is low season in Sept. I haven't noticed the kid activities. It's nothing like the Grand Wailea with the water slide pools though. That is hard to top.

Ancien Maestro Sep 5, 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 21393410)
I consider it acceptable (compared to neighboring hotels) SINCE this property does not have a resort fee, so it's sort of a wash. I recently came back from a stay at the Marriott next door, and they have a $30/day resort fee (which doesn't include internet for those who are not Gold/Plat!) which is inclusive of self parking.

The Hyatt in Maui has a $25/day resort fee + $14/day charge for self parking, so that's even more.

Just to add.. Fairmont Kea Lani has no resort fee. Self Parking fee this year, is the first year this has been implemented.

Assuming the above discussion, there is no resort fee for the Andaz.

Originally Posted by nittanydave (Post 21395853)

The water fall pools are quite high and bit of a concern to us when walking the property. We have no problems lounging on higher tiers, and the long row of steps is ok if navigated carefully. I would say the bottom lagoon pool is the safest. Having said that, I think Grand Wailea, HR Maui, Fairmont Kea Lani has nicer facilities for the kids right now. I'm not sure if Andaz will add a slide.

LASUA1K Sep 5, 2013 8:46 pm

Still no pictures? I'll be there first week of October, I'll make sure to take pictures.

LIH Prem Sep 5, 2013 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 21394134)
$30 is ridiculous - especially considering maui is bare not even one mile inland. they're charging $30 because you have to have money to stay at places like this most of the time. $30 compared to $500 a night is nothing.

there's a big difference between ocean front property and inland property.

-David

LIH Prem Sep 5, 2013 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 21396435)
Still no pictures? I'll be there first week of October, I'll make sure to take pictures.

lots of complaining, just no pictures yet. :D

typical flyertalk.

-David

dw Sep 6, 2013 8:25 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 21396443)
there's a big difference between ocean front property and inland property.

If it makes people feel better about the $30 valet, I even had to pay $10/night at the Courtyard at OGG for SELF PARKING!

Achilles Sep 6, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 21394358)
Exactly-- they are charging it b/c they can, just like any other property that has mandatory valet.

It's definitely along the lines of what other Wailea properties charge:

Marriott: Self-parking- free (part of resort fee); Valet: $30
Grand Wailea: Valet: $30
Fairmont Kea Lani: Self-parking- $15; Valet: $25
Four Seasons: Valet: $22

In total contrast to Grand Hyatt Kauai where self-parking is free. Why is Maui so special?

schriste Sep 6, 2013 8:50 am

One of the reviews on Tripadvisor mentions they play “clubish” music "ALL" night long in the common pool areas "which may be bothersome if your room is there". The image of the resort I had built up in my mind until reading this was of an architecturally interesting, luxurious resort with great rooms, views, and great staff. A place where you can hear the ocean.

That’s still probably all true, but I’m beginning to realize that my idealized version of what I want the Andaz Maui to be may, or may not be what it actually is. So... what exactly is the overall “vibe” of the resort?

I personally am looking for a quiet relaxed place (which it may be), not a “hip W hotel” sort of place (I'm not saying it is).

FWIW, I do like the other Andaz hotels I have stayed at (both of the NYC ones).

salvag Sep 6, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by schriste (Post 21398821)
One of the reviews on Tripadvisor mentions they play “clubish” music ALL night long in the common pool areas (and Hawaiian music during the day). The image of the resort I had built up in my mind up until reading this was of an architecturally interesting, luxurious resort with great rooms, views, and great staff. Now I’m beginning to worry about the other side of the resort coin… loud music, noise and screaming kids running around. So… what is the overall “vibe”?

Who said anything about screaming kids? If you're worried about kids, there is an adult only pool. Also, "clubish" probably just means popular music. Is this such a horrible thing? And it's only at night. It's not like they are going to be blaring it so loudly that you won't be able to sleep.

Stop worrying about such petty things.

funtrainsf Sep 6, 2013 9:08 am

I just cut to the chase and booked myself straight into Andaz Suite using suite award nights and upgrades. Can not wait!

ryandc99 Sep 6, 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 21396448)
lots of complaining, just no pictures yet. :D

typical flyertalk.

-David

I arrive this afternoon. I am not aware of a way to post photos from an iPhone to Flyertalk. Another poster mentioned the same. I will upload some photos to mile point this afternoon

m0hamed Sep 6, 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 21400693)
I arrive this afternoon. I am not aware of a way to post photos from an iPhone to Flyertalk. Another poster mentioned the same. I will upload some photos to mile point this afternoon

Post to a hosting service like image shak then just click the photo option (above) when posting and it will populate the HTML.

Ancien Maestro Sep 6, 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21398933)
I just cut to the chase and booked myself straight into Andaz Suite using suite award nights and upgrades. Can not wait!

Chase free nights in a suite.. Did you use Upgrade certs or points on the balance of your reservation?

canyonleo Sep 6, 2013 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21395663)
Sharks and $30 a day parking... I'm cancelling my Christmas reservations pronto! j/k :)

If you're into scuba, seeing sharks is a good thing :)
(although I'll be spooked if it's my first tiger shark)

funtrainsf Sep 6, 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21400801)
Chase free nights in a suite.. Did you use Upgrade certs or points on the balance of your reservation?

Did the Upgrade Certs with a AAA rate.

Ancien Maestro Sep 6, 2013 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21401821)
Did the Upgrade Certs with a AAA rate.

Perfect way to go.^

How many nights are you staying?

Regarding the overall vibe of the resort.. I'm not good with words.. but perhaps 'contemporary eclectic' is a description? Can't comment on the music as it was shut off when we visited. But, it was certainly a lively atmosphere.. the staff there was having a great time around the pool, and while dining at Ka'ana.

LIH Prem Sep 7, 2013 2:55 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 21400693)

you post them to a photo sharing web site, then use the IMG tag here.

-David

funtrainsf Sep 7, 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21402446)
Perfect way to go.^

How many nights are you staying?

Regarding the overall vibe of the resort.. I'm not good with words.. but perhaps 'contemporary eclectic' is a description? Can't comment on the music as it was shut off when we visited. But, it was certainly a lively atmosphere.. the staff there was having a great time around the pool, and while dining at Ka'ana.

Sadly only 3 nights. But I expect them to be 3 wonderful nights/days.

Ancien Maestro Sep 7, 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21404150)
Sadly only 3 nights. But I expect them to be 3 wonderful nights/days.

Wow.. I would have maxed it out as much as possible.

Did you check into whether you can upgrade into a suite with points? The cert is pretty valuable, I tend to do 5 night minimums with the certs, but understand sometimes stay credits need to be accumulated. But, your 3 nights are going to count toward 1 stay (that is if your objective is to qualify GP by stays).

Or were you wanting to stay longer but the availability wasn't there?

funtrainsf Sep 7, 2013 10:53 am

That's the only length of time I have available at the hotel on this trip. I have 3 upgrade certs that all expire early next year with no vision of usage necessary for the rest of the year.

They did offer me to use points to upgrade, but at a higher room rate.

I don't have any 5-day vacations coming up prior to expiration.

Don't need the stay credit or nights since already qualified for Diamond through 2/15.

Ancien Maestro Sep 7, 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21404219)
That's the only length of time I have available at the hotel on this trip. I have 3 upgrade certs that all expire early next year with no vision of usage necessary for the rest of the year.

They did offer me to use points to upgrade, but at a higher room rate.

I don't have any 5-day vacations coming up prior to expiration.

Don't need the stay credit or nights since already qualified for Diamond through 2/15.

Sounds good.. perfect scenario to burn.

Your chase suite nights.. when do they expire? I guess if after January 1st, 2014 you've already evaluated if you get enough value elsewhere than Andaz Maui, for stay qualification after next year.

funtrainsf Sep 7, 2013 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21404232)
Sounds good.. perfect scenario to burn.

Your chase suite nights.. when do they expire? I guess if after January 1st, 2014 you've already evaluated if you get enough value elsewhere than Andaz Maui, for stay qualification after next year.

I actually just got those (expire 9/14). Maybe I can get better use next year, but right now I see nothing setting up for their use. I would kick myself if I get near expiration with nothing of quality coming up.

The basis of my usage in Maui is that it's part of my 40th birthday trip and I wanted to guarantee myself into a Suite with the least money spent for the 3 nights. Right now it will cost me $368 (+ tax), 2 suite awards, 1 upgrade cert.

I'm always open to being educated in better value. I wanted to use all points for the last night, but the hotel wouldn't let me. They also said it would be $659 (plus tax) and 6K GPs for that 3rd night. While I do see the better value in that, I just don't see me using the saved upgrade for anything prior to 2/14.

salvag Sep 7, 2013 12:19 pm

Great pics everyone!

bjs1234 Sep 7, 2013 12:26 pm

Arrived Friday, beautiful place. Will update with more thoughts later, but I know everyone is wanting to see some pictures so here goes. We are in a partial ocean view king.

http://imgur.com/a/Dyjnz

Maui4me1 Sep 7, 2013 12:42 pm

Great pictures. Thanks. We will be there on the 15Th.

PapaSmurf Sep 7, 2013 1:23 pm

Here is a picture of the pool(s) - http://i.imgur.com/DGGB9ZG.jpg

PapaSmurf Sep 7, 2013 1:35 pm

Few more:

Entry - http://i.imgur.com/TVWG6II.jpg
Lobby - http://i.imgur.com/ElTAsvv.jpg
Hallway - http://i.imgur.com/kB1JO4g.jpg
View from partial ocean room - http://i.imgur.com/86tP2bD.jpg
Welcome gift - http://i.imgur.com/OAJpJjI.jpg

hawkswin Sep 7, 2013 3:59 pm

Long time lurker on FT but wanted to chime in on the property as we got here last night.

I'm literally sitting in the room wearing my noise cancelling headphones because the generic Hawaiian music is so loud. It started around 8:30am and had we not been up already, it would've woken us as the music piped into the common area easily filters through the glass doors like having a very noisy neighbor. Initially I thought it might be a ploy to disguise construction noise but there isn't any that seems to be going on at the moment. People come to Hawaii to hear waves crashing and the breeze through the trees, not what they're playing for sure. I've lived downtown in major cities for the past 15 years so noise pollution is something I'm used to but even the Andaz Fifth Ave is NYC is more tranquil than this. :mad:

Like an earlier poster noted, the property does otherwise seem like it's been open for a while as it runs smooth with only one exception I could find so far. Last night we had the lights turn on multiple times and the blackout shades lift then drop about 30 minutes later. After waking up the third time at 4am from it, we just left the lights on and struggled back to sleep. Apparently it's a setting that is supposed to wow the guest upon seeing the room the first time the door is opened by turning on lights and then lifting the shade. Why it didn't get properly reset or turned off I'm still trying to figure out and haven't gotten much response on if it'll happen again or not.

Other than those growing pains, the location is great, internet is fast, staff is very friendly (perhaps too much actually), breakfast is amazing and the design of the hotel is beautiful.

Not sure if I'd suggest others to come here yet, down the line probably but if I had to book a return trip to Wailea I'd stick w/the other standards down the street.

Milezjunkie Sep 7, 2013 4:27 pm

Keep in mind, this resort is catering to the younger and hipper crowd. I don't find the island music loud and I find it funny you have to sit on the balcony with noise canceling headphones! :D This hotel does have a kid club but if you want a very kid-friendly go to the Grand Wailea.

There is an adult-only serenity pool that is silent aside from some construction at a neighboring property (I don't think this is long-term, they were just smashing rocks and it sounded like a train).

I agree the staff is just a little too friendly. They are fully staffed yet low occupancy so the staff is trying to give every guest a lot of attention so its difficult to walk around the resort without every single employee you pass greeting you or asking how your day is going. It's a little much. Once it's busy they won't have the time to talk to everyone.

tjbrooks Sep 7, 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf (Post 21404888)
Welcome gift - http://i.imgur.com/OAJpJjI.jpg

Oh god, is that white chocolate with lilikoi?

rrez Sep 7, 2013 7:07 pm

Diamond amenity

Has the diamond amenity been covered

PapaSmurf Sep 7, 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 21405747)
Oh god, is that white chocolate with lilikoi?

Yes, it was actually good.

rrez Sep 7, 2013 7:14 pm

Didn't know if that was a welcome gift for all. Diamond amenities usually involve a choice of 3-4 items.

PapaSmurf Sep 7, 2013 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by hawkswin (Post 21405424)
Last night we had the lights turn on multiple times and the blackout shades lift then drop about 30 minutes later. After waking up the third time at 4am from it, we just left the lights on and struggled back to sleep. Apparently it's a setting that is supposed to wow the guest upon seeing the room the first time the door is opened by turning on lights and then lifting the shade. Why it didn't get properly reset or turned off I'm still trying to figure out and haven't gotten much response on if it'll happen again or not.

Exactly the same thing happened to us on the second night. Three times during the night (roughly every hour) all of the lights in the room turned on while at the same time the shades have opened. Let's just say that it's quite unpleasant to be woken up like that.

FD1971 Sep 8, 2013 3:38 am

Originally Posted by bjs1234 (Post 21404648)
Arrived Friday, beautiful place. Will update with more thoughts later, but I know everyone is wanting to see some pictures so here goes. We are in a partial ocean view king.

http://imgur.com/a/Dyjnz

Thanks for the pictures^

+
nice tiles on the balcony (less dirt in comparison to the often rather cheap finishing on balconies in the US)
beautiful pieces of wood in the bathroon, it also looks like Grohe appliances

-
not really upscale furniture and a rather boring Standard room set up
the pool looks like a 1970´s resort pool that will become crowded fast

First Impression after seeing some pics now is the same as months ago, pretty expensive for nothing really spectacular.

Not that the competition down the road is cheap, but at least the Grand Wailea is Grand in almost everything you can imagine.

FD1971 Sep 8, 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 21393235)
We use our car daily - we're not hang out at the pool types.

But, $200+ for a week of parking is enough to get me to change hotels.
There must be some parking nearby - hopefully someone can provide an update on their experiences in the weeks to come. I suppose I can take the SUV shuttle to some street parking less than a mile away.

There is free parking at the Wailea Tennis Club, about half a mile away from the Andaz, the last 150 yards are up the hill and it is a pretty steep incline.

You could also park your car at the mall (Shops at Wailea) at the crossroads of Wailea Ike and Wailea Alanui Drive, about 400-500 Yards away.

I do not know, if overnight parking is possible, though.

ma91pmh Sep 8, 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 21407276)

First Impression after seeing some pics now is the same as months ago, pretty expensive for nothing really spectacular.

I think you could say that about EVERYTHING in Hawaii :D

JetAway Sep 8, 2013 7:40 am

Looks nice but not particularly exciting.