FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

m0hamed Oct 7, 13 12:09 am


Originally Posted by HawaiiTraveler1 (Post 21565708)
I attended the grand opening of the Andaz in Wailea and they had a DJ and live drummer playing by the fire pit. I went last week and there was a guy playing guitar by the bar?? meh

The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.

HawaiiTraveler1 Oct 7, 13 12:52 am

music
 

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21565776)
The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.

Most of us do want a DJ playing music every night

m0hamed Oct 7, 13 12:55 am


Originally Posted by HawaiiTraveler1 (Post 21565870)
Most of us do want a DJ playing music every night

Read upthread. The numbers aren't in your favour. Oh, and welcome to FT.

RTW1 Oct 7, 13 1:09 am


Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21565879)
Read upthread. The numbers aren't in your favour. Oh, and welcome to FT.

Exactly.... I would have nothing against any music playing as long as it wouldn't bother me when staying in my room or even sitting on my balcony. I actually prefer to hear the ocean when I'm in Hawaii..... I don't need the constant entertainment/noise that others seem to crave. When I want music there's always an iPod or plenty of clubs.

FD1971 Oct 7, 13 3:45 am


Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21565903)
Exactly.... I would have nothing against any music playing as long as it wouldn't bother me when staying in my room or even sitting on my balcony. I actually prefer to hear the ocean when I'm in Hawaii..... I don't need the constant entertainment/noise that others seem to crave. When I want music there's always an iPod or plenty of clubs.


Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21565776)
The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.

Sorry folks, but you clearly do not get the vibe.

This is an Andaz we are talking about, a hip place meant to cater to Millennials/Gen. Y customers like HawaiiTraveler1.

Please stay elsewhere in the future.

I hate to pass around your crutches and walkers by the pool every time I am going to the bar to order an $ 18 cocktail made from organic knotweed sourced locally.

BTW, does anyone know whether or not the DJ Station is made from recycled material. I can only hope it is, otherwise my faith in the brand would be lost forever...

RTW1 Oct 7, 13 4:07 am

Damn.... just as I can afford to stay at an Andaz you are telling me I'm too old to be hip :(.

But really.... for the Andaz San Diego I get it. But for Hawaii.... just go clubbing in Honolulu.

eltex Oct 7, 13 4:34 am


Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21566307)
Damn.... just as I can afford to stay at an Andaz you are telling me I'm too old to be hip :(.

You may be too old to be hip, but are you hip to be square? It seems like a lot of what the Andaz about is what I call 'form'. They choose form over function, in everything from sinks, to furniture, and to music selection. As long as they listen and adapt over time, this will work itself out. However, if they ever seem to stop listening to feedback and start pushing the Andaz way over the customer experience,then it will be trouble. That was a big reason I still have GHK chosen as my Hawaii vacation, and not the 'Daz.

Mary2e Oct 7, 13 7:17 am


Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21565776)
The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.

Agreed. I would be at the front desk after the first night. I don't go to Hawaii to listen to a DJ.

salvag Oct 7, 13 8:58 am


Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 21566867)
I don't go to Hawaii to listen to a DJ.

Nor does anyone. What a stupid statement. I find it rediculous that some people won't come here because they may or may not have a DJ playing music by the pool.

For the few that have written detailed reviews, thank you. For the rest of you that have nothing better to do than nitpick over hypotheticals, please go somewhere else.

FD1971 Oct 7, 13 9:26 am


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21424720)
I agree with everything you said. The amount of nitpicking in this thread is comical. Whaaaaaaa the music is too loud and the chairs hurt my butt. Whaaaaaa I can't rinse my bathing suit and the fruit..... DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FRUIT!! The hotel has been open for a week and this is what people are complaining about? I'd say that is a pretty good opening if this is the worst people have to say. You expect this place to be 100% perfect on day 1? I don't think any hotel could manage that. This is why I booked in November. Everything will be perfected by then. Honestly though, get real people.


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21439534)
Past performance of OTHER Andaz properties is certainly no guarantee of future results of THIS Andaz. Pessimistic much?


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21567377)
Nor does anyone. What a stupid statement. I find it rediculous that some people won't come here because they may or may not have a DJ playing music by the pool.
For the few that have written detailed reviews, thank you. For the rest of you that have nothing better to do than nitpick over hypotheticals, please go somewhere else.

Just wow!

Are you working for the Ždaz? @:-)

Well, to tell you the truth. Many people with lots of experience have left the Hyatt forum in recent years and the brain drain was massive. Some of the old guys like Mary are still around and provide very good comments, which are highly appreciated.

After just 20 posts, you probably simply do not know that Hyatt does not really have a good track record for their high end properties in the US. They destroyed the Park Hatt brand with mediocre properties like LA or New York not to mention Philly, they never established any brand reputation for Andaz and their track record in Hawaii is also spotty at best.

Wailea or Waikoloa, anyone? Or maybe, a standard room at the Regency Maui? :p:D

Some people provided brilliant feedback in this thread and if I work for the Andaz, I would be on the phone with HQ constantly. It seems to me that yet another high end property will not really hit it off…judging from perspectives re. yields and target groups. Maybe, it is too early to tell, but the signs are there.

And for $ 500 a night, I can get high quality treatment at numerous hotels next door

JetAway Oct 7, 13 9:29 am

If this hotel really is targeting Millennials and GenYs, then good luck to that. Most people I know in those categories either 1) don't go to Hawaii for leisure and/or 2) because of the economy don't have the money to spend at a place like the Andaz.

Mary2e Oct 7, 13 9:32 am


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21567377)
Nor does anyone. What a stupid statement. I find it rediculous that some people won't come here because they may or may not have a DJ playing music by the pool.

For the few that have written detailed reviews, thank you. For the rest of you that have nothing better to do than nitpick over hypotheticals, please go somewhere else.

Ridiculous or not, if there was a DJ playing all day near enough to my room for me to hear it, I would complain, and if I couldn't be moved to a better/quieter room, I would find somewhere else to stay.

I want to hear the ocean when I sit outdoors in Hawaii, not recorded music of any kind.

So yes, if reports come back that there's a DJ at the pool everyday that could be heard from the rooms, I would stay elsewhere.

Mary2e Oct 7, 13 9:35 am


Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 21567575)
If this hotel really is targeting Millennials and GenYs, then good luck to that. Most people I know in those categories either 1) don't go to Hawaii for leisure and/or 2) because of the economy don't have the money to spend at a place like the Andaz.

I thought the exact same thing. The price is just too high for that demographic, even in the economy I was in at that age :)

I told the rooms manager at the HR Waikiki that decorating for the Millennials and GenYs isn't going to pay off. There are more of us right now than of them, and we have money to spend :D

Ancien Maestro Oct 7, 13 9:35 am

Ill give the DJ, or the pool music that Andaz puts out a shot. I'm going to be open minded prior to staying there. I didn't hear any music when doing our tour prior to opening. But there was an upbeat atmosphere, those who were there, and the employees celebrating at Ka'ana.

I'm 38 years and a Gen Xer..

Maui4me1 Oct 7, 13 9:46 am


Originally Posted by HawaiiTraveler1 (Post 21565870)
Most of us do want a DJ playing music every night

Not me

Mommy Points Oct 7, 13 10:21 am

I really think the music thing is being way over-hyped here. The few days we were there shortly after opening it simply was not an issue, and it sounds like it might have been toned down some even from that. I do remember a DJ/conga player there the one Saturday night we were there for a few hours. I don't think that to be inappropriate for a Saturday night, nor do I recall it being offensive or overly loud. It is possible those with rooms closest to the DJ had a different opinion, but we couldn't hear it at all from our room (which wasn't all that far from the DJ station).

There is some background music at the pools, but again I don't recall it at all being a negative thing. It was simply background music, and I don't think you hear it while on the beach. I certainly didn't hear it from my room, and am pretty sure you don't hear it at the "tranquility pool".

Granted, my husband and I are 32 and 39, so perhaps we are in the target age range for this, but we would not appreciate "club like" music on our Hawaii trip, and thankfully we didn't hear anything remotely like that at the Andaz.

I think that good food, yummy drinks, amazing views, great beach, etc. are appealing to pretty much every age group, so I don't see this resort turning off any one age group in droves due to one tiny thing or another. There are some things I think they can improve on over time (cushions on the patios, couch in the suites, etc) but considering we were there days after opening, it was an amazing hotel with a great staff.

LASUA1K Oct 7, 13 10:44 am


Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 21567615)
I thought the exact same thing. The price is just too high for that demographic, even in the economy I was in at that age :)

I told the rooms manager at the HR Waikiki that decorating for the Millennials and GenYs isn't going to pay off. There are more of us right now than of them, and we have money to spend :D

I'm not sure about that. I'm 35 married, 3 young kids, we consider ourselves, somewhat young still.. :) I love trendy new rooms like the Andaz abd W's, but I also like the classy old school rooms at the Peninsula. I love the new trend at some midwest Hyatts, that have added very modern bars and restaurants in the common areas. I think people of all ages like the modern look better than what Waikiki has now. Waikiki in general is getting more modern and trendy rooms lately at all hotels.

As far as music, I like a little music at night while on vacation, nothing too loud but around the pool area, I really don't mind it. When I'm on the beach, different story, I want quiet, but at the pool I really don't mind music.

People would rather choose a trendy Hyatt in Louisville, than a basic typical room at the Hilton Louisville. Either way, Hyatt Waikiki needs a renovation badly, and trendy but classy is the best way to go. Spending money on a basic remodel of rooms, is really a waste, people will spend more if the room is trendy. I work with people of all ages, and I love seeing the 55+ year olds, staying at the W. Hopefully I'm still cool enough at 55.

Mary2e Oct 7, 13 10:45 am

Waikiki is about to start another rooms reno... we saw the model rooms and gave our opinion, which is to stop trying to be trendy like W hotels. :)

RTW1 Oct 7, 13 11:14 am


Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 21568099)
I'm 35 married, 3 young kids, we consider ourselves, somewhat young still.. :) I love trendy new rooms like the Andaz abd W's, but I also like the classy old school rooms at the Peninsula.

Oh man.... a bit older and kids. Definitely not Andaz material :-).

But kidding aside.... what I feel these places mostly don't seem to grasp is that there is a time and place for everything. Just like design in a room needs something more than beauty alone.

For instance, playing music in (public) spaces were you would expect it is fine and possibly even a plus. But if that music intrudes in spaces were people have other expectations, like enjoying a quiet sunset on a balcony or (god forbid) sleeping, then you are doing something wrong.

Just like have a (semi) designer seat on your balcony that is so uncomfortable that people need to bring a cushion from somewhere else or simply don't use the balcony, then you know they haven't really thought things through.

A simple test forcing designers to stay for a few weeks in a room they have designed would change things considerably I feel :-). It's fine when you are working that there is (loud) music. Kills the boredom. But I'm sure you will feel different after a few nights or arriving with some jet lag and going without any peace and quiet. I feel that sound intruding in a room is a universal bad thing....

But it will be interesting to read newer reviews if they have learned anything. Everything looks very nice otherwise.

LASUA1K Oct 7, 13 11:23 am


Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21568296)
Oh man.... a bit older and kids. Definitely not Andaz material :-).

But kidding aside.... what I feel these places mostly don't seem to grasp is that there is a time and place for everything. Just like design in a room needs something more than beauty alone.

For instance, playing music in (public) spaces were you would expect it is fine and possibly even a plus. But if that music intrudes in spaces were people have other expectations, like enjoying a quiet sunset on a balcony or (god forbid) sleeping, then you are doing something wrong.

Just like have a (semi) designer seat on your balcony that is so uncomfortable that people need to bring a cushion from somewhere else or simply don't use the balcony, then you know they haven't really thought things through.

A simple test forcing designers to stay for a few weeks in a room they have designed would change things considerably I feel :-). It's fine when you are working that there is (loud) music. Kills the boredom. But I'm sure you will feel different after a few nights or arriving with some jet lag and going without any peace and quiet. I feel that sound intruding in a room is a universal bad thing....

But it will be interesting to read newer reviews if they have learned anything. Everything looks very nice otherwise.

:)

I'm planning on a 10 night stay in May... The entire gang is coming.. I'll let everyone know how the family does..

I'll be at Hyatt Waikiki in 2 weeks, it would be nice to see what the renovation will look like.. I would love to give my 2 cents also..

singtx Oct 7, 13 1:40 pm

One night stay
 
We loved this hotel. Lemonade to drink and infused towel to clean your hands and face. Sandals and an eco friendly bag provided...along with water bottles to refill throughout the complex. Staff was great...all around. They shipped two boxes for us at cost! ZERO silly service charges. Goodbye gifts upon leaving.

808 deli and monkey pod were great options for food. Get the homemade icecream cookie sandwiches from the pool bar... they were fantastic.

m0hamed Oct 7, 13 3:19 pm

Funny, staff we spoke to said that obviously didn't include any gays or women as part of the design process, hence the unfit furniture...

calflygirl Oct 8, 13 10:09 am

I know it's very subjective, but I'm wondering if anyone who has visited has an opinion on whether it's worth it to book a suite, rather than a standard room, with points. I would definitely upgrade if I were paying for the stay, but I'm now debating between booking an award stay and paying $75/night to upgrade to a standard room with partial ocean view. Or just to dish out the 33,000 points each night.

Note, I'm using a 2 night standard room cert and 3 nights with points. I was hoping that I could maybe book the first 3 nights in a suite and maybe the hotel would be nice enough not to boot us to a standard room the last 2 nights. We're going in January around MLK weekend.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

suite2suite Oct 8, 13 12:03 pm


Originally Posted by calflygirl (Post 21573731)
I know it's very subjective, but I'm wondering if anyone who has visited has an opinion on whether it's worth it to book a suite, rather than a standard room, with points. I would definitely upgrade if I were paying for the stay, but I'm now debating between booking an award stay and paying $75/night to upgrade to a standard room with partial ocean view. Or just to dish out the 33,000 points each night.

Note, I'm using a 2 night standard room cert and 3 nights with points. I was hoping that I could maybe book the first 3 nights in a suite and maybe the hotel would be nice enough not to boot us to a standard room the last 2 nights. We're going in January around MLK weekend.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

I would go for the Suite for anything longer than two nights, especially when it is has a separate bedroom.

It is like staying in a small apartment rather than in just a room,
unless of course the room is like a junior suite (500+sq ft) which it isn't.

funtrainsf Oct 8, 13 3:48 pm

I can't make up my mind on how to pay for my 3 nights there. I have a few options.

I want to be in the Andaz Suite, and here are my options:

1) Use 2 Suite Award nights (from Hyatt CC) and pay for 1 night regular room ($313+tax) and use Diamond Upgrade cert for upgrade into Suite.

2) Use 99K points for suite (dunno if this one is an option yet)

3) Pay $313 (plus tax) per night (rate using 15% discount code for dates I am going) and use Diamond Upgrade cert into suite.

Don't know any other option, but if there is one please advise.

In my bank I have 2 suite award night certs (good until 9/14), 3 diamond upgrade certs to be used by 2/14, 150K GP available.

What would you do?

I don't have any good forecasted stays are Hyatts in the next year (nothing other than work trips).

eltex Oct 8, 13 6:01 pm


Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21575682)
...
1) Use 2 Suite Award nights (from Hyatt CC) and pay for 1 night regular room ($313+tax) and use Diamond Upgrade cert for upgrade into Suite.
2) Use 99K points for suite (dunno if this one is an option yet)
3) Pay $313 (plus tax) per night (rate using 15% discount code for dates I am going) and use Diamond Upgrade cert into suite.
In my bank I have 2 suite award night certs (good until 9/14), 3 diamond upgrade certs to be used by 2/14, 150K GP available.
I don't have any good forecasted stays are Hyatts in the next year (nothing other than work trips).

You could also use the 2 free nights, and then use 33K points for one night in a suite. That is what I would likely do. If you wanted to save your points for a future trip somewhere, then pay for the 3rd night, and use an upgrade cert as it has no long-term value.

Though you have no travel plans beyond HI, there are some really nice Hyatt properties down here in the Hill Country around Austin and SanAntonio. A weekend getaway is always nice.

funtrainsf Oct 8, 13 6:40 pm

In order to use 33K for a suite, I believe there is minimum of 3 nights required, so can't do that option.

You are correct about the nice places in Austin/SA. Actually, my wife and I go to the Hyatt Lost Pines every year for our anniversary in November. Already used the Diamond Suite Upgrade to get a Jr suite there. Love the remoteness of the place for a quiet weekend.

Ancien Maestro Oct 8, 13 6:45 pm


Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21575682)
I can't make up my mind on how to pay for my 3 nights there. I have a few options.

I want to be in the Andaz Suite, and here are my options:

1) Use 2 Suite Award nights (from Hyatt CC) and pay for 1 night regular room ($313+tax) and use Diamond Upgrade cert for upgrade into Suite.

2) Use 99K points for suite (dunno if this one is an option yet)

3) Pay $313 (plus tax) per night (rate using 15% discount code for dates I am going) and use Diamond Upgrade cert into suite.

Don't know any other option, but if there is one please advise.

In my bank I have 2 suite award night certs (good until 9/14), 3 diamond upgrade certs to be used by 2/14, 150K GP available.

What would you do?

I don't have any good forecasted stays are Hyatts in the next year (nothing other than work trips).

I would just pay the $313 and use a suite upgrade for the Andaz suite. But if your free suite nights are about to expire.. then you'll have to burn them. Too bad you don't have more days.. it be a bit of a waste of a Diamond Suite upgrade to do it just for one night, when you have up to 7 nights. Perhaps option one, you can use 6,000 points to upgrade to the Andaz suite for one night, and save your Diamond Suite Upgrade.. The rate would probably be higher, since it goes off rate of the day, and assuming they'll let you book into a suite off the garden view room.

eltex Oct 8, 13 7:04 pm


Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21576457)
In order to use 33K for a suite, I believe there is minimum of 3 nights required, so can't do that option.

You are correct about the nice places in Austin/SA. Actually, my wife and I go to the Hyatt Lost Pines every year for our anniversary in November. Already used the Diamond Suite Upgrade to get a Jr suite there. Love the remoteness of the place for a quiet weekend.

Wow, I didn't know about the 3 night min for suite with points. Bummer. I would probably go with option 1 instead.

Lost Pines is just across the river from my place. Of course, there isn't a bridge for 15 miles in either direction, so I can't get there easily without getting my feet wet. I haven't stayed there yet, but it employees half of Bastrop County, so it's kind of a big deal around here.

sam_goh Oct 8, 13 10:50 pm


Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21576457)
In order to use 33K for a suite, I believe there is minimum of 3 nights required, so can't do that option.

So wait, you can't use 2 free suite nights and then 33k for the last night?

FriendlySkies Oct 8, 13 10:51 pm


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21577504)
So wait, you can't use 2 free suite nights and then 33k for the last night?

To book a suite with points, you must book it for at least 3 nights..

peteropny Oct 9, 13 6:20 am


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21577504)
So wait, you can't use 2 free suite nights and then 33k for the last night?

Not according to my Private Line agent.

m0hamed Oct 9, 13 7:46 am


Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 21578618)
Not according to my Private Line agent.

+1. It's an annoying rule, but it can't be circumvented.

Ancien Maestro Oct 9, 13 7:47 am


Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 21578618)
Not according to my Private Line agent.

Didn't work for some in Europe as they were told 3 nights needed.

Doubtful, but doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Pat89339 Oct 9, 13 9:20 am


Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 21578618)
Not according to my Private Line agent.


Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21579041)
+1. It's an annoying rule, but it can't be circumvented.

+1. I have had the same experience with a combined pay (2nights using suite upgrade) and the third night on points. This was in Europe.

Mommy Points Oct 9, 13 9:21 am

$313 a night for this hotel isn't bad, so if you have the cash, that could be a good way to go. Or, maybe use one of your free nights and then do two nights in a suite using your Diamond cert. That would bring your out-of-pocket cost down a bit and maybe you'd get lucky and get all three nights in a suite, depending on availability.

funtrainsf Oct 9, 13 9:26 am

I have option 1 already booked and confirmed in the Andaz Suite all 3 nights. It's just too tempting at just $313 to pay all three nights and use one certificate.

Man... decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

mreplus Oct 9, 13 11:43 am

I noticed another promo that popped up -- "Sunshine On Sale"

Receive every 4th consecutive night free Free night is reflected at time of booking Tax NOT included. Resort Credit is applied to each night of stay 4 NIGHT MINIMUM LENGTH OF STAY REQUIRED VALID: 19SEP13-20DEC13 - 100 USD resort credit per paid room night- making a total of 300 USD

twothirds Oct 9, 13 4:03 pm

Two nights with a toddler...
 
Checked in on Oct 2nd for a two-night award point stay with my wife and a toddler. The property is beautiful and I would consider returning with just my wife, but I would not go back with a kid again.

Some notes from the stay...

- Upgraded to a full ocean view room. Was very happy to not be looking at a parking lot
- Very friendly staff that tended to go out of their way
- Drinks are good. On the pricey side, but that is expected for that part of the island
- Onion Rings 2.0 were way overpriced and not that good. Avoid!
- Very empty. Almost eerily empty, but better than crowded.
- Villas around the pools and Morimotos are still under active construction with constant banging/sawing noises and broken views. I would have been annoyed, but chasing a toddler means no relaxation or zen moments for me.
- Standard rooms are too small for more than just a couple. Also, there is limited drawer and storage space. Would be fine for a couple on a short trip.
- My room did not have a bathtub which meant the kid got a silkwood style shower. As we were there for a limited amount of time, we did not bring this up with the front-desk. According to one of the managers, it is possible to get a room with a tub.
- Balcony furniture is a joke.
- There is no shade around the kid safe pool unless you want to pay $200 for a cabana
- Shower floor is slippery. Watch out!

Remainder of the trip was at a more family friendly hotel down the street.

Ancien Maestro Oct 11, 13 7:22 am


Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21579668)
I have option 1 already booked and confirmed in the Andaz Suite all 3 nights. It's just too tempting at just $313 to pay all three nights and use one certificate.

Man... decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

I would consider travel patterns before the February 28 deadline, and whether you need to use the suite upgrades before year end to qualify for status. Also, can you use the free suite nights elsewhere that's going to provide more value than Andaz?

If you got too many certs, than burn em I guess. No sense keeping them unless you have a use for them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.