Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I have watched this entire saga from the sidelines ever since the hotel opened.

Quite frankly, I believe "we" have done this to ourselves. The initial reviews and treatment of diamonds quickly made it the go-to property in Hawaii, not only for those with status, but for churners as well who managed to get status - and Hyatt was giving status matches at the time.

So there were scores of people flocking to this property, and again, quite frankly, eating them out of house and home.

So the hotel cut the cord.

I certainly don't approve of the types of limitations being put on award/suite stays -and really hope that corporate gets down on them to fix this absurdity of a special class of rooms available for rewards. But in the end, I still feel we did it to ourselves - oh, and also all the bloggers pushing the Hyatt program with examples of how much they could get for nothing.
As one of those, I in most/many part I agree, especially with regard to the changes they made to Diamond breakfast and then adding the high resort fee. But, I'll again note, that for those that (of the original group of "we're to blame") that continued to frequent the property the treatment has been just fine (upgrades to suites or ocean views, working to get award stays booked, etc.).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Agree with that. I've found that I get better treatment as a repeat guest no matter what currency I'm paying. Not that I've ever been to this one. I don't particularly care for Maui () and specifically dislike the Wailea area.

But to get reservations in Hawaii I'm finding I have to get in touch with my contacts who then are making the reservations for me. I just had to do it again. They're all under a lot of pressure from people looking to burn their points and use the benefits before their status expires.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:43 am

all the bloggers pushing the Hyatt program with examples of how much they could get for nothing.
Hyatt's popularity with the points and miles crowd was totally blogger-created with the encouragement and connivance of Hyatt itself (see, e.g., Jeff Z.'s many interviews with bloggers and his appearance at blogger functions such as MegaDos). The worm has now turned with WOH and Hyatt is no longer the blogger favorite, with SPG (and Marriott!!!) rushing in to fill the vacuum.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Totally agree with that.

I've also noticed some very active Hyatt posters who were mostly churners have disappeared from this forum and are now actively posting on SPG
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:10 am

Is booking a 6 night award then eliminating the dates I don't need possible? If so I was planning to do that plus use a suite upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Quite frankly, I believe "we" have done this to ourselves.
We, as GP members, did nothing of the sort....

It's GP that set the stage with plenty of points/free cc nights/DSU's for status matchers and the bloggers (enticed by GP I imagine) that did the rest.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RTW1
We, as GP members, did nothing of the sort....

It's GP that set the stage with plenty of points/free cc nights/DSU's for status matchers and the bloggers (enticed by GP I imagine) that did the rest.
Agreed.

There are properties in the system that graciously honor GP benefits. Then there are the ones that go to great lengths to prevent redemptions and limit upgrades. It seems that many of these are actually owned by Hyatt corporate.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:09 am

No, in some ways Diamonds are to blame. It's only Diamonds that were given Diamond breakfast, thus it's only Diamonds that could have abused it by ordering abusing quantities of off-menu items (like Champagne or poke).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
No, in some ways Diamonds are to blame. It's only Diamonds that were given Diamond breakfast, thus it's only Diamonds that could have abused it by ordering abusing quantities of off-menu items (like Champagne or poke).
Some percentage of people will always abuse such privileges. Anyone in the hospitality business will already know that. They make the calculation the cost of such excesses is outweighed by the increased business flow.

And I fail to see how that is my fault
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:17 am

Quite frankly, I believe "we" have done this to ourselves. The initial reviews and treatment of diamonds quickly made it the go-to property in Hawaii, not only for those with status, but for churners as well who managed to get status - and Hyatt was giving status matches at the time.

So there were scores of people flocking to this property, and again, quite frankly, eating them out of house and home.

I certainly don't approve of the types of limitations being put on award/suite stays -and really hope that corporate gets down on them to fix this absurdity of a special class of rooms available for rewards. But in the end, I still feel we did it to ourselves - oh, and also all the bloggers pushing the Hyatt program with examples of how much they could get for nothing.
I don't disagree with this. I admit I'm part of "we." I will say while I did take advantage of this when the hotel first opened, I didn't blather or brag about it.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:43 am

C'mon, it's documented that some abused Diamond breakfast by taking (quantities of) items to the room for future meals (lunch or dinner of leftovers), sitting for three hours drinking Champagne well after eating was completed... and then blogged/bragged/messaged about it for many to read. If you're not included in this group then fine, but it is this group of Diamonds and their impact that is referenced in above posts.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
C'mon, it's documented that some abused Diamond breakfast by taking (quantities of) items to the room for future meals (lunch or dinner of leftovers), sitting for three hours drinking Champagne well after eating was completed... and then blogged/bragged/messaged about it for many to read. If you're not included in this group then fine, but it is this group of Diamonds and their impact that is referenced in above posts.
It's people in general, not Diamonds specifically. Take any group of 100 people. Some number will always push those types of situations beyond what most of us consider reasonable or ethical bounds. (And they'll see nothing wrong with it, either.)

To say that this somehow justifies Andaz Maui's gaming of award and upgrade inventory just doesn't make any sense to me. It's confusing one issue (people abusing perks) with another (properties gaming the GP rules).

I'm sure there were also paid guests at Andaz Maui who abused those perks when they booked through FHR (which includes free breakfast), or purchased rates that included breakfast. Does that also justify the property's gaming of award and upgrade inventory?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
So I don't want to get into the middle of things, mostly because I find myself on both sides. I do want to say, however, that there is something a bit different about this place that has turned me off from it.

We've been there twice, once cash+DSU, once C+P+DSU. We really liked it both times. One time the b'fast was wide open, one time it was circumscribed by their rules. I think we got in before the resort fees, or around them somehow. There are some really nice aspects to the property.

This said, when I stay at a hotel, I like to relax, and from a consumer standpoint, this place isn't as relaxing as it should be, starting with booking rooms, as folks note here. Check in isn't what it should be. Help with getting the right room isn't what it should be. Breakfast isn't what it should be. It's the only place in the Hyatt chain where they have made it tough to get late checkout (at least for me).

Yeah, it's a high-end place, yeah some of us behave poorly, and yeah, even though I don't think I behave poorly, I'm the kind of penny-wise Hyatt Diamond who is unwanted as a Globulist in the New Hyatt World Order. I get that. It's just that when I compare this place to some of the other higher-end properties where we milk our Diamond/Glob status -- PHV, Andaz 5th Ave, PH Washington -- I don't have the sense that the folks at Andaz Maui are "playing along." At least not enough to make it fun for me at the price.

Still going to Hawai`i. Just not worth the trouble to do Andaz Maui. In my opinion....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:02 pm

if you can secure an 800 sq ft suite in one of the top handful of oceanfront luxury resorts on Maui for $150/n and some points, with no resort fee and free breakfast, that's pretty awesome.

if you are unable to do so, that doesn't detract from the deal & experience that others will enjoy at the property.

the poster above who compares to snagging a prime first class award seat is spot on.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

I don't think we have to data to show this is true, but we spend several hundreds dollars each day on lunch, dinner and drinks. Never saw this behaviour at the Andaz, either.

I did witness guests at the HR Waikiki fill up disposable cups and Tupperware with food from the club lounge in full view of the staff who didn't seem to mind. This happened every day we were there.

So perhaps Hawaii attracts a certain type of traveler, but that's not what I saw the Andaz.

The property is modern and beautiful. We also looked at the FS and it looks dated and dark. We had a great vacation and I think Gary Leff's assessment of Hyatt owned properties vs franchises appears to be true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.