Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
With regard to the last few half dozen or so posts.

I have numerous stays here, and I'm always greeted upon arrival. In fact, anytime I just walk through the lobby I'm greeted. In early mornings, I might spend hours in the lobby working on my PC/phone while family is sleeping or waking up, and there's plenty of staff greeting guests.

Award stays and P&C and suites are available, one needs to understand there's a (unwritten) six night minimum (it was four nights this time last year). For my next stay, I tried for days to find availability, using one- and four-night stay entries and found nothing. I called the property and talked to some FO friends for help in booking, and learned of the new/different minimum. Since then, I've found lots of availability (for loading dock, ah, Garden View).
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:45 am

I'm seeing Garden Views under the standard rate for ~6 night stays beginning around 6/9 and onward, but no points availability. Is this a situation I should call?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:48 am

I thought Garden View is what point are placed into... have you clicked the award box and it shows nothing available after you've confirmed Garden is available for a normal non-award stay? If so, I'd call the GP desk but not the property to start.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coffee18
I'm seeing Garden Views under the standard rate for ~6 night stays beginning around 6/9 and onward, but no points availability. Is this a situation I should call?
I see the same . . . tried various iterations, from 1 to 8 nights, and they are not making that room available for awards.

So this property is breaking the rules AGAIN.

Per canyonleo, calling Gold Passport (sorry, "Worst of Hyatt") is your best option.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does Hyatt own this property? If not, I'll bet they exit the Hyatt system when their contract expires. Seems pretty clear that they don't need the Hyatt affiliation.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:21 am

Well, I'll guess you must change the way you search.

1. Try six consecutive 1 night non-award stays. If Garden is available for all, then...
2. Try a single six-night award stay for those same dates.

For example, using your dates I tried a six night stay starting 6/7 and it showed Garden available, but trying just the 7th or 8th as a single night Garden isn't available.

...or just call GP desk as this does seem like gaming.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
For example, using your dates I tried a six night stay starting 6/7 and it showed Garden available, but trying just the 7th or 8th as a single night Garden isn't available.
If you start with the 9th, it is available for sale for any length from 1 to 8 nights, but not offered as an award.

Originally Posted by josephstern
So does Hyatt own this property?
Owned 100% by Hyatt. See page 44: Hyatt 2016 10K.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you start with the 9th, it is available for sale for any length from 1 to 8 nights, but not offered as an award.
Hyatt 2016 10K.
This is not correct. Garden View is not available for a 1 night stay on Jun/9.

Again, and for whatever (poor) reason, one must search as follows:

1. Find Garden View available for six consecutive 1 night stays.
2. Then attempt to book those same dates as a single six night stay using points.
3. I assume C&P should likewise be available if (1) above is true.

...or just call the property and ask "What dates in July (or whatever month) can I book an eight (or however many nights but greater than six night minimum) P&C stay?"
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:00 am

This is not correct. Garden View is not available for a 1 night stay on Jun/9.
It was when I first searched.

Not that it's really relevant here. Can't be disputed the property is gaming, which they do as a matter of common practice.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it disconcerting that a Hyatt-owned property plays these games.

I'd like to think it's the independent owner of a property pushing back against their contract with Hyatt - not a Hyatt-employed management.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 am

Just that they created Garden (Loading Dock) View when before that side of the house had only Mountain View is (good enough) proof of gaming... then playing inventory games makes it worse.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:41 am

Well, I'll guess you must change the way you search.

1. Try six consecutive 1 night non-award stays. If Garden is available for all, then...
2. Try a single six-night award stay for those same dates.

...or just call GP desk as this does seem like gaming.
Booking as 1 night non-award stays does not display Garden View. Only 6+ nights show that category.

Does this minimum night requirement allow them to circumvent lowest category rooms to be available via points?

I didn't call yet, but I DM'ed to Hyatt's twitter last week and was met with a firm no on award availability.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by josephstern
So does Hyatt own this property? If not, I'll bet they exit the Hyatt system when their contract expires. Seems pretty clear that they don't need the Hyatt affiliation.
It was a JV with Starwood Capital. They bought out partners share in the JV in 2016 so it is owned by Hyatt.

"Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort—We previously held a 65.7% interest and had a $180 million investment in the entities that own Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort and villas prior to acquisition [...] During the year ended December 31, 2016, we purchased the remaining 34.3% for a net purchase price of approximately $136 million[...]"

e/ Just realized Kacee responded earlier. Going to keep post here as it includes the quote from the 10-K
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:08 pm

Hyatt's gaming of WOH at its own property should give private owners with Hyatt management contracts sufficient justification to do the same at their hotels (if they are so inclined).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was when I first searched.

Not that it's really relevant here. Can't be disputed the property is gaming, which they do as a matter of common practice.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Hyatt's gaming of WOH at its own property should give private owners with Hyatt management contracts sufficient justification to do the same at their hotels (if they are so inclined).
Just for my own curiosity, I ran a few dates in the future and found availability;

10/6/17 - 10/13/17
11/2/17 - 11/10/17
11/16/17 - 11/24/17

Seems like if you're willing to book far enough in advance, there is plenty of availability to be had.

Granted, December doesn't price online so if I were inclined, that would be an interesting experiment to see if calling into GP would force availability for an award.

Also, as part of this exercise, I've also found a way to book a stay shorter than the minimum "6 nights" (doesn't take all that much creativity).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.