Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by esquesk
Just for my own curiosity, I ran a few dates in the future and found availability
The "gaming" isn't just manipulation of points availability but also assignment to "best available room" (i.e., the dumpster/garden view).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JetAway
The "gaming" isn't just manipulation of points availability but also assignment to "best available room" (i.e., the dumpster/garden view).
And the minimum stay requirement, which is only imposed on the base level room, which is obviously done to limit award availability.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Hello:

Been searching this thread for quite some time and I have some questions about an upcoming Andaz Maui trip. Plan to stay there 7 nights and then head over to the big island for another 7 nights in Feb of 2019.

I am a lowly Hyatt Gold so I'm not expecting much in terms of upgrade but I am looking to book a suite since we will be 5 (3 kids). What are my best chances to secure a suite:

1) Book a suite with points for the entire time I'm there
2) Use P&C to book the suite
3) Book a standard room and see if status gets me a free upgrade
4) Book a standard and "buy" an upgrade.
5) Forget about it and try to book the Regency and upgrade there

Thank you!
1: should work if the Pool Side Suite is available for your entire stay. 40k points/night.
2 = very little chance of P+C availability + Poolside Suite availability
3 = no shot
4: I've heard reports of this working
5: Sure
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
That said, as I totally agree, I've always gotten a great upgrade on my all points stays, even had any alternative room request honored... so if one makes a little effort the property might honor such requests.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
1: should work if the Pool Side Suite is available for your entire stay. 40k points/night.
2 = very little chance of P+C availability + Poolside Suite availability
3 = no shot
4: I've heard reports of this working
5: Sure

3. works for me every time. I book a standard (Garden) room (I hate the ground level pool suites one gets blocked into when using all points for a suite), then rely on my status for an upgrade which works every time, typically to ocean view but if the property is near full then only to partial ocean view. But, if one is Platinum not Diamond then 3 goes from likely (IMO) to iffy/maybe.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
3. works for me every time. I book a standard (Garden) room (I hate the ground level pool suites one gets blocked into when using all points for a suite), then rely on my status for an upgrade which works every time, typically to ocean view but if the property is near full then only to partial ocean view. But, if one is Platinum not Diamond then 3 goes from likely (IMO) to iffy/maybe.
I was assuming the OP was talking about a complimentary upgrade to a suite for his/her family of 5. In that case, I think the chances are very very small...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

Gary Left calls out the Andaz Maui for their game playing.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eeming-points/
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Gary Left calls out the Andaz Maui for their game playing.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eeming-points/
I'd say Gary's been reading the thread

He really nailed them.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd say Gary's been reading the thread

He really nailed them.
Beat me to it, I was about to say both
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
And the minimum stay requirement, which is only imposed on the base level room, which is obviously done to limit award availability.
It helps the hotel with revenue too, considering those who want to book with cash for fewer than 6 nights can't book the lowest category.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So every in-demand Hyatt should just add one room to their inventory at the bottom end, and then declare it to be under renovation. Problem solved. No rooms on points.

Can it really work like that? There's no rule that 40% of the rooms have to be at that inventory level? 30%? 20%? Any minimum?

When I started collecting Hyatt points, I considered them to be worth 2c each. No longer.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by josephstern
So every in-demand Hyatt should just add one room to their inventory at the bottom end, and then declare it to be under renovation. Problem solved. No rooms on points.

Can it really work like that? There's no rule that 40% of the rooms have to be at that inventory level? 30%? 20%? Any minimum?

When I started collecting Hyatt points, I considered them to be worth 2c each. No longer.
Had some downtime at work today and I called for a December reservation to see if it would work. WOH called the property and got it booked for 6 nights. HUCA and cancelled the first 3, to get my 3 night stay in high season.

Cash price was 459 so decently better than 2cpp once you factor in taxes and waived parking/resort fees.

I think that the way to look at the super high end properties is that you need to plan ahead. As long as you're moderately flexible, there is great value to be had. I would consider it similar to looking for saver award availability using airline miles to get a great value.

I wish it were easier but also understand some of the business reasons for why it is so.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by esquesk
Had some downtime at work today and I called for a December reservation to see if it would work. WOH called the property and got it booked for 6 nights. HUCA and cancelled the first 3, to get my 3 night stay in high season.

Cash price was 459 so decently better than 2cpp once you factor in taxes and waived parking/resort fees.

I think that the way to look at the super high end properties is that you need to plan ahead. As long as you're moderately flexible, there is great value to be had. I would consider it similar to looking for saver award availability using airline miles to get a great value.

I wish it were easier but also understand some of the business reasons for why it is so.
problem is this isnt a super high end resort..
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:07 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Perhaps now Hyatt will take notice http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eeming-points/

I have to say, I'm glad we stayed before this property went downhill. We paid an AAA rate, applied a DSU and received a high floor ocean suite and enjoyed full breakfast soon after the property opened.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have watched this entire saga from the sidelines ever since the hotel opened.

Quite frankly, I believe "we" have done this to ourselves. The initial reviews and treatment of diamonds quickly made it the go-to property in Hawaii, not only for those with status, but for churners as well who managed to get status - and Hyatt was giving status matches at the time.

So there were scores of people flocking to this property, and again, quite frankly, eating them out of house and home.

So the hotel cut the cord.

I certainly don't approve of the types of limitations being put on award/suite stays -and really hope that corporate gets down on them to fix this absurdity of a special class of rooms available for rewards. But in the end, I still feel we did it to ourselves - oh, and also all the bloggers pushing the Hyatt program with examples of how much they could get for nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.