FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

josephstern Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by robizzle (Post 26401174)
As others have mentioned on this thread and travel blogs, this place is definitely playing games with their availability of garden view rooms for award nights.
I had to switch some dates around for my reservation, and ended up just cancelling my all-points purchase and low and behold no more garden view rooms, at all, not even the dates I originally booked. And I checked immediately after, and have been frequently checking all night, there is NO way anyone else got that room.

I don't know that they have to go back into inventory. If the hotel is full, and award rooms are canceled, they'll offer them for sale at that point.

Just like airlines with mileage seats.

Seems reasonable to me - they use the inventory appropriately at the time it becomes available.

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by robizzle (Post 26401174)
As others have mentioned on this thread and travel blogs, this place is definitely playing games with their availability of garden view rooms for award nights.
I had to switch some dates around for my reservation, and ended up just cancelling my all-points purchase and low and behold no more garden view rooms, at all, not even the dates I originally booked. And I checked immediately after, and have been frequently checking all night, there is NO way anyone else got that room.

You have to understand that all hotels "play games". They want your money lol. I feel like they'd rather not have reward nights if they didn't to or they'll drastically reduce how you can use it.

robizzle Mar 29, 2016 4:10 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 26401302)
I don't know that they have to go back into inventory. If the hotel is full, and award rooms are canceled, they'll offer them for sale at that point.

Just like airlines with mileage seats.

Seems reasonable to me - they use the inventory appropriately at the time it becomes available.

I understand now, this makes sense, the hotel does what's best for the business.

Interestingly, I was putting together all different date combos and there's a garden view award redeemable room from july 12-16, yet not 13-17, or even 13-16, nor any other breakdown inside the 12-16 dates, ONLY 12-16.

canyonleo Mar 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by robizzle (Post 26402541)
I understand now, this makes sense, the hotel does what's best for the business.

Interestingly, I was putting together all different date combos and there's a garden view award redeemable room from july 12-16, yet not 13-17, or even 13-16, nor any other breakdown inside the 12-16 dates, ONLY 12-16.

Given these dates noted, the logic might say that there is a four night minimum and that the 17th isn't available - so pick four nights that don't include the 17th, then call and cancel any unwanted nights if you don't want four.

Membersince2013 Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Just wondering, how does one know if one can use DSU for their reservation? Is it when you see a suite available online for the dates you booked or do you have to constantly keep calling HGP?

Michael Ad Mar 29, 2016 4:10 pm

If you see the "Pool Suite" then you should be able to use a DSU.

Membersince2013 Mar 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad (Post 26406175)
If you see the "Pool Suite" then you should be able to use a DSU.

Thanks!

Deemus7 Apr 3, 2016 9:19 am

My wife and I are visiting the Andaz in May with our 18 month-old, and I love all of the helpful info in this thread! I've found a few posts on staying with a toddler, and it sounds like the regular rooms aren't the best (which we knew going into it). We're currently booked into a POV king room for four nights (paid stay), and a pool side suite just opened for our last night. I'd love to get your collective wisdom on applying a DSU to the last night and hoping one of the following:

- A pool suite opens up for the other nights between now and the stay
- The hotel moves us to a different (non-DSU eligible) suite for the four nights so we don't need to switch rooms

Any thoughts on how well the pool side suites work with a toddler?

The alternative would (naturally) be to keep our current room and play the upgrade lottery at check-in.

Love to get some opinions on this!

Michael Ad Apr 3, 2016 9:40 am

You've got some time - I'd take the Pool Suite with the DSU and keep watching for other nights. Worst case, if you only get one night and the hotel seems fully booked on suites for your dates, then you can pull the DSU off before you get there.

canyonleo Apr 4, 2016 8:10 am

I think the regular king room is fine for a toddler. Here's some tricks:

- Bring a pack-and-play (crib) or get one from the hotel (if they have them? we brought our own)... place it in the closet (it will just fit)

- The balconies have glass (plastic?) panels so a toddler can't fall through (but might be able to climb on it), but I think the pool suites just open out into pools (no fence/gate)

- The showers are large, so it's easy to bath the toddler during your shower (there's no tub nor sink suitable for bathing a toddler)

- The lowest pool (closest to beach) is awesome for kids, bring some small inflatable or other toys (hotel might have some)

pickles1107 Apr 4, 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Deemus7 (Post 26429334)
My wife and I are visiting the Andaz in May with our 18 month-old, and I love all of the helpful info in this thread! I've found a few posts on staying with a toddler, and it sounds like the regular rooms aren't the best (which we knew going into it). We're currently booked into a POV king room for four nights (paid stay), and a pool side suite just opened for our last night. I'd love to get your collective wisdom on applying a DSU to the last night and hoping one of the following:

- A pool suite opens up for the other nights between now and the stay
- The hotel moves us to a different (non-DSU eligible) suite for the four nights so we don't need to switch rooms

Any thoughts on how well the pool side suites work with a toddler?

The alternative would (naturally) be to keep our current room and play the upgrade lottery at check-in.

Love to get some opinions on this!

I would take the suite for any night that you can. In our case on our recent 3 night stay, the last night opened up, then the second. Even though we weren't confirmed into a suite for the first night, they upgraded us to an ocean view suite on the 7th floor for all nights. ^

This was our third stay with a toddler/baby and we have been in 4 different suites, once with a pool suite. The layouts are all the same, only the view is different. There is plenty of space in the suite for a crib.

The hotel does have *some* nice wooden cribs and also pack n' plays. If you want one of the wooden cribs, request in advance as on our second stay they had run out and we were stuck with a pack n play. They also provide sheets for the baby mattress, baby towels, baby shampoo, and a bath toy.

Second Leo's comments about the lowest pool. It has a really shallow entry great for little ones and also a shallower shelf over near Morimotos.

wspanic201 Apr 4, 2016 8:51 pm

Love this property

Was lucky enough to get 2 nights here on all points back in February. I was originally booked points and cash but didn't ever see a pool suite open up to apply a DSU so I changed it to all points as I heard they waived resort fees on all points. I'm glad I switched to all points -- was upgraded to a suite literally 20 feet from the pool area. It was on the first floor but I didn't care as I got my ocean views by actually going to the ocean. Anyways I loved the property and the room. The service was awesome and the best part was my total cost was under $100, tips and parking included. I can't wait to go back.

Membersince2013 Apr 6, 2016 5:04 am

Originally Posted by wspanic201 (Post 26437703)
Was lucky enough to get 2 nights here on all points back in February. I was originally booked points and cash but didn't ever see a pool suite open up to apply a DSU so I changed it to all points as I heard they waived resort fees on all points. I'm glad I switched to all points -- was upgraded to a suite literally 20 feet from the pool area. It was on the first floor but I didn't care as I got my ocean views by actually going to the ocean. Anyways I loved the property and the room. The service was awesome and the best part was my total cost was under $100, tips and parking included. I can't wait to go back.

Hopefully you live on the west coast and didn't travel from afar just to spend 2 days there.

wspanic201 Apr 6, 2016 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013 (Post 26444142)
Hopefully you live on the west coast and didn't travel from afar just to spend 2 days there.

Luckily there are other places to stay on Maui after we checked out ;)

Membersince2013 Apr 6, 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by wspanic201 (Post 26444727)
Luckily there are other places to stay on Maui after we checked out ;)

I see...Kinda what im doing. Staying on 2 different parts of the island for our trip.