FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

toptravelista Mar 11, 2016 11:33 am

One other thing

2 Attachment(s)
I forgot to mention one other thing. When we arrived the lobby was under construction. The entire center (the zen sand pit) was blocked off with a bamboo partition. I asked what was going on and they said they were installing a art installation above the sand pit but it would be gone prior to Friday. Sure enough on Thurs we watched two men on scaffolding hang the artwork over the sandpit. They had a rendering of what it was to look like but the final version of what they hung was not exactly like it. Not sure if I like it as there seems to already have a lot going on with the ceiling and it seems to get lost up there. Sometime simply is better.

Frindle Mar 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 26274757)
ya i was suprised that points and cash all of a sudden opened up for this weekend, last night

Do you remember what the nightly rate was when they opened P+C?

I'm going to be in Maui for a night, and will end up back here even though it's a horrible use of points. I'd rather use P+C since I think they'd actually make more, but we all know how stingy they are.

robizzle Mar 16, 2016 5:45 am

Is the Hyatt member discount a nonrefundable rate? On the website it simply states: "Cancellation of this reservation is subject to the hotel cancellation policy," which is the same as every other rate.

Just got off the phone with citi prestige concierge, yesterday they found me a rate of $378 for the hyatt member discount, said they'd be able to also add the world elite MC benefits of free breakfast, $100 spa credit, early check-in and late check-out. I was very impressed and did not expect this. I said great but could you also check on the cancellation policy, and they said sure we'll include that in our e-mail. Got an email at 1AM 8 hours later with details giving me a totally different room, different rate, and no mention of world elite benefits.

Now they called the hotel, found the rate again, but said no you don't get the world elite benefits AND it's NONrefundable. Any experience with this? TYIA

edit: whoa it's as if the website changed before my eyes or i didn't catch it earlier. Sorry the member discount indeed nonrefundable and now clearly stated on website.

robizzle Mar 21, 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by armstwa (Post 26288476)
Just got back from our honeymoon in Maui and wanted to provide some feedback since this thread helped me out. Overall, great stay. I booked via the Citi Prestige concierge so I could get the 4th night back and used the World Elite MC rate to get free breakfast and room upgrade. Unfortunately, the resort was more crowded than I expected it to be at this time so didn't get a room upgrade at check in. Couldn't convince my wife to use the spa credit and a massage starts around $200 so not worth it to me. We were in the 'Mountain View' so kinda wished I had booked an ocean view for our honeymoon, so definitely don't count on being upgraded if it's busy around that time. Tons of upgrade availability until about 2 weeks out of our stay then I saw we likely wouldn't be upgraded. Room was good with a great bathroom.

Anywho, great resort, lobby is swank and it's view is fantastic over the infinity pools to the ocean, you could see some whales the day we arrived. At checkin we mentioned honeymoon and they said they'd send a bottle of champagne that night, it came a the next day but that worked out better for us! Staff was great and the property was just a pleasure to be on. The breakfast buffet is nice, and I mainly booked the MC rate to get it for free knowing it is included ($47/head). Although it's great, we are not creatures of habit so next time I'd book a lower rate if possible and get breakfast offsite. Don't get me wrong, it's good, with a juice bar, omelet station and everything you'd want, but I definitely don't think it's worth $47, but I'm also a little bit of a snob when it comes to food/drink. That being said, the cocktails are site are some of the best on the island (I have a pretty serious home bar and was worried about Maui's cocktail scene). I got to know a great bartender, Ka'ai, and he said the program was from Julie Reiner of NYC fame and all the bartenders had been there since opening which is impressive. He'll make you some great tiki/off-menu drinks if you ask. Also ate at Ka'ana Kitchen one night and was very impressed. It has a good rep right now with the current chef being heavy on the farm to table motto.

First time to Hawaii and loved the sand for Wailea beaches as well as the blue water. The Kihei option is alive and well and is good albeit a little longer than I'd like from room to car so since it was the honeymoon I only used it one night. Were I on a tighter budget I would definitely use it. The resort fee is kinda BS as you don't get to use a lot of the water sports equipment without having to pay more, so definitely disappointed there.

All in, we'd go back, but not pay cash, use points. We discovered on the honeymoon that we don't need a swanky resort. Our rental on Hana was probably our favorite stay. That being said, if I was going to resort path, I wouldn't hesitate to come back here. PM me for any more intel on Maui!

Best,

Wade

Hey Wade,
could you please PM me or let me know the name of the citi prestige concierge who helped manage your booking? Aspire lifestyle is REALLY dropping the ball, all of their concierges tell me different stories everytime I call.

The most recent one just called me back and said after she called the hotel, they could not get me the world elite MC rate that's published on the website, and the only way to get that rate/perks is to book it through the website. Then I asked the concierge if she can do that, and she said no.

Seriously the first girl I spoke to on day 1 moved mountains for me, told me she'd e-mail me the details of the booking so I can confirm, then 8 hours later I get an e-mail from someone else with a totally different room, rate, no perks, and I have not been able to find my original concierge ever since.

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 5:58 am

BTW, now that Hyatt has done away with advance booking, does it really matter when you book? If you book today, aren't you still going to get charged the daily rate when you get there? As in, if the price is "$374" today and you book 10 nights for August 13 - 24th, won't they charge you the rate for August when you get there as opposed to the rate for when you booked? Just curious....Im debating if i should book some nights at Andaz Maui and 3 nights at Regency Maui so i can get more stays and SAVE MONEY!

RTW1 Mar 28, 2016 6:08 am

What is you are talking about with "doing away with advance booking"?

Please don't post statements if you are not sure of something, just ask then...... you book, you get a rate that's guaranteed. Same as it ever was...

m0hamed Mar 28, 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013 (Post 26397698)
BTW, now that Hyatt has done away with advance booking, does it really matter when you book? If you book today, aren't you still going to get charged the daily rate when you get there? As in, if the price is "$374" today and you book 10 nights for August 13 - 24th, won't they charge you the rate for August when you get there as opposed to the rate for when you booked? Just curious....Im debating if i should book some nights at Andaz Maui and 3 nights at Regency Maui so i can get more stays and SAVE MONEY!

Your post makes no sense. Advance purchase means full prepayment in advance and generally not able to be cancelled nor refunded. Hyatt has not stopped offering these.

Hyatt hotels use a floating rate of the day. Price fluctuates based on occupancy. Obviously the more the hotel is occupied, the higher the average room rate.

The incentive to book an advance purchase is that it is generally cheaper. That or you believe you will save money by locking in the FX rate when you book if you are converting currency. But even then some properties charge upon booking and others will wait for check in or anywhere in between. It varies by property.

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 26397729)
What is you are talking about with "doing away with advance booking"?

Please don't post statements if you are not sure of something, just ask then...... you book, you get a rate that's guaranteed. Same as it ever was...

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 26397744)
Your post makes no sense. Advance purchase means full prepayment in advance and generally not able to be cancelled nor refunded. Hyatt has not stopped offering these.

Hyatt hotels use a floating rate of the day. Price fluctuates based on occupancy. Obviously the more the hotel is occupied, the higher the average room rate.

The incentive to book an advance purchase is that it is generally cheaper. That or you believe you will save money by locking in the FX rate when you book if you are converting currency. But even then some properties charge upon booking and others will wait for check in or anywhere in between. It varies by property.

Sorry guys. Since my stay is coming up in August, what the advise? Wait and book later in June, July or book now? I know it's not certain but whats your best inclination?

josephstern Mar 28, 2016 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013 (Post 26397913)
Sorry guys. Since my stay is coming up in August, what the advise? Wait and book later in June, July or book now? I know it's not certain but whats your best inclination?

Book a non-prepaid rate. If the rate goes down, cancel this and book again.

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 26398208)
Book a non-prepaid rate. If the rate goes down, cancel this and book again.

Good idea. I'll book the non-prepaid rate for now and then book the member rate in July, a month before the stay.

RTW1 Mar 28, 2016 9:48 am

Do you even have any idea how these rates work?
The member rate also is a refundable rate...

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 10:34 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 26398769)
Do you even have any idea how these rates work?
The member rate also is a refundable rate...

This is what it says...

Terms and Conditions

Cancellation of this reservation is subject to the hotel cancellation policy.
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes

invalyd Mar 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Andaz Maui is very strict with their cancellation policies. Even the regular "refundable" rates must be cancelled 21 days prior to arrival.

Membersince2013 Mar 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 26400059)
Andaz Maui is very strict with their cancellation policies. Even the regular "refundable" rates must be cancelled 21 days prior to arrival.

Yup, this person is right. Hence i said "a month before arrival"

robizzle Mar 28, 2016 7:18 pm

As others have mentioned on this thread and travel blogs, this place is definitely playing games with their availability of garden view rooms for award nights.
I had to switch some dates around for my reservation, and ended up just cancelling my all-points purchase and low and behold no more garden view rooms, at all, not even the dates I originally booked. And I checked immediately after, and have been frequently checking all night, there is NO way anyone else got that room.