FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

invalyd Mar 1, 2016 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Max M (Post 26269908)
I emailed the GM per canyonleo's with the contact info provided, well upthread 48 hours ago, and have yet to hear back from him.

With our stay happening in ~48hours, perhaps someone here who has stated recently at the Andaz Maui could answer the following question:

Does Morimoto have a room-charge agreement with the Andaz Maui?

[If there is not such a room-charge agreement, I would assume Morimoto does not accept Hyatt Gift cards.]

Also, does Morimoto offer any sort of happy hour offering? [discounted drinks, appetizers, etc.]

Thanks!

I charged Morimoto to my room and earned 3x HGP points on my Hyatt Visa. However, that might not be the case if you pay the bill with them directly.

flymax77 Mar 2, 2016 1:35 am

Just booked the rarely available points and cash awards... called the diamond line and had them cancel my 25K point redemption, and instead switch it to 2 p+c nights ($221 each after 40 resort fee and taxes) +12,500 points each

Since I was about to book one more night with cash, this saved me about $15-$20 bucks over the $360 hyatt rate + taxes and fees

The stay credits and bonus points earned for elite status are worth more as well, as opposed to not getting any of those when using full points....

Lastly, I bought the eBay Hyatt gift cards using eBay gift cards purchased from OfficeMax for 5x ultimate reward points, which I will use when I check out.

I was downgraded to platinum after failing the status challenge, so it is going to suck to pay the $50 breakfast fee out of pocket, but oh well.

Also, I am cab'ing/walking to costco from the airport to buy some booze when i land, where then also the uber x are only $25-$30 to the andaz as opposed to the only non-uber x available directly from the airport ($65-$85 estimate)

Since we will be posting up in Wailea and not needing a rental car this trip, there will be no need for the kihei parking option, and we will just be using uber x's to get around instead... this saves hassles and dollars when compared to daily rental rates vs uber usage

sam_goh Mar 2, 2016 7:22 am

Have you actually checked if enough cars run? I don't remember uber being viable in December.

DjRashonal Mar 2, 2016 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 26271640)
Have you actually checked if enough cars run? I don't remember uber being viable in December.

They tend to be mostly available by the airport....getting one back from Wailea might be a problem, big PITA, or a REALLY long wait.

Michael Ad Mar 2, 2016 7:52 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 26270163)
I think there's something somewhere that Morimoto's doesn't earn GHP though even if charged to room bill?

Sounds right - I can pull my receipt, but I think these were under the ineligible charges area. So they don't earn the Hyatt bonus at the desk, but if you pay with your Hyatt Visa for the room, sure, you'll get 3x that way.

Michael Ad Mar 2, 2016 7:53 am

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 26270750)
Just booked the rarely available points and cash awards... called the diamond line and had them cancel my 25K point redemption, and instead switch it to 2 p+c nights ($221 each after 40 resort fee and taxes) +12,500 points each

Since I was about to book one more night with cash, this saved me about $15-$20 bucks over the $360 hyatt rate + taxes and fees

The stay credits and bonus points earned for elite status are worth more as well, as opposed to not getting any of those when using full points....

Lastly, I bought the eBay Hyatt gift cards using eBay gift cards purchased from OfficeMax for 5x ultimate reward points, which I will use when I check out.

I was downgraded to platinum after failing the status challenge, so it is going to suck to pay the $50 breakfast fee out of pocket, but oh well.

Also, I am cab'ing/walking to costco from the airport to buy some booze when i land, where then also the uber x are only $25-$30 to the andaz as opposed to the only non-uber x available directly from the airport ($65-$85 estimate)

Since we will be posting up in Wailea and not needing a rental car this trip, there will be no need for the kihei parking option, and we will just be using uber x's to get around instead... this saves hassles and dollars when compared to daily rental rates vs uber usage

Don't forget, for close local trips, you don't even need Uber X. The hotel will drive you around Wailea.

Michael Ad Mar 2, 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by DjRashonal (Post 26271777)
They tend to be mostly available by the airport....getting one back from Wailea might be a problem, big PITA, or a REALLY long wait.

I heard people complaining about lack of Uber availability there also, last trip. Remember the motto: On Maui, everyone is either a massage therapist or a real estate agent, or both.

koctail Mar 2, 2016 10:46 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 26268670)
I believe the property has to have the lowest rate room type available for you to use these... if only a higher rate room type (like ocean or partial ocean view) are available, then you can't use the award for it. At this property the lowest rate type room is Garden View. Thus, if you only see Mountain View, then the lowest isn't available... Mountain View is not the lowest.

Thanks yes, after reading a lil more on this thread I see that garden view is the lowest. Do they have like 2 of those rooms so its virtually impossible to use the free night certs? Is using points treated the same way? Should I bother trying to contact the property direct or can they even help with these sort of redemptions.

Michael Ad Mar 2, 2016 10:50 am

Keep watching each day. Availability really fluctuates. But I've stayed twice and, in the end, gotten exactly what I wanted each time including DSU use, points nights, and P+C nights.

canyonleo Mar 2, 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by koctail (Post 26272764)
Thanks yes, after reading a lil more on this thread I see that garden view is the lowest. Do they have like 2 of those rooms so its virtually impossible to use the free night certs? Is using points treated the same way? Should I bother trying to contact the property direct or can they even help with these sort of redemptions.

Two, no... I'll guess four (two Queen and two King rooms totalling four total rooms available for awards). Sucks, yes, big gaming the system by this property. But, as the next post notes, availability does open up as target dates approach (use a four night minimum and also try individual nights), so keep trying - I've never had any luck in booking all my exact dates all at once as opposed to piecing together what I want over time.

flymax77 Mar 2, 2016 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by DjRashonal (Post 26271777)

good to know, ill make sure i leave enough time or worst case have to eat the extra cost of a taxi

flymax77 Mar 2, 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 26272820)
Two, no... I'll guess four (two Queen and two King rooms totalling four total rooms available for awards). Sucks, yes, big gaming the system by this property. But, as the next post notes, availability does open up as target dates approach (use a four night minimum and also try individual nights), so keep trying - I've never had any luck in booking all my exact dates all at once as opposed to piecing together what I want over time.

ya i was suprised that points and cash all of a sudden opened up for this weekend, last night

flymax77 Mar 2, 2016 5:05 pm

can anybody recommend the best place to snorkel on a paid tour when leaving or being picked up by the tour guide from the Andaz?

I did the Molokini later afternoon tour last year for pretty cheap, but the current was kinda rough and hard to get close to the rock to see the most fish.

TIA

Michael Ad Mar 2, 2016 5:29 pm

Have you snorkeled right at the hotel reef? South end of the beach, snorkel around the point and to the next beach down. It's really pretty good, actually.

flymax77 Mar 2, 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad (Post 26274857)
Have you snorkeled right at the hotel reef? South end of the beach, snorkel around the point and to the next beach down. It's really pretty good, actually.

I have not - this is my first time to Wailea... last year I went to the Hyatt Maui Kanapali, so we just took the cheap late boat out to molokini...

This sounds great though, and I will check out the andaz reef first, this may be enought for us

thanks for the tip!