FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

ZBigFam Jan 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Just stayed here right before Christmas and was upgraded to a suite on an awards stay (rare yes I know). We had a suite and a connecting room. For me the pantry breakfast was more than suitable. Yes you don't get your own personal juicer but that wasn't that much of a draw for me. We tried the full breakfast experience one of the days we were there and while it was good, it wasn't amazing at all. It wasn't worth the upcharge.

The suite was beautiful, the standard connecting room was okay. It was very zen to me and i like how the bathroom is hidden into the wall but it wasn't horribly disappointing. It may a bit "spartan" due to its minimalist design but it was still very nice.

While I am not a Hawaii expert by any means I stayed at the regency and the andaz. The andaz shines because of the amazing beach and great snorkelling as well as their very good beach service. To me its a great hotel, yes its pricey (but I was on an award stay). Would I ever pay retail, HECK NO, would i return on an award even though i wasn't confirmed into a suite? ABSOLUTELY.

dewby Jan 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 24166565)
Excellent post Colin.

I would return to this property -- it's a lovely romantic getaway -- but I'd also realize you need to stop at the market down the road to get some nibbles and drinks or your tab is going to be exhorbitant. Those small $16 drinks add up fast, as does the overpriced but excellent poolside bar and snack menu.

I don't get the clamor for P & C. At some properties, it's not feasible and this is one of them. At $400 a night to be confirmed into a suite is a great deal. That said, I have to be honest and say that the regular rooms that diamonds receive are really 3 star and disappointing to the extent that I wouldn't come to the property if I wasn't guaranteed a suite.

My view of this is similar but I don't think this has to do with cheap diamonds.

My vacation per night hotel is always 400-800$ a night but I do expect something for that.

Hyatt has a loyalty programme and those of us that don't live in the US have to work hard to get and maintain. No easy credit card or free nights for us.

My point from reading these things is the attitude at the hotel seems to be a little anti diamond and loyal guest.

my stay is paid and although a P&C would have been nice it is not.

Considering this is flyer talk I wonder what uproar would appear if for example airlines did not serve Dom P in the F cabin to award flight ticket holders and only served them a coach meal..... Are those flyers that use upgrades on plane seat or award bookings cheap too? Hmmm. I don't think there are many on here that have never taken advantage of these perks.

Not a fair comment Colin, sorry.

I am not suggesting that Andaz should give everyone who has diamond, a suite for 200$ a night. Over my time it is closer to 600$ For a standard room.

Why did I consider staying here? Because I am loyal to the brand and it is the first place I look. That is the business they get from so called cheapo diamonds who give lots of cash $ to Hyatt.

Ender4576 Jan 15, 2015 6:40 pm

My wife and I are looking to book several nights using points in March, and currently all that's available are Garden Queen rooms for the days we're looking at.

Has anyone had success in booking nights with points and then upgrading with $ (either beforehand or upon check-in)? I wish there were nicer rooms or suites available to book with points, and I'll be checking daily to see if anything opens up. However, if there isn't, we'd be open to paying $ for an upgrade to an Ocean View King.

ZBigFam Jan 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ender4576 (Post 24175547)
My wife and I are looking to book several nights using points in March, and currently all that's available are Garden Queen rooms for the days we're looking at.

Has anyone had success in booking nights with points and then upgrading with $ (either beforehand or upon check-in)? I wish there were nicer rooms or suites available to book with points, and I'll be checking daily to see if anything opens up. However, if there isn't, we'd be open to paying $ for an upgrade to an Ocean View King.

I just stayed there a few weeks ago and was able to upgrade at check in.

RTW1 Jan 16, 2015 1:00 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 24166565)
I don't get the clamor for P & C. At some properties, it's not feasible and this is one of them.

P+C is to get you into a basic room, any upgrade with a DSU is capacity controlled as well (different iventory that cash + DSU) so the property can easily ensure that they at least get the basic revenue for a suite while still offering P+C.

What's happening here that the Andaz wants to maximize revenue for all rooms. Nothing wrong with that, but that argument works at ALL properties. Having a feature in a loyalty program where properties can opt-out of is not very helpful, it's bad enough already that there is an option to opt-out of the use of DSU's.

peteropny Jan 16, 2015 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Ender4576 (Post 24175547)

Hyatts award nights always book into the entry level room - perhaps a garden King could open up but not the ocean view ones. I don't recall reports at this property but I'm sure they would consider upgrading your room for a cash payment. I would suggest that you go ahead and book your award nights and then contact the property directly to arrange the upgrade. You don't mention your status, if you're Diamond chances are pretty good that you'd get a partial ocean view anyways - YMMV.

spgplat21 Jan 16, 2015 9:30 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 24176889)
P+C is to get you into a basic room, any upgrade with a DSU is capacity controlled as well (different iventory that cash + DSU) so the property can easily ensure that they at least get the basic revenue for a suite while still offering P+C.

A little off topic, but I think some properties were putting different availability on the P+C DSUs vs. the revenue DSUs when it first started, but it's my understanding that this is not supposed to be the case and that if the right suite type is available you can use the DSU whether you're on a revenue stay or a C&P stay.

I looked for the thread where this was discussed and couldn't find it, but it seems like I remember this being the case. Maybe someone has had some more recent experience with it. I know intially I had to push back at one particular property on this and the diamond agent was able to get the DSU applied by calling the property. That said I don't think the Andaz does this because I had two rooms and each time I saw a POV suite open up online I called and had no issues applying the DSU to my 2 P+C reservations.

Nehawk Jan 16, 2015 9:46 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 24178793)
A little off topic, but I think some properties were putting different availability on the P+C DSUs vs. the revenue DSUs when it first started, but it's my understanding that this is not supposed to be the case and that if the right suite type is available you can use the DSU whether you're on a revenue stay or a C&P stay.

I looked for the thread where this was discussed and couldn't find it, but it seems like I remember this being the case. Maybe someone has had some more recent experience with it. I know intially I had to push back at one particular property on this and the diamond agent was able to get the DSU applied by calling the property. That said I don't think the Andaz does this because I had two rooms and each time I saw a POV suite open up online I called and had no issues applying the DSU to my 2 P+C reservations.

It should not matter if you are on a revenue stay or P&C. I very recently had an issue with Hyatt saying that P&C + DSU was not available, only revenue + DSU. I contacted Gold Passport Concierge and they confirmed this should not be the case.

Here's a thread for reference where Gold Passport Concierge says P&C + DSU should have same availability as revenue + DSU.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...s-c-p-dsu.html

RTW1 Jan 16, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks, that is great news... Although I rather prefer that a property limits suite availability then opts-out of P+C altogether, but that's whishful thinking.

peteropny Jan 16, 2015 12:03 pm

I'm not sure what the story is with this property now - about 2 months ago I was told there were no suites available for suite awards (points) for my dates but DSUs were (no P&C as indicated). That doesn't sound right to me since I always thought that DSU = award inventory which is not necessarily any inventory of the entry suite. So I went searching and got a BRG approved then applied the DSU.

Colin Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm

DSU uses the last available for sale suite inventory. For the specific category of suite that is designated for the DSU program.

Wholly unrelated to free award night suite inventory.

Ender4576 Jan 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 24176040)
I just stayed there a few weeks ago and was able to upgrade at check in.

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking -- what did you upgrade to and for what price? Was it an award booking to begin with? Just trying to get a sense of what to expect upon check-in.

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 24178772)
Hyatts award nights always book into the entry level room - perhaps a garden King could open up but not the ocean view ones. I don't recall reports at this property but I'm sure they would consider upgrading your room for a cash payment. I would suggest that you go ahead and book your award nights and then contact the property directly to arrange the upgrade. You don't mention your status, if you're Diamond chances are pretty good that you'd get a partial ocean view anyways - YMMV.

Thanks for this! I am Platinum, not Diamond...although I tweeted with @HyattConcierge and they told me they added a request for a complimentary upgrade, not sure what that means exactly.

thucanhho Jan 18, 2015 11:51 pm

I am here now and have read every post on this property. As I see it, the problem with this hotel for Diamond is not how it currently is, but the fact that it gave Diamonds so much at the beginning and started to take more and more away.

Anyone who came here today for the first time without reading this thread think it is a great redemption at a Category 6 for location alone. Think of all the Category 6 in NY and what it offers in comparison. I guess I was one of the last to be able to use C+P with DSU, but in making this booking it was less than $350/night which was reasonable and I did not really get a great point redemption by using C+P.

The Pantry Breakfast is better than most domestic Hyatt properties and has plenty of options.

I don’t remember anyone mentioning it, but it had one of the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve slept in even if it’s slightly on the softer side.

Thank you again to canyonleo for sharing the Kihei option. Word of caution, it may be a challenge to navigate the 1st trip from parking to the hotel if you arrive after dark.

Colin Jan 19, 2015 2:10 am

Same here. On propery. Loving it all. Full ocean suite for P+C and DSU. Great drinks. Food is killer in both dinner places. Every staff member has been super friendly. Housekeeping is on the ball, responding quickly to every request (i.e. Diet Coke instead of the 3 sugary free items in minibar).

suite2suite Jan 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho (Post 24192413)
I am here now and have read every post on this property. As I see it, the problem with this hotel for Diamond is not how it currently is, but the fact that it gave Diamonds so much at the beginning and started to take more and more away.

Anyone who came here today for the first time without reading this thread think it is a great redemption at a Category 6 for location alone. Think of all the Category 6 in NY and what it offers in comparison. I guess I was one of the last to be able to use C+P with DSU, but in making this booking it was less than $350/night which was reasonable and I did not really get a great point redemption by using C+P.

The Pantry Breakfast is better than most domestic Hyatt properties and has plenty of options.

I don’t remember anyone mentioning it, but it had one of the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve slept in even if it’s slightly on the softer side.

Thank you again to canyonleo for sharing the Kihei option. Word of caution, it may be a challenge to navigate the 1st trip from parking to the hotel if you arrive after dark.

Still better than 25k points. When you add the tax on $350 you got a 2cents redemption per point . It's not always easy to get more than that.

Totally agree with you on the comfortable bed and the breakfast is still one of the best. Where else could you get as many as twelve+ different kind of fruits?