FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

missmelon437 Jan 31, 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 26110050)
Two separate things, really.

If you can get ANY room with a C+P, then a Poolside Suite with money, you can do C+P and DSU. Just book the C+P and then call and apply the DSU.

Currently no C+P availability for, apparently, any period of time in June. Points are available. I called Andaz and this is the cost to upgrade per night:

Mountain $25
Partial Ocean King $50
Full Ocean King $100
Pool Side Suite $175
Partial Ocean View Suite $255
Full Ocean View Suite $400

slippahs Jan 31, 2016 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 26110050)
Two separate things, really.

If you can get ANY room with a C+P, then a Poolside Suite with money, you can do C+P and DSU. Just book the C+P and then call and apply the DSU.

As noted up thread, had some issues doing this through GP line earlier this month. Calling the hotel resolved the issue, but the GP line repeatedly told me that just because a poolside suite is available, does not mean it can be booked using a DSU + C+P.

PHX_SOUS Jan 31, 2016 8:11 pm

Man I have a love-hate relationship with this place...

Checked tonight and I can book a Points reservation for 5 nights, but the Points+Cash reservation requires an 8 night stay. Was hoping to apply DSU to my stay so checked with Gold Passport.

They confirmed that P+C requires an 8 night minimum and when I mentioned this seemed odd I was told "With points + cash they are subject to hotel occupancy constraints unlike full point awards."

mnredfox Jan 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS (Post 26112858)
Man I have a love-hate relationship with this place...

Checked tonight and I can book a Points reservation for 5 nights, but the Points+Cash reservation requires an 8 night stay. Was hoping to apply DSU to my stay so checked with Gold Passport.

They confirmed that P+C requires an 8 night minimum and when I mentioned this seemed odd I was told "With points + cash they are subject to hotel occupancy constraints unlike full point awards."

Love hate, great way to put it.

pickles1107 Jan 31, 2016 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by missmelon437 (Post 26112684)
Currently no C+P availability for, apparently, any period of time in June. Points are available. I called Andaz and this is the cost to upgrade per night:

Mountain $25
Partial Ocean King $50
Full Ocean King $100
Pool Side Suite $175

This is the first I have seen of copays on top of an all points award. Very interesting options there -thanks for posting.

RTW1 Jan 31, 2016 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS (Post 26112858)

That's the rules for P+C.... a property can determine if and what to offer. If they choose to have a minimum stay of 8 nights that's still better than not offering it at all.

ringingup Feb 1, 2016 2:07 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 26111983)
What details are you asking about? If just his experience, then no worries. If you are asking for instructions, please use PM to avoid having such information posted. Thx

The former!

milemonkey Feb 1, 2016 5:28 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 26113268)
This is the first I have seen of copays on top of an all points award. Very interesting options there -thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by missmelon437 (Post 26112684)

Mountain $25
Partial Ocean King $50
Full Ocean King $100
Pool Side Suite $175

I wonder if these rates to upgrade would also apply to a C&P stay?

missmelon437 Feb 1, 2016 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 26114313)
I wonder if these rates to upgrade would also apply to a C&P stay?

Not sure, but I just called back to confirm and apparently the cost is now $250 per night for upgrade to Pool Side Suite.

invalyd Feb 1, 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 26113851)
The former!

Sorry for the delay. The experience has been great. We valet'd during the day and grabbed our car around dinner time then parked at the Kiheh Option upon returning. I haven't checked out yet but assume I won't be charged for the day time valet. It's a quick and pleasant walk to the Andaz, although there are quite a few creatures on the beach at night which freaked my girlfriend out a bit.
There's also a bearded old man we saw every day who has his car permanently parked there (it's covered with a grey cover). He can be a bit frightening at first site but is quite friendly. We saw him every day and he seems to live out of his car there, so I really don't see any issues in terms of ticketing/towing. As mentioned, most likely you will have to clean up some leaves/flowers off your car so it's worth checking on daily.
I would definitely recommend using the Kiheh option for anyone staying here.

All in all my expectations for this property were surpassed, from the suite upgrade to breakfast ($97 a day for 2 people without Diamond status!) to the friendly staff. I was skeptical about the upgrade, but I really do believe the property makes an honest effort to accommodate guests with status. They are popular and usually near capacity, so I don't suspect thy are gaming anything.

I really do feel bad for people paying full rates with no status however, as there is a bit of highway robbery going on in terms of pricing.

We bought drinks from the Kiheh Safeway and filled the Andaz water bottles provided at check in with the drinks so we could enjoy them poolside.

Diamond amenity was fantastic, an excellent bottle of wine and truffle chocolates, worth well more than 1,000 points.

Morimoto is absolutely incredible, and definitely worth splurging on for a nice meal. Probably the best sushi I've ever had outside of Japan.

They weren't able to offer a late check out for the suite but gave us a standard day room to use instead.

The only downside to this property I would say is there are a LOT of stairs. So be prepared for a little workout.

Any other questions, just ask.

Aloha

ringingup Feb 2, 2016 4:01 am

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 26118859)
Sorry for the delay. The experience has been great. We valet'd during the day and grabbed our car around dinner time then parked at the Kiheh Option upon returning. I haven't checked out yet but assume I won't be charged for the day time valet. It's a quick and pleasant walk to the Andaz, although there are quite a few creatures on the beach at night which freaked my girlfriend out a bit.
There's also a bearded old man we saw every day who has his car permanently parked there (it's covered with a grey cover). He can be a bit frightening at first site but is quite friendly. We saw him every day and he seems to live out of his car there, so I really don't see any issues in terms of ticketing/towing. As mentioned, most likely you will have to clean up some leaves/flowers off your car so it's worth checking on daily.
I would definitely recommend using the Kiheh option for anyone staying here.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I've sent you a private message as I'd be interested in having instructions on how to use the Kihei option! :-)

m0hamed Feb 2, 2016 5:10 am

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 26118859)

We bought drinks from the Kiheh Safeway and filled the Andaz water bottles provided at check in with the drinks so we could enjoy them poolside.

Grey Goose and Soda works nicely in the Andaz water bottles.

ssimon86 Feb 2, 2016 12:37 pm

Do they really care if you bring alcohol from outside the hotel by the pool? Are there rules against it or do they just get pissed? I'm planning on buying some drinks from the hotel and grabbing some wine elsewhere.

invalyd Feb 2, 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ssimon86 (Post 26122072)
Do they really care if you bring alcohol from outside the hotel by the pool? Are there rules against it or do they just get pissed? I'm planning on buying some drinks from the hotel and grabbing some wine elsewhere.

As long as there's no glass involved you should be fine.

rkoechel Feb 2, 2016 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 26122406)
As long as there's no glass involved you should be fine.

On a recent stay some waitresses ignored the fact I had brought my own alcohol to the pool. On the last day one waitress informed me there was no outside alcohol allowed but let me know I could finish the beer I had open.

I'd say keep it somewhat hidden and your fine. Or toss it in a water bottle as suggested.