FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

lebowski2222 Jul 11, 2014 10:24 am

I actually have my Car Rental reservation for the Enterprise in Kihei because the savings cost is almost $250 and its only a 5 minute walk to the andaz, i plan on taking the bus from the airport to get there. Wonder if they would allow overnight parking each night?

hailstorm Jul 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23180591)
Why would one better tolerate a resort fee? Most hate resort fees, avoid them, and often don't pay them (e.g. Diamonds on point stays). I would avoid or game a resort fee, where I could, same as a parking fee.

Given a choice between one or the other, I would prefer a parking fee. That rewards those who choose not to rent a car.

rebooted Jul 14, 2014 12:07 am

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I recently completed an incredible five-night stay in July 2014.

I used valet the first night, since we appreciated the hotel staff's help to move our bags to the room anyway, and then chose to use canyonleo's "Kihei Option" the other four nights, without any issues. It is a solid 10-minute walk on the beach to or from the hotel, but since we usually just had one big outing per day when we needed the car, it made sense for us. Others who need the car more often than once a day may feel reasonably justified that the valet fee is worth the convenience. When we checked out, the hotel had automatically charged us valet fees for all 5 days (so it seemed clear they weren't necessarily checking if we were actually using it, since we weren't), but they quickly removed the charges for the last 4 days when we explained that we didn't use it at all during that time.

Also concur with the statement earlier about the complimentary outrigger canoe trip. It's truly generous of the hotel to offer it, and I greatly enjoyed it and spotted 3-4 turtles on the trip, but the guy who did it really could have been much friendlier. I signed up for the earliest available spot upon arrival at the hotel, which wasn't until after our 4th night, so spots fill up fast.

Also appreciated the complimentary sunscreen from certain towel kiosks near the pool (the staff will pour you some in a plastic shot glass).

andysiz Jul 17, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm trying to book a few nights for July 2015, but unable to get any rooms to show as available (same when I call in). I get this error: "The hotel is not available for your requested travel dates. It is either sold out or not yet open for reservations."

Strangely, if I look for a reservation checking in June 20, 2015 or before, the webpage shows availability through the end of the calendar. For example, I see no availability when trying dates like July 1-July 6, but if I put in June 20-July 6, it shows availability and I can continue with booking. For the extreme example, I see availability when trying June 20-July 17, but no availability when trying June 21 (and forward) -July 17.

Any one have any idea what the deal is? Thanks in advance!

sam_goh Jul 17, 2014 9:44 pm

@andysiz - minimum night stay? This property has a really long min stay required during Christmas for example.

andysiz Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23216046)
@andysiz - minimum night stay? This property has a really long min stay required during Christmas for example.

That's what I was thinking too, but I was unable to get June 21-July 17 to work, despite June 20-July 17 working (any July checkout date works so long as check in date is June 20 or before).

It seems to me like something is blocking any booking with a check in date after June 20. It also does not appear to be an issue with releasing availability X days in advance - I had the same problems yesterday (unless they release availability in waves, kind of like Southwest). A very weird issue this is.

rideride2 Jul 23, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting all our details planned out for our honeymoon and would love details on the Kihei Option, feel free to PM. Thanks!

Colin Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rideride2 (Post 23242685)
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting all our details planned out for our honeymoon and would love details on the Kihei Option, feel free to PM. Thanks!

just use Google.
Google Maps Andaz Maui.
Use the information from this thread, 10 minutes walk along the beach.
Find street parking (aerial view) along a street that might be referenced as "Kihei"

manku Jul 23, 2014 12:19 pm

It seems that virtually everyone here is a Hyatt Diamond...I'll post my 2 cents as a mere platinum.

I used the Hyatt CC rewards for four nights last month...the hotel was pretty open, but then it seems that a last minute group booked the remainder of the hotel selling it out.

We got zero platinum recognition, and among the worst rooms in the house (overlooking parking lot on 5th floor)...the only good thing about our room was we didn't have to take the elevator during our stay...the 5th floor is the main/lobby floor. The rooms themselves (at least the standard ones) are very small and cramped for an Hawaiian luxury resort. The design is for a couple, not a family.

The breakfast may be great, but I'm not paying $200 (for my family of 4) for some muffins, fruit and coffee. At $45, it is the most expensive buffet breakfast in the state of Hawaii, I believe.

Valet parking (and $30 fee) is annoying, but other hotels also have it...such is life.

I found service ranged between overbearing and totally aloof and absent. I once went into lobby, and there wasn't an employee in sight (middle of day)...other times, there would be a half dozen standing around, doing nothing. Personally, I prefer the traditional counter. Also, it felt weird trying to talk to them...it always felt like I was interrupting them.

The pools look nice, but really aren't great for swimming or playing (the whole vibe of the hotel seems to discourage the presence of children). Also, there is very little shade and grass. It seems more like a Miami Hotel (or Cancun) than a Hawaiian Hotel.

Beach is nice in AM, gets too windy in PM...limited amount of chairs/umbrellas - get there early to set up.

Nicest part of stay was sitting on grassy area by beach during sunset...no other guests any night!

For $250-300/night, I might stay again...however, it's not in the same league as the Kea Lani or FS, IMHO.

kenbo Jul 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by manku (Post 23244493)
We got zero platinum recognition, and among the worst rooms in the house (overlooking parking lot on 5th floor)...the only good thing about our room was we didn't have to take the elevator during our stay...the 5th floor is the main/lobby floor. The rooms themselves (at least the standard ones) are very small and cramped for an Hawaiian luxury resort. The design is for a couple, not a family.

I've always been under the impression that Andaz is not a family-oriented brand. From the decor to the night club (at least in San Diego), it just doesn't seem like a place for a family, unless the kids are 16+ and they'll think it's cool to stay there.

pickles1107 Jul 23, 2014 8:23 pm

For $250-300/night, I might stay again...however, it's not in the same league as the Kea Lani or FS, IMHO.

I haven't stayed at the 4 Seasons, but have stayed at the Kea Lani. Our family preferred the Andaz, but our kiddo is too small to enjoy the water slide, etc.

thucanhho Jul 23, 2014 9:36 pm

It seems that virtually everyone here is a Hyatt Diamond...I'll post my 2 cents as a mere platinum.

I used the Hyatt CC rewards for four nights last month...the hotel was pretty open, but then it seems that a last minute group booked the remainder of the hotel selling it out.

The breakfast may be great, but I'm not paying $200 (for my family of 4) for some muffins, fruit and coffee. At $45, it is the most expensive buffet breakfast in the state of Hawaii, I believe.

Valet parking (and $30 fee) is annoying, but other hotels also have it...such is life.

I found service ranged between overbearing and totally aloof and absent. I once went into lobby, and there wasn't an employee in sight (middle of day)...other times, there would be a half dozen standing around, doing nothing. Personally, I prefer the traditional counter. Also, it felt weird trying to talk to them...it always felt like I was interrupting them.

The pools look nice, but really aren't great for swimming or playing (the whole vibe of the hotel seems to discourage the presence of children). Also, there is very little shade and grass. It seems more like a Miami Hotel (or Cancun) than a Hawaiian Hotel.

Beach is nice in AM, gets too windy in PM...limited amount of chairs/umbrellas - get there early to set up.

Nicest part of stay was sitting on grassy area by beach during sunset...no other guests any night!

I know this is harsh, but why would you expect recognition for platinum status that can be obtain for $75 with the Hyatt CC when most Diamonds are spending thousands.

kenbo Jul 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho (Post 23247136)
I know this is harsh, but why would you expect recognition for platinum status that can be obtain for $75 with the Hyatt CC when most Diamonds are spending thousands.

I don't know that how much someone spends to achieve status is really relevant. Everyone has different budgets, priorities, loyalties to different programs, etc. Status is status no matter how it was earned, and the hotel did not deliver.

If Hyatt wants to give CC holders another reason to cancel the card, not delivering on the promised benefits is one way to go about it.

hailstorm Jul 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by kenbo (Post 23247258)
If Hyatt wants to give CC holders another reason to cancel the card, not delivering on the promised benefits is one way to go about it.

What promised benefits were not delivered in this case? 2pm checkout? Free internet? Bonus points?

Sounds more like the poster was dissatisfied in general, not that any kind of "promised benefits" weren't delivered.

Colin Jul 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23247479)
What promised benefits were not delivered in this case? 2pm checkout? Free internet? Bonus points?

Sounds more like the poster was dissatisfied in general, not that any kind of "promised benefits" weren't delivered.

I think it is reasonable for a Platinum to except a few words of recognition at checkin and assignment to a room that is better than the worst rooms at the property. And, if only the worst room is available because the whole hotel is booked full with other Platinums and Diamonds, a few simple words of explanation for why.