Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by invalyd
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that one opening up. Makes sense as that one is the cheapest price.
Just learned that even if a Poolsode Suite is available, does not mean that it is bookable with a DSU. So there's some capacity control there.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:33 pm

Forgive me if this is already covered in this gigantic thread:

I just called Andaz to check availability for 4 nights in May 2016. I was told that I can old use free-night certificates or UR points if I book a minimum of 5 nights; however, even then, only two of the five nights I wanted were available for reward redemption.

I'll call back later to try my luck. Anyone ever run into this before?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thegadfly
Forgive me if this is already covered in this gigantic thread:

I just called Andaz to check availability for 4 nights in May 2016. I was told that I can old use free-night certificates or UR points if I book a minimum of 5 nights; however, even then, only two of the five nights I wanted were available for reward redemption.

I'll call back later to try my luck. Anyone ever run into this before?
not true. maybe try calling HGP instead of the andaz directly. also you can search award availability online, so no need to call at all (unless you want to apply a DSU).

looking forward to my first stay here next week. just hoping I can get upgraded to a king room, as my SO and I are booked into 2 queens right now.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Just learned that even if a Poolsode Suite is available, does not mean that it is bookable with a DSU. So there's some capacity control there.
ah, that's too bad. i saw it briefly open for 1 of my 3 nights next week, but by the time i went to call a few hours later it was gone. not sure how much i care at this point, i'll just use my DSUs elsewhere and enjoy the rest of the resort offerings.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
I don't think that is supposed to be the case. Was this the property directly or the generic HGP line?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this property considered a 'resort' in the sense that Diamond's can't force a room to be available here?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Originally Posted by invalyd
not true. maybe try calling HGP instead of the andaz directly. also you can search award availability online, so no need to call at all (unless you want to apply a DSU).

looking forward to my first stay here next week. just hoping I can get upgraded to a king room, as my SO and I are booked into 2 queens right now.
Good luck - my wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and could not get upgraded to a king, even a garden view. Manager said resort was full. Maybe it was.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Good luck - my wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and could not get upgraded to a king, even a garden view. Manager said resort was full. Maybe it was.
were you a diamond at the time / did they have garden king's available for sale?

i've been calling frequently, but am told nothing can be confirmed until check in.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pickles1107
I don't think that is supposed to be the case. Was this the property directly or the generic HGP line?
Generic HGP line. I called the Andaz directly this morning a little after 8 HST and the great GSA was able to make the P+C booking and apply the DSU. Agent confirmed there are only three pool suites. When we were last here a few weeks after the property opened, the DSU confirmed into the Andaz suite. We had the last one on the first floor facing the main pool and the top of Morimotos. At the time, the property was having a VIP only party at the pool that we could watch from our balcony. Now it looks like we'll be in the makai tower again but facing the adult pool. No view, but we see the ocean all the time so an ocean view is not important to us.

Ka'ana Kitchen is probably top three on my list of places to eat In the State. I posted a while back that the chefs were willing to bend over backwards during breakfast. I'm hoping we've manage to return to baseline on that front!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:32 am

Glad you were able to get it sorted out. I do not think you will find the breakfast the same as you experienced during opening (reports of fresh fish, poke bowls, bento boxes to go). That said the breakfast is still excellent.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

Question Pool Suite?

Upcoming paid stay of 3 nights. Applied a DSU and placed into a pool suite. We are a family of 3 (9year old who is a swimmer).

Can anyone who has seen these suites comment? Are they any more desirable than a regular suite? Downsides? Should I ask to be upgraded to a different suite type or stick with it?

Thanks for your insight.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:19 pm

Question Pool Suite?

The poolside suites (there are 3) are on the first floor, facing North. So there is no ocean view and the rooms are a bit darker.

I have stayed in both the x39 suite and poolside suite. While I prefer the view, my girlfriend likes to swim before bed, and obviously, the pool is right off the patio.

We don't spend much time in room anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jason_stn21
Upcoming paid stay of 3 nights. Applied a DSU and placed into a pool suite. We are a family of 3 (9year old who is a swimmer).

Can anyone who has seen these suites comment? Are they any more desirable than a regular suite? Downsides? Should I ask to be upgraded to a different suite type or stick with it?

Thanks for your insight.
Just checked into a pool suite. Agree with the comments above that sunlight or ocean views are not readily apparent but we'll likely get some sunshine in the afternoon. It really depends on how important that ocean view is to you. We don't care, so we love the easy access to the pool, which is literally ten feet from your sliding door. There are also two lounging chairs made up with towels and a basket of pool towels by the door. Nice touch.

Also while the Kaana Kitchen experience wasn't as good as our first go round (where we had the chef go out of his way to cook us steak and eggs), we still had a very good meal. The fried poi mochi dough was great. Wife still thinks the breakfast buffet at the Andaz Tokyo is better though.

No late checkout out of our pool suite since another diamond is checking in on our arrival date, but in exchange for us vacating the room on time, they have offered us a courtesy room that we can use until our late flight back to HNL, giving us every reason to stay on site and dine at Kaana Kitchen once more.

Careful on the activities offered under the daily resort fee. The standup paddle board lessons that should be offered on the weekends are only offered on Wed and Fri. Everyone I talk to seem surprised that the website and even the insert that comes with the key cards says it's offered on the weekends.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:58 pm

I had 3 nights booked, 2 with points, last with P+C + DSU. I saw today that the second night had a pool suite open up today. Was able to switch over from all points to P+C with DSU to match the booking type for my last night.

They also converted my points only night to my wife's free credit card night that just posted.
Appreciate the flexibility showed by this property.

Has anyone used e-giftcards here? Do you actually need a physical printout or can I purchase on Staples.com 1 day prior to checkout and show them my email from my phone?

Is Kihei option alive and well still?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107
I had 3 nights booked, 2 with points, last with P+C + DSU. I saw today that the second night had a pool suite open up today. Was able to switch over from all points to P+C with DSU to match the booking type for my last night.

They also converted my points only night to my wife's free credit card night that just posted.
Appreciate the flexibility showed by this property.

Has anyone used e-giftcards here? Do you actually need a physical printout or can I purchase on Staples.com 1 day prior to checkout and show them my email from my phone?

Is Kihei option alive and well still?
I will be trying it this Saturday and can report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.