Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Bangkok Restaurant? On Dairy Road across the street from the Shell Station?

It closed and re-opened as a different Thai restaurant. I haven't tried it yet.

-David
Yes, Bangkok, used to be our first stop upon landing if we came in on a mid-day flight from L.A.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by wonghenhen
This hotel is really below expectations in many ways. Service was lacking. No diamond recognition. Unfriendly staff and not knowledgeable. Very fake. Employees look like they don't want to be there. Nothing good about wasting 25k points here. I had much better experience in kaanapali Hyatt and park Hyatt Maldives. Did not feel welcome. Will not be back!!!
I was there this past April 2015 and would call it one of the best experiences of my decades with Hyatt.
That's not to take away from or challenge your own negative experience
But my experience clearly contrasted yours thankfully with some exceptional team members.
I'm not sure how much has changed since I was last there but I felt the hospitality was above average with some select notable stand outs.

What particular issues could you share with us where did they not deliver Diamond Recognition?
My advice would be to contact "Hyatt Consumer Affairs" where they can detail the notes of your stay and hopefully address, make improvements where it may be necessary
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 15, 2015 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:17 pm

I'm with 777.

For decades I had the attitude that Hawaii (mostly Maui) is not special enough for use of my valuable points (although I used plenty of Nights after Nights or whatever it was called back in the day reward stays). But, I'm a repeat guest here, always on points.

I'd ask wonhenhen, if one is a Hyatt program devotee, with plenty of HGP points, why wouldn't one use those over paying cash if one wants to stay in Makena/Wailea? Where else is one going to stay - pay at Fairmont or Four Seasons? Not me, too pricey. Pay at Marriott? Yuch. IMO, location location location.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I'm with 777.

For decades I had the attitude that Hawaii (mostly Maui) is not special enough for use of my valuable points (although I used plenty of Nights after Nights or whatever it was called back in the day reward stays). But, I'm a repeat guest here, always on points.

I'd ask wonhenhen, if one is a Hyatt program devotee, with plenty of HGP points, why wouldn't one use those over paying cash if one wants to stay in Makena/Wailea? Where else is one going to stay - pay at Fairmont or Four Seasons? Not me, too pricey. Pay at Marriott? Yuch. IMO, location location location.
For those of us who try to use points everywhere, don't forget the Grand Wailea. Not really my cup of tea, but I have stayed there on points (not with my kids unfortunately).

I have my first Andaz stay coming up and I'm hoping it becomes a regular spot for our trips. My current top choice is the Fairmont, but I don't feel especially strong about that.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Yes, Bangkok, used to be our first stop upon landing if we came in on a mid-day flight from L.A.
What I heard previously is that the same Thai woman that was cooking there before is still cooking there now, she's just not the owner of the new business. Their green curry was great.

I really should try it one of these days I hope the green curry is as good as it was before.

-David
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Not sure if the change was recent or has been like this awhile, but it appears that the occupancy limit for the King rooms has been lowered to 2. Combined with the reclassification of room type nerf, this makes it even harder to get award rooms here for families.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:39 pm

What I heard previously is that the same Thai woman that was cooking there before is still cooking there now, she's just not the owner of the new business. Their green curry was great.

I really should try it one of these days I hope the green curry is as good as it was before.

-David
I tried it the other evening, I had green curry with shrimp and white rice. I got it to go. It was really good, the green curry was nice and spicy, excellent, not inexpensive ("not inexpensive" describes most things here), the shrimp are a little smaller than they used to be, the portions a little smaller, the place was redecorated. It's a little nicer than it used to be.

So for an order of green curry with shrimp and a medium white rice, which would give you at least 2 nice portions, it was about $21 - $22 with tax.

It's now called Tiki Thai Restaurant.

-David
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Angry

what the heck is the deal right now with booking andaz maui on points?

I checked dates all the way out until October 2016 and could not find one points rate avaialble?

Can a rep from hyatt please comment on this?

the system seems broken?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by rb23lb
what the heck is the deal right now with booking andaz maui on points?

I checked dates all the way out until October 2016 and could not find one points rate avaialble?

Can a rep from hyatt please comment on this?

the system seems broken?
Check them one day at a time. Or call or pm/email Gold Passport Concierge.

I checked a random date in Oct 2015, and points rooms are available.

If Andaz Garden King is available, then points booking should be available.

-David
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rb23lb
There have been issues with award stays only being available with a "minimum stay" of seven or eight nights (I forget which).
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:08 am

Check them one day at a time. Or call or pm/email Gold Passport Concierge.

I checked a random date in Oct 2015, and points rooms are available.

If Andaz Garden King is available, then points booking should be available.

-David
Garden King or Garden Queen(s) type will book to award.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: United club, Hyatt Plat...
We stayed here last week. Amazing vacation. Everyone is very friendly and the beach location could not have been better.

We are Hyatt platinum and we booked through Hyatt price match. They price matched and beat by 20% partial ocean view room. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a premium 7th floor ocean view room. To our surprise we had daily amenities delivered to our room. Wine bottle everyday and an assortment of ahi tuna, local fruit, and other simple types of foods free of charge.

They play very soft hawaiian music in the pool area, you can only hear it while near the pools so not sure of the earlier comments about loud music. The pool bar has some very nice food, I enjoyed the pork fries a little too much. Nightly music and ambiance is very hawaiian and relaxing.

The staff wasn't awkwardly friendly either like previous comments, if you didn't make eye contact, they left you alone, when you did they were very nice. The beach staff was very nice as well, anything you needed was accomondated with a smile. Never had to wait for a valet or wait in line to speak to someone at the hotel. The check in and check out process was very nice, done on the couches with an ipad. Very simple and quick.

The ambiance of the hotel is more modern but you still feel like you're in Hawaii. The rooms are not all that spacious but spacious enough. We had a 7th floor king bed. The blinds never went up in the middle of the night like previously mentioned. Very nice rooms but I have to agree... the sinks are kind of awkward, too shallow for my taste. Shower and shower heads could not have been better. The patio furniture is something you will find in a college dorm room but we placed the couch on the patio and enjoyed that very much. The staff didn't seem to mind either since it was never moved back in nor did we get any complaints about that.

I spoke with the GM through email, very nice, personable and accomondating. Seems like all the previous negative posts have been addressed. We enjoyed our stay and will visit this location again when back on Maui

Regarding the parking... you can park at the boat launch, it's about a mile walk and you can either walk by the street or on the beach. The beach walk is very pleasant but if you are carrying anything more than a back pack, you do not want to walk all that way. We did not mind the valet charge even though we walked passed the boat launch every day. The beach is very nice in that part of Maui.

We stayed at the 4 seasons and the Ritz on Maui... we prefer the Andaz over both of those resorts.

Ohh and to add... my wife went to the spa for a massage and she raved about it. She said it was the best massage she had ever received, which is saying a lot.

Last edited by Goonie; Sep 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:20 pm

Hello Guys. I need help with booking at Andaz. I have 4 free night through Chase Hyatt but when i try to book for next April it shows nothing available to book through points. I also tried searching by each night too. With $$ they have mountain view standard rooms available. I read in another blogs that situation like these can be resolved by calling Hyatt directly. Jus wanted to check if its a possibility or mountain view rooms are not considered standard rooms. Plz advise.
Thank you.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
Hello Guys. I need help with booking at Andaz. I have 4 free night through Chase Hyatt but when i try to book for next April it shows nothing available to book through points. I also tried searching by each night too. With $$ they have mountain view standard rooms available. I read in another blogs that situation like these can be resolved by calling Hyatt directly. Jus wanted to check if its a possibility or mountain view rooms are not considered standard rooms. Plz advise.
Thank you.
Look at the post two posts above yours. This has been discussed at least two dozen times in this very thread.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Look at the post two posts above yours. This has been discussed at least two dozen times in this very thread.
Thanks Andrea. I actually read the thread but jus not the post above looks like I won't be able to book it as its not showing any garden view room. The only available room is mountain view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.